• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 1,773 Views, 19 Comments

Appleshy Prompt Tag Collab - Twinkletail



A collection of 100-500 word prompt stories from the Appleshy group

  • ...
9
 19
 1,773

Sibling Difficulties - Jondor

Written by Jondor


In spite of the sinking sun, the noise of ponies chattering to one another in the grounds of Sweet Apple Acres was still going strong. Instead of being in the thick of it, Big Mac shuffled nervously from hoof to hoof as he waited behind the barn. His normally steady demeanor was slowly dissolving under a layer of cold sweat as the minutes ticked by and left him still alone.

He was almost certain she’d seen the note he’d surreptitiously left for her before the show. All night her mane had been dotted with the daisies from the bouquet he’d attached it to, and he’d had trouble keeping his eyes off her because of it. Of course, just because Fluttershy had seen the note didn’t mean the shy filly would actually come; something Big Mac could relate to all too well in situations like this.

He was just about ready to throw in the towel and go polish off the barrel of cider he’d barely started into when he finally heard soft hoofsteps coming around the corner.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” she said in her soft, musical voice. “Rarity was just so excited that I finally agreed to sing in public and she just wouldn’t—” Fluttershy broke off and stared at the pony waiting for her. “Big Mac! W-what are you doing here?”

“Ah… Ah…” Big Mac sputtered a bit and swallowed the lump in his throat. It had been growing steadily while he waited alone, but unfortunately Fluttershy’s arrival had only made it worse. “Ah wanted ta talk with ya, Miss Fluttershy. Ah left ya the flowers.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened and her legs and ears twitched. “Oh… Okay.”

Big Mac was silent for a moment, the conversation he’d practiced the night before slipping from his mind. “Well, first Ah wanted ta thank ya fer singin’ with us this year,” he began slowly. “Ah know you were still workin’ up yer courage during the Zap Apple Jam last year.”

Fluttershy’s ears perked a bit and she smiled at the praise, seeming to forget her nervousness for the moment.

“Ah was also wonderin’ if you’d like ta go celebrate yer first time singing with the Ponytones in public?”

At Big Mac’s question, Fluttershy’s smile quivered. “Celebrate?.. I guess that would be okay. Did Rarity already get reservations somewhere?”

Big Mac shook his head. “Ah thought Ah’d treat ya myself.”

“Y-you mean like a date?!” Fluttershy’s voice quailed.

Big Mac nodded. “Ah’ve been wantin’ ta ask ya out fer a while now. Seemed like a good night fer it.”

Fluttershy’s smile died and her ears folded tight against her head. “I d-don’t think that’s a good idea. Y-you wouldn’t want to date me. You d-deserve somepony m-much better.”

Big Mac’s lips curled into a slight frown, but he rallied immediately. “Now, Miss Fluttershy, that ain’t fair. You’ve been singin’ with us fer months now and you’re a wonderful pony ta have around. Ya helped Toe-Tapper out with his new song, an’ Torch Song when her puppy got sick, an’ Rarity with the new costumes. An’ Ah can’t ferget when ya filled in fer me after the turkey call last year.”

“T-that’s all true, but that doesn’t mean I’d b-be a very good girlfriend.” Fluttershy bowed her head and kicked a hoof against the ground, unable to meet Big Mac’s eyes.

Big Mac opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by another voice.

“Now, ya know that ain’t true, sugarcube.”

Both ponies turned to face Applejack as she strode toward them in the darkness.

“Applejack, I… I…” Fluttershy stammered, tears welling up in her eyes.

“I heard, sugarcube. I think ya oughta tell Big Mac the truth. He’s gotta find out some time, an’ it wouldn’t be fair ta lie ta him right now.”

Big Mac looked back and forth between the two mares as his sister walked up beside Fluttershy and put a steadying hoof on her shoulder.

“I-I’m sorry, Big Mac,” Fluttershy’s muzzle still pointed at the ground, but her eyes flicked up toward the stallion. “The truth is, I’m already taken. A-Applejack and I have been d-dating for a several months now.”

Big Mac stared impassively as his sister planted a soft kiss on her girlfriend’s cheek and stepped forward to put a consoling hoof on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry too, big bro. I didn’t want ya ta find out like this.” Applejack shook her head. “If I’d known you were sweet on Fluttershy, I’d’ve told ya months ago.”

“‘Sokay,” Big Mac said. His steady baritone masking the hurt he felt.

“I know it might be a bit soon, but I came lookin’ fer ya because Cheerilee’s been searching high and low fer ya since ya left the stage.” Applejack winked, turning back to stand by Fluttershy. “She ain’t already datin’ yer little sister, an’ even better, she ain’t been hit by any kinda love potion this time, neither.”