• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,041 Views, 54 Comments

Ponies of the Five Rings - Simon_oSullivan



Legend of the Five Rings: Equestria Edition

  • ...
4
 54
 2,041

Chapter 5: Old Enemies. Part 1

Chapter V: Old Enemies

The young contestants were informed that they should go to their rooms to spend the night. However, due to the lack of peers among most clans, some of them decided to hang around together until they had to go to rest. On the other side, some of them went for a walk, not wanting to head inside for now. The moon was an ornate jewel, showing an indescribable beauty in the ebony sky. The perfect setting for those in love, but a sorry one for those who longed for it.

Once they split from the group, Pipsqueak and Dinky went to the Imperial Gardens and sat together on one of the benches. Both stared at the huge moon and the thousands of stars that crowned the sky and felt the soft breeze waving their manes.

“Pip,” said Dinky, breaking the ice. She moved closer to him and wrapped her forelegs around him. “Has anypony ever told you how dashing your eyes look under the moonlight?”

Pipsqueak looked back at her, a gentle smile drawn on her face. “Actually, no.”

Dinky raised an eyebrow, snorting softly. “Not the most romantic stallion, are you?”

“What do you expect, sweetie? It’s not like my training involves poetry and seduction.”

“Luckily for me, who knows who you would’ve ended up with if you weren’t so shy.” She laughed at her own comment.

“Heh, I guess. But it’s not like I’d prefer any other mare in my life.”

Dinky blushed slightly at his comment, staring at his eyes. “Well, well, looks like you can be romantic after all.” Leaning forward, she kissed his forehead before resting her head on his shoulder. After a few seconds of silence with Pipsqueak caressing her mane and Dinky drawing circles with the tip of her hoof on his chest, she spoke again. “Have you ever thought about how lucky we are?”

“About what?”

“Being together.”

“That’s what I just said, didn’t I?”

Dinky giggled, tapping Pipsqueak’s chest gently. “I don’t mean that, silly.” She got up and gazed at the Moon when Pipsqueak got closer to her, to which she smiled broadly. “I mean that… We got to choose to be together. Ponies seldom have that privilege.”

“I don’t know a lot about life outside of the shrine. I thought everypony was like us.”

Dinky shook her head. “Marriage is a political tool, Pip. They’re used to strengthen relationships and form alliances among the clans. If you’re important, you’ll marry an important pony. That’s how it usually works.”

“But wait, that means that you, being the daughter of the Rainbow Clan’s spymaster, should’ve been arranged to be married to a more influential pony.”

“And you’d be right, if not for one small detail.”

Pipsqueak lifted an eyebrow, curious. “And that is?”

“My mom plain refused to.”

“Can she do that?” Pipsqueak leaned back hastily. “I mean, it’s not that I’m complaining or anything, it’s just that–”

Dinky burst into laugh, tapping his shoulder. “Pip, I just love when you think you’ve said something wrong and try to apologize. It’s okay, I know that you didn’t mean it in a bad way.” She leaned forward, grabbing Pipsqueak’s cheeks and kissing his lips gently. ”Now calm down, sweetie.”

”Okay, I’ll try,“ he replied, showing a weak, growing smile.

She leaned her head on his shoulder and Pipsqueak passed his left front leg over her. “As I was saying, my mom refused to arrange a marriage for me. She swore that if the Rainbow Clan refused to let me marry whoever I wanted, she’d abandon the Rainbow Clan and swear fealty to the one who’d accept that condition.”

Pipsqueak raised an eyebrow, turning to Dinky. “That sounds like political suicide if you ask me.”

“Oh, it would’ve been, if she had been a courtier. And she might be the most wonderful mum in Equestria, but she’s also the best at what she does. Knowledge is power, and there’s little in the Empire that she doesn’t know about.”

“So, she’s a very influential pony.”

Dinky nodded profusely. “She has power among the Rainbow, being one of Rainbow Dash’s advisors. She’s also an intimate friend of Twilight Sparkle, but that’s partly thanks to me being a void summoner under the Lore Leader’s tutelage. Just for that, she has enough reasons to be nearly untouchable politically speaking.”

“Remind me not to upset your mum when we get married,” Pipsqueak joked.

Both ponies laughed in the silence of the night. Dinky released herself from Pipsqueak’s hug, staring at the floor with sad eyes. “There’s another reason why she struggles so hard for me.”

Pipsqueak’s smile faded as Dinky spoke those words. “Your father’s demise,” he said with a sorrowful voice.

Dinky dipped her head and looked longingly at him. “I’m the only thing she has left after he died. She wants me to be happy. She knows that arranged marriages seldom are, so she refused every single one that was offered.”

Pipsqueak looked at the sky once more with a weak smile.“I’m in debt with your father too, now that I think about it.”

Dinky looked at him, astonished. “But you never knew him, how could you be in debt with him?”

“We’re together because of him.” Pipsqueak’s smile broadened, his hoof reaching up to gently caress Dinky’s mane. “I remember a young filly that came all the way to the Party shrine on her own.”

Dinky grinned widely at his words. “You… you remember. After all these years you still remember it!”

He snorted softly. “How could I forget it? I was still a lesser apprentice. I was carrying some buckets of water to the well when I heard you crying as you prayed for your father.”

“And you sat next to me and prayed for him too,” she continued.

Pipsqueak nodded in remembrance. “Then we talked for a long time until you felt better. After that, you returned home.”

“And I went back to the shrine every month to pray for my father’s soul. You were always there.”

“If I’m not mistaken, you were already studying under Twilight’s wing.”

Dinky nodded. “That’s why I could only go once a month. But it was worth it. Then, after a whole year of visits—”

“Dinky, please,” replied Pipsqueak, blushing violently and turning his head away from her.

