• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,047 Views, 54 Comments

Ponies of the Five Rings - Simon_oSullivan



Legend of the Five Rings: Equestria Edition

  • ...
4
 54
 2,047

Chapter 5: Old Enemies. Part 3

After half an hour of galloping, Twist led them to the lands where phoenixes nested. It was a huge forest, with lots of charred trees and the earth covered in ashes.

“I don’t like being here,” admitted Snails, shaking slightly. “Let’s find the egg and get out of here.”

“Don’t be a coward, will you?” scolded Scootaloo. “We should spread out to find the egg and return.”

“Good idea,” said Apple Bloom. She got next to one of the burnt trees and bucked it a few times, the charred bark falling off in chunks. “Ah think this will be a good meeting place.” With a smile, she looked to the sky, then around her. “We’ll meet here in an hour with whatever we have, okay?”

“Who made you our leader, Apple Bloom?” complained Diamond Tiara.

“Now’s not the time to argue about that,” grunted Silver Spoon. “Apple Bloom, we should split up in pairs in case we find protected nests.”

“Sounds good to me. Scootaloo, you and Pipsqueak will go together.”

“Got it, Apple Bloom,” said Scootaloo, extending her wings. “Finally some action!”

“I’d like to go with Dinky, if you don’t mind,” requested Pipsqueak.

“Ah know, Pipsqueak, but Ah chose you two for a reason. Remember the Athletics trial? You two are the fastest ponies. You won’t slow each other, and are the ones who can explore the largest amount of land.”

Pipsqueak sighed. “Seems logical. I’ll do it.”

With a nod, Apple Bloom turned to the rest. “Dinky, you’ll go with Twist. Ahm sure that Twilight taught you something about phoenixes too. You’ll be able to know where to find without wandering aimlessly.” She pointed at both Silver Spoon and Snails. “You two’ll go in another group. You’re good with swords, so grab some large branches and get ready for anything.”

Diamond Tiara raised her hoof. “Excuse me, leader,” she said, sarcastically emphasizing the last word, “but who should I go with?”

Apple Bloom looked at the remaining ponies, then nodded at Sweetie Belle, who returned the gesture. “You’ll go with her.”

“That means I’m going with you?” asked Snips.

Apple Bloom nodded and hit herself in the chest. “Okay, let’s get going! We’re running out of time!”

-o-

Deep in the same forest, Trixie dwelled among the charred bushes and burnt trees.

“Trixie knows that today is the Hunting day, as every year,” she muttered to herself. “Let’s make the young promises of the Empire know who to fear.”

Through the corner of the eye, she noticed two ponies rushing forward at great speed. One of them galloped on his four hooves, while the other one was a pegasus, flying just over him. She didn’t recognize either of them, but smiled broadly, showing her fangs.

“Ah, yes, Trixie’s first victims.” She cackled as her horn shone with a dark aura, scratching both her sides.

-o-

“No trace of eggs down here for now, Scootaloo,” reported Pipsqueak.

“Drat, nothing on the treetops either!” grunted Scootaloo. “I hope the others get luckier than us.”

“Well, let’s look on the bright side. No nests mean no phoen—” A loud, menacing caw interrupted him mid-sentence, causing him to shrink and look around him desperately. “I hate it when I speak too soon.”

“We have to get out of here!” roared Scootaloo.

“You don’t have to say it twice.”

Both ponies rushed back to the meeting place as fast as their hooves or wings allowed them. A louder caw made them look back, watching in horror as a large phoenix rose from behind the bushes, breathing a torrent of flames at them.

-o-

“This place looks great to start searching for eggs!” cheered Dinky. “Not only there are a lot of grown plants thanks to the ashes of burnt trees, but there’s also a river just there. There must be some nests around here!”

“Yeth,” seconded Twist. “Fluttershy told me that male phoenixeth uthually burn a tree to the ground during mating theathon to impreth femaleth; the larger the tree and the faster it burns, the more attractive they’ll find him. Thothe asheth altho make planth grow back faster, so they’ll be ready to eat when the babieth hatch.”

Dinky nodded with a smile before closing her eyes, whispering a quick spell that made her horn pulsate weakly.

“What are you doing, Dinky?” inquired Twist.

“I’m trying to find a fire spirit,” replied Dinky, turning her head around with her eyes still closed. “Phoenixes are creatures deeply attuned with that element and spirits tend to dwell close to them.”

“But thith foretht ith full of burnt treeth. That’d mean that there mutht be fire thpirith everywhere.”

“And those spirits surely know where the nests are.” She opened her eyes, turning back to Twist. “Find something to burn, quickly!”

“What?”

“I’m going to summon a fire spirit. They’re really impatient and hate being disturbed. A burnt offering will appease it.”

Twist nodded as she rushed through the woods, picking dry wood and flowers. Meanwhile, Dinky stood on her hind legs with her hooves raised, chanting the communing ritual. Her horn shone intensely, working as a beacon of light. In front of her, a small creature appeared. It looked like a young colt the size of a doll and was engulfed in flames.

Who dares to disturb the fire spirits?” roared the creature, its voice sounding like burning wood.

“It is I, Dinky; void summoner of the Lore Clan.”

You shall burn with the same ferocity as these trees once did for summoning me, unicorn!

“Dinky, here!” cried Twist, letting everything fall in front of her.

“Thank you, Twist.” She then looked at the spirit, her horn glowing again. “Spirit, here is my offering to you.” She kneeled in front of him, touching the mound made with wood and flowers with her horn and setting them ablaze. When she got up, the spirit relaxed, looking mollified.

Your offering pleases me, Dinky, void summoner of the Lore Clan. What is your question?

“Where can we find a phoenix’s nest?”

The spirit looked up to one of the burnt trees. “They made one inside there. Once the male burnt the tree, he pecked the top. It’s impossible to find if you don’t know where to look.

“Perfect!” cried Dinky. “We’ll give it back when the trial is over.”

Yes, I’ve seen tens of ponies looking for the eggs, but nopony has asked us directly in a long time.

“Thank you, spirit,” said Dinky, bowing deeply at the spirit.

One more thing, summoner. Beware of the fake phoenix. Grab the egg and gallop as fast as you can.

Dinky raised an eyebrow. “Fake phoenix? What are you talking about?”

Among fire spirits, news spread like forest fires. The summoning has alerted the other ponies, and they’re on their way.” With those words, the spirit faded slowly.

“Twist, climb to the tree and get the egg!” demanded Dinky. “I’ll stand my ground ready for anything. We have to get away from here as fast as we can!”

“What did it mean by fake phoenix?” asked Twist while climbing the tree.

“I have no idea. A shapeshifter? Maybe an illusionist? I don’t know what it may be or what it wants, but spirits don’t lie.” She looked around her frantically, perking her ears up.

