• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 1,415 Views, 83 Comments

Battle Ready: The Rising of Sin - D101 Reviews



Battle Ready is a stranger to Ponyville. A unicorn nopony has ever seen around the town before, he is now Ponyville's temporary librarian while Princess Twilight Sparkle is away. Battle however has a secret. A dark past he'd rather leave be

  • ...
5
 83
 1,415

Chapter Twenty-Two

The soft breeze brushed the fringe from Battle's face as he lay under the shade of an apple tree. He lay with his arms folded behind his head, eyes closed, trying very hard to not think of anything much. His ear twitched as a sudden gust of wind blew into the shell but he didn't react other than that. One might even assume he were asleep. Fluttershy at least seemed to think so and had convinced the others that he must need to rest in order to recover from his injuries.

He didn't mind. He was enjoying their company, and this moment of tranquility. He tried very hard to push the idea that this would be the quiet before the storm. Instead he tried to focus all of his attention on the conversation the girls and Spike were having.

"Magic is just so different over there," Twilight was saying. "I think that's what was the most unusual thing."

"Zebras are almost always Earth ponies aren't they?" Rarity asked. "I mean that's at least what Zecora says. It's hard to imagine a culture where unicorns and pegasi don't really exist."

"Oh believe me guys, they thought the idea where ponies could fly was bizarre," Spike chirped up. "They think flying for a pony is unnatural. Actually in Zebra culture a long time ago being born with wings was often believed as a sign of godhood."

"Oh really?"

"He said a long time ago Dash, don't mean they'll be worshiping you any time soon," Applejack chuckled.

"Oh come on, ponies already worship me," Rainbow Dash chuckled.

"I think worship would be overestimating it a little Dashie," Pinkie said. "I know that a lot of ponies really really really admire you though if that makes up for it."

"You put that many reallys in front of admire Pinkie, you might as well say worship. Wanty another apple juice 'Shy?"

"Oh, thank you."

The sound or a bottle being thrown caused Battle's ear to twitch. Given Fluttershy's squeak and the sound of the bottle hitting the grass, Battle could only assume she had fumbled the catch. An issue given that the patch where they had set up for a picnic was on an incline.

"Wait I'll get it for you Fluttershy," Spike cried as Fluttershy apologised for messing up a simple catch and Rainbow Dash reassuring her that it was okay.

"So anywho Twilight," Applejack said trying to restart the conversation, "Zebrika."

"Oh come on it's not like I'm the only one who has anything to say about Zebrika," Twilight laughed lightly. "I mean I'm sure Battle could say a thing or two."

"But Battle's asleep and you're not sooooo."

"And Battle darling still needs to recover from his excursion into the Everfree," Rarity chimed in. Twilight snorted and Battle could imagine her rolling her eyes.

"Please he's probably listening to every word we say right now," she said evenly.

"Yeah, sure, he's just 'resting his eyes,'" Dash muttered with as much sarcasm as she could muster.

"Not all of us use resting one's eyes as a euphemism for sleep Dash," Battle muttered opening his left eye a crack. Rainbow whipped her head around to look at him and he poked the tip of his tongue out at her.

"You wouldn't have been trying to bail on conversation there would ya partner?" Applejack smiled, though with a reproachful stare. Battle rolled his visible eye.

"I had nothing of interest to contribute to the conversation," he shrugged. "And besides." He opened his other eye and shot Twilight a quick glance. "I'm pretty sure no one... wants to hear my experiences of Zebrika." He closed his eyes and breathed in through his nose before sitting up and clapping his hands. "And that's my contribution to the conversation aren't I a delight to have over for dinner?"

There was a small, awkward pause for a moment as Battle reached into the hamper and pulled out a few bread-sticks.

"Well there's plenty more I'm sure I'd would like to hear about on Zebrika," Rarity said at last reaching for another sandwich from the hamper. "I think Battle's made it clear that topic of conversation is over with."

"You're welcome," Battle sang.

"Well then, if we're done with Zebrika," Twilight said straightening her glasses and looking at Battle. "And since he's elected to rejoin the conversation, I'd like ask Battle about his goddess."

Battle cocked an eyebrow. "You say that like I'm religious and that there's only one."

