• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 2,626 Views, 112 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 5 "Shadowhoof" - Jacoboby1



Fluttershy and Big Mac are mysteriously kidnapped during their wedding. Now Private has to play an evil game with a madpony if he ever wants to see his friends again. Shadowhoof will finally show himself and will face Private in the most epic case ev

  • ...
4
 112
 2,626

Chapter 2 "Tabletop"

Chapter 2
“Tabletop”

I groaned as my eyes slowly opened. I must’ve fallen unconscious from all the fighting. What happened…?

“BIG MAC! FLUTTERSHY!” I shouted, sitting straight up on the library’s bed. I felt a hoof on my shoulder and saw Twilight was at my bedside. She was still wearing her dress from the wedding earlier.

“Private, it’s okay,” She said gently, “Luca brought us to you when we all woke up.”

“How long was I out?” I asked, shaking my head to get it back in shape.

“About twenty minutes,” Twilight said.

“Where are the others?” I asked, getting of the bed and walking towards my trench coat, hanging on a nearby rack. I left it here when I was changing.

“Out searching for Fluttershy and Big Mac,” Twilight said, “Well, most of them. AJ is trying to convince Granny Smith they didn’t elope.”

“They didn’t, they were kidnapped,” I said, slipping my coat on.

“You saw what happened?” Twilight said, staring at me.

“Yep,” I said with a nod, slapping my fedora back on. I went on to explain all that happened. Twilight was quiet through most of it, a little shocked and shaken, but she seemed to be handling it pretty well.

“So this guy, you think he’s this Shadowhoof pony?” She asked.

“I’d bet my left hoof on it,” I said, picking up Blackbird and loading her with ammo.

“He was using dark magic too…” Twilight said, “Private, how come you weren’t affected?”

I debated in my head whether to tell her. What was I supposed to say? That I used dark magic myself like Sombra? That somehow I developed a resistance?

I sighed and said, “I, guess it didn’t work with me somehow.”

Twilight gave me an odd look and said, “Private, is there something you’re not telling me?”

“Twi…” I said.

“Private, don’t,” She shook her head, “Don’t give me an excuse saying it’s to protect me or something. Tell me right now why that mist didn’t affect you.”

She looked firmly into my eyes, she knew I wasn’t going to put up a fight. Raiden did, and look where that got him…

“Twi,” I said, “Remember back at the palace when I told you guys about how sometimes I used dark magic when I was ticked off?”

“Yes,” Twilight said with a slow nod.

I looked away.

“Private don’t tell me you’ve been using it often,” Twilight said, “That kind of magic is dangerous. It corrupts the pony who uses it, promises power to that pony, only for them to constantly crave it. I can’t believe you would even consi-”

“Like you would know,” I muttered.

“What was that?” Twilight asked.

“Twi, you have a lot of great magic within you, more so now that you’re an alicorn! You never had a time when you didn’t have magic at least in the little bit. Me? I spent every waking moment of my life wishing that I had magic like any normal unicorn! I used dark magic yes! But I never used it willingly! It just, happens!”

Twilight blinked, and said gently, “Private, I love you, you know that. But, just, I don’t want you to get into something you shouldn’t.”

I sighed, “I know, I just. It was just frustrating that I couldn’t beat him. I shouldn’t take it out on you.”

Twilight walked up and nuzzled me gently. “Hey, you got it out okay. Just, if you ever feel like that magic is taking control again. I’ll try to be there for you.”

I gave her a kiss on the lips for a minute and said, “You, always could pull me out of darkness.”

Twilight smiled and kissed me back, but then we split.

“Now, we got a case here,” I said.

“We called the police to search the area,” Twilight said, “Plus we got the Apple family turning the place upside down looking for them.”

“I just hope we can find them in ti-”

I was cut off when a loud crash was heard. Twilight and I ran out to the main area to see Fluttershy’s parents were inside the library. The crash was Flutterbreak bucking down the door. “Where’s that detective!”

I gulped as Twilight and I descended to the floor. “Uh, right here sir,” I said nervously.

“Now,” He uttered suddenly got within inches of my nose. “You the guy who’s going to look for my precious Fluttershy?”