“If I thee thomething from up here, I’ll tell you!”

“Okay!”

“Dinky!” cried Apple Bloom from far away.

She looked back to see that most of the contestants were galloping towards them. She counted each of them, grabbing Apple Bloom in despair.

“Where are Scootaloo and Pipsqueak?” demanded Dinky in horror. “We must leave this place at once!”

“But we don’t have the egg yet!” complained Sweetie Belle.

“Here it ith!” cried Twist happily, raising the egg over her head. She then pointed to her right. “And there they are! I can thee Thcootaloo and Pipthqueak!”

“Wonderful!” Dinky turned at the others with a horrified glare. “We must leave this place immediately. The fire spirits warned me about a fake–”

“Phoenix! Run!” yelled Pipsqueak as the beast’s fiery breath almost burnt his tail.

Twist climbed down the tree without losing the bird. “That’th the biggetht phoenix I’ve ever theen! And the firtht one who fireth blue flameth!”

“That’s not a phoenix!” asserted Dinky. “Pipsqueak, Scootaloo, Twist, come here!”

Everypony got close to her as the creature hovered above them. Dinky’s horn shone brightly as the beast cawing menacingly before diving towards them. Behind his fillyfriend, Pipsqueak took the same stance when fighting against her. The phoenix breathed flame over them, but Dinky was able to finish the spell on time, raising a shield that stopped the attack. Even though they were safe, she stumbled at the effort required summon such a large protection spell in so little time, falling on Pipsqueak’s hooves.

Loooooooore!” cawed the phoenix furiously.

Dinky gawked at the beast’s howl. “Did it just say… ‘Lore’?”

“Could it be…” Apple Bloom looked at the creature, gritting her teeth. “She’s alive! We have to run to the Palace! She won’t follow us there!”

“Do you know that monster?” asked Silver Spoon.

“Ah wish Ah could say that Ah don’t. Ah thought mah sister and the other clan leaders killed her.”

“Trixie!” roared Pipsqueak, walking slowly in front of the rest after Dinky had recovered some strength.

The phoenix landed on the ground, extending her wings with a long, mighty caw. As the beast emitted the noise, it shone with a blue flare, getting more intense every second it passed and changing into an egg-shaped aura. With a final roar, the fire blasted around her, creating a nova that set everything it touched ablaze. Dinky stepped forward, summoning a defensive wall in front of them, protecting the group and herself from the fire. She leaned against Apple Bloom’s side, breathing heavily from the effort. When they looked in front of them, they witnessed the monstrous unicorn standing there, cackling with her fangs exposed.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has you all!” she cried.

“We’re doomed!” yelled Diamond Tiara.

“Trixie’s here for her students,” started Trixie, stepping forward. “They’ll come with Trixie.”

“I’m not going with you, Trixie!” said Snails. When Trixie stared at him, he began to stutter as he spoke. “Y-you’re not an e-example to follow! I’m f-fighting to show I’m d-different from you!”

Trixie let out a humph, shaking her hoof contemptuously. “A loser, just like the rest of them.” She looked at Snips with a grin. “What about you? Do you wish to obtain the power of the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

“W-w-what happened to you?” stuttered Snips.

“Wonderful things! Trixie learnt Blood Magic, and a world of possibilities opened in front of her! Now you can also be part of it!”

“Trixie!” roared Pipsqueak, taking a defensive stance.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie isn’t talking to you!” With a swift swinging gesture of her claw, she hurled a fireball to him, making him grunt in pain as the attack hit him.

Pip!” yelled Dinky, rushing towards him. He made a gesture showing that he was fine, but a grimace showed that it still hurt.

“You simple whelps are no match for Trixie!” she cackled, pointing at each of the contestants. “You’re barely in shape to stand a simple spell, what makes you think you can best me?”

“I can,” replied Pipsqueak without hesitation.

“Did that fireball cook your mind, fool?” scolded Dinky.

Pipsqueak hushed her, then whispering to her ear. “I have a plan to scare her away. Get the rest away from here. If it doesn’t work, at least you’ll get to the Palace. She won’t follow you inside.” Dinky shook her head angrily, but Pipsqueak grabbed her face to stop her. “I know that Pinkie used the ‘Way of the Void’ to defeat her.”

“Yes, you told me, but she’s not going to buy it!”

“It’s a chance for you to leave. Save yourself and the others.” He got up, smashing his hooves together. “Trixie! I challenge you to a fight, one-on-one!”

“Woah,” Trixie exclaimed, “that fireball has melted your common sense! But Trixie admires your guts! Too bad you won’t last for long!”

“You, get away from here!” demanded Pipsqueak, pointing at the others. “I’ll take care of her. Move!”

“But she’ll kill you!” yelled Apple Bloom. “Let me fight by your side!”

“I have something that can stop her, Apple Bloom. I’ll see you at the Palace! Now run!”

The nine ponies rushed towards the Imperial Palace, leaving Pipsqueak and Trixie facing each other.

“You may think that you’re invincible, little one,” mocked Trixie. “But the Great and Powerful Trixie can do a lot more than hurl fireballs at you.”

“Mark my words, monster, for I am Pipsqueak, warrior monk of the Party Clan, student of Pinkie Pie!” He smiled as Trixie frowned at his bluff. “I see you still remember.”

“Quiet, you insolent fool! You have nothing to fight Trixie save for your mentor’s name! You don’t have anything else!”

“I know what she used to defeat you, Trixie.” He changed to an offensive stance, leaning forward. “And I can also do it!”

-o-

The ponies galloped as fast as their legs allowed them, but Dinky ran way behind them. She lowered her speed until she stopped completely, shaking her head.

“No… I can’t leave him,” she muttered. “Go on without me, I’ll return with Pipsqueak.”

“Don’t be crazy!” cried Sweetie Belle as the rest of them stopped too. “I know you’re going to marry, but he told us he had a plan!”

“It was all a bluff!” Dinky sounded desperate, grabbing Sweetie fiercely. “He’s going to make her believe that he has the power to kill her!”

“That’s preposterous!” spat Tiara.

“What if he does?” asked Apple Bloom. “We don’t have weapons but he doesn’t need ‘em.” She smiled at Dinky as she pointed at her. “Neither do you. Your magic is your weapon!”

“But I can’t fight her!” complained Dinky.

Apple Bloom’s eyes widen smiling broadly. “You don’t have to!”

Dinky raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “I-I’m sorry, Apple Bloom but I don’t understand what you mean.”

“Listen to me: he said he had the power to kill her, right?”

“Yes a technique of the ancient Order of the Horn: ‘Way of the Void’. Dangerous and costly to summon, but inhibits the use of supernatural abilities to both the–”

“No time for that, Dinky.” Apple Bloom stood in front of her, nodding. “You know the power he wants to summon. Give it to him.”

