• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 8,252 Views, 201 Comments

Scattered Seeds - 111segasonic



Killing the un-dead. That sums up all Barry did during the apocalypse. With his intelligence and an arsenal of plants he was invincible. But now, rather than brain-dead zombies, Barry faces new, smarter enemies. Can his ultimate defense stand?

  • ...
33
 201
 8,252

An Apple a Day...

Books piled on the floor as Twilight de-shelved her library. She took down each book and, after briskly scanning the contents, added it to the pile. Shelf by shelf was emptied by the purple alicorn.

"Spike! Did you find anything?" she called to her assistant, levitating several books.

Spike lied lazily on a pile of books. He was reading an interesting book he'd just found. "Nope, nothing yet," he replied.

Twilight levitated Spike's book with her magic. "I understand you had other plans for the day," Twilight said. "I did too. But when Princess Celestia gives an order, we make it our top priority."

"Yeah, but Princess Celestia didn't order you. She asked you," Spike countered. "If you'd simply said 'no'...."

Twilight scoffed, "Say 'no' to the princess? You must be mad! If I'd refused, she'd-"

"Remove your wings and send you back to magic kindergarten?"

"Very funny Spike."

Spike chuckled at his own joke then leaped off the pile. He then chose a stack of books and quickly skimmed through each page.

Shortly afterward, Starlight walked through the door. "Don't tell me it's re-shelving day already," she grumbled.

"Not exactly," Twilight said. "Do you remember the creature I told you about? The one in the Everfree Forest?"

"Oh, the one that beat you and your friends up? Didn't you say Princess Celestia had it under control?"

"Well.... It's starting to be more of a problem than Princess Celestia anticipated. Already it has defeated two companies of guards along with Princess Luna."

"Princess Luna!?" Starlight said in astonishment. "How!?"

"It didn't do it by itself. Somehow, while we were gone, it grew an army of plants to defend its house."

"I still think it's kinda funny," Spike remarked.

"No, it's actually very serious, Spike," Twilight said, motioning to the books.

Spike sighed and continued searching through books.

"Princess Celestia requested that we learn everything we could about the creature and its war plants. That way, they might find some weakness."

"Which would explain the books," Starlight said.

Twilight nodded. "As you could see, I'm not having much luck at it...."

"Maybe if you describe this creature to me, I could help you look," Starlight suggested.

Twilight searched the back of her mind. After all, she had only seen the thing once. "Now that I think about it, it was much like a minotaur. Only it didn't have hooves or much hair. It was also less muscular and wore clothes. But its face was somewhat round, having no snout."

Starlight nodded and chipped in with the search. But even with another helping hoof, no progress was being made. Books about minotaurs, plants, the Everfree Forest, and even tornadoes were stacked in a pile. The mares had already started rechecking the books for any missed information. Two full hours had slowly passed before Starlight sat down.

"You know, Sunburst would be really good at this," Starlight said. "He has a knack for researching and tracking down certain books."

"Yes, I suppose," Twilight mumbled, turning the pages to a book.

Starlight cocked her head slightly. "Are you still in that same book? In fact, it doesn't look like you're even reading it."

Twilight looked down and noticed she was right. She grinned innocently as she lowered the book. "Whoops."

Starlight wasn't impressed. "You really don't want to do this, huh?"

"No, that's not it. I'm glad to be helping the princess. And I welcome the opportunity to review and reshelf all these books. It's just...."

"Just what?"

Twilight sighed. "I just don't understand Princess Celestia's reason to jail the creature at all."

"What don't you get?"

"I mean, it did try to hurt us, but I don't blame it completely. It was scared and acted out of self-defense."

"But what about those soldiers? And your brother? After the suffering it caused, you still think it deserves mercy?"

"Though I'm not happy about what it did, it was all still in self-defense. We were the ones bringing trouble at its doorstep. We created an army to make war against it. All it did was protect itself."

Starlight smirked. "You've been talking to Fluttershy lately, huh?"

"Well...yes. But she makes a valid point. Plus, her worry for the creature isn’t the reason I'm upset. Ponies are supposed to be peaceful and kind. Since when did we go around fighting things we didn't understand? I'm mostly surprised at Princess Celestia. After everything she taught me, I didn't think she'd act so irrationally. I might understand her wanting to protect her subjects, I guess. But shouldn't we deal with this the way we know how? Friendship?"

"I was wondering when you were going to suggest something like that. But really, if you're that worried, just go tell Princess Celestia. Wouldn't she understand?"

Twilight thought for a while. "Perhaps. But I don't want to disrespect her judgment."

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Are we going to clean this mess up or what?"

"In a moment," Twilight said, levitating another book. "I can't say I'm not curious to know more about this creature. I don't know why, but it feels like I've heard about it before. But I can't remember when or from whom...."

A mint pony, which was hiding in the room, silently slipped out the door.


I dove inside my house just as a lightning bolt struck were my feet had left. Wow, that one was close! I scrambled to my feet and raced toward the window. Upon reaching my destination, I watched the battle at hand. I've been attacked by many things, but never by a cluster of storm clouds.

