• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 21,030 Views, 2,723 Comments

Aftermath of a Fallen Star - Rated Ponystar



The aftermath of Twilight's assassination, and the lives she touched who must now move foward into a future without her

  • ...
90
 2,723
 21,030

PreviousChapters Next
Why? (Amadeus Blueblood)

Aftermath of A Fallen Star

By Rated Ponystar

Formerly Edited by The Unnamed Pawn and Commander X5

Pre-Read/Edited by: Magic Man, Chaotic Note, and Grand_Moff_Pony

Why? (Amadeus’ POV)

***

My name is Amadeus Blueblood.

I am the Lord of the Blueblood House, descendants of Sir Blueblood, famous Knight Commander and Second Husband of Princess Celestia. Besides Princess Cadance, we are the sole remaining royal bloodline of Equestria and one of the largest, most powerful, noble houses in Equestria. The other royal bloodlines are, shall we say, no more due to some tragic events in the past.

Being the head of a powerful house such as mine is not a job that I take lightly. In fact this is my life. This is my duty. My duty to my family, my fellow ponies, and my country. It is the duty that every head of this household has carried on their backs for hundreds of years. We saw the direction the nation was heading in hundreds of years ago, and we knew it had to be changed.. But for that we needed to grow more powerful, stronger, richer, and have more influence than any other noble.

And to some extent, even the Crown.

Princess Celestia is all powerful. She is wise, talented, kind, and charismatic.

But she is also naive.

Despite being my only living ancestor, I held little respect for a mare who has the power of the sun and yet barely used it. A mare who preferred to befriend the very enemies who sought to eat or enslave us many times in history and trusted in the nature of friendship and harmony to lead us into a golden age.

Friendship is not strength. Unity is strength.

Unity in blood, in family, and in duty.

Was it easy to amass this much power right under her nose? No, but I’m surprised we managed to get this far. While she was busy spreading the message of Harmony and focusing on her sister, my family was slowly spreading its influence in everything: military, politics, business, agriculture, magic and more. Money goes a very long way, as does alliances, threats, blackmail, and, sometimes, taking a life. The shadows are an easier place to gain power then in the light, and it is there that we Bluebloods have kept our true power.

But we do this not for ourselves like so many believe. We do this for Equestria.

Currently, I was in my lounge room reviewing the latest correspondence I'd received from my various contacts in the field, and some ponies in the government who were beholden to me alone. Many of them were expressing concerns over the continuing fallout from recent events. Others were asking if countermeasures and back up plans that I myself, or previous members of my house, had set up needed to be taken into action.

After all, it’s not often when your son murders a princess.

I calmly wrote instructions not to take action. I wasn’t worried. To be honest, I was thrilled. While on the surface it would seem we were losing our once great power, our true power was still well hidden in the dark. You don’t become as good at the game as we Bluebloods have in the past hundreds of years without a few secrets.

Turning my attention to the the day’s paper, I smirked upon seeing the headlines. “Weather Factory Employs Non-Pegasi! Traditionalists Outraged!”

Traditionalists are so easy to manipulate. Cowardly, narrow minded, ambitious, paranoid, selfish, and most of all stubborn. My ancestors knew this day would come eventually. Progression would come and traditionalists would rise to defend their way of life. All that was needed was a way to gas the fire and stoke the flames. My failure of a son and Princess Twilight Sparkle were the wood and match.

“Dear,” said a voice that woke me from my thoughts. It was my wife, Alura. Like all marriages in my family, it was arranged to those of the purest and most powerful of magic blood. And of course, it had to be unicorn blood. Any pony who mated with a pegasi or earth pony was to be kicked out and the foal, if any, aborted by any means necessary. Despite what the public thought, we weren't racists. Far from it, actually. Pegasi and earth ponies each had a equally important role to play in our nation. It was the other races, especially the predatory ones, that we had to be wary of. If we were to survive, we needed magic, and for that, we needed pure, untainted unicorn blood.

Alura was pledged to me when I was eighteen, and from the start, she did what any spouse of the Blueblood family did: obey.

I looked up at her and frowned. Her long blond mane still looked disheveled, as did her black dress, which she had refused to take off since our son died. Why she continued to shed tears for him, I have no idea. He was utterly useless as a boy and only was useful once in his adult life.