Dinky’s smile grew until it became a wide grin. “Yes! That’s brilliant!”

Apple Bloom winked with a smile. “We’ll see you both at the Palace.”

“If it works.”

She turned serious, gesturing the other ponies to run away. “We’re counting on it.”

Apple Bloom bowed before following the others. Behind them, Dinky took a deep breath and galloped towards Pipsqueak and Trixie.

-o-

Pipsqueak stood in front of Trixie, standing on her hind legs with her hooves crossed in front of him.

“This is the only chance I’ll give you, Trixie,” warned Pipsqueak.

“And just why do you think Trixie’s buying your story?” she mocked.

“So I guess you want to risk it.”

“And why don’t you just defeat me now, if you have the power? You’re lying!”

“It’s actually quite simple,” started Pipsqueak. “The Celestial Tournament is a sacred competition; no blood shall be spilled during it.” He frowned, smashing his hooves together. “Even if it’s the blood of a monster such as yourself!”

“So, according to your delusions of grandeur, what options does Trixie have, hmm?”

“You can leave this place and never return, or you can challenge me, and I’ll use the ‘Way of the Void’ to defeat you just like Pinkie did the last time. Then, I’ll drag your unconscious body to the Palace, and the clan leaders will make sure that you never rise again.”

With a sardonic smile, Trixie charged him. “That will be if Trixie lets you!”

Pipsqueak jumped to the left, dodging her by an inch. With a horrified gaze, he took a defensive stance.

“Okay, I didn’t expect that reaction,” he muttered. “But at least they’re safe. Now it’s time to put my training to good use.”

Trixie jumped towards him in an attempt to maul him, but he dodged her attack with a swift feint. Taking advantage of his position, he grabbed her and, with a loud cry, threw her against a huge boulder, making her grunt in pain.

“Surrender!” yelled Pipsqueak, taking a defensive stance.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie will never surrender to a whelp!” she replied while getting up.

Rushing towards him, she attacked again with her claws. Although he was able to move away from a few blows, one of them scratched the white side of his face. With a terrifying grin, Trixie pounced towards him and embraced him tightly with her forehooves. Once she had gripped him, she sunk her claws in Pipsqueak’s back. His grunts of pain made her grin even wider. She opened her mouth with a scream, biting his collarbone and ripping the flesh.

“This should be more than enough for Trixie’s spell,” she said victoriously. “Now, die!”

With a bellowing, primal howl, both ponies burst into azure flames. Trixie cackled as Pipsqueak let out a shivery cry, and his attempts to release himself from the grapple only made her laugh louder. Once the spell was over, she pushed him back nonchalantly. However, she gawked at him falling on his knees.

“Too much…” he muttered to himself. “Even with the technique active… I still felt the flames and the pain.”

“How!?” roared Trixie, stepping back. “How can you still be alive!?”

“I’m a Party monk…” he replied, breathing heavily. “And now… it’s my turn!”

He swung his arms slowly, taking a step forward with gritted teeth. His hooves moved up and down gently like a jellyfish dragged by the waves.

“We are powerful, Trixie,” said Pipsqueak. “We embody the elements. We have the ferocity of flames, the sturdiness of a mountain, the speed of a hurricane, the might of a flood and the hidden potential of the void. Thus, we wield the elements. No… we are the elements!”

“Maybe Pinkie can, but you’re a whelp that can barely stand on your hooves!” joked Trixie.

“I’m ready!” With all his might, he jumped towards her. “Feel the strength of the waterfall!”

With a mighty cry, he punched her cheek with a tremendous blow. Trixie’s neck made a loud cracking noise as she squealed in agony.

“Pinkie was right,” he muttered, trying to catch his breath. “She’s incredibly resilient. Even with her neck broken, she’s still alive.” He smashed his hooves together, growling loudly. “This is your last chance, Trixie!” he cried. “The ‘Way of the Void’ awaits you!”

Trixie stood on her hind legs, grabbing her head with gritted teeth before relocating her neck with a snap. She cringed and railed in agony, staring at him with bloodshot eyes. “Do you really think that Trixie believes your bluff, pathetic colt!?” She stepped forward, summoning a torrent of blood around her hoof, forming a long crimson whip. “If you really had the power to summon that so-called ‘Way of the Void’, you’ve already done it! Your bluff has been funny, but now’s the time when Trixie rips you apart!”

She swung the blood whip, entangling Pipsqueak’s neck. Lifting him several feet, she cackled maniacally as Pipsqueak choked and kicked the air.

“So much for Pinkie’s apprentice,” she said while drawing circles with her free claw. Small snowflakes formed around her, combining together to make a large icicle. “Now, die!”

Pipsqueak closed his eyes, shaking his head in desperation. When the ice stake was about to pierce his heart though, the blood whip vanished, letting Pipsqueak fall to the ground. With shaky legs, he got up, grunting in pain and anger.

“How did you do that?” growled Trixie as she walked towards him. “Now matter, you have nothing left to fight Trixie. Don’t worry, your death will be quick and painless; Trixie’s bored of this game.”

Pipsqueak roared with all the power of his lungs, raising his cry to the sky. His legs shook under his own weight and he breathed heavily with drops of blood falling off his body. However, his shout had brought something more that made Trixie stand motionless, staring at him in abject horror. A dark aura covered Pipsqueak’s body, spreading around him in a cloud of void. He stared at her, his eyes turned into dark spheres, showing a victorious grin.

“No! It’s impossible!” Trixie trotted backwards. “Get away from me! Get away from me!

“Never!” Pipsqueak’s voice sounded distorted, echoing throughout the forest. “The void will feast on you!”

With those words, the cloud spread at a slow pace towards Trixie, covering everything that it touched. She galloped away, chanting a few quick words and bursting into flames, flying towards the horizon.

When she left, the dark aura surrounding him dissipated. Pipsqueak fell to the ground, pressing his neck wound to stop the bleeding.

Pipsqueak!” cried Dinky, running from behind the bushes.

“D… Dinky?” He turned to see his fillyfriend galloping at him with her horn shining brightly.

She stopped in front of him, summoning small spirits that danced around his injuries and partially relieved Pipsqueak’s pain.

“Say something, Pip! Please, say something!” pleaded Dinky.

“I’m… I’m fine… I think. What happened? And what are you doing here?”

“I came here to help you. I want to marry, you know?”

Pipsqueak tried to get up, but his legs were too weak at the moment. After a few tries, Dinky levitated him up.

“Yes, I know Dinky,” said Pipsqueak, trying to catch his breath. “But I don’t know what happened.”

