• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 6,384 Views, 96 Comments

The Life of a Young Colt - Rakoon1



This is about Shining Armor's childhood and adolescence, since he was born to his promotion to captain of the royal guard, running through his relationship with his younger sister, Twilight, and his courtship with Princess Cadance.

  • ...
8
 96
 6,384

The Duty of a Royal Guard

Shining, who was accustomed to his life as a simple royal guard, was quite uncomfortable with his new routine as Captain of the Royal Guard. It was strange to no longer have to spend hours standing in the same spot, watching everything and everypony who approached. It was strange having all the guards saluting him whenever he passed them. It was strange having to wear the armor that once belonged to his grandfather, because now, when he saw him in the photographs, it seemed that he was seeing himself in the mirror.

Lightning Bolt taught Shining everything he needed to know to be the Captain of the Royal Guard and happened Shining was a fast learner. He didn't take long to learn everything and Lightning Bolt, with great regret to all Royal Guard, decided to stay permanently with his post of teacher at the Academy, saying Shining was ready to take the reins alone. When he said those words, Shining felt a great sadness in his voice and he knew that Fire Punch was the reason for that. Since that incident after Shining's nomination, Fire Punch disappeared and nopony knew anything about him. Despite Fire Punch being a fret, he was, after all, Lightning Bolt's son and he had every right to be concerned with him. After Lightning Bolt's retirement, Shining, as he promised, nominated Blue as his first lieutenant. With his help, Shining could endure perfectly with his new position.

His courtship with Cadance was perfect. Now they could be together without having to hide themselves from anypony, they were overjoyed. Shining's work was the only constraint on their relationship. It occupied the most of his time when he was not asleep, and sometimes even occupied part of his sleep hours. There were times when Shining was two consecutive days or more without seeing Cadance. However, the two had already faced the distance, like when Cadance had to return to her homeland. But of course when they were together, they did everything to not waste any time.

However, the worst of being the Captain of the Royal Guard was still to come. Six months after Shining become Captain of the Royal Guard, he received a message from the Royal Guard stationed in the Griffin Kingdom with serious news. He was in his office reading the missive, when somepony knocked at the door.

"Come in," he said.

Blue entered, wearing his new tyrian purple armor.

"Well, what do you think? The blacksmith delivered it to me right now. It suits me well, don't you think?"

But seeing Shining so distracted, called him:

"Hello, Equestria to Shining. Can you hear me?

Shining turned to him and said:

"Sorry Blue, but it turns out I just received a letter from the Royal Guard in the Griffin Kingdom."

"So, is it something serious?" Blue asked, sitting in one of the two chairs in front of Shining's desk.

"I don't know, but I think it could become serious" Shining said. "Apparently, one of our guards got into a fight with one of the members of the Griffin royal family."

"Wait, what?!" Blue asked. "But the Griffins are too proud. They are well able to declare us war because of this."

"Exactly" Shining said, getting up and going to the exit. "For this reason, I have to inform Princess Celestia of this immediately. She should know what we will do with the Griffins. Can you take care of things?"

"That's why I'm your first lieutenant, right?" Blue replied.

"Thank you, you are the best" Shining said, leaving.

Shining soon had informed Princess Celestia, who then said:

"We need to contain the Griffins' fury immediately, before something really bad happens. Shining, I need you to gather a team to go with you to the Griffin Kingdom as soon as possible. Blue can become responsible for the castle's guard until you return.

"As you wish, princess" Shining replied, bowing. "If I hurry up, I'll have everything ready tonight."

"Great" Celestia said. "Shining Armor, I know this is your first serious mission, but I want you know that I trust in you to fix this content with the Griffons."

"Don't worry, Princess Celestia, you can let it to me" Shining said, making a last bow and leaving.

Shining hastened to cluster a group of royal guards to accompany him and sent them to prepare their saddlebags, informing Blue about what was happening. After treating all there was to treat, Shining went to Cadance to say goodbye to her.

"Are you leaving?" Cadance asked.

"It will be for a little time, I promise" Shining said. "It's just until things settle down with the Griffins. I return later."

"But, Shining, you're not understanding" Cadance said sadly. "I'll have to go back to my homeland. Probably, when you have arrived, I'll be gone."

She let out a tear but Shining wiped it and told to Cadance, lifting her chin:

"Hey, we were already separated in this way, have you forgotten? Do you think, after all we've been through together, our love will be shaken by such a thing? You and I are united forever, my love. There's nothing and nopony that can change that. If necessary, when I arrive and you're no longer here, I'll meet you at your home."

"Are you serious?" Cadance asked, smiling.

"Of course" Shining said. "For you, I would face a whole army of changelings, including their queen. For you, I would face thousands of Fire Punchs. Cadance, you are the love of my life, now and forever."

Cadance smiled and then hugged him, telling him:

"Please promise me you'll think on me every day."

"Every hour, every minute, every second" Shining said.

That made Cadance drop a laugh and then say:

"I love you."

"I love you too."

The two exchanged a kiss.

Shining then went to his sister, who was saddened by the departure of his big brother, but he managed to cheer her up, saying that he would try to get back as fast as he could and she wouldn't give for his absence. Then he went to tell his parents. His father wished him good luck soon, but his mother was completely nervous about the idea of ​​her son being away. Already accustomed to that, Shining managed to calm her down, promising he would take care of himself and he would write every day. Then he went to his grandmother. She, when she heard about Shining's mission, was greatly concerned, given what happened to his grandfather, but she, nevertheless, wished good luck to her grandson, contending that he had immense care.

As soon as he bid farewell to all the ponies that were important to him, Shining went to his house to pack his saddlebags and when they were packed up, he headed to the train station, where a train was being prepared for the Royal Guards.

"Very well, soldiers, remember what is our mission" Shining said, when all the guards that he had chosen arrived. "We must prevent Griffins declare war to Equestria. We must bring peace. Whatever you do, don't anger Griffins any further. It would only make things worse."

"Yes, sir" they all said in unison.

The guards then began boarding the train. While they did it, Shining looked and saw Cadance coming.

"But what are you doing here?" Shining asked, going up to her and nuzzling her.

"I came to see you before embarking" Cadance said. "And I'm not alone."

And then, from behind her, Twilight appeared.

"Shining!" she exclaimed.

"Twily" Shining said, hugging his little sister. "I can't believe you came."

"Of course we came" Cadance said.

"We love you" Twily said.

"And I also love you" Shining said. "You two are my favorite mares. Both will be in my thoughts all the while I'm out."

Then they heard the train whistle.

"I have to go" he said, kissing Twilight's forehead and then kissing Cadance's cheek. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Shining" Cadance said, returning Shining's kiss.

"Goodbye, B.B.B.F.F." Twilight said, giving a hug to Shining.

He then headed to the train and before entering, exchanged a last look with his beloved sister and his beautiful marefriend. He entered and the door closed behind him. The train began to move and Shining hastened to enter a cubicle, staring out the window and seeing his most valuable assets to turn away. Despite feeling sorry for that separation, he knew it was for a short time. It would not delay until things calm down in the Griffin Kingdom and he could return.