• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 54 Comments

Ponies of the Five Rings - Simon_oSullivan



Legend of the Five Rings: Equestria Edition

  • ...
4
 54
 2,046

Chapter 2: The Night Mare. Part 1

Chapter II: The Night Mare

Trixie sat on a tree stump reading the scrolls, their dark knowledge now hers to command. The thought of having to use blood as a catalyst in order to cast those spells was disgusting. However, they seemed to be very powerful compared to the ones she studied back at the Empire. Once in a while, after reading one of these tainted spells’ effects, she shrank in fear. Nevertheless, she couldn’t help but grin wickedly, thinking about how she’d torture those who ruined her life.

Trixie’s ears shot up as a roar echoed through the forest. She got up, scrambled to put the scrolls back in the cache, and looked in the direction from where the sound had come. She looked closer and noticed a cave partially hidden by some trees. Stepping back, she summoned her magic, small bubbles of light swinging around her horn. The shadow of a creature could be seen on the back wall, but it was still too deep into it for her to identify it. However, she could see that it was something big because of the roar. A manticore rushed forward and stopped just short of her, staring at her with hungry eyes. Trixie made the light orbs detonate, creating a blast of light that blinded the creature. Leaving it to howl in pain, she galloped away as fast as she could.

The creature’s roars forced Trixie to double her speed. She looked back to see that the beast had overcome the blindness and was flying over her. Trixie slid to a halt, spraying dirt everywhere as she pulled a switchback and ran in the other direction. looking up to check on the manticore, who winged over clumsily. She smirked at the thought that she’d earned some precious seconds with that maneuver, but she also knew that she wouldn’t be able to run away forever. Focusing again, she prepared a new spell, but this time she chose an offensive one. When the manticore was about to catch her, she turned around and hurled a fireball towards it, hitting it in the face, setting the creature’s mane ablaze.

“Ha! What do you have to say about the Great and Powerful Trixie’s magic, beast?” She smiled confidently while the creature thrashed around trying to extinguish the flames.

Her confidence faded away when the manticore looked back at her, angrier than before. It pounced with a menacing roar at Trixie, who jumped to her left to avoid the attack. The creature landed and, with the same momentum, turned towards the pony and tried to mangle her, but she was able to dodge it again, feeling the wind the attack had caused a few inches away from her muzzle. Trixie dodged one restless blow after another as the creature tried to rip her apart. However, she couldn’t avoid all the attacks, and one of them hit her, throwing her several feet back. She collided with a tree, which made her cry out in pain before falling to the ground breathless. Feeling she had been defeated, and her final hour was coming as she saw the manticore approaching her with hate and hunger in its eyes, she stood up with a smirk.

“Yes, come at Trixie, you foal!” she demanded, as she took a shaky step forward. “Trixie has nothing to lose, Trixie won’t… Trixie won’t make it easy for you!”

“The creature is weak,” a voice hummed inside of her head. “It thinks you’ve been defeated. Its time has come to an end.”

Trixie nodded, agreeing with the voice, but wasn’t sure about what to do. Then she noticed that the blow she’d received had let a bleeding wound, which gave her an idea. Remembering one of the spells she had read before, she used her own blood as a catalyst in order to cast it, her horn glowing with a dark red aura. The creature noticed the tainted spirits who were being called and stopped its approach, taking a cautious step back.

“There’s no turning back now!” Trixie cried. “You forced Trixie to do this. Now, monster, suffer the consequences!”

Trixie stood up on her hind legs and lifted her forehooves, releasing the tainted energies she had summoned. The powerful spell projected a scarlet blast aimed towards the manticore. Upon touching the beast, the spell disappeared inside it. Roaring in agony as its skin rippled with boils and blisters, the manticore smacked itself with its claws. It rolled on the ground, as if trying to extinguish a fire. Signs of inner burnings showed throughout its body moments before the beast collapsed on the floor with a deafening thud.

“Boiling blood,” the voice said with a surprised tone. “You really have potential, young unicorn.”

“You mean-”

“You burnt it from the inside. A most interesting selection you made.”

Trixie’s face turned white. She had read the spell and knew it was despicable, but watching for herself its effects had let her speechless. She had given the creature one of the most horrible deaths imaginable.

“Who… who are you anyways?”

“Why, I’ve been sent here to train you.”