“That’s easy to explain. You see, I knew you had a plan and what it was about. But pulling such a huge bluff wasn’t a good idea, especially if you aren’t an adult samurai yet.” Dinky talked in a scolding voice, but she changed into a more gentle tone when she continued. “But I must admit that you had a great plan in mind, and maybe, if pulled correctly, we could scare Trixie away.”

Pipsqueak nodded slowly. “The Way of the Void.”

“Correct. So, while it’s true that you couldn’t perform it, I could use my void magic to emulate the effects of the technique. I’m glad that it worked.”

“So… it was you?” Pipsqueak sounded very disappointed. “I thought that I had attuned myself with the Void.”

“Pipsqueak, it’s not shameful to not be as strong as your masters. Besides, you were able to give her a decent beating for not being a master!”

He chuckled softly. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“And the most important thing…” She jumped towards him, giving him a long and passionate kiss, making them both fall to the ground. Separating herself only a few inches from him, she whispered to his ear. “You’re alive to tell the tale.” Dinky got up, Pipsqueak following suit with a smile. “Can you walk on your own?”

“Yeah, I think I’ll be able to trot my way to the Palace.”

“Good. Now, let’s go, my hero,” she said winking at him. “We have to get there before the time’s up.”

-o-

The Imperial Guard surrounded the Palace, sending pegasi patrols in every direction, bringing no news about Pipsqueak or Dinky. The news about Trixie’s return had raised all the alarms and both contestants were in dire danger. Every attendant remained inside the castle, but not all of them did so willingly. Twilight, Spike and Lyra had to use all the means necessary to stop Derpy from joining the patrols.

“Let me go!” she cried desperately. “My daughter is out there with that monster! I have to save her!”

“Derpy, you have to stay here!” pleaded Twilight. She talked to her with a soothing voice. “Remember that she’s a void summoner. I taught her all she knows. I can assure you that she’d be able to handle herself well.”

“And Pipsqueak’s with her,” added Lyra, also with a comforting tone. “He won’t allow anything to harm her.”

“But… but… She’s a monster!” Derpy hugged both mares, sobbing over Twilight’s shoulder.

“Look, more patrols have returned!” said Twilight. She looked more closely at them, smiling broadly. “And they look happy!”

“The students are on their way here!” announced one of the pegasi. “Summoners, wait for them at the doors, the stallion will need healing. They’ve asked us to let them come on their own and, considering what they told us, we won’t deny it to them.”

“What did they tell you?” inquired Derpy, weeping the remaining tears.

“I think they’d prefer to tell you themselves.”

“Mom!” Dinky’s voice echoed as she galloped inside the Palace, followed more slowly by Pipsqueak.

Dinky!” As the two mares released her, she flew at great speed towards her daughter hugging her tightly and kissing her cheeks and forehead repeatedly. “Oh, my muffin, I was so worried!”

She hugged her mother back with a wide smile. “I’m fine, mom, and I owe it all to Pipsqueak’s bravery.”

Derpy released her daughter and hugged Pipsqueak, only to let him go after he let out a painful grunt. She looked at him in awe, noticing the wounds he had in the back, collarbone and face, as well as the lesser burnings around the body. “Sweet Celestia, what happened to you?”

“I’m sorry,” said Dinky. “I was too tired after the fight, and I couldn’t heal him completely.”

“We’ll take care of that,” replied one of the summoners, their horns shining brightly. Small water spirits covered Pipsqueak’s body healing his wounds and burnings.

“I faced Trixie back at the forest,” started Pipsqueak. “Dinky protected the group from her attacks with shield spells. I told them to run away, that I could distract her, and even scare her away if I was able to make her believe that I could defeat her with the same power that Pinkie used against her.”

“But you don’t have the power to do that!” said Lyra.

“I know, but she didn’t.” Pipsqueak smiled before continuing. “Trixie was a bit nervous at first, but we actually fought for a while. However, Dinky’s also to be praised, for I’d be dead if not for her.”

“I went back to help him, but stayed hidden behind the bushes. I was able to both dispel Trixie’s attack and summon a dark aura around Pipsqueak.” Dinky’s horn shone as she whispered a few words, when the dark aura surrounded Pipsqueak again to everypony’s awe.

“Wow it’s really well made!” cheered Pinkie, applauding. “I would’ve fallen for it too.”

“Unbelievable!” Twilight’s jaw dropped. “That’s exactly what I saw when we fought Trixie the first time.”

“Trixie fled terrified when Dinky spread the aura slowly in every direction,” continued Pipsqueak. “But we should secure the Palace, even though she won’t attack it directly.”

“Correct,” nodded Twilight, turning to Spike. “The jewel in the back of your right claw has a remote speech spell bound to it. Use it to talk to the Inquisitor’s barracks. Tell them to send two squads to the Palace immediately.”

Spike saluted, walking away from the crowd. Everypony returned to their places as the Chancellor raised her hoof and cleared her throat.

“I’ll announce the final results and then we can all go to rest. Today has been a longer day than expected. The final score for all the contestants in the second day are as follows:” She raised the scroll in front of her, slowly quoting the results. “Apple Bloom, seven points; Scootaloo, five points; Sweetie Belle, five points; Twist, seven points; Diamond Tiara, five points; Silver Spoon, seven points; Snails, five points; Pipsqueak, five points; Dinky, six points; and Snips, three points. Those who haven’t gathered enough points still have a chance at tomorrow’s dueling championship. If anypony has something to say before we call it a day, speak now.”

“We do!” replied Luna before flying down the balcony.

The ponies kneeled as she landed graciously on the ground right in front of both Pipsqueak and Dinky.

“Who art thine mentors, youngsters?” inquired Luna with her wings extended.

“We are, my Empress.” Twilight and Lyra walked in front of their students, kneeling before her.

“You must feel proud of them, for their feat is not a small one. Thou hath taught them well, and they have proven themselves worthy of their future role as samurais. Tomorrow, at the enclosure ceremony, they’ll receive their proper reward.” She took off, returning to her place next to her sister. “Thou may leave. The dueling championship starts tomorrow at nine in the morning.”

-o-

Pipsqueak and Dinky walked to the chamber of the Party contestants.

“Hey, sweetie, thank for coming with me,” said Pipsqueak with a smile. “You saved my life back there.”

“And you saved everypony’s life, and fought Trixie even though you knew you wouldn’t be able to defeat her.”

With a grin, Pipsqueak kissed Dinky on the check before opening the main room’s door.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you…” He stopped suddenly when Dinky walked inside, winking at him. “D-Dinky? What are you doing?”

“Well, Empress Luna said she’d reward us for what we did,” replied Dinky. She wiggled her tail, caressing Pipsqueak’s face. “But I also have something for you.”

He blushed violently, stuttering. “B-but we can’t! T-this is the Imperial Palace! A-and you have your room with the other Lore members! T-they’ll know you’re not there and t-they’ll find us!”

