• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 6,384 Views, 96 Comments

The Life of a Young Colt - Rakoon1



This is about Shining Armor's childhood and adolescence, since he was born to his promotion to captain of the royal guard, running through his relationship with his younger sister, Twilight, and his courtship with Princess Cadance.

  • ...
8
 96
 6,384

First Day in School

Shining Armor was five years old now and he was immensely excited, because that day was his first day of school. His father was already taking him to school and Shining Armor trotted ahead, all happy with his saddlebag with his school material on his flank.

"Come on, dad, or we will be late" Shining said, stopping and turning back to where his father was, a few feet away.

"Calm down, Shining, we'll get there in time" Night Light answered.

"But I want to make new friends before classes start and play a little..." Shining answered.

But he didn't finish, as he collided with something... or with somepony. He then looked up and saw a pair of eyes looking at him from above. That made the little colt get back and he could see that he collided with a large unicorn stallion with a blueish coat and wearing dark blue Royal Guard armor.

"Oh... hello" Shining Armor greeted, impressed by the stallion's size and armor.

"Hello, young colt" the guard greeted with a slight smile. "What are you doing here alone?"

But Shining didn't answered, still continuing to stare the guard.

"Shining!" a voice called.

Night Light got there.

"I'm glad I caught up with you" he said. "Try not get far from me, son, or you'll get lose."

He then noticed the presence of the royal guard.

"Oh, Captain White Light, it's a pleasure to see you."

"Night Light, so this is your son" Captain White Light said, giving Shining a noogie. "You have here a great colt."

"Yes, I know that" Night Light replied, full of pride.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he became a great royal guard" White Light commented.

"Well, that wasn't quite the future I was thinking for him, but if he wants it... maybe " Night Light replied.

When he heard the Captain White Light saying he would make a great royal guard, Shining began to imagine himself with an armor and helping and protecting the other ponies and Princess Celestia. It was a great dream for him.

"It would be a honor to be a royal guard like you, sir" said Shining promptly.

"Well, you don't lack enthusiasm" White Light commented, laughing. "That's good, kid, but it takes a lot of training and, of course, have a great sense of honor and justice."

What the Captain said confused the young colt who frowned and asked:

"What?"

White Light laughed and said, giving him a noogie again:

"There will be time for you to understand this. Well, It's better you go before you get late to school. I'm waiting for you between my guards."

"Yes, sir" Shining Armor said like a true soldier, saluting.

Captain White Light also made ​​him a salute and then walked away.

"Wow, Captain White Light is soooo cool" Shining admired. "I mean, you're cool too, dad."

"Oh, Shining, you don't have to spare me" Night Light said, placing a hoof on his son's shoulder. "I know you need a model to follow other than your old dad here."

"You're not old, dad" Shining replied. "You don't have wrinkles like grandma."

Night Light laughed and replied:

"It was just a manner of speaking, son. But, you're right, I don't have as many as her, no. But, please, don't tell her I said that. She would get mad with me."

"Don't worry, dad. Your secret is safe with me. Word of a future royal guard."

And he hit his hoof in his chest to seal the promise. Night Light then noticed how Shining was happy to hear those words from White Light. He had even been enthusiastic about the idea of being able to become a royal guard.

"Son, are you really sure you want to be a royal guard?" he asked to Shining. "Look, it's not as easy as you think."

"But, father, beeing a royal guard would be so cool" he said. "I would be able protect you, mother, granny, Princess Celestia... everypony."

Night Light laughed and then said:

"Yes, you're right. But you're still too young to think about it. You can even change your mind."

"I'll never want to be anything else" Shining said, downing his smile.

Night Light sighed. His son was really stubborn. When he put something in his head, it was very difficult to dissuade him from it.

"Well, you know what you want" Night Light said. "The choice is yours and I'll always be by your side to support you."

"Thank you, dad" Shining thanked, smiling again.

"Despite knowing that your mother will not like it that much" he said quietly. "Well, we better get going. You want to get the time to make new friends, don't you?"