In front of Trixie a cloud of roiling smog started condensing, taking the form of a spectral male earth pony. The spirit lacked eyes, his sockets being hollow holes from which a dark glow softly shone. His mane and tail resembled rotten seaweed and his grin made Trixie’s blood run cold.

“I am a tainted spirit of the Everfree Forest. I’ve been sent here to tutor you in your studies concerning our magic as the old unicorn told you.”

“Yes, the old unicorn, I remember.” Trixie’s mind raced with questions, but she couldn’t bring herself to as any of them. Finally, she stuttered out, “D-do you know him?”

“Indeed, but that’s not important now. What matters now is that I’m here to guide you through your Maho studies.”

“Why?”

“My master told me to. Besides, you have potential, I’ve seen it. That’s why I decided to help you back there. Now come, bloodspeaker. You have much to learn.”

-o-

A couple of Imperial Guards patrolled the gardens outside of the Imperial Palace. The routes were seldom active or interesting at all. The flapping wings of nocturnal birds were the only thing that broke the dead silence of the night, aside from the conversation between the guards.

“I’d rather go back to the training camp, Captain,” complained the private.

“Quit whining!” spat the captain. “Don’t stop and you’ll end up cleaning the barracks on your own!”

The guards said no more, following the usual route. However, as they were reaching the end of it, the private noticed something far away. He pointed at a light in the distance.

“Captain, what’s that?”

“I… I don’t know. That shouldn’t be there.” He unsheathed his sword, and approached slowly. The private followed suit, walking behind him.

The glow appeared to be getting closer to the soldiers. They took a defensive stance as they tried to figure out what was coming towards them. When it came closer, they saw a black mare of indescribable beauty, tall and slim, with mane and tail made of living flames.

“My, my, I’ve never seen such ravishing stallions,” the mare fluttered her eyes at them. “I think I’m a bit lost. Would any of you be so kind of showing me the way out of these gardens? I’d be really grateful.”

“I-I-’ll be glad to help!”

“Halt, private!” the captain ordered as the soldier sheathed his sword and galloped towards the mare.

“Thank you, handsome,” the mare complimented, smiling broadly. “I know I can reward such a heroic deed as deserved as soon as we get out of this labyrinthine garden. Guide me, my hero.”

Both ponies walked away, leaving the captain with his mouth wide open in disbelief. When he came back to his senses, they had turned right and disappeared behind some bushes.

“Private!” he roared. “Get back here!” He galloped on the direction the two of them had taken. “As soon as I get my hooves on you I’ll make you clean the toilets with your own tootbruth! You’re going to-”

When he arrived at the turn, which he saw lead to a long straight passage without turns, there was no sign of the soldier or the mare. The captain galloped swiftly, looking everywhere in despair, trying to look for any secret passages that may had gone unnoticed.

“Private!” he called again, his voice stained by fear. “Private, where are you!? Private! Consarnit, I have to get out of here and report this to the Empresses.”

When he turned around, he saw the black mare with the fiery mane in front of him. He unsheathed his sword and stepped back.

“What are you? What have you done to the other soldier?”

“Oh, Captain, I’m so glad I found you!” she cried as she galloped towards him.

“S-stay back! Get away from me!”

“Please, captain, I beg you. You have to help me. You’re the only one who can.”

“No, you’re not a pony! What are you!?”

The mare let out a loud scream, the flames of her mane and tail spread like an explosion, throwing him several feet back.

“You have to help me, captain!” she begged. “A horrible spirit has taken control of me. I need help! Please, I don’t want to die!”

He got up and picked up his sword from the ground, looking at the mare. He let out a long sigh as he approached her carefully.

“Don’t try anything funny, lady.”

“I’m an influential pony. I can give you anything you desire, captain. And I mean anything.”

The soldier looked at her in the eyes, noticing dancing lights where her eyes should be. For reasons he couldn’t comprehend, he was able to picture her as much more desirable. The captain wanted to help her, to be with her. Stepping forward, he beckoned the mare to follow him and both walked together towards the castle.
Neither the private, nor the captain were seen the next day.

-o-

A week had passed since the first disappearances, but they hadn’t stopped. Stallions all over the Empire were vanishing without trace. Big Macintosh worked hard to keep the wall well-defended with the remaining troops. For now, the lack of soldiers wasn’t that problematic. A couple warriors less in sections with assistance of siege engines and some elite runners to carry messages between two sections instead of one.