"Whoah whoah whoah what's this goddess Twilight's talking about?" Rainbow asked, confused. "Warhorse has that sort of thing?"

"All cultures have some sort of deification with which they worship or fear," Battle replied. "Just look at Equestria and Discord the Lord of Chaos."

"That's very true. I would like to hear about all of the gods of the Warhorse pantheon but for now I'm more interested in the one called Antares? Am I pronouncing that correctly?" Twilight clarified for Battle. He nodded slowly and licked his lips.

"Antares. The goddess of Peace and Victory."

"Yes, that one."

"Why is there a goddess for peace and victory?" Rarity asked. "That sounds antonymous."

"It is the will of Antares that following the blessings of her victories, then peace shall be sown," Battle explained, crossing his legs unconsciously in the lotus position. "The soldier's of Warhorse pledge their lives to the hope that no war need ever be fought again. And so the soldier's of Warhorse pledge allegiance and show faith to Antares to guide them to victory and usher in peace behind."

"Do you... um... worship her too Battle?" Fluttershy asked timidly. Battle lightly clicked his tongue and reached beneath his shirt collar and hooked a delicate golden chain on his thumb and pulled it up for the girls to see. On the chain there was a small charm hanging on it; a small ball of alexandrite encased in a golden cage. A series of intricate and tiny symbols was engraved into the bars of the cage.

"One of the more common vestures for followers of Antares," Battle explained. "It's not much but I'm not much of a believer if I'm honest with you. Not many soldiers are true believers. But we believe in what Antares stands for and recite her prayer the night before battle."

"I don't think I ever seen you wear that before Battle," Applejack muttered.

"I keep it hidden," Battle shrugged, tucking the charm back underneath his shirt. "I don't like to make a big thing about it anyhow."

"There was writing on it if I'm not mistaken," Twilight said, leaning forward. "Though I couldn't make it out."

"Sharp eyes Princess. The symbols on the charm of Antares is merely a simplified version of her prayer."

"Which is?"

"No glory. No riches. My life for peace in our time," Battle recited.

"Always with the whole self sacrifice," Rainbow Dash sighed rolling her eyes. "Come on do none of you want to make it home?"

"Wow Dash that's a great deal of tact ya got there," Applejack whistled. "'Sides it's not like any of them want to die fightin'. It's jus' an expression I reckon."

"You'd reckon correct," Battle confirmed.

"This adds some context," Twilight muttered and Battle looked at her confused.

"Context to what?" Battle asked.

"The Warhorse army battle cry," Twilight elaborated. "What was it again?"

"Victorium omnibus modis," Battle recited in the foreign tongue of ancient Warhorse. "In the common tongue it roughly translates to-"

"Victory at all costs," Twilight finished for him. "You know, that expression made me wary of Warhorse for the longest time."

"Because it makes us sound like all we care about is winning the fight," Battle conceded nodding his head slowly.

"But after hearing what victory means for Warhorse it's less intimidating," Twilight admitted. "Still extreme but... less intimidating at least."

"An improvement," Battle agreed.

"Gotta say though Battle yer people have a way with words," Applejack said. She tried working her mouth around the Warhorse call to arms a few times and shook her head in defeat. "Can't do it. Sorry if I butchered yer language there partner."

"None taken," Battle reassured. "It's not even the language anymore. Was sort of eclipsed by the more common languages. Most Warhorse soldiers are multilingual these days anyway. Helps with negotiations if we don't need to be running around looking for an interpreter."

"But you speak it?" Rarity asked.

"Not fluently," Battle admitted. "I know a few phrases here and there."

"Let's hear one then language stallion," Rainbow Dash smirked leaning forward. "Impress us."

Battle chuckled and clicked his tongue as he thought of something to say. "A tuam spinis rosa est pulcher adhuc," he said at last.

"Sounds pretty flash," Spike said, crunching on a gemstone. "What does it mean?"

"Rose is derived from rosa so it's something about roses," Twilight said chin in her hand.

"A rose with thorns is still beautiful," Battle translated, a small flush rising in his cheeks as he saw how Fluttershy immediately ducked behind the curtain of her hair.

"A nice sentiment," Twilight admitted.