"Oh, yes."

They then proceeded to walk to reach the entrance. After giving a hug to Shining, Night Light said:

"After school, grandma comes to take you, okay?"

"Why cannot be you?" Shining asked sadly. "Or mom?"

"Oh, son, we can't" Night Light replied. "I have to go work and mom too."

"Yeah, I understand" replied Shining, going to school, head down and sad.

It was always the same thing. He almost never saw his parents. He just saw them at breakfast and after only at night. During the rest of the day, he stayed with his grandmother. Despite loving his grandmother, that was not the same as having his parents by his side. But he knew it could not be as he wanted. After all, his father was one of Princess Celestia's adviser and her mother owned a great publishing house, besides being a great writer, having created the famous Daring Do books. He felt himself so alone.

It was then that his thoughts were interrupted by a ball that appeared ahead of his hooves. A colt then approached Shining Armor. He was a unicorn and he should be the same age as him with about the same height and build. He had an imperial blue coat, an eletric ultramarine mane with midnight blue streaks, coatless violet-blue hooves and glaucous eyes.

"Sorry, can you pass me the ball?" he asked.

"Sure" Shining replied, giving a kick to the ball and passing it to the colt who stopped it with a hoof.

"Thank you" he thanked, asking later. "Hey, are you new here?"

"Is it that obvious?" Shining asked, worried that everypony had noticed it.

"No, but I am also new here and you seem to be of the same age as me. My name is Blue Sword, but you can call me Blue."

And he extended his hoof to Shining Armor who smiled slightly and replied, bumping his hoof into Blue's:

"I'm Shining Armor, but everyone calls me Shining."

"Well, Shining, it's better you go find a place to put your things or the best places will be occupied. Come with me."

Shining, still uncertain, followed Blue. They saw a list where there were the classes, Shining could see that he was in the same class as Blue Sword and then they went to the classroom, where Shining placed his saddlebag on a table next to Blue's. It was not long until the bell rang and the room begin to fill up with colts and fillies occupying their places and Shining and Blue sat on theirs. Then their teacher entered. She was a young earth pony mare with a friendly look. She had a bright orange coat and a dark moderate lime green mane. Her Cutie Mark was a blackboard with a chalk ready to write.

"Hi, everypony, my name is Sweet Dust and I'll be your teacher" she said. "I hope we become great friends. Because this is our first lesson, I think, just for today, we use the class to know each other better. So, without making too much noise, you can talk to each other and in the afternoon we can talk about what we will learn in this your first year of school. If you need anything, I'm here."

Then there was the noise of chairs dragging and the sound of little voices filled the room. Blue turned to Shining and the two began talking. During the conversation, Shining could see Blue was a very nice and friendly colt. The two seemed to understand perfectly each other and they even had the same preferences: they both loved hoofball, run and do all kinds of mischief. It was then that the peak was reached when he told his dream.

"You know, I'd like to be a royal guard."

"What, really?" Shining asked.

"Yeah, you know, my father is a royal guard and I always wanted to be like him."

"You know, I also want to be royal guard. I mean, I always admired the royal guards, but it just became my dream, since, like, this morning."

"What happened?" Blue asked, full of curiosity.

"My father was bringing me to school, when I collided with Captain White Light" Shining answered.

"Wow, really?!"

"Yes, and you should have seen how he is. He's big, cool and friendly. When I saw him with that armor, I imagined myself as a royal guard to protect those I love."

"Yes, that is the best part of being a royal guard: helping other ponies."

"And have a great sense of honor and justice" Shining Armor said.

"What?" Blue asked, confused.

"I don't know, but it was what the Captain told me."

"Well, if he says so, then it's because it's important."

Shining nodded and the two laughed. Then Blue asked:

"And your father, what does he do?"

Then Shining blocked. He didn't know if he would or not respond to that. If he did it, he knew he would eventually tell Blue about his loneliness and he didn't know if he trusted him enough to tell him something like that. To his great relief, the bell rang for lunch.