“We saved them; I’m sure they won’t say a word.”

“Even so,” continued Pipsqueak, “I’m exhausted after the fight.”

She snorted softly, turning to him. “Don’t worry about that.” She caressed his chest with her hoof, whispering to his ear. “This time, I’ll do all the work.” She raised an eyebrow, giggling. “Well, looks like your heart is galloping frantically! Come on, Pip I want to give my hero what he deserves.”

Pipsqueak stared at her, moving his lips but not saying a word. After taking a deep breath, he looked at the bed. “This isn’t going to end well.”

Dinky showed a brazen smile. “Oh, I’m sure it will.”

-o-

Later that night, in the Imperial Chambers, Whooves and the Empresses discussed the events that had taken place at the tournament so far in the middle of a tea ceremony.

“Nine out of ten contestants have passed in the first two days,” said Whooves. “I must admit that I’m surprised.”

“You said we’d witness greatness, old friend,” replied Celestia.

“That doesn’t mean that seeing it with my own eyes leaves me nonchalant.”

“We art more concerned with the Bloodspeaker,” added Luna, “as well as the mysterious creature that infiltrated the castle.”

“True, though Trixie’s apparently far away from here.” Whooves grabbed his cup of tea and gave a short sip. “Besides, we now have Lore Inquisitors protecting the Empire. Gemmed Gallants and Flaming Falconers are scouting the area. As for the mysterious stalker…” He stared at his half-empty cup, shaking it in circles. “Whatever they wanted to do here, they either did it and ran away or didn’t have the chance and retreated before they could be caught.”

“None of the guards reported anything missing,” informed Celestia. “If they wanted something material, they didn’t get it.”

“I’m glad to hear it.” Whooves turned to Luna with a smile. “So, what do you have in mind for those two, Luna? Aside from warning the guards to not disturb them tonight, of course.”

“What art thou talking about?” inquired Luna.

“Oh, don’t worry, Whooves, I took care of that,” replied Celestia with a soft snort. “We’ll pretend that nothing happened, and the guards won’t disturb them.”

“Ah, the passion of the youth. So many good memories.” Whooves finished his cup of tea, then left it on the table. “Well, Luna, you mentioned a reward for Pipsqueak and Dinky.”

She raised an eyebrow, looking at Celestia from the corner of the eye. “What art the guards supposed to not... Oh.” She cleared her throat, blushing slightly. “We… we guess we could turn a blind eye to that, yes. But we were thinking about investing them with the rank of Jade Magistrates.”

“A good idea, Luna,” praised Celestia. ”But I’m afraid that they may not be ready.”

“They were able to scare away one of the biggest threats the Empire’s facing at the moment,” replied Whooves. “The Lore and the Party have certain knowledge about the Everfree Forest, and their position would grant them a closer relationship with the Apple. They might be competent now, but with time, they’ll be powerful soldiers.”

“There’s something you’re not telling us, Whooves,” replied Celestia. “I know it.”

“A Fortune can have his secrets, I guess.”

“I was afraid you’re going to say that.” Celestia refilled his cup of tea.

“You don’t have to feel bad about it. It’s actually a good thing, but I can’t talk about it.”

Celestia lifted her cup, taking a sip. “The fact that one of the contestants sympathizes with the Bloodspeaker worries me.”

“Considering what he just saw, I doubt that he’ll continue praising her. However, keeping an eye on him from now on would be a good idea.”

“Thou definitely know something, Whooves,” commented Luna with a frown.

“But my hooves are as tied up as yours, Empress, and you know that. Why would you want the added weight that comes with another piece of advice that can’t be shared with mortals? No, this burden is mine. And only when the time comes will I be able to act.”

Both Empresses inclined their heads in agreement, looking at him with sorrowful eyes.

-o-

The next morning, the Imperial Palace was much more crowded. Everypony wanted to witness the dueling tournament, and this was the only day where there were no restrictions. However, because of Trixie’s incident, the guards double-checked the attending guests.

As always, the Empresses chaired the ceremony, and the highest representatives of each clan held their usual places. In front of them, Chancellor Mare stood in front of a table, with the ten contestants in line.

-o-

“This is going to be interesting,” said Spitfire. “There are several ponies that could win, but I guess that everypony’s favorite is Silver Spoon.”

“There are few ponies that could stand a chance against her,” admitted Soarin’. “However, I love surprises, and we might see one.”

“Derpy, you haven’t said a word in all the morning,” commented Rainbow Dash. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, Overlord, I’m fine.” Derpy snorted as she stared at both Dinky and Pipsqueak, who snickered every time they looked at each other, showing broad smiles.

“What?”

“I recognize that particular smile, Overlord.”

“Okay, I guess I can’t count on your judgment at the moment.” Rainbow Dash looked at Scootaloo, nodding weakly. ”I hope everything goes well.”

“I can expect Silver Spoon to win, but I have the feeling that Apple Boom might stand a chance against her,” said Derpy. “In fact, if they had both fought each other in the first round, it would be much harder to predict a winner.”

“What do you have to support your theory, Spymaster?” inquired Spitfire.

“Apple Bloom observes, learns and acts according to what she gathers. She’s the sister of a general, after all. And apparently Big Mac knows something about Silver Spoon’s style. I know that the masters of both dueling academies are betting who’ll win, and Pokey apparently bet on Apple Bloom.”

“That won’t end well for any of them,” remarked Soarin’. “I’d rather avoid bets of any kind.”

“We’ll see how it goes,” replied Rainbow Dash. “For now, the tournament awaits.”

-o-

“Ah don’t think that getting into bets with the master duelists wasn’t a good idea, brother,” said Applejack with a concerned voice.

“Ah know, but Silverspeed has an attitude problem, and Ah know that Silver Spoon can be defeated.” With his hooves crossed, Big Macintosh looked at Apple Bloom. “If she can find it out, she’d be able to defeat her.”

“Apple Bloom beating the best student of the Swift Strike dojo?” Applejack raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Ah know she’s our sister and all, but maybe you’re thinking too highly of ‘er.”

“Could be, or maybe yer thinking too lowly of ‘er,” corrected Big Mac with a smile.

Applejack smiled back at him with an approving nod. “Yer right. Let’s see what our sis can do!”

-o-

“The Inquisitors have been deployed as you requested, Twilight,” reported Spike. “The entire Palace is protected and ready to withstand anything.”

“Good.” Twilight nodded approvingly, tapping her hoof on the floor.

“Do you think that Snips has changed his mind after what he saw?”

“It’s a possibility, but I’m not taking it.” She crossed her hooves, staring at Snips. “Power is too tempting for those weak of spirit. They don’t fear consequences as long as they get what they want.”