"There's something of a romantic emerging in you Battle," Rarity said smiling broadly, before clapping her hands together and turning to the group of gathered friends. "Speaking of romance: the gala!"

Battle felt his chest constrict a little. The Grand Galloping Gala. He hadn't told any of the girls he'd be attending the Gala himself, and he hadn't told Twilight about the potential danger she might be walking into. He knew Twilight had put stock in his theories about the chimeras, yet he had no proof that they would attack the Gala. He might just be paranoid for all he knew. He couldn't put stress like that on Twilight's shoulder's if he was wrong, but he couldn't send her into the Gala unprepared if he was right.

He bit the inside of his cheek. What was Celestia thinking throwing the Gala on like this? Even if she didn't know the exact circumstances that surrounded the events of Nightmare Night, she must have extracted some information from the female chimera they'd captured. Then again, Equestria didn't have the same interrogation tactics employed by Warhorse. He glanced over at Twilight for a moment. And even then Celestia had no reason to tell him her reasoning. If she had asked Twilight to keep her thoughts between the Princesses, who was he to comment?

"Um.... Battle?"

Battle blinked and looked up. The girls were all staring at him, Fluttershy looking a bit concerned.

"You... you alright there buddy?" Spike asked. "You kinda looked like you had something on your mind."

"Sorry," he muttered, scratching the back of his head in what he hoped was an embarrassed manner. "Just, some stuff on my mind from back home y'know?"

"I feared we had lost you with talk of the gala," Rarity sighed, breathing easy with relief, before turning to Twilight. "Do you suppose as Princess you could issue Battle with a ticket to the Gala Twilight darling? I feel as though Battle has truly become a member of the group and the evening wouldn't be quite complete without him."

"Not necessary Rares," Battle said before Twilight could reply. "Special delivery came the other night. Ya boy is an honoured guest of Princess Celestia."

The group all stared at him again before Rainbow whistled. "Kept that quiet didn't ya Battle?"

"Kinda took a while to process it myself if I'm honest," Battle admitted shrugging. Rarity squealed in delight and started clapping her hands delicately.

"Forgive my excitement darling but I simply must start the design of your suit immediately! The gala is nearly upon us and I will not forgive myself if you and Spike are not cutting the most dashing figures of the whole evening!"

Battle looked across a Spike and popped a grape into his mouth. "You heard her Spike. You better be on the pull." The young dragon cocked his head.

"I don't get it."

Battle smirked and gestured for Dash to pass him some apple juice. "Warhorse expression don't worry about it."

"But what does it-?"

"He said don't worry 'bout it Twilight," Dash sighed cutting Twilight's inquisition off as she tossed Battle a bottle. "Probably doesn't mean much anyhow. Big question is, anyone got a plus one to their tickets?"

"That ain't how they work Dash 'n' you know it."

"Which totally ruins the party atmosphere! I mean the gala would be so much more super duper fun if you could bring a date with you!"

"I don't think the Grand Galloping Gala is really a date kind of event Pinkie," Battle said sympathetically. She stuck her tongue out at Battle, but when combined with her usual beaming smile, any potential malice was immediately lost before she turned to Fluttershy.

"Is Discord coming this year Fluttershy? it was super duper fun when he came to the Gala last time!"

Fluttershy smiled sadly and shook her head. "He said he wasn't feeling up to it this year. Said he'd be watching with some popcorn if something weird happens."

"Oh boy, that can't be a good sign," Battle sighed. Spike chuckled at this, before his cheeks suddenly ballooned outwards and he belched in a cloud of white-grey smoke and glittering green ashes that fell into Twilight's lap as a rolled up scroll.

"That could be jus' as bad knowin' how Celestia drops things on us out of nowhere," Applejack muttered as Twilight broke open the wax seal holding the red ribbon in place and unfurling the scroll. As she began to read, Battle cracked open the seal of his apple juice and began to drink. His mind wandered back to the Gala for a few moments, trying hard to force negative thoughts out of his head.

Twilight meanwhile had finished reading and wound up the scroll again before setting it aside, leaning back on one hand and readjusting her glasses with the other. "Princess Celestia updating me on the foreign dignitaries coming to the Gala," she explained to the girls. "A lot of guests are thinking of pulling their attendance after the events of Nightmare Night."