Oh, wait, I know why. She loved him.

But love is secondary.

My father never loved me, but he respected me enough to trust that I would do my duty.

And I have.

Did I love my son? No, but I had expectations for a son of my bloodline. Yet, he was foolish, weak, and pathetic. He never truly understood the teachings I gave him when he was younger. I let him do his own thing anyway, he was good for a distraction to our political rivals.

“A letter came for you,” said my wife and I took the letter without looking. I saw the seal that was on it. The symbol of Unicornia, the nation of only unicorns. I read it and smiled. “What does it say?”

“They accepted our proposal,” I said as I picked up a servant bell with my magic and rang it. I told my butler to get the special wine I had been saving. “Sit, we should have a drink.”

My wife stared at me a bit with no emotion on her face before she sat down on the chair across from mine. I watched the flames of the fireplace burn as our servant returned and poured us our drinks. My wife summoned her glass and drank it all before asking, “So we’re leaving?”

“Yes.”

“The whole clan?”

“Yes.”

“Won’t that make us look even more guilty than we already do?!” shouted Alura as she closed her eyes. “It hasn’t even been that long since our son died...”

“It’s been long enough,” I said, shaking my head. “Besides, we need to focus on the next stage of the plan.”

"Is ambition all your family cares about?" She growled the words at me, which gave me pause. Alura knew her place, and she never argued with me. "Our son, our boy is dead, Amadeus!"

“So?”

"SO?!" She shrieked. "Do you not care at all?!"

“All that I care about is that he played his part for once and did what was necessary. But, he’s not the priority here. There is another at stake. Everything I have done I have done for her.”

“... I wish my father never was in debt to your’s...” muttered Alura, biting her lip. “I wish I never married into this family.”

“Why be so saddened? You may have given this family, the key that we have been waiting hundreds of years for,” I said with a proud smile. “All the preparation. All the resources we gained. The connections. The planning. It was all for this moment. A new dawn will come to Equestria and she will lead it into the age she deserves to be after so long. And we couldn’t have done it without you. You helped us get here.”

Standing up I turned to the wall that held our nation’s flag. “We are the greatest nation in the world. We have flourished for over fifteen-hundred years, more than any other civilization in history, save for the Dragons. Yet we have not gotten stronger... just weaker... weaker, with foolish princesses and ideology that will come back to bite our flanks years later.” I snarled. “Equestria is dying but it’s not because of traditions. Such things need to be gone anyway. It’s because we lack real leadership and are afraid to use our power to its fullest. We control the sun and the moon, and yet our princesses lack the courage to use it to establish our rightful dominance.”

“So you aim to rule this new world order you seek to create?” asked my wife.

“No...” I said, shaking my head. “No, I will not rule. I have no desire to. But she will. All of this I do for her. But we must continue with the plan. The seeds of hatred have already been planted in Equestria. Now, we need only watch as they blossom into open war.”

I then turned my eyes to the letter. “And we will go to Unicornia to rebuild our strength.There she can grow, learn, and one day become more powerful than any of the alicorn princesses.”

Unicornia was the biggest gamble to this plan. It meant revealing a few secrets, but upon learning them, they were begging us to form an alliance. Hook. Line. And sinker. It would take a few years to establish our own power base there, but I would use that time to properly mold and train her.

My family’s power would be kept hidden in the shadows. We'd have to support the traditionalists when war inevitably broke out, but they were just means to an end. They believed I was one of them, when in truth they were pawns in the game my family has been playing for years.

And our goal was not to take the King, but the Queen.

I just needed to wait for the moderates and traditionalists to tear each other part first. Once they were weakened, we could come in and sweep them all away in one swift stroke.

But she would lead the charge, and in her wake, a new color would take the field; one neither black nor white.

I doubt I'll be alive to see any of it.

“And how do you plan on sneaking the entire family away with the princesses watching your every move?” asked my wife, bitterly.

“A funeral,” I answered. “I shall be in mourning over the loss of my wife who sadly died from grief tonight.”

Her eyes widened and she then turned to the glass she held. And then the glass that I had yet to touch. It didn’t take her long to figure it out, but she didn’t scream or cry. She just sighed and closed her eyes, as if accepting her fate. Truly, she was a brave mare.

