• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 2,626 Views, 112 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 5 "Shadowhoof" - Jacoboby1



Fluttershy and Big Mac are mysteriously kidnapped during their wedding. Now Private has to play an evil game with a madpony if he ever wants to see his friends again. Shadowhoof will finally show himself and will face Private in the most epic case ev

  • ...
4
 112
 2,626

Chapter 4 "Limelight"

Chapter 4
“Limelight”

Part of me wanted to sleep against that tree all night. But, I didn’t have that option. I had to get moving. I walked out of central park as the city lights lit up the night. I walked the streets as your typical night crowd took up the place. Late Night Workers, partiers, drunks, typical Manehatten nocturnal species.

I walked past a phone booth when I heard it ring. Looks like I’m getting my next task. I walked in, put the phone to my ear and said, “Hello?”

“Don’t act like you expected anypony else.”

“What is it you want this time Shadowhoof? Where are my friends?” I asked.

“Oh, you still got a bit of a ways to go before you’ll get to be with your friends again. You took quite a bit with the last task. Heard you took a detour.”

“Did you know about Scarlet?” I said, and then shook my head, “Of course you knew.”

“Yes, Scarlet is a rather...close friend of mine.”

“What about the Bat Pony?” I asked.

“Bat Pony?”

“The one that saved my neck?” I blinked in surprise he didn’t know.

“Hmm, it seems that help comes to you whether you ask for it or not. I’ll let this go.”

So he didn’t know about the Bat Pony? Well, at least it’s good to hear he doesn’t know everything.

“Now, onto your task. I want you to get inside Limelight’s cell.”

“Limelight’s Cell?” I asked.

“Yes, you’ll find it at the Mare Correctional Facility downtown. I believe it’s in cell block B.”

“You expect them to just let me walk in?” I said.

“You haven’t let that stop you before.”

“I’ll get in, you’ll see…”

“And how do you plan on doing that?”

“Blending in…”

_______________________________________________________________

The prison was a grim stone building, three stories tall, and surrounded by a high fence topped with barbed wire. At each corner of the fence was a guard tower, manned by ponies with rifles. Pegasi were also flying overhead, almost like bees to a hive. Getting in was not going to be easy.

Yet, if all goes according to plan, I’ll be in and out before they can even breathe.

I hid in an alleyway looking at the main gate. Two ponies with rifles were standing guard. Another was in the watch tower. There were two gates, one for prisoners, another for guards. I was at the one for prisoners. I needed a uniform…
I noticed one of the guards was a unicorn, that gave me an idea.

I looked to see a couple walking by. An earth pony couple walking home after what I could only guess was a date. My horn glowed and just as the couple was passing by, I lifted the tail of the mare with my telekinesis for all to see.

She yelped and I canceled my magic long enough for her boyfriend to turn around. “Babe what happened?”

“Some pervert was trying to peep!” She yelled.

The boyfriend saw the only other unicorn in sight. He stomped over to the guard and said. “You tryin’ to peep at my girl?!”

“Wait, I-I wasn’t!” The poor guy tried to reply.

“Take this you bastard!” The stallion outright punched him in the face. From there, the two brawled while the mare was covering her eyes from the sight.

The watch tower pony looked down and started yelling. I watched him leave the tower and I knew that was my chance. I moved my way down the street towards the gate. I aimed White Tiger at the other guard and shot him in the flank with a tranquilizer dart. He fell over like a rock and I used my magic to drag him away.

I hid behind the dumpster as I used some old sheets to tie up the guard. He’d be out for a couple of hours. I slipped his uniform on, leaving my trench coat and hat inside the dumpster under a pile of old magazines. I’d have to pick it up later.

The uniform was a little big, but I managed to fit into it okay. I used alchemy on the I.D. to change the name and picture on it. This should allow me to get in no sweat.

I just hope all goes according to plan…

________________________________________________

The other gate was not as impressive as the front one. This was the one where the guards came in during shifts. There was only one guard there in the toll house. He was a plump unicorn with a short yellow mane, and a light aqua colored coat. His blue eyes showed absolute boredom as he stared at the newspaper.

I cleared my throat.

He woke up from his stupor with a start, and looked at me. “Huh, didn’t know they were hiring new guards.” he said, his voice tired.

I decided to go along with it, “Just going to check Cell Block B. My buddies are throwing a surprise party for one of the guards there. I’m to relieve him.” I said with a smile.

“Heh, didn’t know anypony would do that for Thimble,” the stallion said with a shrug, “Can I see your I.D?”

I held it up, he gave it a cursory glance and said. “Alright Sour Apples, I’ll let you in.”

Good thing the uniform covered my cutie mark.

He pressed a button on the controls and the bar keeping me out lifted and the gate opened. I stepped inside, acting like I belonged here. “Uh, where’s Cell Block B?” I asked.