Battle nodded slowly at this as the other girls began talking about the gala again. Rarity was talking about the exotic guests that might be at the gala. Applejack was talking about how much of her family's new and improved sparkling apple wine Celestia wanted for the Gala. Rainbow Dash was postulating on the possibilities of doing a late evening lap around Canterlot if things got too predictable. Pinkie Pie was simply excited that all her friends were excited. Twilight seemed happy to be home again. Spike was smiling and laughing with his friends with childlike glee.

He looked across at Fluttershy who was quietly nodding with something Rarity was saying. She noticed Battle looking, and was just about to say something when there was a high pitched shriek of a bird of prey from overhead. Everyone looked up sharply, and Battle got to his feet in surprise as a bird dived from overhead and began circling the picnic area.

"What in the hey is that!" Applejack shouter getting to her feet.

"I think it's a falcon of some kind," Fluttershy muttered. Indeed she was correct as the bird appeared to a very large falcon with a snowy white plumage. "I don't recognise the species though."

The falcon shrieked again and suddenly dived, though not as if it had spotted prey. Fluttershy held out her fist up high for the falcon to perch on, making soothing calls to try and gain the bird's attention. Its attention however was not on the pegasus. The falcon made one pass over the group before it swooped around and landed with grace on Battle's shoulder.

"Oh Battle don't startle it," Fluttershy whispered as Battle looked at the bird, edging close toward Battle with her hands up in a peaceful appeasing manner. "it might attack and hurt your shoulder."

The other girls and Spike looked between Fluttershy and Battle in a concerned wary fashion. Battle however was looking at the falcon. In particular the plumage. The markings were instantly recognisable to Battle and he smiled suddenly as a warm feeling of familiarity and home swelled within him. As the bird began to preen itself Battle reached up with his other hand to stroke the feathers on the back it its head.

"Oh oh Battle be careful," Fluttershy whispered.

"'Sokay 'Shy," Battle murmured as he moved to sit back down, "This lil guy is mine." He turned to face the girls and Spike as the falcon turned to affectionately nip at Battle's finger. "This is Ryuk."

"Since when did you have a pet bird?" Dash demanded, looking at the falcon suspiciously.

"Since I enlisted," he muttered smiling as Ryuk made his way across his back to perch on his other shoulder. "Dad thought a messenger bird would help." Battle affectionately stroked Ryuk's beak. "Lazy lil bugger though aren't you Ryuk? Did you fly all the way from Legion?"

"He's beautiful," Fluttershy whispered as knelt down next to Battle to be on eye level with the Falcon. "What breed is he? I've never seen a bird like him before."

"He's a gyrfalcon aren't ya buddy?" Battle said proudly. "Imma have to get some treats for you. Didn't think you'd be joining me out here in Equestria."

He suddenly noticed that there was a light shimmering in Ryuk's eyes. Not so bright that it was obvious but bright enough that he knw it was not a product of his imagination. Gently he pressed the tip of one finger to Ryuk's forehead. At once the spell in Ryuk transferred the message that had been dictated to him back to Battle. The voice of a mare not much younger than himself sprang into his mind.

"Battle, it's Tac here. Ryuk's been making a racket since you were sent on leave and frankly I'm sick of cleaning his shit up. I've sent him to join you wherever you are. Honestly Dad reckons you'll be a little homesick and seeing Ryuk so you've got a bit of home with you might cheer you up. And... no one's expecting you to recover from what happened instantly. I miss you sure but, you need to heal. Spiritually more than anything else mom says, but she also says if... if... that starts bleeding again that you're to go to the nearest hospital and get it look at... Um... Blackbird's finally up and walking again if... you know it doesn't matter. Fuck I can't erase it. Um... okay look Battle... just... relax okay? And goddamn write okay? I'm not having you sending Ryuk at stupid o'clock okay...? Love you Battle. Alright how do I-?"

The message cut off abruptly and Ryuk flapped his wings to balance himself as Battle removed his finger. He could feel the beginnings of tears form in his eyes and he quickly wiped them away. Ryuk leaned in to nip at his ear in affection before he took off again as Battle took a deep breath in through his nose and looked after Ryuk.