Dinky giggled, hugging his foreleg tightly. “But that was the sweetest thing anypony has done for me! I was praying for my father and you came with a small bouquet of flowers and gave it to me. I thought they were for the shrine, and when I was about to offer them, you stopped me and stuttered that they were for me.” Dinky hugged herself with a broad smile. “I was so shocked and caught off-guard that I accidentally dropped it!”

Pipsqueak was completely red at that moment, smiling nervously. “Y-yeah, I remember the face you had at the moment. T-then you pounced towards me and we kissed. And wow, what a kiss!”

“Yes, I think it was something like this,” said Dinky with a brazen smile. She then threw her forelegs around his neck and kissed him passionately. Pipsqueak lost all his shyness and hugged her tightly and kissed her back.

-o-

Hiding among some bushes at the Imperial Gardens, Silver Spoon witnessed the scene with sorrowful eyes. Behind her, unnoticed, was Sweetie Belle.

“Silver Spoon?” she whispered.

With a gasp, Silver Spoon turned around to meet her, sighing in relief. “Sorry, I thought you were another pony. What are you doing here?”

“One of the guards told me to warn the rest of contestants that tomorrow’s going to be a tough day, and we should…” She lifted an eyebrow when Silver Spoon swept the tears from her face. “What’s wrong?”

“I-it’s nothing. We better get going.” She began to trot away, but Sweetie Belle blocked her path. Silver Spoon tried to dodge around her, but Sweetie refused to let her pass. “Please, Sweetie Belle, let me leave. I don’t want to be here.”

Sweetie Belle put a hoof on her shoulder, soothing her slightly. “We’re peers, Silver Spoon. Our family and clan come first.”

Silver Spoon smiled weakly. “After how Tiara and I treated you and your friends, I’m surprised you’re so gentle with me.”

Sweetie Belle snorted softly. “Foals will always be foals, Swordmistress. You showed me that you’re a much better pony than your younger self at the end of this day. I wish I could say the same about Tiara.”

“Yeah…” Silver Spoon looked back at the bushes behind which she had been hiding. “Come over here, Sweetie Belle. I’ll show you something.”

Both mares walked to the previous spot. Silver Spoon moved the branches gently, looking for Pipsqueak and Dinky. They watched as the couple got up and walked away towards the Palace.

“There,” said Silver Spoon, pointed at them.

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow. “Were you stalking them?”

Silver Spoon’s eyes widened at her comment. “What? No! It’s not that, it’s just… Ah, forget it!”

“What? Come on, tell me what’s wrong.”

With a huff, Silver Spoon turned back to look at the couple. “Look at them. They’re so lucky. They chose their own path, nopony questioned them. They love each other and are together.”

“I see what you mean.” Sweetie Belle let out a long sigh. “Rarity has arranged a marriage for me with Chancellor Soarin’.”

“But he’s twice your age!”

“So? I’m the Jewel Leader’s sister, so I must marry an equally important pony. One of the available options was Chancellor Soarin’.”

“Why him?”

Sweetie Belle shrugged. “Apparently, Rainbow Dash rests the political burden of the political stuff over her advisors’ shoulders. One of the ways of getting a strong alliance and control of her clan’s strategies and whatnot is to get access to one of those advisors. That’s why I’ll marry Soarin’.”

“At least you’re going to marry.”

Sweetie Belle looked at Silver Spoon, confused. “What do you mean with that? Don’t you have suitors?”

“Not even one. I’m quite… feared among my peers. Besides, I’ll surely live the rest of my life as a prestigious pony’s bodyguard or the like.”

“They fear you?”

Silver Spoon nodded tersely. “My skill with the sword is far too well known; at least, that’s what Silverspeed states. Nopony dares to talk to me for fear of saying something that ends up in a challenge. I guess that includes proposals.”

“Because they think you may challenge those unworthy of asking your hoof in marriage?”

“Seems so.”

Sweetie Belle tapped her chin, looking contemplatively at the sky. “Are there any exceptions?”

Silver Spoon shook her head for a moment, then stopped suddenly. “Well, Snails used to try to speak to me whenever we met. I hadn’t thought about those moments until today, though..”

“Until today?” Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened. “Oh, right! He saved you from falling.”

“Drat, how mean I’ve been to him since we were foals, and he still did that.”

“He was quite bad at feigning lack of interest in you.”

Silver Spoon snorted softly. “Yeah, I don’t blame him, though.”

Sweetie Belle smirked, holding her laugh. “There goes your modesty.”

However, Spoon became serious again. “I don’t know how I should feel about this.”

“Give yourself some time. You don’t need to start something you’re not sure about.”

“Even if I was, Silverspeed wouldn’t allow it. I am the Swordmistress of the Swift Strike Dojo, while Snails is… nothing. We wouldn’t be allowed to marry.”

“And if he became worthy?”

“Whoa, whoa, hold your horses there, Sweetie Belle!” Silver Spoon reared back in surprise. “You’re going too fast. You’re acting like I’m already in love with him!”

“I didn’t say that, Silver Spoon. I just said that maybe the Celestial Tournament is what he needs to prove his worth and become an acceptable suitor for you. But that reaction of yours…” Sweetie Belle smiled slightly and inclined her head. “Are you in love with him?”

“No! Well… I mean… Argg! I don’t know!” She paced back and forth. “I have to clear my thoughts and feelings.”

“You’re just thankful for what he did. That doesn’t mean you’re in love with him. You should take some time to think about it.”

“Yes, that must be what’s going on.” Silver Spoon stopped pacing, letting out a long sigh. “I don’t want to be what Tiara said.”

Sweetie Belle moved over to Silver Spoon, hugging her. “You are not that kind of mare, Silver Spoon.”

She hugged back, resting her head on Sweetie’s shoulder. “You don’t have any idea of how much I needed something like this.”

“Why do you say that?”

Silver Spoon broke the hug and moved away from her. “You know that, as samurais, we must show strength and respectability. Signs of weakness are something that we can’t afford.”