At first, Applejack thought that the absent soldiers were being lazy or had left their posts for whatever reason. That was until one of the lieutenants vanished and didn’t come back. High rank Apple warriors were seldom seen outside of their towers or patrol routes.

Her brother’s worry didn’t help her, refusing to send patrols to look for the disappearing ponies. Truth be told, though, he had a point. They couldn’t afford sending soldiers who may not return for the same reason as the others. Applejack hated feeling so helpless. Though she’d learned to be humble and accept help, her pride made it difficult for her to ask for it.

“Brother, how are we s’pposed to keep this wall if we have fewer soldiers every time we wake up?” Applejack grunted as she approached him.

“Dunno, but for now the situation is sustainable. We lack several soldiers, but we still fulfill the minimum. Ah hope the other clans bring us some good news.”

“Any news from them?”

“Not much. Ahm sure they’re also working on it. We only know that some Imperial Guards have disappeared too.”

“Consarnit!” she spat as she pounded the ground. “What are we gonna do if this doesn’t end?”

“Who knows,” Big Macintosh admitted, lowering his head. “Ah guess we’ll have to send some soldiers to take the Imperial Guards’ place until we find the others… If they’re still alive, that is.”

“Says the pessimistic pony,” Applejack stepped back at her brother’s reply.

He shook his head, looking at the horizon. “Yer right, sis. I’d like to know what took the soldiers away so I could know how to act. Until then, we have to stand with what we have left.”

-o-

A few more weeks passed, the clans desperately tried to find out what was causing the abductions, but most efforts turned up nothing. Even more troublesome, the Imperial Guard had disappeared almost completely, only a few soldiers remained. Some clans were having better luck than others. The Rainbow and Wilderness clans were those that had suffered the least losses. On the other hoof, the Apple had lost hundreds of soldiers and summoners, leaving Applejack and Big Macintosh trying desperately to keep the Diamond Bulwark protected enough. Rumors of an attack from the Everfree Forest were spreading like gunpowder and even older, formerly retired soldiers stepped forward and took the abducted warriors’ places. As one of the veterans said, ‘desperate times require desperate measures.’

In the Imperial Palace’s throne room, Celestia and Luna were giving the finishing touches to the scrolls they planned to send to the clan leaders and their representatives. They looked at each other, noticing the mutual worry both felt at that moment.

“I hope the clan leaders are free of whatever it’s abducting our ponies,” mourned Celestia while giving the finishing touches to the letter.

“We art sure about it, sister, worry not,” Luna replied with a smile. “Art thou sure about asking them to bring representatives too?”

“I know we usually have only the clan leaders, but now we need all the help and points of view we can get.”

“Of course you do, my dear Celestia,” interrupted a voice.

Celestia frowned in disgust, refusing to look up. “Discord, what are you doing here?”

The Dark Lord was lying in mid-air, using his tail to play with her mane. The Empress smacked it away, which made him giggle playfully.

“Oh, you’re no fun anymore. Shall we play a game of cards?”

“You’ve gone too far, Discord! You’re not allowed to interact directly with mortals!”

“And what makes you think that I am the responsible for all these abductions, hmm?”

Knowing that he had point, for there was no evidence that pointed at him as the kidnapper, Celestia grunted.

“Oh, come on, Celestia, cheer up, you’ll live longer and better.”

“You’re taking my subjects away, be it you or one of your minions! What makes you think I should cheer up?”

“Now, now, my sweet Celestia, you already know why I’m doing this.” He crossed his arms around his back and started walking around the two empresses. “Our game is not over yet, you know.”

“The Thunders defeated the Lying Nightmare and freed my sister!”

“True, and I congratulate your late soldiers for that. Yet,” he added while raising a talon, “our game is far from over.”

“He is right, sister,” Luna admitted with a lowered head.

“We both had our sides chosen in this war. My pieces are the forces of the Realm of Chaos. And what did you choose against me, hmm?” Discord got close to both alicorns.

Luna let out a long sigh before answering. “All the souls of Equestria.”

“Exactly, all the souls of Equestria! Woo, I love that head of yours, Luna, what a memory! Now that we’ve settled this again, I can give you my word that I am not directly responsible for what’s happening now. Believe me, I have so many things to work on, it’s crazy back there.”

“Not directly, but—” Celestia tried to say.