“We’ll see… If he passes, maybe you could give him a role that’d allow him to be under constant watch.”

“I’ve been thinking about it. He still has to win a round to pass.” Twilight looked at every contestant with a disdainful expression. “And by the looks of it, he’s going to have a hard time.”

-o-

“This is going to be boring,” admitted Carrot Top with a sigh. “Silver Spoon is the only duelist, she has the advantage here.”

“You don’t think the others have a chance?” Fluttershy lowered her head. “But I trust that Twist will do a good job.”

“I’m sure she will, but she can’t defeat a duelist. She hasn’t been trained for that.”

“I understand.” Fluttershy looked at Carrot top through the corner of the eye. “But not being trained for something doesn’t mean that you’re going to lose.”

“Why do you say that?”

“She beat both Silver Spoon in bare-hooved combat and Sweetie Belle in armed combat. With a sang kauw, no less.” Fluttershy raised an eyebrow, smiling broadly. “She has something that very few ponies have: adaptability. She learns the basics quickly.”

“She didn’t participate in fields where others excelled, Lady Fluttershy. Neither Silver Spoon or Sweetie Belle were trained in those fields.”

“I can see certain things that apparently you miss, Carrot Top.” Fluttershy clapped a single time. “Besides, she passed already, now she’ll do the best she can.”

-o-

“And let’s start praising my student, the future Celestial Champion!” cheered Silverspeed.

“Yes, I admit that she’s the favorite,” started Fancypants. “But I think you should consider that some contestants have proven themselves hard to beat. And General Macintosh himself said that he’d found a weakness in Silver Spoon’s style.”

“While I respect his rank and authority, I don’t think that—”

“He’s also a duelist,” added Zircon. “Sure, he uses those large spiked maces instead of the usual katana, but he knows how to duel. And let me tell you, he’s quite decent at it. He defeated Hoity, who was a student at the academy.”

“In that case,” continued Silverspeed, “should I expect the unexpected?”

“Quite,” replied Fancypants with a smile. “You’d be surprised of what you can learn about your rivals if you don’t look down on them.”

“You haven’t said anything Lady Rarity,” said Rich. “Is everything alright?”

“It’s okay, Darling, I just want to enjoy the championship,” replied Rarity. “I’ve been thinking too much about everything these past few days. This is the last day, and I need to free my mind from all the bad things that are taking place around here.”

-o-

“Finally, something that I can enjoy wholeheartedly,” admitted Pokey. “And Snails passed, so he might want to join us!”

“Glad to hear it, Pokey!” replied Pinkie with a giggle. “Where are the refreshments when you need them? This is going to be really amazing!”

“Pipsqueak only got five points,” said Lyra with a sigh. “It’s almost impossible for him to become the Celestial Champion.”

“Well, dear, I think you shouldn’t be thinking about it.” Bon Bon grabbed her hoof tenderly, smiling broadly. “Think about Luna’s reward. And about what he did! He stood his ground against a Bloodspeaker! That’s incredible! You should be proud of him!

“You should definitely send him to us, Lyra,” offered Inkie, hitting herself in the chest. “He has a vast potential.”

“Indeed,” seconded Blinkie. “If Empress Luna has plans for him, he should be able to fit high expectations.”

“You can trust us, Lyra,” comforted Surprise, flapping her wings slowly. “He’ll become a mighty warrior at the service of the Party and the Empire!”

Pokey gestured with his hoof for the mares to lower their talking. “It’s starting.”

-o-

“The Dueling Championship of the Celestial Tournament is going to begin!” announced the Chancellor. “Every victory will earn two points to the winner. The one who gathers the most points at the end will become the Celestial Champion.” There were two wooden katanas lying on the table. “The duels will be at first strike, so the one who hits his rival first wins, gets two points and moves to the next round. The first contestants will be Pipsqueak and Silver Spoon.”

“Aw, horseapples,” sighed Pipsqueak.

“Give her your best shot, sweetie!” cheered Dinky.

Both ponies walked towards the table and grabbed their swords, then stood one in front of the other.

“Let’s see what I can do,” muttered Pipsqueak.

“Strike!” cried Silver Spoon.

Pipsqueak took a step forward drawing a descending arc with the sword. Silver Spoon, at that very instant, struck with lightning speed and, to everypony’s awe, both blades clashed with a thundering sound. The room filled with a collective gasp as Silver Spoon jumped back with widened eyes of disbelief as Pipsqueak charged towards her. However, this time he couldn’t avoid the blow, and Silver Spoon’s swing hit him in the ribs. With a low grunt, he landed on his four hooves, sighing in defeat.

“Silver Spoon passes to the next round!” announced the Chancellor.

“A wonderful fight indeed, Pipsqueak,” admitted Silver Spoon, bowing deeply at him. “It’s amazing that a non-duelist has been the first pony to be close to defeat me. Monks are really outstanding.”

“Good luck with the other fights, Silver Spoon,” replied Pipsqueak, bowing back.

“Snips and Snails, it’s your turn!” called the Chancellor.

With a broad smile, Snips levitated the sword, trotting towards the ring. Snails, on the other side, raised the blade with a sorrowful face. Both looked at each other, taking the dueling stance.

“Strike,” said Snails.

“Thanks, buddy!” replied Snips, raising his sword.

With a swift move, Snails jumped to his left, striking Snips in the stomach. He stood motionless as the Chancellor announced the winner.

“Snails wins the round!”

“Why, Snails?” Snips turned back at him. “Why didn’t you let me win? It was perfect! A gift for me to pass! We would’ve been able to redo our lives together!”

“I’m sorry, Snips. I’m really sorry. But I must fight with all my strength and show my full potential. Letting you win wouldn’t have been fair for any of us.”

“Leave me alone!” cried Snips, trotting towards the rest of the contestants.

Snails lowered his head, walking slowly to stand beside Silver Spoon.

“Diamond Tiara and Twist, get ready!” demanded the Chancellor.

Snails offered the sword to Twist, who patted him on the back. “You did what you had to, Thnailth,” comforted Twist.

“Good luck, my friend,” replied Snails.

“Why didn’t anypony give me the sword too?” grunted Tiara, taking the sword from the table. “Let’s get this over with.”

They looked at each for a brief moment, the nervousness of inexperience palpable.

“Thtrike!” cried Twist.

Tiara drew an ascending arc with her sword that Twist parried without problems. With a quick feint, Twist countered Tiara’s strike, hitting her on the side.

“Twist goes to the next round!” announced the Chancellor.

Tiara shrugged as she let the sword on the table. “I passed anyways; I don’t care about the rest.” She bowed slightly and walked away, followed by Twist.

“Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, you’re next!” called the Chancellor.

Apple Bloom trotted inside the ring, picking the wooden sword to face the trembling Sweetie Belle.

