• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 2,666 Views, 169 Comments

True Blue Hero - totallynotabrony



Blueblood is a gritty alicorn superhero. Get used to it.

  • ...
24
 169
 2,666

Chapter 10

Clearly, something terrible was in the process of happening. While Blueblood thought of superheroes as a good thing, the associated supervillians put a whole new twist on the situation.

The super winged minotaur who called himself Steel Blast had not made things less complicated, to say the least.

Blueblood lay in bed and stared at the ceiling, trying to muddle his way through the problem, but making zero progress. He’d ask Trudy for help, but-

I have no idea what to do, she said.

“And that’s with your brain plus mine,” Blueblood muttered.

Hey, it’s almost like having two whole ones!

Blueblood didn’t even take the time to rebut her. The problem of what to do about the overpowered flying minotaur was too serious.

In all seriousness, though, I’m not sure we even want to try handling this on our own. We should find Bright Defender.

“Hmm, pawning the job off on somepony else. That could work.”

Or we could team up with her.

Thoughts of Bright in her superhero outfit went through Blueblood’s mind. “I like that idea.”

Would you like it as much if she actually turns out to be a dude?

Blueblood sat up in bed. “Please stop toying with my emotions like that!”

Hey, I go with what works. Now, where can we find Bright?

Tracking down a superhero in the middle of the day was not going to be easy. There wasn’t any way Blueblood could think of to make that happen. He might find Bright at a crime scene, but he couldn’t risk going out in the daytime with his costume.

Or could he?

It’s an interesting idea, Trudy mused. Crime happens during the day, too. But what if somepony decides to chase you? You aren’t a good enough flier to get away in broad daylight.

Blueblood snorted. “Thanks.”

Fine, we aren’t good enough. Happy?

“I guess so.” Blueblood sighed. “I guess if we had secure hideouts set up wecould have safe places to go if we needed to. Maybe we should set something like that up.”

Another interesting idea.

“Do you have anything else to say? Maybe something that actually helps?” Blueblood grumbled.

Well fine, you want ideas? You keep angsting over finding Bright Defender, but what if she’s closer than you think?

“What do you mean?”

We first met her near the castle, right? What if she lives here, too?

Blueblood considered it. If Bright Defender was really Twilight Sparkle, the task of locating her would be considerably easier. In fact, all he had to do was walk down to the castle library. She would most likely be there.

“But what if it isn’t her?” he asked.

Then she won’t be expecting you to ask about superheroes. Just ask a random question that only Bright Defender would know. If she doesn’t get it, no harm done.

“But then what?”

You ask the voice in your head an awful lot of questions. I only know as much as you do.

Blueblood grumbled a little more and decided to get out of bed. He stumbled slightly as his hooves touched the floor, groaning in pain. Trudy hadn’t managed to completely fix the injuries he’d sustained while fighting Steel Blast.

After brushing his teeth, having a quick shower, and grooming his mane, Blueblood put on a jacket and left his bedroom. He walked down to the kitchen to see if there was anything to eat, but it wasn’t quite lunchtime yet. Disappointed and hungry, he continued to the library.

He would have liked to have confronted Twilight on a full stomach, but as he walked into the library, she was nowhere to be found. Blueblood knew that even before getting promoted to princess Twilight had spent practically all her time among the dusty shelves and dustier tomes. The shelves and stacks were quiet and nopony was around.

As he stood there frowning and wondering where Twilight had gone, his stomach growled. Considering that he’d missed breakfast, Blueblood decided that lunch took priority over finding Twilight.

Blueblood wondered if he should go to Manedackery. Actually, that wasn’t a question at all. He left the library, left the castle, and headed down the street to his favorite pub.

As he walked, Blueblood gave a little more thought to his idea of setting up hideouts. It might be a pretty good idea, possibly one of the better ideas he’d ever had.

Congratulating himself, Blueblood opened the door to the pub and stepped inside, only for Trudy to bring him up short. There’s Twilight!

Focusing his eyes, Blueblood saw that, sure enough, the purple princess sat at a table near the back. She wasn’t wearing her royal jewelry, as if she were dressing down. Across the table from her was Shining Armor.

While Blueblood watched, Twilight got up and headed for the little fillies’ room. As she departed, Shining glanced around restlessly, shifting the windbreaker he wore. His eyes fell on Blueblood. The two of them stared at each other.

Don’t be awkward. Go say hello, at least.

She had a point. If Blueblood wanted to talk to Twilight, he might unfortunately have to go through her brother.

Although...Blueblood grimaced internally, what if Bright Defender, the competent female superhero who was admittedly kind of interesting and attractive, was actually a dude? Specifcally, Shining Armor?

Pushing those thoughts out of his head as he arrived at the table, Blueblood tried for a neutral expression. “Shining. I didn’t know you came to Manedackery.”

“I heard about it from a friend in the Guard.” Shining shrugged.

“It’s very good. I know the proprietor.”

Shining looked more interested now. “Why don’t you have a seat? What do you suggest I order?”

Blueblood pulled out a chair and sat. “There are a few choices, if old O’Buck will give them to you. His noontime sandwiches are excellent and the beer is the best you can get this close to the castle.”

Shining nodded. “Sounds good.”

There was a lull in the conversation. Trudy prodded, Keep him talking. Ask something.

Blueblood thought, Like what?

I don’t know. Maybe a personal question?

“Can I ask you a personal question?” Blueblood said.

“Like what?” Shining asked.

Thinking quickly, Blueblood blurted, “What’s your life like in the Crystal Empire? Do you get out a lot, like for lunch with your sister?”

“Well, I’m trying to hang out with Twilight as much as I can while I’m here in Canterlot,” Shining allowed. “Cadance and I have to go back soon. The Guard back in the Crystal Empire are getting along okay without me, but training recruits is something I need to get back to.”

Shining paused, as if gauging Blueblood’s reaction. Blueblood had no choice but to listen as he waited for Twilight to return. He smiled to make a show of paying attention to Shining. “Oh really?”

Encouraged, Shining kept talking. “Getting all the different races of recruits trained up equally is the hardest part. Earth ponies need to be challenged more during physical training. Unicorns have to learn that not everything can be solved with magic. Pegasi need to be grounded once in a while to truly understand how the military works.”

“Hmm,” Blueblood said, again commenting just to keep the conversation moving.

“But I learn a lot from the training too,” said Shining. “I think I’ve grown to know more about earth ponies and pegasi than most any other unicorn. There’s just something about robust inner strength or feeling the wind in your feathers.”

“I know what you mean,” commented Blueblood.

Realizing what he had said, and also realizing what Shining had said, his head came up to stare at the other stallion. Unfortunately, Blueblood discovered that the realization worked both ways. Shining was suddenly studying Blueblood much more closely and suspiciously than before.

“I’m back,” announced Twilight, arriving in the middle of everypony realizing things. She blinked, looking back and forth between Shining and Blueblood. “Did I miss something?”