“Nah ah, no buts, my dear,” interrupted Discord playfully. “If it’s not an action directly against you and your Empire, I can do what I want, and you know it. It was you who refused to act in any way against me, which I consider a little unfair and boring, but it’s your choice. Anyway, I just wanted to hang around for a bit. I see you’re quite busy, so I’ll let you finish. Arrivederci!”

With that being said, Discord vanished in a blast of light. Celestia lowered her head, biting her lip while Luna rolled up the scrolls and set them in different saddlebags.

“Don’t feel bad, sister,” Luna said in a comforting voice, caressing her sister’s mane with her hoof.

“I’m sorry, Luna, but I want to be left alone for a moment.” She looked up and showed a tired smile. “Be a dear and take care of the messages, will you?”

“Tia...”

“I’ll be fine, sister.”

“Thou don’t have to feel bad. We stepped against Discord to avoid the horrible things that would’ve awaited the ponies if he had reigned over them. We—”

“Not now, Luna,” she replied without looking back. “Please, not now.”

Celestia left her sister alone to finish the task She needed some loneliness for now, for memories of centuries fighting that war had overwhelmed her. Every casualty, every death caused by the creatures of the Everfree Forest, every soldier or summoner lost to the Taint felt like a thorn in her heart. Unfortunately for her, there was almost no room left for more, and she didn’t know how longer she would be able to stand it.

-o-

Spike stood guard in front of the library in the Lore Clan’s castle where Twilight was doing research about the vanishing ponies. However, the young dragon’s mind was elsewhere. He was donned in his new Inquisitor armor, designed by Rarity herself. Several jewels decorated some parts of it, and she had explained to him how to trigger the spells the summoners had channeled inside them. The spear he wielded was also designed for him by his beloved, a richly ornate long shaft with a crystal blade. It had an inscription that Spike read when they gave it to him: Spike, Lore Inquisitor.

Even after the promotion, he still held his duties as a bodyguard. He had been overwhelmed with praises from all the clan members. Spike’s efforts and actions back at the wall had gained him a reputation among the soldiers, his fame spreading among the Rainbow and Apple clans. He even wondered if the time had come to ask Rarity’s hoof in marriage, considering he was surely worthy now as a hero and respected warrior, not just a bodyguard.

Spike’s thoughts were interrupted as the sound of hooves against marble resounded through the hall. He looked to his right and noticed a pegasus galloping towards him. The pony was breathing heavily, as if he had traveled a really long distance or was in a big hurry. Spike noticed that the messenger bore the colors and symbol of the Imperial Guards.

“Greetings, sir,” Spike said, saluting the newcomer.

“Hail, Captain Spike,” the messenger replied, trying to avoid sounding tired. He took a scroll from his saddlebag and offered it to the dragon.

“A decree?” Spike asked when he noticed the Imperial seal.

“It’s a request from the Empresses,” announced the messenger, now recovered from the trip. “Celestia and Luna require the presence of all the clan leaders and their greatest representatives in order to solve the crisis the Empire is going through right now.”

“Yes, I think I know what you’re talking about,” Spike added, looking back at the door he was guarding. “Twilight— I mean, the Lore Leader has spent more time than most ponies would consider healthy in there trying to find a solution, but no results for now.”

“Maybe some brainstorming with the other clans would help her.”

“I’ll go with her. I hope there’s no problem with that.”

“Absolutely not,” he replied with a bow. “In fact, it would be a good idea for you to go with her.”

“What do you mean?”

He looked at both sides of the hall, getting close to him and speaking in a lower voice. “Remember Trixie’s incident?”

Spike frowned, clutching the spear with his fist and nodding weakly. “What about it?”

“A lot of ponies are going to look down upon Twilight because of that. They’ll consider it a failure, and some may use that in order to get the other clans’ support in all of this.”

“And you think that I should go because—”

“You were instrumental in the victory back at the wall,” the messenger said, finishing Spike’s sentence. “You’ll scare away some of those if you’re next to her.”

“Why are you telling me this anyways?”

“Remember, Captain Spike, that my duty as an Imperial Guard is to protect the Empresses. I follow their orders and know that Trixie’s behavior was worthy of the punishment. However, you also know that they may also consider that Twilight is just as Trixie.”

“Nonsense!” Spike shouted, hitting the ground with the butt of his spear. “I shall—”

“Control yourself, Captain Spike,” the messenger suggested, raising a hoof. “I understand your anger, and I even share some of it. Trust me when I tell you that insubordination and cowardice are more common among young samurai, and their masters usually get stained with their students’ failures.”