“Don’t worry, Sweetie Belle,” comforted Apple Bloom. “Ah won’t hurt you.”

“Yeah, I know, but you’re still a bit scary,” admitted Sweetie Belle with an innocent smile.

Though her comment wasn’t malicious at heart, Apple Bloom’s face showed a sad grimace. With sorrowful eyes, the towering mare took a step backwards in order to change to a dueling stance.

“Strike!” cried Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle unsheathed her sword, only to cower as Apple Bloom drew a descendant arc that howled as it cut the air. She stopped the blade just at the right moment for it to tap Sweetie Belle’s head gently.

“Apple Bloom passes to the next round!” announced the Chancellor.

“Sorry,” said Sweetie Belle. “I didn’t mean to hurt you, it’s just that—”

“It’s okay,” replied Apple Bloom. “Ah know you didn’t. Ahm a giant pony trained to fight. Ah can be scary, especially for those who’re forced to face me and aren’t trained to battle.” She smiled weakly as both of them walked away.

“And the final contestants for the first round: Scootaloo and Dinky!” called the Chancellor.

Both mares trotted towards the table, picking up the swords with determination. Scootaloo took an offensive stance instead of the usual dueling one, as Dinky did.

“Strike,” said Dinky.

“I’ll win!” roared Scootaloo, charging towards her.

She dodged Dinky’s strike, then drew a descending arc that her rival wasn’t able to parry. The mighty blow landed on Dinky’s forehead with a thundering hit, followed by a scream of pain and Dinky falling to the ground.

Dinky!” cried Derpy, taking off towards her.

She hugged her daughter tightly as Dinky pressed the bleeding wound on her head. “Mommy!” she cried out with watery eyes. “It hurts… It hurts a lot!”

“You’re going to be okay, muffin,” Derpy reassured as the Imperial summoners and Pipsqueak galloped towards them.

“I’m here, Dinky,” said Pipsqueak, taking her hoof as soon as he got next to her. “I won’t move from your side.”

“Pip… Pip…”

Pipsqueak hushed her tenderly. “The healers are here. You’ll be fine.”

Scootaloo stepped back, looking at the bloody blade of her wooden sword with widened eyes. She spat the weapon out, staring at the summoners casting healing spells on Dinky.

“Well,” said Scootaloo with a forced laugh and trembling voice, looking in every direction. “I g-guess it’s all solved… r-right?”

Derpy raised her head slowly, both eyes staring directly at Scootaloo. “You…” She released her daughter from the hug and offered Pip to take her. When he grabbed her, Derpy walked slowly towards Scootaloo.

Scootaloo stepped back. “Come on, Derpy, t-they healed her. She’s fine, s-see? Let’s move on and f-forget this—”

Quiet!” Derpy’s scream echoed through the whole palace.

Scootaloo shrank in sheer terror, stuttering. “Derpy, I-I-I’m sorry! I-it was an accident!”

“First of all, it’s Spymaster Derpy Hooves! You’ll refer to me as your superior for my full rank and name! Second, you don’t even have the faintest idea of what you’ve done. You could’ve killed her. My daughter! This is a tournament, a training exercise! If not for the healers—”

“Mom...” called Dinky, hugging Pipsqueak tightly. “Please, stop… You’re scaring me.”

Derpy breathed heavily, looking back at her daughter. Dinky’s pleading eyes seemed to soothe her anger. With a sad gaze, Derpy extended one of her wings, inviting her to come under it. Dinky galloped towards her mother’s side, hugging her tightly as Derpy covered her with her wing.

“Thank you, mom,” said Dinky, kissing her mother’s cheek.

“I’m sorry, Dinky, I completely lost it,” admitted Derpy.

“But this is a serious fault nonetheless,” added Pipsqueak, coming to stand beside Dinky and Derpy as he stared furiously at Scootaloo.

“Hey, this is none of your business, monk!” replied Scootaloo heatedly.

“I agree with him,” said Rainbow Dash, getting up from her seat. She had a mixture of anger and disappointment in her eyes. “This is indeed a serious fault. You’ve proven that either you can’t control your might or you don’t care if there’s a friend or foe in front of you.”

“But Dash,” started Scootaloo.

Overlord Rainbow Dash for you!” she corrected with a yell. “I’m not one of your childhood friends! I’m your clan leader, and you should refer to me respectfully!” She looked at the Chancellor. “I request that Scootaloo doesn’t earn the victory points and gets disqualified from the dueling championship.”

“What?!” Scootaloo opened her mouth to object, but Rainbow Dash’s angry frown terrorized her.

Chancellor Mare looked up at the Empresses, who shared a glance before looking back and nodding solemnly at the request. “Because of the unusual situation, we accept. Scootaloo’s disqualified from the dueling championship. The second round will take place immediately after they clean the sword. Silver Spoon and Snails, get ready!”

“Well, I guess this was bound to happen,” Snails said with a defeated smile.

“You’ve already gotten this far,” replied Silver Spoon.

Both ponies picked up the swords and took dueling stances, scanning each other for more than a minute.

“Strike!” cried Silver Spoon.

Snails’ first attack caught her by surprise, being barely able to block it. She walked backwards as he threw a flurry of blows at her, stopping every single one of them. After parrying the last one, she pushed him back, leaving him vulnerable to her attack. A lightning-fast swing impacted on his front leg.

“Silver Spoon goes to the next round!” announced the Chancellor.

“You might become a great duelist one day Snails,” admitted Silver Spoon. “Though the Swift Strike isn’t your style.”

“I guess that means that there’s still hope,” he replied with a smile.

She snorted softly, nodding with a gentle grin.

“Apple Bloom and Twist, you’re next!” called Chancellor Mare.

“Gueth we’ll know who hath to be defeated by Thilver Thpoon,” said Twist with a sigh.

“Ah wouldn’t be so sure ‘bout that,” replied Apple Bloom.

Twist looked at her, raising an eyebrow in disbelief. “You think you can beat her?”

“Ah noticed something, mahbe there’s a snowflake’s chance.”

The two mares stood in front of each other, ready to attack.

“Twist,” started Apple Bloom, looking at Sweetie Belle through the corner of her eye. “Are you… are you scared of me?”

“A mare of your thize and thtrength is an intimidating thight,” admitted Twist. “But you shouldn’t feel bad about it. If it hath to do with what Thweetie Belle told you, I gueth it hath to do with having to face one in a fight more than anything.”

Apple Bloom nodded with a sad gaze. “Ah guess… Ready?”

“Ready.”

“Strike!”

Twist drew a horizontal arc with her sword, which clashed with Apple Bloom’s. Taking a step back, Apple Bloom performed a sweeping strike that hit Twist on the hoof, making her fall to the ground.