“Uh, yes sir,” I said, nervously as I got a flashback to boot camp.

“Well listen here Private! What is your sole mission at this point and time?” He said in his best command voice.

“Sir, to look for your daughter sir!” I yelled.

“Celestia damn it Private! You’re a Celestia damned genius! That is the best answer I have heard all day! You must have a Celestia damned I.Q. of 160! You are Celestia damned gifted Private!” He yelled in turn. “Now you get my baby girl back this instant you hear me soldier!?”

“Sir, loud and clear sir!” I answered firmly.

“GOOD! Get on it!” He said, and then turned to march away.

Flutterbreeze, who had a tissue in her hooves and was wiping her eyes, walked over to us. “You’ll bring them back right? I just can’t imagine my little baby all alone and hurt.”

I smiled gently and said, “Ma’am, Big Mac is probably with her, she’ll hold out until then, they’ll keep each other strong until we find them.”

Flutterbreeze smiled, “I do hope you will do your hardest detective. My husband and I aren’t the richest ponies, but we will be willing to pay…”

I shook my head and said, “No ma’am, this is personal. If you wanna pay me later that’s fine, but this guy, whoever he is, made this a personal battle. I’m going to make sure your daughter and son-in-law get home safe.”

“I shall leave you to your work detective,” She said, fluttering away to follow her husband.

“I’m still saying it’s a little freaky that those two are together,” Twilight deadpanned.

“Either way, we got a job to do.” I said.

Riiing

I went over to the phone, “Maybe somepony’s found something,” I said, hopefully.

I lifted the phone to my ear. “Golden Oaks library,” I said in my best business-like tone.

The same distorted voice answered…

“Ah, it is good to hear from you Private Eye.”

“YOU!” I yelled into the receiver. “Where are Fluttershy and Big Mac?”

“Safe, and together if you must know. They will not come to harm so long as you listen to what I have to say.”

“Speak.” I said, my face frowning.

“I’m sure I don’t need to tell you the stakes should you refuse the next few demands.” He said.

“You even lay one hoof on them-”

“And you’ll what? Yell me to death? Private Eye, you don’t seem to understand, in this situation, I’m the one who holds all the cards. So, let’s get down to business shall we. I have five tasks I want you to complete.”

“I’m not playing a game to save my friends! You will let them go or I’ll kill you myself!” I yelled. I caught a glance of Twilight. She was starting to look a little nervous at my outbursts.

“You will do so, otherwise...I’m sure that dear Fluttershy can live without her mane…”

“You…” I blinked, “You’re the killer…the one who killed those five ponies that were part of my cases…” I uttered, frowning.

“Ah, there’s the clever deduction of Private Eye at work. You’ll need that mind of yours if you ever hope to see your friends again.”

I had no choice. I couldn’t risk Fluttershy and Big Mac. I’d never forgive myself if they got hurt because of me. “Fine, what are your demands?” I asked. “Money? Gems? A condo?”

“Nothing so material Private Eye, you do these five tasks for me, and your friends can go home free, attend their honeymoon, and bask in all the glories love can offer.”

“What are these tests?” I asked.

“Ah, a few rules first.”

“That figures.”

“The first rule, I’m afraid your beloved Twilight Sparkle is going to have to sit out on this one.”

“Say what?!” I yelled. “I’m not leaving Twilight behind.”

“These tasks are for you, and you alone. If I even catch a whisper of your beloved calling the guards to follow you, I will be forced to hurt the lovely couple. Neither of us want that to happen.”

I cursed under my breath. This guy was really becoming a pain in the flank.

“Also, don’t involve any other royals for that matter. I cannot stress enough that these tasks are for you alone. I am testing you Private, not your ability to phone a royal friend.”

“Why test me?” I asked.

“Mainly, to see if you are truly all you say you are. Just how far are you willing to go Private Eye? If it means saving your friends?”

“Fine, I’ll play your game. But what I can’t stress enough is that if either of my friends are so much as touched, I’ll shoot you until you have more holes than swiss cheese!” I yelled into the phone.

“Ever charming as usual.”

“So what’s your first task?” I asked.