Perhaps I never loved my wife like most husbands, but I respected her.

“How long?” she asked, hooves shaking.

“Two, maybe three hours,” I answered as I sat back in my seat and calmly looked over the letter’s contents to make sure everything was in order. “It will be painless. But look at it this way. Your death will provide the means and distraction for us to escape. I, of course, will play the grieving widower in need of privacy after losing his wife and child, and the press will be thoroughly taken by some extra 'distractions' I have planned. By the time they come around, we'll have sailed halfway to Unicornia. ”

We sat in silence for awhile. I planning what to do tomorrow, and she planning out her final moments. Finally, she asked, “Let me ask you one more thing. And be truthful...” I stopped and stared at her. “Did you really orchestrate our son’s death?”

“... yes,” I said with a sigh. “I admit a part of me regrets it, but it was for the greater good of the family and Equestria. Twilight Sparkle had to be stopped. She was a threat not just to us, but to her as well. Not to mention her policies were naive at best. Some of them, I did admire, but others just couldn’t be allowed. I couldn’t let her vision for our nation come true. Not after my family worked hundreds of years preparing for this very moment.”

Yes, Twilight Sparkle was a threat. Originally, I had hoped to make it so unbearable for her that she'd abdicate her position and retreat back to her quaint little library.. Unfortunately, I underestimated both her drive and the popularity of her 'reforms' with the citizenry.

But, five months ago, my family's dream was fully realized.

And that dream could never be truly safe as long as Twilight Sparkle was alive.

Recruiting my son to the task was beyond simple. I needed only to casually mention my desire to see Twilight eliminated, and his foolish drive to finally impress me took it from there. Keeping tabs on him was easy, as was figuring out Luna’s spy.

Luna may have played the game better then her sister, but she was playing under rules that were a thousand years out of date. That, and I had connections in the Lunar Guard long before her return. The only problem was Gallant Heart. But every stallion has a weakness, and Gallant’s was his brother.

A simple threat, my personal appearance (I do have a reputation you know), a little intimidation, and he sang.

“All he wanted was your love,” said my soon to be deceased wife.

I stood from the chair. "And yet he will be remembered..."

“You couldn’t have spared him?”

“No, I needed all connections erased. That servant who exposed them? He waited on my order to do so,” I said as I began to walk away.

"I hope she was worth it."

That was the last thing I ever heard my wife say.

I didn’t answer her because I knew she was worth it. She was worth the entire world. I would sacrifice all my family just to see her reach her full potential.

She would be the key to everything. Every resource, every power that our great bloodline has afforded us will be at her disposal. She will learn the greatest of magic, taught by the wisest of teachers, and amplified by the advancement of science. To be honest, my family could have taken Equestria long ago, but we needed the right mare or stallion to do it. We needed our royal blood to finally awaken its true potential.

And at last I have fathered it. Soon, one of our own will rule Equestria, and make it the strongest nation that will last for thousands of years. No longer will we be weak. We will be forever strong. Forever united.

I entered the nursery where my prized jewel lay. Twilight Sparkle was right. It was time for a change, but it would be a change unlike any ever seen.

I peered into the crib and my daughter gazed up at me with joy in her eyes... eyes the same color as her mother, and framed in a blond mane that was a copy of my own. She was only five months old and I could already see the raw power in her eyes.

I gazed upon the little horn... and the two wings she held on her back.

“Everything I have done, I have done for you, my little Majesty,” I whispered, as I stroked her cheek. “Majesty Blueblood.”

***

Five months ago A Black Star was born

In the family of Traitorous Blood

Those Who See All saw the future she would bring

And fear gripped their hearts

Author's Note:

Before anybody says anything, I have said it multiple times in this series that the Bluebloods carry the alicorn blood with them. Cadance is also of a royal family bloodline, but her alicorn blood didn't activate until she was in danger. But yes, Majesty Blueblood is the first natural born alicorn to be born of the alicorn bloodline since Celestia and Luna.

She is also the Black Star in the prophesy the Deer gave to Philomena who told Peewee.

Alright, let out your thoughts! Love! Hate! Whatever! I finally got this revealed and I want to see your thoughts! HIT ME WITH IT BABY!

Also, please help out at the Assassinationverse TV TRopes

PreviousChapters Next