“A samurai’s ‘face’ as they call it.”

Silver Spoon nodded weakly. “I want to make a deal with you, Sweetie Belle.”

She lifted an eyebrow. “About what?”

Silver Spoon stepped forward with pleading eyes. “Help me to find a suitor.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened in shock. “What? Me?”

“Please…”

After a moment of silence, Sweetie sighed and bowed her head in agreement. “I’ll do my best. But you said a deal, so there must be something in it for me.”

“I can help you so you don’t have to marry Soarin’.”

Sweetie Belle stepped back, surprised at her words. “Can you do that?!”

“I’m trained both in the ways of the word and the sword. I’m sure there’s something I can do. Maybe if you have a friend among the high spheres of another clan, you may be able to avoid getting married, for you’ll have a link to another clan.”

“But Scootaloo and Apple Bloom are my friends! They’re Rainbow Dash’s student and the Apple Leader’s younger sister, respectively! If that’s not enough for her, what would it be?”

“Yeah, now that you think about it, it’s quite hard to surpass that.”

“Now that you mention it, Silver Spoon…” Sweetie Belle looked at her with wondering eyes. “Why do you want to get married?”

“Oh, that…” She looked down, lightly caressing her belly with her hoof. “I felt the urge a few months ago.”

“The urge of…” Sweetie Belle looked at her with confused eyes, but gasped and smiled broadly after a few seconds. “Oooh I get it! That’s so sweet, Silver Spoon!”

Silver Spoon flushed and looked down. “I want to become a mother, and have a foal to teach him everything I know. I still need a husband so I can bear the foal, but the urge is still there.” She smiled, turning back to her friend. “Haven’t you felt it? The desire of having a scion of your own?”

“Not that I can think of. I’m more focused on becoming an artist, a singer to be more specific.”

“That sounds great, Sweetie Belle. There are a lot of contests around the Empire, and if you’re good enough, I’m sure that you’ll be able to make a name for yourself.”

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat, looking up at the Moon. “We should be going back to our chambers. Tomorrow’s going to be a tough day.”

“Especially for Tiara if she’s unlucky enough to have to fight Apple Bloom again.”

Both mares giggled as they walked back to the Palace. “Oh, yeah,” replied Sweetie Belle. “Apple Bloom had such a wide smile when she heard both names. I almost felt bad for Tiara.”

“Yeah, me too.”

Sweetie Belle lifted an eyebrow, looking wonderingly at her. “I thought she was your friend.”

“It’s a long story. In a nutshell, we’re still friends, but I just need some time away from her after certain things happen. Don’t know how long this will last, though.”

-o-

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were the only remaining ponies outside the Palace. The last few —Twist, Snails and Snips — had left to sleep around a half hour before. The two friends got to the garden of statues talking about the first day. While discussing the events, they took a seat in front of one of the sculptures representing a former general of the Imperial Guard.

“That was amazing!” Scootaloo cried, extending her wings. “Apple Bloom, you really gave Tiara what she deserved! I wish I could do more stuff like that to ponies that annoy me.”

“You made her fall into a mud pit. Isn’t it enough for you?”

Scootaloo shook her head. “Nuh uh, it’s not the same. You hit her so hard that you lifted her off the ground. It’s like, instead of tricking her into falling, I had grabbed her, flown up and then dove at full speed, throwing her head-first into the mud!”

“Why did you trip her, though?”

“She made you trip and fall, Apple Bloom! What did you expect me to do?”

Apple Bloom looked back at her. “Nothing, Scootaloo. Ahm a grown mare now, and Ah can fight mah own battles.”

“A proud pony, huh?”

“If you wanna mess with Tiara, do it; Ah won’t stop you. However, even though Ah appreciate the gesture, let me handle mah own paybacks.”

“Okay, okay, got it.” Scootaloo let out a long sigh as Apple Bloom stared silently at one of the statues. “Hey, Apple Bloom, you’re not going to stay mad at me for this, are you?”

“Nah, Ahm fine. Ahm just wondering.”

“About what?”

“Ah’ve gathered three points for now, and you got two.” Apple Bloom looked back at Scootaloo. “We have to work hard if we wanna have a chance to pass.”

“Ah, don’t worry about that! Remember what the guards told us? Tomorrow’s first trial is armed combat. That point’s already ours!”

“Ahm not so sure about that.”

“Oh, come on, Apple Bloom!” Scootaloo flapped her wings, rising up to hover in mid-air. “We’re trained warriors!”

“But not the only ones. You got overconfident against Pipsqueak, and look what happened.”

Scootaloo growled, flying forward with her front hooves crossed. “Okay, I trusted my skills a bit too much, but I’m still gonna win the armed combat! I can beat even you at that.”

Apple Bloom smirked, snorting softly. “Ah won’t deny that. You’re fast and accurate, while Ahm slow and predictable, no matter how strong Ah might be. But Pipsqueak or even Dinky could pose a dangerous threat.”

“Dinky?” Scootaloo burst into laugh, landing and leaning her back against one of the statues. “Oh, Apple Bloom, that’s a good one! How can a summoner without martial training pose a threat to us?”

“Because ‘magic’ is considered a weapon, and it’s allowed at the tournament.”

Scootaloo’s broad smile faded at Apple Bloom’s words, her eyes widening in awe. “Oh… so I have to fight a summoner and her magic? That’s a bit unfair, don’t you think?”

“It depends. It’s not like you’re forced to use magic against her. You get to choose your weapon. She gets to use magic, you get to use whatever you want. No bows, though.”

“What? Why?”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes in disbelief. “Do Ah really have to explain why? It’s a contest, not a death match. We’ll use padded weapons to fight, and Imperial summoners cast an aura that weakens magic so it’s not lethal.”

“And you know that because–”

“Mah brother told me. He assists to every single Celestial Tournament.”