“Apple Bloom will fight Silver Spoon in the final round!” announced Chancellor Mare with a broad smile. “Whoever wins the final round will become the Celestial Champion. Take your places!”

Apple Bloom didn’t move from her spot as Silver Spoon took Twist’s sword and stood in front of her.

“It’s now you and I, Apple Bloom,” said Silver Spoon.

“Eeyup,” replied Apple Bloom with a nod.

“Strike!”

Apple Bloom took a step forward, to which Silver Spoon reacted by striking as usual. However, Apple Bloom pushed herself up, standing on her hind legs and avoiding the attack. Caught off-guard, Silver Spoon didn’t have time to react as Apple Bloom landed on her four hooves, hitting her in the collarbone.

The hall became silent for a moment until Chancellor Mare announced the end of the tournament. “Apple Bloom wins the fight! She’s the new Celestial Champion!”

“How… How did you do it?” inquired Silver Spoon, still dazed by the result.

“Ah observed you,” replied Apple Bloom. “Ah noticed that you always strike the same way. In a fight against somepony you’ve never met it may not matter, but in a tournament, you become predictable. And being predictable means defeat.”

“I… I still have much to learn, then. You’re truly worthy of being the Celestial Champion.“

”Learn to strike in different and random angles and you’ll become unstoppable,” advised Apple Bloom with a smile.

“Contestants, come as I call you,” announced the Empress. “I shall give you your wakizashi and katana according to your role.”

The ceremony was hasty, but emotive nonetheless. Diamond Tiara, Sweetie Belle, Dinky and Twist were offered wakizashis, the samurai’s insignia. Scootaloo, Pipsqueak, Silver Spoon and Apple Bloom got also katanas in representation of their roles as warriors. Apart from that, Apple Bloom also got a laurel wreath as a sign of being the Celestial Champion. The last pony Mare called was Snails, who stepped forward with his head high.

“The Party Clan allowed you to join the Tournament,” said the Chancellor.

“Yes, Chancellor.” He looked at the two swords that she offered to him.

“How will you serve them?”

“A warrior’s given two swords.” He levitated them gently, hanging one on either side of his body. “It’d be rude to not use both for our Empire’s good. I’ll join the Bladedancers!”

“Pipsqueak, Dinky, step forward!” demanded Luna, flying down the balcony. The other ponies trotted back by the time the Empress landed in front of them. “We haven’t forgotten yesterday’s feat. Thou hath proven skill beyond the average pony, and the knowledge to fight the forces of the Everfree Forest. Thus, by the power of our status as Empress, we bestow thee both with the status of Jade Magistrates. Thine mentors shall instruct thee further in tactics against Bloodspeakers and their foul magic, as well as overseeing the appropriate use of magic.”

“You can rest assured that we’ll do our best, Empress,” replied Twilight and Lyra, kneeling at her.

“We expect no less from thee.” Luna took off, flying back to the balcony, gently waving her hoof when he landed, as did Celestia.

“The Celestial Tournament is officially over,” said Celestia. “You may return to your lands.”

“My time’s also over,” muttered Whooves. “I shall return to wander Equestria until my assistance is required.”

“Be safe, my old friend.” Both Celestia and Luna bowed gently at him.

“If you don’t mind, I’d like to visit the castle. I haven’t been here in decades.”

“Feel free, Whooves.”

-o-

Once the contestants and the clan’s representatives were gone, the Palace turned once more into the silent place that it usually was. Whooves walked through the hallway on his own, greeting every guard he passed by. Though most of them were on patrol duties, Zephyrus agreed to take some time with him, his turn having just finished.

“It’s been an honor having you here, Whooves,” admitted Zephyrus. “Even though we’ll forget everything when you leave the Palace, am I right?”

“Unfortunately yes. However, that’s how things must be.” Whooves showed a weak smile. “It’s still been an amazing tournament, and a refreshing experience to see the Empresses and the Clans.”

“I admit that some things shouldn’t have happened.”

“Don’t say that, my good friend. How would you understand what perfection is if you had nothing to compare it to?”

“I guess you’re right.” Zephyrus stared in front of him with a worried look on his face. “I don’t remember having been here before. I hope you know how to get back to the barracks.”

Whooves snorted softly. “I admit that the castle is way too big, but the Daughters of Heaven deserve no less. Is there anything you recognize?”

“Well, we just left the seventh corridor to the left of the main hall, so that room there must be the cellar.”

Whooves raised an eyebrow with a rogue smirk. “Well, I can see why you remember it.”

Zephyrus laughed loudly, shaking his hoof. “No, no, you’ve got me all wrong. We have designated patrols and only go to different sectors when ordered. I studied the maps, though, so I can deduce our location thanks to it, even if I haven’t been here before.”

Whooves suddenly stopped his walking. “There’s something wrong here.”

“Pardon?”

“You said that the room in front of us is the cellar, right?”

Zephyrus nodded. “That’s right.”

“Do you feel it, Zephyrus?” inquired Whooves.

“What should I feel?”

“There’s something in this cellar that should bestow a feeling of discomfort. But I don’t feel anything.”

“I… I don’t feel anything.”

“Zephyrus, did you all get reports of the whole palace?” Whooves’ voice sounded extremely concerned.

“We… We sent guards everywhere and…” Zephyrus tapped his head repetitively. “One of the guards came to check this place.”

“Did he return to report?”

Zephyrus’ eyes widened in shock. “Now that I think of it, he didn’t. But what’s in there anyway?”

“Drat!” Whooves slammed the door open, galloping through the cellar, followed by Zephyrus.

“What are we looking for?”

“Here!” Whooves stopped in front of a wall, tapping a section with his hoof. “Cast dispel in this section!”

“But that’s a wall. It doesn’t even have a hollow sound!”

“Do it, Zephyrus!”

He nodded nervously, closing his eyes as he whispered a few words. His horn shone brightly, and the section of the wall he was pointing at disappeared. Whooves gawked at the empty space discovered.

“It’s not here!” cried Whooves. “The Black Scroll isn’t here!”

What?! There was a Black Scroll here? Why didn’t the Empress tell us?”

“For obvious reasons,” replied Whooves. “If everypony knew about their locations, the forces of the Everfree Forest could’ve found them via torture. The Scrolls contain the essence that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon. Celestia and Luna hid the Scrolls, and they told me where this was.”

“But that means the pony who infiltrated here shouldn’t have known that the Scroll was here.”

“Dumb luck,” said Whooves with a shrug. “He was running away from you, hid in the cellar and found it.”

“What should we do now?”

“I have to go to the Everfree Forest to find out more.” He looked at Zephyrus with a stern face. “Inform the Empresses of the Black Scroll’s disappearance.”

“But if you leave, I—”

“You’ll forget about me, but will remember about the Scroll! Now go!”