“My first task is simple. You are to travel to Canterlot, there, you will have one hour to find another phone booth in the city. At the end of the hour, I will call the phone booth, if it is not answered by the third ring…”

“Thing is, Canterlot’s a big city.” I said, “You can’t have me just run around to every phone booth and expect me to find the needle in the haystack.”

“Of course not, that’s why I’m willing to give you a hint. You will find the address at Canterlot’s morgue.”

“A morgue?” I said, blinking in surprise.

“Yes, I believe the pony you are looking for, is Tabletop.”

“Tabletop’s dead.” I said, and then blinked again, “You want me to find a clue on his corpse.”

“Clock is ticking Private Eye, the minute you step off the train, the task begins. Don’t dawdle.”

CLICK!

I slammed the phone and glared at it for a minute. Twilight looked at me worriedly, “That was him?”

I nodded, “Yeah, he wants me to jump through some hoops before he’ll let Fluttershy and Big Mac go. Also, he says you can’t come along. I gotta do this alone.” I said, looking down.

Twilight put a hoof on my cheek. “I understand,” She said, “I’ll keep everypony here looking and tell Celestia what happened. She’ll send guards around to look for them. You keep this guy busy watching you, we’ll try and find them.”
I nodded and said, “Right, now I got a train to catch.”

_______________________________________________________

In keeping with the stiff, upright nature of Canterlot, the train station was an elegant structure of marble, and wood with brass fittings, more stylish than efficient. The cobblestone streets were not very crowded, at this time, and the brass lightposts lit my way, easily. Compared to Ponyville, a village of plaster and thatch, Canterlot was stone, brick, and more stone. Stone or brick walls, usually whitewashed, with slate roofs and ornate windows. The whole place seemed to stand at attention, unlike Ponyville who was like an old friend who invited you to share their bench.

I stood at on the train car as other passengers disembarked. I knew that the minute I stepped off this train my time limit would begin. I checked my watch, it was 3:00 right now. I had one hour to get to the morgue, find the clue on it, solve it, and find the phone booth.

I took off at a run as soon as I stepped off. I pushed my way through crowds, ran stairs twenty at a time, all to get out to the streets of Canterlot. I’ve been to the morgue before here in Canterlot. Way back in the day when Shining Armor was arrested, over a year ago now that I think about it.

There was no time to think though, I ran down Canterlot’s streets towards the morgue. The entire run took me over ten minutes to get there. I really gotta work out more often. I ran inside the double doors and stepped into the office.
The office was very simple, only having a desk at the front and a door leading to the morgue area. The stallion monitoring the station was a forty-something unicorn with a short red mane and a brown coat. He was clad in a labcoat and he looked up at me as I entered, “Can I help you sir?” He asked in a very monotone voice.

“Detective Private Eye,” I said, catching my breath. “ I need to see Tabletop’s corpse.”

“Sir, I’m afraid any sort of corpse viewings are to be done by court order. Do you have a warrant?” He asked.

“Look this is an emergency!” I said frantically. “I have to see the body!”

“You don’t look like police,” He went on in his agonizingly monotone voice.

“Don’t you ever read the papers?! I’m Private Eye!” I shouted.

“Yeah and I’m Princess Luna,” The stallion said, rolling his eyes. “If you want to see the corpse, you’re going to need to bring a warrant next time. Now run along while I get back to more important thin-”

My horn glowed and I moved it to touch his. The stallion’s head plopped onto the desk and he started snoring loudly. Anaesthetic spell, should keep him out for a few hours. I took the keys off him and used them to open the door to the morgue.

If you’ve seen one morgue, you’ve pretty much seen them all. They took the most efficient design and ran with it. Clean white floor tile, clean white walls, light boxes for x-rays, cabinets with countertops for work surfaces. Last but not least are the stainless steel tables, basically basins to catch bodily fluids that come out, when a body is cut open but with various braces and harnesses to hold the legs and head in place. Autopsying a quadruped isn’t easy. Racked along one wall are the refrigerated drawers for those bodies that the corner hasn’t gotten to, yet.