“What else did he tell you about the tournament? Any interesting trials?”

Apple Bloom stared at Scootaloo with a curious smile. “It depends on what you consider interesting. How good are you with poetry?”

Scootaloo stood silent and motionless, only blinking for a few seconds before finally speaking. “Really? Poetry?” Before Apple Bloom was able to speak again, Scootaloo shook her head. “No, I don’t want to know. I think I’m going to sleep for today.” She trotted past her friend letting out a huff. “Poetry. Sure, why not!? What are the other trials about? Cooking? Knitting? This is ridiculous!”

Apple Bloom watched as her friend, offended by the fact that poetry was among tomorrow’s trials, walked away.

“Ah don’t have a good feeling about tomorrow,” she said to herself. “Ah guess Ah should go to bed too.”

-o-

The next morning, the contestants trotted their way towards the main hall, just like yesterday. All the representatives from the clans were already waiting for them, as well as the Empresses, Whooves and the Imperial Chancellor.

“The first trial of the second day is armed combat,” announced Chancellor Mare. “The rules are simple. Two contestants will choose one of the padded weapons of their choice when I call them, and will fight against each other until one of the two is defeated. The first fight will be Apple Bloom and…”

The rest of the contestants shrank in fear, looking at Apple Bloom indirectly. With a slow trot, she reached the weapon rack, waiting for the Chancellor to say the second name.

“Snips!”

“Oh, horseapples!” grunted Snips as the other contestants sighed in relief. “Okay, let’s get this over with.”

Apple Bloom grabbed a huge hammer, its shaft as long as an adult pony and a head the size of a cinder block. Snips’ jaw dropped at the sight of her. She stood on her hind legs and rested the enormous weapon on her shoulder.

“Y-you have to be kidding,” stuttered Snips.

“Ah usually prefer axes over hammers,” she replied, looking at the weapon rack. “But they don’t have one here. Pick your weapon.”

Snips took a long look at every weapon available, finally choosing a katana that he lifted with his magic. “I guess I’m ready.”

“Go!” cried the Chancellor.

Apple Bloom grabbed the hammer with her teeth and jumped backwards, barely avoiding a horizontal blow from Snips. She charged with all her might, gathering momentum as she drew an arc that landed on Snips’ side. Even though the weapon was padded, Apple Bloom’s strength threw him a foot away. Snips was able to get up, gritting his teeth with his katana levitating in front of him. Charging a second time, Apple Bloom hit him with her hammer again, making him fall to the ground.

“Yield, Snips,” warned Apple Bloom.

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you? But I won’t surrender!” With that, Snips drew a descendant arc with his sword, which Apple Bloom parried with her hammer’s shaft.

Taking advantage of her position, she turned her head and hit Snips in the head with the shaft a couple of times, causing him to stumble away from her. Pressing her advantage, she tackled him ferociously, knocking him down. His sword flew away, landing several feet away from him. Snips stared at Apple Bloom in shock, who raised the hammer once more.

“Yield, Snips,” warned Apple Bloom again, this time with a more serious tone.

“Never!”

With all the strength of her body, Apple Bloom smashed the ground a few inches away from Snip’s head with the hammer, the thundering sound echoing through the whole Palace. His face turned pale as Apple Bloom’s cold stare met his pleading eyes and shaky lips.

“I-I-I y-yield!”

“Apple Bloom wins the fight!” announced Chancellor Mare.

With a gentle bow, she put both weapons back in the rack and went back to her place. As the summoners healed Snip’s bruises, the Chancellor announced the next fighters.

“Diamond Tiara and Snails!”

“Well, that shouldn’t be a problem,” boasted Tiara, looking at Silver Spoon. “You don’t need to wish me luck this time.”

Snails walked silently past Silver Spoon behind Tiara. She stopped him with her hoof.

“Good luck, Snails,” she whispered.

With a hesitant smile, he nodded gently before trotting back to the weapon rack. Snips walked by him, wishing him good luck with a sad gaze as he returned to the others. Tiara already had a wakizashi in her mouth waiting for him. Tapping his chin for a moment, he lifted a katana with his magic and levitated it to his side.

“You wield a warrior’s weapon despite being a summoner?” mocked Tiara. “How typical of a–”

“Should I remind you General Macintosh’s words?” Snails took a defensive stance, levitating the katana diagonally in front of him.

“He won’t be there forever to protect you.” With those words she charged, drawing a horizontal arc in an attempt to strike his neck. Snails moved quickly and parried the attack, drawing a circle in the air and hitting Tiara on the side before she could dodge out of the way.

“I don’t plan on expecting him to protect me forever.” With a brazen smile, he retook his previous stance.

“You arrogant little prick!”

“Who’s the little one again?” Snails mocked as he stood on his hind legs.

Even though his size surpassed Apple Bloom’s, his build was far from being intimidating. “Is that supposed to scare me?” said Tiara derisively.

“No, but this does!”

Falling onto all four legs again, he charged towards her, only to jump to the left once he was inches in front of her. Tiara’s confusion allowed him to swing his katana and hit her on the neck. The pain made her wakizashi fall from her mouth as she put her hoof on the place he had hit him. She then noticed the padded blade on the other side of her neck, Snails standing in front of her with an expressionless face.

“Underestimating an opponent is the quickest path to an early grave,” warned Snails. “If this was a real fight, you’d be dead.”

The Chancellor raised her hoof. “The winner of this round is–”

“No!” screamed Tiara as she tackled him, knocking him to the ground and snarling at him. “I refuse to lose! Not against you!”

She grabbed the wakizashi again, attacking him frantically. Snails was barely able to parry her attacks.

“I won’t lose against you! You’re nothing! I refuse to admit that you’re better than me! You have no place in the Celestial Order!” She roared an insult with every blow, forcing Snails to back off every time he parried an attack, getting more and more furious with each time Tiara mocked him.