Constant lightning struck my plants below. It was only by dumb luck I had filled my lawn with only lightning reeds, electric peashooters, and a few electric blueberries. The coordinated plants fired their electricity and deflected the lightning. But few lightning bolts still managed to slip through, causing a plant's fiery demise.

The flashes of light forced me to look away every now and then. The roar of thunder impaired my hearing. And to top it off, it began raining heavily. But despite it, I managed to hold my gaze long enough to see a flying horse in blue pajamas dive-bombing my plants. Is this horse for real? I almost laughed until I realized its intentions. Somehow, it effortlessly dodged the electric beams and electric balls as it moved straight for the sunflowers. In a swift motion, the horse uprooted two sunflowers and discarded them.

The horse's idiotic bravery encouraged several more horses to follow. At least two dozen horses revealed themselves and joined the first. So it was them who were behind this!

In our defenses, the electric blueberries created a barricade of lightning clouds. Yet, the horses skillfully kicked the clouds and removed them. My plants tried to keep the horses back, but that plus reflecting the lightning bolts was too much. One by one, sunflowers were plucked from my army.

These horses definitely weren't the same ones I fought a few days ago. They'd clearly stepped up their game. But as all attempts, it was in vain. The horses forgot one important flaw to their plan. I smugly planted a blover on the field.

But the horses wouldn't allow it. With their quick reflexes and incredible speed, they managed to uproot the blover.

"Whaaaaaat."

This was bad, really bad. I was losing my sunflowers fast. My options were now limited since I couldn't afford any expensive plants. The only possible way to win was by the blover.

Again, I planted another blover but got the same results. I was beginning to get frustrated. With the use of the plant food and Instant Recharge, I began planting blovers one after the other. But the horses were simply too quick. They dived, dodged, and always got their target.

Only a few sunflowers remained; I couldn't let them go to waste. I used two more plant food and gained an extra 300 sun. I only watched as the remaining sunflowers were uprooted. Now I had to use what I had left sparingly.

I turned away from the battle and put my mind to work. There had to be a way out of this that I'm not seeing. If only I had a plant fast enough to shoot the horses down.

My eyes lit up. "If I can't be faster than them. Maybe I could just slow them down!"

I quickly grabbed an iceberg lettuce seed packet and-

"What in the... a blizzard?!"

And boy what a blizzard it was. Without me knowing it, the rain had quickly switched to snow. And the snow was building up faster than normal. Though I couldn't see much through the thick snowfall, I could tell my plants were completely buried. My only protection was literally six feet under.

"There goes that plan," I grumbled. I took a deep breath and sat down. Though the situation was dire, I was able to calmly think. Time seemed to slow as I was sealed in intense thought. It was times like these why I never lost a fight. My mind reeled with plants, patterns, and possibilities. I was completely focused.

The power zap came to mind. Though victory would be almost assured, I rather keep it a secret from the horses. Only when absolutely necessary will I use it.

After a whole second of thought, I had an answer. "Wow, I feel like an idiot...." I said.

I planted a jalapeno to clear some of the snow. Immediately after, I planted an umbrella leaf. The answer was so obvious, I overlooked it. Without skipping a beat, I plant the final blover. It was over, or so I thought.

Without warning, both plants were ripped from the ground. Confused, I look around for the cause. My jaw dropped as I looked ahead.

"They can make tornados!?"

Yep, right before my eyes was a small tornado. This was definitely overkill.

Blue blurs circled the tornado over and over. I assumed it was the pajama horses sustaining the tornado from within. I wonder what would happen their flow was disrupted....

I started to time the horses as they spun around in circles. I opened my palm and spawned a blob of butter. With great precision, I reeled my hand back, chucked it, and nailed a pajama horse's face. Blinded, the horse lost control and rammed into its companions. The tornado began to wind down, leaving the horses in the air unconscious. With a triumphant grin, I planted one more blover.

"Time to blow away the competition."

The blover took a deep breath and blew harder than he ever did.


The Wonderbolts shot over Ponyville with speed comparable to Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom. They were heading straight for the Canterlot Mountain. And at their speed, the impact wouldn't be pretty. Luckily, the pegasi were trained to recover from a situation like this. They outstretched their wings and allowed drag to slow them down. But to their surprise, they were still moving too fast. Everyone braced for impact as they plowed into the mountain.

"Augh!" Soarin cried, "my leg! I-I think it's-"

"S-suck it up, Soarin!" Spitfire snapped, wincing at the pain of her twisted wing. "We were so close to winning until you clumsily lost balance!"

"Spitfire!" Fleetfoot cried, "His leg is broken, and the rest of us is wounded badly. Can we at least take care of that before you start to lecture him?"

"Well as you can see, none of us are doctors, and the nearest one is up this steep mountain." Spitfire turned to the rest of the wonderbolts. "Can any of you fly and get help?"

The ponies looked at each other before shaking their heads.