"Ahhhh you bitch making my cry out of nowhere like that," he whispered chuckling. The others were looking at him with concern, and at each other in a clueless fashion. Finally Twilight cleared her throat.

"Did... Ryuk give you a message Battle?" Twilight asked.

"Yes," Battle said quickly, trying to divert his attention. "Yes, he did."

"Well... how'd he deliver it to ya partner?" Applejack asked. "Ya'll just looked at him for a while and then he took off 'n' you started crying."

"First of all I don't cry," Battle replied sticking his tongue out. "And second of all it's magic. Physical messages are deemed an unnecessary security risk as Warhorse lacks a medium through which to transport messages near instantaneously." He nodded at Spike before adding, "Not for lack of trying mind you. Anyway messenger falcons are enchanted with a spell that allows them to store verbal communications in a small mental reservoir for single use replay. As you all saw only the recipient of the message hears it so even if a falcon is captured no one but the designated recipient may hear the message. Even if recipient and bird were captured it still wouldn't do any good to whoever wanted to listen to the message."

"How can you be so paranoid about post?" Rainbow Dash snorted. Battle smiled at this and began to climb to his feet.

"Paranoid or not, I think it's time I head back to the library," he said. "I need to make sure Ryuk will be settled anyhow. He's probably dying for a decent kip." He picked up his jacket and looked over to Fluttershy. "Is it alright if I bring him around later for a check-up? Make sure he didn't do anything stupid on the flight over?"

"Oh absolutely!" she beamed. "He's such a gorgeous bird. I'd hate to think that he was injured in anyway."

Battle gave her the thumbs up and threw his jacket over his shoulder and said goodbye to each of the girls. As he began to make his way towards Ponyville, he looked upwards and whistled a single high-pitched note. In response, Ryuk shrieked again and circled over head, before landing on his other shoulder. Pinking sniggered and looked at the others as he walked away.

"He is so anime right now," she giggled.


Battle walked through Ponyville, several ponies looking at him curiously. More over they were staring at Ryuk. The falcon was gently preening himself on his shoulder as he walked towards the library. Battle himself was thinking. Thinking about his home in Legion. About his family. About his... his friends.

He opened the door to the library and let Ryuk fly off around the tree searching for a perch. Battle went straight to his equipment bag and reached into one of the pockets for a crumpled up page torn from a book. On the page were seven etchings of Cutie Marks. Two in particular stood out to Battle as he looked at the crumpled paper. The first was a sword and battle axe crossed over a blizzard, both weapons glowing in a blood red glow. The mark had been marred by a much later pen that had crossed over it.

The other was a thick heavy book, bound in chains, locking it closed. The chains glowed with a sickly green aura. Battle looked at this mark for a long time before he pulled a fresh piece of paper from his desk and, with magic, affixed it to the wall behind his desk. He quickly drew a hasty sketch of the green hued Cutie Mark as throwing knives from his arms beg began to float from their bindings to Battle's hands.

He stepped back from this and turned, walking across the room and pulling ten knives from the air as Ryuk settled on the windowsill above him. He cocked his head as he watched Battle inspect his knives, then squawked loudly as Battle spun on his toe and threw each knife with perfect accuracy into the marking he'd quickly sketched, the blade tips sinking through the paper into the wood of the shelves behind it.

The knives flew back to his hands, pulling the paper from it's magical mooring. Before it could start to float down to the ground however it was pinned in place again by ten throwing knives once more. Battle's combat axe flew from it's sheath in the bag into his hand and he threw it with all his might into the paper and the shelf behind it. Battle's crossbow flew into his grasp and he fired one bolt, two bolts, three, four, five into the paper before he dropped it.

His eyes were filled with a deep fire that burned like a star at the bottom of the ocean. He was glaring at the now ruined drawing he had made of the Cutie Mark and he knew that he would do the same to she who bore it. Knew that no matter what happened he would bring ruin to her and stop her from hurting his friends.

Battle gripped his necklace tight.

"Victorium omnibus modis," he muttered to himself.

Comments ( 1 )

Anymore coming or you done with this? I really loved your other battle ready stories, would be a sad day if this joined the grave yard.

Login or register to comment