It was deserted, I’m guessing nopony is coming in to work today. Either that, or the guy at the desk was the only worker here. Figures, very few ponies line up to want this job. Unless you were an old kook like Forceps, then they just let you on without much question.

I looked onto the body storage units, I read them quickly, checking my watch.

3:15, I still had time.

“Here you are!” I said, pulling open Tabletop’s storage unit open. I pulled the corpse out and Lord Tabletop was lying there before me. His fur was paling a little. I heard he’d been poisoned. Odds are by Shadowhoof.

But what kind of clue would he want me to find on a corpse?

I then saw, he had something in his mouth. I used my magic to pull it out, it was an index card. On it read the following message…

15 18 15 15 2
15 26 13 22

Some kind of code? Ah damn it I don’t have time for this! How did Shadowhoof even get it inside his mouth anyways? Seems whoever he is, Shadowhoof has connections.

Okay, Private think, what could these numbers mean? The alphabet maybe? A being 1 and so on?

Nah, that means that it says something like Nqnnb Nzmv, either Shadowhoof speaks zebra, or I’m missing something. There’s not enough time! I’m already wasting enough time as it is!

It was then I noticed something on Tabletop’s foreleg. I slipped some rubber hoof coverings and tentatively lifted the forehoof. Carved into his skin was an inscription…

Always move forward, but don’t be afraid to look back. Only then can you learn whether the path you stand on holds true…

Blaze

I don’t think I’ve heard of a Blaze before...why did that sound familiar?

I shook my head and checked my watch. It was 3:25 right now. I spent too long on this puzzle. I had to solve it quickly. If only I had a clue and…

Wait...look back?

I looked at the code again, and facehoofed. Of course! There was a reason why it didn’t make any sense! It’s because the code is for a backwards alphabet. I pulled out my notebook, wrote down the code and did a little tinkering with numbers and letters. Takes you a minute to really think about putting numbers with letters now that I think about it.
After a minute, I got it.

Lilly Lane.

That had to be a street name.

I pocketed the note, locked Tabletop back into his storage and ran outside before the desk stallion could get up. I saw a random pony passing by, a pretty pink pony with a blue mane and she looked to be wearing some kind of frilly saddle. “Ma’am! Can you tell me where Lilly Lane is?”

She spoke in a Canterlot accent, “Why it’s just a few blocks down the way. About a twenty minute walk if you hurry. But I’m sure if you wish to take in the scenery it would be a brisk thirty minutes.”

“I’ll try make it a ten minute run thank you!” I yelled running as fast as I could down the street. I didn’t bother looking back. I leapt and dodged my way through ponies walking down the street. On one occasion I almost crashed into a cabbage wagon. The guy operating it was none too happy when I almost destroyed his merchandise.

I finally saw Lily Lane in sight. I looked down the street and saw the phone booth was just across the street. But before I could step in, tons of carriages came and blocked my way. I looked both ways, there was no way I was going to make it past all these carriages in time.

I checked my watch, 3:55.

I had to think fas…

I looked at the nearby building. I saw it had some loose bricks along the side of it. I looked up and saw there was a rope connector that led across the way. I had no time to think as an instinct took me over.

I ran to the brick wall, and began using my hooves to find hoof holes. I reached for each one quickly as I scaled the building. I had to do this, I had to do this for Big Mac and Fluttershy. Just, don’t look down.

I got to the top and stood on the roof. I looked and saw that the rope didn’t look like it could support me tightroping it.
I then got an idea, I grabbed most of the rope, and held it in my hooves. That’s when my ears caught the first ring...I had to move fast!

I used my magic to cut the rope and I leaped from the building, holding onto it for dear life as I swung across the street. Whoo hoo! I’m king of th-

SMACK!

I’m the guy who smacks into walls…

I hit the building on the other side of the streets and fell down. I braced myself as I landed in a conveniently placed hay cart. I popped my head out and heard the second ring. I quickly reached out with my magic and pulled the phone off the handle.

I sighed in relief as I moved out of the hay wagon and stepped inside. I breathed heavily as I listened to the voice on the other end.

“Quite a close one, I must say you made quite a show.”

“I did you stupid task, is that all you got?” I asked.

Oh, Private Eye, I’ve only just begun…”