“The building to your left as you go in.” He said, going back to his news paper.

I guess in peaceful Equestria the prison guards have gotten complacent. Something I’d have to ask Twilight to address once she gets into real princess duties.

I hope she’s doing okay…

______________________________________________

This place was pretty bleak. The gray stone of the outside was continued on the inside, with the sturdy steel bars on the doors not adding an iota of color. The only color there was the orange of the prison-issue jumpsuits, and the blue of the prison-issue bedsheets. The letters for the cell blocks were stenciled in white paint on the walls, and following the directions quickly lead me to Block B. Inside the cells were just a small cot, a toilet, and a sink. No privacy was allowed, because privacy could be used to devise ways to escape.

As I walked through the cells everypony in them was asleep. The inhabitants were mares who probably spent all day trying to shank, steal, and raise whatever hell they could in this prison. Or some could probably spend their time, quietly, trying to get out, early, and get back to their family. I don’t know, for sure.

To them, I was just another prison guard. So they didn’t bother me.

Earlier I snuck into the records room and found where Limelight was being kept. The place was guarded by a sleeping guard who was probably dreaming of some island with beautiful mares on it. Either way, it allowed me to find the cell. Luckily, the cell was vacant. I peeked my head inside, looked around for guards, and then went in.

The place was just like any other cell. Cot, sink, toilet, window to the outside world that was barred. I got a strange feeling…

I almost...heard it…

Like a vibration….a calling…

I looked under the bed, there it was duct taped to the bottom of the frame. It was a small black crystal. A little bit bigger than my hoof, shaped like a diamond. I used my magic to dislodge it and pulled it out.

I held the strange crystal in my hooves. It felt...warm...almost...alive…

I shook my head to snap out of it. I then saw a little note was attached to it. I pulled it off and looked at the note.

Take me to the alley where you just were…

What the…?

Okay, don’t question it. Shadowhoof probably wanted me to find, whatever the hell this thing is. I slipped it into my jacket and turned around to head outside. As I did….

I felt it...the vibrations again….

________________________________________________________

I left the knocked out guard in the dumpster along with his uniform. I pulled the dart from his flank and tossed in a couple of beer bottles. Any pony who found him would think he was just a belligerent drunk. He’d be out until morning. I slipped my trench coat and hat back on and turned my attention to the task at hoof.

I looked down at the crystal in my hooves. I tilted it, rolled it around, even tossed in the air a couple of times. Nothing worked, it just sort of sat there. It wasn’t even vibrating anymore.

Why would Shadowhoof want me to find this? Does he get a kick out of seeing me clueless or something.

Because it’s really starting to pi-

I shook my head as I felt the crystal vibrate. I looked at it for a minute. It had the same aura as Sombra, green, with a violet lining. Whatever this thing is, it responded to dark magic.

But, I promised Twi…

No, this is for Fluttershy and Big Mac, I had to do this…

Forgive me Twilight.

I concentrated on the crystal. I held it in my grey magic. Nothing was working. Every other time I did Dark Magic was an accident. I had no idea what triggered i-

No, I know what triggered it those times...fury.

Okay, time to get mad Private…

Think about what makes you mad. Well, there’s the times when Spike and Tailspin decide to raid the cookie jars without asking. Nah, that’s an annoyance.

Wait, what got me really mad before….

When, somepony wanted to hurt Twilight…

Sombra threatened to use her as his toy…

He played with her...relished in her fear….

It sickens me, on an incredible level…

In fact, Sombra’s not even the worst offender. There’s plenty of other ponies who wanted to hurt me and my friends. Glimmer who tried to murder Dinky. Lunard who tried to use Twilight as his pawn.

Then, there was Adamus….

Oh, Grandpa the things I could say about you. The fact you treated me like a bastard child. You despised my very existence. You had my mother murdered because I wouldn’t become what you wanted. You hate me...then...you had to go and work with Lunard.

I want to...make you see…

Just what you turned your back AWAY FROM!!!

My horn glowed the with the same aura as the crystal. I shot it with my magic and it glowed brightly for a split second. And then, it just glowed...normally.

I let out a breath as the anger and rush passed. Good, I was able to come back from it. I looked at the glowing crystal, and then at the wall in front of me. On it were letters….

They were in Ponish, I could read them.

I make you weak at the worst of all times,
I keep you safe, I keep you fine
I make your hands sweat, and your heart grow cold
I visit the weak, and seldom the bold.
What am I?

A riddle? Okay, how am I supposed to answer it? Do I say it? I think that’s what I’m supposed to do.

I looked at the crystal, at it’s soft glow.

I looked at the riddle then as it’s light shown the words.

Makes you weak at the worst of times, keeps me safe. Visits the weak, and seldom the bold…

“Fear…” I said aloud.