"Terrific. Looks like we could either take a long hike to Ponyville, or we could finish climbing the mountain by hoof."

"Both seem almost impossible in our state," Blaze added.

"Then I'll try to go up myself to get some help."

"No, we'll go together! None of us gets left behind!" Misty Fly said.

Spitfire smiled at her team's determination. "Fine, we'll help each other as we climb this thing. Follow me."

It was somewhere during the afternoon when the Wonderbolts finally scaled the mountain. They were tired, hungry, and in pain. Their wounds hurt a lot more than when they crashed now. It was clear they were in desperate need for medical attention.

"Hallo!" a voice greeted.

The Wonderbolts looked around in confusion. Their eyes landed on a pony in a lab coat.

"I am Dr. Bonesaw. Ze princess told me to take care of your injuries vhen you returned. I spotted you valking up ze mountain, so I came here to assist."

"A doctor," Soarin said in relief, "just what we needed."

"Ze hospital is just right here," Bonesaw said, "you should come vith me."

The Wonderbolts nodded and limped after him. Not long after, they followed the doctor into a small building. As soon as they walked in, the doctor slammed the door and locked it.

"Er...doc, is that really necessary?" Fleetfoot asked.

"I know vat I'm doing," he assured.

Something was off about this doctor, and even the room itself was strange. It looked more like an odd house without windows than an actual hospital. And something about Dr. Bonesaw's smile made Spitfire anxious to leave.

"We are grateful for your help, but I need to report to the princess immediately."

"But your ving looks broken; let me take care of it first, zen you can go to ze princess," Dr. Bonesaw said.

"We can't afford to lose or forget the knowledge we learned today, and I'm not allowing any chances to."

"I have an idea. I'll go tell ze princess, vile you stay here. If you don't get treatment now, I von't know vat vill happen to you."

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist."

She turned to unlock the door, but a hoof stopped her. "I forbid you to leave. You are my patient, and I'm entitled to take care of you..."

"Look doc, I thank you for your concern, but I'm a lot tougher than you think. I'll only take a few minutes."

Dr. Bonesaw sighed. "Are you sure I can't change your mind?"

"I'm sure."

"Too bad." Suddenly, his hoof jabbed into her wing, causing her to yell in pain. The horrified Wonderbolts ran to Spitfire's help, but Dr. Bonesaw was quick. He picked up a strange weapon from a nearby counter and fired syringes out of it. As soon as the needle pierced a pony's skin, he or she would lifelessly fall to the floor.

Spitfire fought the pain and looked at her options. Clearly, this pony was crazy but very skilled. Taking him on would be a bad idea, even without their injuries. Though she didn't want to, the reasonable choice was retreating.

"Everypony, scatter!" Spitfire ordered.

As the ponies ran, they quickly realized it was no use. Ponies were falling asleep one by one and no one could get the door unlocked. But Spitfire refused to be taken down. She dashed into another room and desperately looked for a backdoor. To her frustration, there were still no windows.

She searched for something she could use as a weapon, or maybe something to hide behind. She had barely begun when the door swung open and Dr. Bonesaw aimed his weapon.

"I vouldn't try anysing foolish if I vas you," he said, "one shot from zis syringe gun and you vill be fast asleep."

"Will it matter? I'm sure you'll shoot that thing with or without my cooperation," Spitfire said.

"True, but I'm sure you have a lot of questions you vant to get out of your system."

Spitfire continued to glare at the doctor, but he was right. A few questions did fill her mind. Maybe she could use this chance to stall for time. "Why are you doing this?" Spitfire asked.

"Because I vas asked to."

"You...were asked to?"

"Vell I'll admit, I'm am benefiting from zis arrangement."

"Benefiting how?"

"Don't you already know? I have a whole alicorn to experiment vith!"

"Wait... aren't you-"

"Princess Luna's doctor," Dr. Bonesaw interrupted, "in ze flesh."

Spitfire's eyes widened in horror. "You...you're lying!"

"Oh, I'm dead serious."

Spitfire backed up slightly. Clearly, she was in a worse situation than she thought. Now she had to escape this place and get to Celestia. Possibly, Luna's life hung in the balance. Spitfire noticed a table with a white tablecloth a few hooves away. She tried to continue stalling, but she couldn't find the words to speak.

Dr. Bonesaw chuckled as if he was reading Spitfire's thoughts. His small chuckling then grew into a sickening laughter. Something about his laugh set something off in Spitfire. Great fear dawned on the poor pony, as her instincts were screaming to run. This doctor only had one, clear motive: he was going to kill her.

Without much hesitation, she dashed for the table and kicked it over. She barely evaded the needles as she dived behind it for cover.

"There's no way out fräulein, give up."

She grabbed the tablecloth and tossed it toward Dr. Bonesaw. With him temporarily blinded, she sprinted out the room and towards the locked door. She fiddled with the lock and attempted to open the door. As she pulled the door open, she tried to cry for help, but something violently struck the back of her head. As she slipped into unconsciousness, the last thing she saw was the piercing eyes of her executor.