He parried her last attack, getting closer to her, growling between his teeth. “Shut up, Tiara. You know nothing. You have no right to judge me!”

“Keep your stinking breath in your mouth, will you?” shouted Tiara as she pushed him back, only to charge, drawing a horizontal arc.

He was able to dodge it in time and to land a swift blow that hit her in the cheek, causing her to drop her weapon and fall to her knees. In front of her, Snails had his katana raised, gritting his teeth in frustration and breathing heavily.

“Even if the weapon’s padded,” started Tiara, catching her breath with a sardonic smirk. “You could kill me if you hit me hard enough. Your nature should tell you what to do.”

Snails raised the sword even higher, breathing heavily and staring at Tiara with infuriated eyes. His teeth gritted and his legs trembled, as he continued resisting the urge to bludgeon her to death. The crowd whispered among them, and most Jewel attendants watched in concern and horror, save for Zircon.

“Lady Rarity, we must do something!” pleaded Rich.

“That won’t be necessary, Lord Rich,” said Zircon as he leaned a hoof on his shoulder. “I’ve seen that face among my newest recruits.” He pointed at Snails, who had his eyes closed, still breathing heavily and gritting his teeth, small tears falling down his cheeks. “That’s inner struggle. Usually I see it the other way round. They don’t want to kill, but they must in order to survive. In this case, he wants to, but he knows he mustn’t.”

“If my daughter is defeated, why doesn’t the Chancellor announce Snail’s victory?”

“Your daughter hasn’t yielded and is in condition to fight, and Snails is still wielding his sword. But fear not, my friend, the fight’s already over.”

With a bellowing roar, Snails threw the katana against the weapon rack, covering his face with a hoof and breathing heavily. Once both ponies were unarmed, the Chancellor announced the verdict.

“Snails wins this round.”

“Chancellor,” said Snails. “May I… May I leave the hall for a while? I’m… I’m not feeling well.”

Chancellor Mare looked at the Empresses, who nodded without a doubt. With a sympathetic smile, she spoke. “You may leave. One of the guards will call you once the next trial begins.”

Snails bowed to the Chancellor before leaving the hall. The rest of the contestants gave him pats on the back and comforting words as he walked past them. When he reached Silver Spoon, he turned his head away from her and galloped off.

“He’s an honorable pony,” stated Apple Bloom. “He’ll become a worthy samurai.”

“You seem quite optimistic for him,” replied Scootaloo.

“He already has four points. Today’s last trial will earn him the point he needs.”

Scootaloo lifted an eyebrow at the statement. Next to them, Sweetie Belle walked over to Silver Spoon.

“He doesn’t want you to see him like that,” whispered Sweetie Belle.

“The samurai’s ‘face’,” replied Silver Spoon. “I wholeheartedly pity him now.”

“As for you, Diamond Tiara…” The Imperial Chancellor stepped forward, forcing Tiara to jump back to avoid being stepped on. “I don’t know what you tried to show today, but I can assure you one thing. If I catch you doing that again, by my power as the Imperial Chancellor, I’ll expel you from the Celestial Tournament and ban you from joining one ever again, even as a guest. Is that clear enough for you?”

Tiara’s face paled, and she nodded nervously. “Y-y-yes, u-understood,” she stuttered.

”Put the weapons back on the rack while I name the next contestants.”

Tiara obeyed hastily as the Chancellor announced the next fighters. “Pipsqueak and Dinky.”

“No!” Pipsqueak cried out in shock, before quickly covering his mouth with his hooves. He glanced around both sides, finally bringing his gaze to the Chancellor, who looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Excuse me?”

Dinky giggled as she got up. “I apologize in the name of my fiancé, Chancellor.”

Her eyes widened. “Oh, so you two are engaged?” Both ponies nodded at the same time. “I understand, but the names are taken randomly. You just got unlucky.”

“Come on, Pip, it won’t be that bad. Besides, the summoners will heal us after the fight.”

With a long sigh, Pipsqueak got up. ”I still don’t like it.”

Both ponies walked to the weapon rack, but neither took any. Pipsqueak stood on his hind legs, taking an offensive stance while Dinky separated her front hooves. She closed her eyes as her horn shone with a purple glow. When a dark aura covered her face, Pipsqueak took a defensive stance, stepping back. The mist moved inside her eyes until there was no sight of it on Dinky’s face. Suddenly, she opened them with a grin. To Pipsqueak’s horror, two black clouds stared at him from his beloved’s face.

“Come here, my love,” invited Dinky, gesturing for him to approach her. “Let the fight begin.”

“What the…” Pipsqueak didn’t move a muscle, keeping the defensive stance at all times. When Dinky stepped forward, he jumped back, trying to keep the distance between them. He took a deep breath. “Okay, here goes nothing.”

With a swift move, he threw a punch at Dinky’s stomach, but she moved away before he could hit her. Having caught him off-guard, she slapped him on the back of his neck.

“Hey!” complained Pipsqueak as Dinky giggled. His anger faded in an instant, smirking slightly. “Not bad, not bad. But you won’t get so lucky again.”

This time he threw a punch to her right cheek, which she dodged by taking a step back. Pipsqueak smiled though, as he took advantage of his new position and tried to hit her in the forehead with the elbow. However, she avoided the attack by sitting down, her horn shining intensely.

Pipsqueak’s eyes widened. “How did you know–“

Dinky pushed him with her hooves, creating a gust of wind that lifted him several feet up, landing on his back with a loud thud. He grunted in pain as he leaned on his four legs to get up.

“Okay… got lucky twice,” huffed Pipsqueak. “No more Mister Nice Coltfriend. Try to dodge this!”