I looked on as the crystal moved from my hoof. It flew towards the wall by itself. It moved across it, I saw it was writing new letters.

Another address.

4513, East Moon St.
Uptown

I covered my eyes as suddenly the crystal shattered into a million pieces and fell on the ground. I gave it an odd look as it’s light faded. Luckily I remembered the address it left behind.

Well, seems that Shadowhoof wants me to see something there. I smelled a trap. But, sometimes you gotta spring the trap if you want the cheese.

______________________________________________________

This part of town was much nicer than the prison district. Stately buildings marched along the street, with elegant entrances leading to elegant homes. The streets were relatively clean, trash being in alleys out of sight. All in all, a very nice neighborhood. Most of the buildings had their lights on, the inhabitants were probably hosting some party.

I walked down the rather deserted street. I kept looking at the houses as I passed.

4511...4512…

I saw..where 4513 was

I was looking at a burned down building. It had to have been a mansion like the other buildings in this part of town. The beams stuck up like charred branches, and the walls were scorched so you can’t tell what color the paint was, originally. Kind of depressing, but I can’t help but wonder what happened here.

From my brief time in Arson, I could tell this was not a recent fire. In fact, I’m sure Flame Broil would agree that this burning was well over a decade old. The wood was rotting and most of the glass that should be under my hoof as I ventured in was gone. But, no sign of any squatters taking up refuge.

It could just be this neighborhood not having squatters, but it seems like nopony has been here in years either.

I entered the building and went into what had to be the foyer at one point. The stairs leading up were out and the roof showcased the night sky above me.

I walked into another burnt room, looked like a study. The book shelves were bare though. Whoever owned this building probably took any valuables during the fire.

I heard something go clink under my hooves. I looked down. There was a small picture. I used my magic to pull the picture out of the broken frame. It was a family photo…

There were three ponies, one adult earth pony, and a unicorn mare and colt. The picture was in black and white. I wouldn’t want to ruin the picture by drawing out the color. Some of the scorch marks might mess with it.

The stallion was a fairly large pony with a short mane and beard. He was wearing what had to be a hikers vest. His smile on the picture was genuine, and there was an almost child like charm to him.

The mare was a beautiful, yet thin unicorn. Her hair was light colored and came down to her sho-hold on a sec!

I know her! This was Cantry! The girl that Dad was going to be betrothed to before he met mom! I heard she left the city, fell in love.

So, this is where you ended up huh Cantry? I’m sure dad would be happy to know you found love yourself. I oughta tell him that when all this is over.

But then, I looked at the colt.

He was small, thin, with dark hair and bright eyes. He was all smiles as he looked at the camera...where did I see him before…?

So, this was Cantry’s home?

I folded the picture and slipped it into my pocket. There had to be more to this story. Otherwise, Shadowhoof wouldn’t have made me come here.

I walked into another room and saw it was a ball room. Or, what was a ballroom at one point. I saw an old record player and the record on it was still intact. “Blue Moon...Fourth Sinite, talk about your classics.” I mused, setting the record back down.

I opened another set of double doors and got blasted with an awful scent. I covered my mouth and coughed a little. My horn glowed, allowing me to see inside.

It was a dining room. The table was blackened, and half the room was almost unrecognisable, but the rest… There looked like there was a party going on here. A banner, scorched, and illegible, hung at the back wall. Half-burnt party hats were on the table, and some presents were still intact.

Wow, to think a fire started during a birthday party. I’d hate to have been that colt.

I walked over, morbid curiosity leading me towards the presents. I lifted one up, and gently removed the wrapping paper. I opened it, and saw inside was…

OHMYGOSH IS THIS THE RED PONY RANGER ACTION FIGURE WITH FULLY POSEABLE LIMBS AND ALL THE WEAPONS AND ACCESSORIES?!?!?

I mean, ahem, it was a toy you’d expect any colt to have had about a decade ago. No reason to get too excited. I opened more of the presents, yep, definitely a party for a colt. Had to have been the one in the picture.

But, who was the birthday colt?

I saw something under the last present. One of the cards had fallen off and got stuck under the pile. It survived the fire that way.

The card depicted a rather cute looking duck with a party hat on it’s head. The writing read, “Happy Tenth Birthday!”

I opened the card, and saw a little bit of writing inside.

My most wonderful son Charcoal,

Today you take one more step to becoming a stallion. Your mother and I could never be more proud. I left another surprise in the basement, it’s that guitar you always wanted. Don’t tell your mother, she’s still insistent you learn something like the violin. Hey, you’re talented enough I’m sure you’d do fine with both. Happy Birthday big guy…

Dad

So, the colt’s name is...Charcoal.

I looked over at the table again and saw a cake was sitting on a nearby counter. I walked over to it, the box was closed but the ten candles were on it. I looked at the frosting letters…

Happy 10th Birthday

Charcoal Blaze!