"Lunch time!" Blue said. "Finally."

"Well, class, you can go lunch" Miss Heartbeat said. "You have an hour."

Everyone then got their saddlebags and went to the playground to eat outdoors. Blue and Shining found a perfect place under the shade of a tree and sat there. The young white unicorn opened his saddlebag and pulled out a paper bag with his lunch, taking out a daisies and daffodils sandwish. When he prepared to start eating, he heard Blue saying:

"No, it can't be!"

He ooked at him and saw him frantically rummaging in his saddlebag.

"What's up, Blue?" Shining asked.

"I forgot my lunch" Blue replied, giving up search and pouting. "I'm always forgetting of important things."

"If you want, I can share mine with you" Shining offered.

"Thank you, Shining, but I don't want you spoil your lunch."

"Don't worry about it. My mother put an extra sandwich. I can give it to you."

"Well, I don't know what to say" Blue said. "Thank you."

"That's what friends are for" Shining answered.

But, before he could give the sandwich, a voice called:

"Blue Sword!"

They looked and then saw a unicorn filly a few years older than the young colts with a naples yellow coat and a rust and princeton orange mane appeared carrying a paper bag with her magic.

"I glad to find you" the filly said to Blue Sword when she reached him. "You forgot your lunch and mom asked me to deliver it to you."

"Thank you" Blue Sword thanked, receiving the bag.

"You just don't forget your horn because it is attached to you" the filly joked.

"Shut up, Dahlia" he told her, blushing slightly.

"Hey, who's your friend?" Dahlia asked, turning to Shining.

"Oh, my name is Shining Armor and I'm in the same class as Blue Sword" Shining introduced himself.

"I am Dahlia, Blue's older sister" she said, ruffling his brother's mane. "And also the one that reminds him about the things he forgets."

"Could you stop doing that?" Blue asked, removing her sister's hoof from his mane and starting to straighten it out. "You're embarrassing me."

"Okay, kid, I'll leave you with your new friend" Dahlia said. "I have to go have my lunch too. Bye."

And she moved away.

"Your sister is nice" Shining commented.

"Yes, but I think she is more annoying than nice" Blue replied, grabbing a sandwich that was in his lunch bag. "She thinks she can boss me around just because she is older and I am the younger brother."

Shining sighed. He felt a certain envy of Blue. After all, he had a sister, a pony to play with and talk to, despite all their differences. But Shining, being an only child, had no such luck. Blue swallowed some of his sandwich and then noticed the sad look of his friend.

"What's up, Shining?" he asked. "You don't like your food?"

"I just can not stop noticing how you are lucky for having a sister" Shining said.

"Lucky?" Blue repeated. "Having a sister who just annoys you?"

"At least you have one" Shining said. "I always wanted a brother or a sister."

"Well, if you want to, I can give you mine" Blue joked. "You would be making me a favor."

That made Shining to start laughing and Blue joined him. It was amazing how Blue could make him laugh even when he was depressed. He really was a true friend and Shining then decided that he should be the perfect confidante. Adopting his more serious tone, Shining said:

"You know, the truth is my parents spend most of the day working and I have to stay with my grandmother most of the day. Not that I don't like her, but... I feel myself so lonely. That's why I admire the fact that you have a sister. I would love to have a little brother or sister to play with."

Blue remained speechless for what his new friend had said, but then smiled, put a hoof on Shining's shoulder and then said:

"Hey, you're not alone. After all, now you have me to play with, or don't you want to play with me?"

That made Shining smile and answer:

"Of course I do!"

Then both bump their hooves and said:

"Friends forever!"

Shining Armor could not be happier. He may not have a brother or a sister, but at least he had a good friend to talk to and play with.

Author's Note:

So that's how Shining Armor and Blue Sword's friendship began. I bet you now want to know how Blue Sword met Twilight Blue, but everything in its time.