He pounced towards her, but Dinky dodged him, missing for a few inches. However, once his front hooves touched the ground, he bent his hind legs and lashed out at her. With a quick hop to the side, she avoided the attack with a giggle. Pipsqueak pounded the floor in a fit of rage, throwing a flurry of blows at her. The crowd gasped in awe at the fight. Not only was Dinky dodging every single attack, but she was also able to counter him, striking in the cheek, stomach and kneecaps.

Breathing heavily in exhaustion, Pipsqueak sat on the ground, perplexed. “I… I don’t get it. It’s… it’s impossible.”

“For a summoner, there are few impossible things, my love,” Dinky replied. Looking up and rising to her hooves, her horn shone brightly, summoning fire spirits around her.

“There has to be something different, there must be.” Pipsqueak jumped up, looking frantically at his surroundings.”
Wait, now that I think of it…” He took a quick glimpse at Dinky’s face and the black clouds on her eyes. “That must be it!”

Dinky giggled, clapping at her coltfriend. “Congratulations, Pip! You finally found out! Yes, my love, this is void magic. A foresight spell, to be more accurate. It allows me to read your mind on the short run to predict what you’re going to do.”

“A cunning strategy, I must say. However, I was expecting you to use something that’s not fire against me.” Pipsqueak closed his eyes, crossing his front hooves in front of him. “You know that I can become impervious to fire.”

“Resistant, not impervious, Pip.”

“Whatever,” said Pipsqueak, opening his eyes.

“That means I can still hurt you.”

“Maybe.” Pipsqueak walked slowly towards Dinky.

With a swift gesture of her hoof, she released a steam jet at him. His mane whipped ferociously and he was momentarily halted, but once the spell ended, he resumed walking.

“Smart pony, my love,” admitted Dinky. “Knowing that the magic damage is reduced by the guards’ aura, even your basic training allows you to become immune to fire.”

Pipsqueak smiled smugly. “See?”

Dinky huffed in frustration. “I forgot how irritating you get while using that technique. It requires so much concentration that you can barely speak while maintaining it.” Her horn shone again, her hooves surrounded by fire that formed dragon claws big enough to capture him. “Now this might hurt you a bit, though.”

Pipsqueak’s jaw dropped and his eyes widened at the sight of her. “What… in Equestria…”

“Lost your focus, sweetie. Dodge!” she cried as she jumped at him.

He barely dodged the claw, rushing away from her. Even though the fight was far from a constant exchange of blows and magic, the crowd cheered at their performance. Pipsqueak stepped back, hitting his head as if he could force himself to think faster.

“Come on, there has to be a way!” he said to himself in a low voice. “She reads my mind, so she knows what I’ll do. What to do… If I could be more unpredictable…” He stood motionless for a second, his eyes shining with a plan. “I got it!”

“No more running away, Pip,” warned Dinky.

Pipsqueak breathed deeply, relaxed. He looked at her with a small smile. “I am a monk. I am one with the elements. A few moments ago, I was fire. Now, to defeat you, I’ll be water.”

Dinky took a defensive stance, putting her fire claws in front of her. “What does that mean?”

“The ebb and flow of a river cannot be predicted.” Speaking those words, he rushed towards Dinky.

She was able to block the first blow with one of her claws, for it was an obvious attack. However, Pipsqueak kept his momentum and stepped to the left. Without time to react, Dinky closed her eyes tight at the incoming blow. To everypony’s surprise’ though, he simply slapped Dinky’s cheeks softly three times.

She stared at him, completely perplexed and blinking in silence. Having lost her focus, her spells wore out. “W-what was that for?”

Pipsqueak smiled broadly. “I got you!”

“W-well, yes, but–”

His smile faded in an instant, and his eyes turned sorrowful. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

Pipsqueak struck the side of her neck with a swift, accurate blow. Dinky’s eyes widened in surprise before closing slowly as she fell on her coltfriend’s front legs. He hugged her tightly before turning to the Chancellor, still holding her.

“She’s fine. She’ll wake up in a couple minutes.” He turned back to Dinky, caressing her mane. “I didn’t want to do this.”

“Pipsqueak wins the fight!”

“And I’m not proud of it,” he whispered as he rested Dinky on his back. Walking on four legs, he got back to their place.

“Twist, Sweetie Belle, to arms!”

Both mares nodded before trotting to the weapon rack.

“Wow, tho many weaponth to choose from,” said Twist.

“I’ll use the wakizashi,” announced Sweetie Belle.

“I don’t know… Oh, I have an idea!” Twist started looking inside on the rack for a specific weapon, but to no avail. “Aww, they don’t have a thang kauw.”

Chancellor Mare blinked in astonishment. “Do you know how to wield a sang kauw?”

“Well, I thaw Lady Fluttershy training with her own. I know it’th not the thame.”

The Chancellor pointed at a coffer behind the weapon rack. “Check inside there. You may find one at the bottom of it.”

Twist opened the chest as the attendants whispered to each other. Inside, she found weapons that almost nopony used regularly. There were spears, polearms and a few peasant tools modified as weapons, such as nunchakus and tonfas. However, deep in the chest, she found a staff and two sang kauws. One looked a lot like Fluttershy’s, a two-headed short spear with a shield in the middle. The other one had a crescent-shaped blade instead. All the staff-like weapons had their shafts modified with special handles, making them easier to wield with hooves.

With a broad smile, she grabbed the crescent-bladed sang kauw, taking it out of the chest. Not being used to standing on her hind legs, nor having wings to keep her balance or avoid falling on her four hooves, she had to lean on her weapon every now and then. Once ready, Twist put the weapon in front of her, the crescent blade pointing at Sweetie Belle. The weight of it made her legs shake and she continued taking small steps back and forth to stay balanced.

Among the Party attendants, Inkie Pie smiled with her hooves crossed in front of her. “This looks promising.”

The other senior monks glared at her, but Pinkie was the one who spoke. “What do you have in mind, sister?”

“You’ll see.”

“Go!” cried the Chancellor.