Spike leaned on the door, massaging his face with his free hand, trying to soothe himself. “No way to avoid it, I guess.”

“The Empresses will be present, and Celestia and Luna trust Twilight. Her duty with the Empire goes further than any other pony’s. However, I’m sure that they won’t be the only defenders she’ll have. I’m sure that everything should be fine.”

“Let’s hope so,” Spike replied as he let out a tired sigh.

The messenger nodded and saluted to Spike, who saluted back. “I shall return to the Palace. I’ll see you there.” Having said that, the pegasus galloped away from the hall, the hoofbeats getting lost in the distance until it couldn’t be heard anymore. Spike let out a long sigh before knocking on the door.

“Come in,” said Twilight from the inside.

He opened the door, bowing as he entered the library. He looked up and saw Twilight sitting at a long table covered in scrolls. She put down the one she was reading and rested her head on her hooves.

“Twilight, a messenger gave me this letter,” Spike announce, getting closer to her. “We have a meeting with the other clans to find out a way to solve the disappearances.” He got to the table and offered the scroll to her.

“I’m not sure if I should go,” she responded softly, magically taking the scroll but refusing to meet his eyes. “I know my friends don’t blame me, but I’m not comfortable with the idea of making public appearances for a while.”

“We have to go,” he insisted. “Besides, you know the Empresses trust you. That should be enough for you to feel a little less nervous. Your labor is indisputable.”

“But the others—”

“Twilight, please, thoughen up a bit. You study Maho, for Pete’s sake!”

“But that’s not the same!” she shouted. “And why do you mention that, anyway?!”

“You study Maho, something that most ponies look down upon. However, that doesn’t stop you from doing it, because there’s nothing wrong on sacrificing personal honor it thousands of lives can be saved. You taught me that.”

Twilight nodded, but still refused to look him in the eyes. “But this is a completely different matter.”

“Maybe, but you’ve never considered honor above duty before.”

“Isolation is the key, Spike,” Twilight confessed. “I hardly ever make public appearances. Only the Empresses, my clan’s members and the other clan leaders interact with me. Most of my duties are kept secret, that’s why there’s nopony pointing at me or anything.”

"I know, Twilight," comforted Spike. "I've served you for years, and I know about your burden. The Empresses are aware of that, as it's our clan's duty since the Dawn of the Empire. Celestia and Luna won't tolerate anypony to judge you for that."

“Really?” asked Twilight, looking up in order to see Spike’s face.

“Totally. And your friends will surely protect you too. You’re the Lore Clan leader, nopony in their right mind would try to challenge you.”

Twilight put her hooves on the table, and pushed herself back, getting up from the chair. She walked slowly towards the bodyguard, smiling weakly.

“Thank you, Spike.”

“No need to tank me, Twilight,” he said with a humble smile. "I really mean it."

Both giggled for a moment. The young dragon was happy to make her laugh. When they regained their composure, he opened the door and motioned for her to exit before him.

-o-

Pipsqueak sat beside the roaring fireplace in the shrine, watching Lyra in awe. He wondered how his master was able to stay so still despite standing on her hind legs. He marveled as she thrust her front hooves in and out of the flame faster than he could track, her eyes never opening, her focus never wavering. He had witnessed previous outstanding physical feats, but it never ceased to impress him the power a monk such as Lyra wielded.

“Lyra! Where are you!?” cried BonBon’s voice from outside the shrine.

“Huh? What d— ouch!” cried Lyra as she jumped back and started blowing on her front hoof.

Pipsqueak had to cover his mouth to avoid laughing. BonBon’s hoof falls became louder as she approached, galloping towards the shrine.

“Thank Celestia I found you!” said BonBon. “I’ve received an important message from the Imperial Palace! Pinkie, you and I have to go to a meeting.” She paused when she noticed that Lyra had magically pulled a bucket of water over and was holding her hoof in it. “What happened to you?”

“Your crazy screams broke my concentration while practicing,” Lyra responded with a smirk. “But I’ve had it worse. Why the three of us, anyways?”

“"We've just received a letter from the Princesses requesting a meeting with all the Clan Leaders. It must be about the hundreds of disappearances. I’m sure the Apple Clan will want to send soldiers to replace the missing Imperial Guards, but I think we should contribute too to ease the burden.”

Lyra nodded. “I’m sure we could spare some troops. Let’s go see Pinkie Pie.”

The couple trotted to the main hall, followed closely by Pipsqueak. Lyra pushed the door slowly and checked to see if Pinkie was inside. For a few moments, the unicorn stood there, with her mouth and eyes wide open.

BonBon stepped forward and pushed her softly, but there was no reaction. Frustrated, she pushed her way inside the room and, as soon as she looked inside, reacted the same way as her beloved.

Pinkie Pie was training with her trademark meteor hammer, a breathtaking and awe-inspiring show. The Party Clan leader had her waist wrapped with the chain, the two large metal weights engulfed in colourful flames, dancing with deadly speed around her as she twisted her body in a frenzied dance. One of the metal ends was shaped like a balloon, and it was covered in pink flames, while the other one, resembling the head of an alligator, was engulfed in green fire.

Both ends flew around Pinkie, her twists and turns giving the weapon inertia and speed, making the flames leave a fiery trail as they moved. When they were moving fast enough, the monk aimed at one of the huge clay vases and released the balloon-shaped weight, destroying if with a deafening sound. She then drew an arc with both ends and smashed a pond next to her, extinguishing the flames.

Breathing heavily, she turned around and saw the three ponies motionless, petrified after witnessing her training.“Hi! Didn’t see you there,” Pinkie said with a broad yet tired smile.

“I’ve been her apprentice for years now,” Lyra whispered to BonBon. “But I’m still not used to seeing her training with that.”

“Uhm, Pinkie,” Pipsqueak said from behind the two mares. “What is that?”

“You mean this?” she replied, getting the weapon out of the water. “This is a fire meteor, a special type of meteor hammer. I know it’s kind of weird, but I think it fits me!”

“Seeing what you just did, I won’t say the opposite within striking range.”

“I guess it’s called ‘fire meteor’ because of the flames it had,” BonBon added. “But where do they come from?”

“Oooh, that’s easy!” Pinkie grabbed the balloon-shaped with both hooves and twisted it, revealing small holes.

“Hollow?” Lyra noticed.

“Yup, you put oil inside with some cute powders to give the flames color. The oil also helps to give more inertia, so it’s awesome anyways. By the way, why did you want to see me?”

“Oh, right! I totally forgot,” confessed BonBon before clearing her throat. “We’ve received a letter from the Imperial Palace, they want us to go for a meeting concerning the disappearances.”

“Oki doki loki!” Pinkie said with a nod while hanging her weapon on the wall. “We better get going, I don’t wanna be late! We’ll go to see what we can do to contribute! Pipsqueak!” She pointed at the young stallion. “While we’re out, fill the weights with oil. I’ll put the powders when we return.”

“Yes, Pinkie,” he replied with a bow. “I’ll keep training during your absence.”

“Great! See ya!”

The three mares trotted out of the shrine while Pipsqueak walked to one of the windows. The Sun was setting already and the birds’ songs traveled through the wind, giving a peaceful feeling to anyone in the surroundings. He moved inside the temple and grabbed Pinkie’s weapon, searching for the oil containers. While looking for them, a female voice from outside called him. He left what he was doing and looked outside again, noticing a light among the slight shadows of the dusk, getting out of the building to investigate. The light moved towards him at the same time as he approached it, and soon it became clear that the light came from the fiery mane of a dark mare, who looked at Pipsqueak with lustful eyes.

“My, my, what a handsome young stallion we have here,” the mare said, getting closer to him and showing an inquisitive smile. “I’ve been searching for such a virile pony to take me to paradise.”

“Uh, wow, thanks for the compliment, really,” Pipsqueak replied, scratching the back of his head with a visible blush. “But I’m afraid I can’t be the one you’re looking for.”

“And why exactly is-” The mare stood still, looking at the young stallion, her face changing dramatically to a sorrowful visage and her eyes becoming watered almost instantly. Stepping back, she shook her head as Pipsqueak tried to get close to her. “No!” she yelled. “Get away from me!”

“What’s wrong? Do you need any help?”

“Get away from me, I beg you! You’re not who I’m looking for. I have to go!” The mare backed away, panic in her eyes. She turned around and fled as fast as she could, vanishing among the trees.

Pipsqueak stood there for a while before shaking his head weakly with a sad sigh and returning to the shrine.