Twist swung her weapon, trying to hit Sweetie Belle with one of its ends. With a quick side jump, she dodged it, and proceeded to hit one of Twist’s hind legs. It wasn’t a painful attack, but it forced her to lean on the sang kauw to avoid falling. With a grunt, Twist got back up, performing a sweeping strike that didn’t even get close to Sweetie Belle, but allowed her to force her rival to back off.

Sweetie Belle charged a second time, but this time Twist reacted on time, pushing the sang kauw forward, hitting her in the head with the padded crescent blade, followed by another sweeping strike that made Sweetie Belle trip and fall on her side. Stumbling again because of the awkward stance, Twist stepped forward and leaned her weapon on the floor, using the crescent blade to trap Sweetie Belle’s neck. The arc was big enough to allow her to breath, but she wasn’t able to move from there.

With a sorrowful sigh, Sweetie Belle turned her head to the Chancellor. “I yield.”

“Twist wins the round!” announced the Chancellor. She checked her papers, nodding approvingly. “And congratulations, you’ve gathered five points already!”

Inkie Pie nodded, applauding as she smiled broadly. The rest of the crowd followed suit. “Not bad for a novice,” she admitted in a low voice.

Twist got up with a broad smile, releasing Sweetie Belle from the sang kauw. Both mares hugged tightly, patting each other’s backs as the other contestants cheered at them.

“Congratulations, Twist!” said Sweetie Belle.

“Thankth, Thweetie Belle. And good luck to you too!”

“The last contestants will be Scootaloo and Silver Spoon!” announced the Chancellor as Twist and Sweetie Belle returned to their places.

“This seems promising,” said Silver Spoon, walking towards the rack.

Scootaloo stretched her wings and legs with a broad smile. “This will be a quick fight.”

“Indeed,” replied Silver Spoon with a soft snort.

Both mares chose katanas as their weapon of choice. Silver Spoon took the dueling stance, her hoof facing upright under the sword’s hilt and staring at her rival. On the other side, Scootaloo grabbed her weapon with her teeth and took off.

“Tactical advantage, Silver Spoon!” boasted Scootaloo.

“I can’t deny that,” admitted Silver Spoon. “Let’s see if you can put it to good use.”

With a growl, Scootaloo dived towards Silver Spoon in an attempt to overrun her. Silver Spoon stood motionless as Scootaloo charged against her. However, once she got close enough, she unsheathed the blade with her mouth, striking too quickly for Scootaloo to react. Because of the great speed at which she flew, the blow ended up being far mightier than Silver Spoon expected. Scootaloo screamed in pain, dropping her sword and clutching her left foreleg.

“Scootaloo!” cried Silver Spoon, getting close to Scootaloo. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to–”

Amid growls of pain, Scootaloo grabbed her weapon again. “No! This is far from over!” she roared, flapping her wings fiercely to take off.

Silver Spoon retook her stance, sheathing her katana as Scootaloo flew in circles around her at high speed. Spoon followed her rival’s fight with her eyes, staying mostly motionless on her spot. With a swift wing over, Scootaloo dived towards her, Silver Spoon barely avoiding the rush. Flying up again, Scootaloo resumed flying in circles.

“Try to figure out where I’ll strike!” challenged Scootaloo before diving again.

With quick reflexes, Silver Spoon turned to face her, unsheathing her katana to strike her again. This time, though, Scootaloo flew lower, her blade also hitting Silver Spoon on her leg. However, because of her lower flight, Scootaloo’s wing suffered Spoon’s blow. Both mares howled in pain, Scootaloo clenching her wing in mid air, only to crash and roll across the floor. She crashed with the rack, getting buried under all the weapons. On the other side, Silver Spoon clenched her foreleg tightly, seeing a huge bruise in it.

“At least this fight is over,” she whispered between her teeth.

The sound of weapons falling against the floor made her ears perk up as Scootaloo surged from under them. Breathing heavily and with several cuts from the blades that had fallen over her, she walked towards Silver Spoon.

“It’s not over yet, Silver Spoon,” growled Scootaloo, her legs shaking in exhaustion. “In the name of Rainbow Dash, I’ll fight as long as my heart beats.”

Silver Spoon stepped back, speaking with a mixture of concern and fear. “Please, Scootaloo, you aren’t in shape for resuming the fight.”

“That won’t stop me.” Scootaloo flapped her wings, grunting in pain. She shook her head. “I don’t need wings to fight anyway.”

Silver Spoon lowered her head. “As you wish, Scootaloo.”

Both mares stood motionless for a few seconds before Scootaloo charged forward. Silver Spoon didn’t even move from her spot, unsheathing the sword a third time when her rival came close enough. The strike hit Scootaloo on the chest, making her drop the weapon and falling face down on the floor.

Silver Spoon turned at her, keeping the dueling stance. “There’s a thin line separating courage and recklessness, Scootaloo. You have proven to be a worthy opponent. Stop this madness!”

With a grunt, Scootaloo tried to get up again, but her legs wouldn’t allow her. “I… have… to fight…” However, when she finally managed to stand it was only for a second, before her legs buckled, and she sank to her knees, her breathing ragged.

“Scootaloo can’t keep up fighting, Silver Spoon wins the round!” announced Chancellor Mare.

Silver Spoon walked in front of her, Scootaloo staring at her, gritting her teeth. “Are you… going to mock me?”

Scootaloo’s eyes opened widely as Silver Spoon not only shook her head weakly at her statement, but also bowed towards her. “Your persistence and unwillingness to surrender are worth praising, Scootaloo. Just bear in mind that this is a training session, not a real fight.”

From her spot, Scootaloo bowed back with a broken smile as the guards healed both mare’s wounds.

“We’ll rest for a few minutes before starting the next trial!” announced the Chancellor.

Among the contestants, Twist received praises from almost everypony. On the other side, Dinky woke up on Pipsqueak’s front legs. “Pip? Where am I?”

“It’s okay, Dinky.” He pointed at the Rainbow Clan’s seats. “I think your mom will love to know that you’re awake and fine.
Dinky got up, kissing Pipsqueak on the check before waving at her mother, who waved back with both hooves.

“She’s fine!” squeaked Derpy. “I knew that Pipsqueak wouldn’t hurt her too much.”

“What did he do to her?” inquired Spitfire. “It didn’t look that painful to me.”

“I think it has something to do with Wing tactics. Pressure points, they call them.”

Spitfire raised an eyebrow. “You mean that you can defeat somepony just by touching them?”

Derpy shrugged. “In a nutshell, you could say that, yes. However, it’s really complicated, for it requires perfect accuracy, knowledge of where pressure points are and the exact pressure you have to use to succeed.”

“Oh… and I guess that armor makes it hard to access those points, right?”

Derpy nodded. “At least, it would require a far more powerful strike.” She looked back at Rainbow Dash, tapping the floor with her hoof. “Don’t worry, Overlord Dash, I’m sure Scootaloo’ll pass.”

“I’m more worried about other stuff, Derpy,” grunted Rainbow Dash. “She’s far too stubborn. You’ve seen it. She didn’t consider defeat an option.”

“Her tenacity is worth praising, Overlord.”

“I’m not saying I don’t, but she’s taking this competition way too seriously. I fear for what she may end up doing.”

-o-

Among the Wilderness seats, Carrot Top cheered happily.

“Yes, yes, our aspirant passed!” she cried.

“I’m still surprised about Twist choosing a sang kauw to fight.” Fluttershy turned to the Party seats, where Inkie Pie was waving gently and gesturing to her. “Carrot Top, I think one of the monks wants to talk to me.”

Carrot Top turned around to see Inkie’s gesture. “Apparently, she’d like to meet you after today’s trials.”

“Oh, okay. I don’t think it’s about anything bad.”

“Being the senior monk of the Order of Thunderer, I think she might be interested in Twist. I’m sure that our contestant’s performance called her attention.”

-o-

Inkie Pie grinned on her seat. “That was definitely the kind of contest I expected to see here. Strength and determination.”

“I’m glad you liked it, sister!” said Pinkie Pie.

“I’m not sure what to think about Pipsqueak’s performance,” added Lyra, her hooves crossed in front of her. “Dinky didn’t fight that seriously.”

“But Lyra,” complained Bon Bon. “You saw what she did, and Pipsqueak won!”

“Dinky did it on purpose, silly!” giggled Pinkie. “She didn’t want to win the fight. She wanted to teach Pipsqueak how to fight against enemies with supernatural skills! That’s why she used a foresight spell, so Pipsqueak could learn how to counter the strategies.”

“And he did a great job,” admitted Blinkie with an approving nod. “You’ve taught him well, and should feel proud of him. Also, he did his best to not injure her too badly.”

“Yes, I noticed.” With a soft snort, Lyra glared at Pipsqueak with a broad smile. “That’s my colt!”

-o-

“That’s what Ah call a fight, brother!” Applejack nodded, pounding her hooves together with a smile.

“Eeyup, Apple Bloom did a great job there.”

“And that Snails really had the willpower not to smash that pesky Tiara to pieces.”

Big Macintosh snorted softly. “Ah told ya he wasn’t one to be worried about.”

“Yeah, yeah, you were right as usual. Scootaloo had a hard time there, though. But Ah have to admit, the mare has guts.”

“A mighty and fearless warrior, but unaware of her own limits. A worrying combination.”

“Ahm sure that Dash can handle her,” comforted Applejack, resting her hoof on his shoulder.

“Ah hope so.”

-o-

Among the Jewel, the situation was far from pleasant.

“I don’t want to stay here anymore,” confessed Rich in a sour mood. “Lady Rarity, I wish to return to the castle.”

“I understand your pain, Lord Rich,” Rarity said, patting his hoof. “I’ll give her a position where she won’t be able to cause trouble until she learns to behave.”

Rich massaged his forehead with a hoof, taking a deep breath. “Why is it so hard for her to learn that she mustn’t act that way?”

“We’ve all been young, Lord Rich.” Rarity smiled at him tenderly. “It is true that we usually don’t want to remember our previous mishaps once we’re older though.” She became serious once more, turning to the contestants. “Besides, I can assure you that once she becomes a full-fledged samurai, she’ll think twice before insulting anypony. I have the feeling that Silver Spoon won’t support her.”

“That means she’s alone now.”

“She’s not alone, Lord Rich,” stated Zircon. “She’ll learn and become a worthy Jewel. Until then, we can only wait.”

-o-

“She lost on purpose.” Twilight didn’t show a single bit of doubt in her words.

“You mean Dinky?”

She nodded nonchalantly. “She showed Pipsqueak how to fight supernatural enemies, using her magic to emulate certain greater creatures from the Everfree Forest.”

Spike raised an eyebrow with his arms crossed in front of him, tapping his armor with one of his claws. “And you’re against her behavior?”

Twilight smiled tenderly, shaking her head. “Far from it. I won’t lie and say that it didn’t surprise me, but I must say that she overdid herself a bit.”

“Maybe to show Pipsqueak that she’s far from being weak?”

Twilight snorted softly. “Probably.”

“I like how Snails is doing, to be honest, but it saddens me that he may swear fealty to the Party.”

“What makes you think that he will?”

“It’s quite obvious, don’t you think?” Spike pointed at the Party seats with his thumb. “They were the ones who allowed him to participate. Also, I think he wouldn’t feel comfortable here. Trixie’s doings are well known in Lore lands, so his stay with us won’t be any good for him.”

Twilight sighed, nodding weakly. “I know what you mean, Spike. I don’t want him to leave, though. I think he has potential; he just needs a good mentor.”

“Let him go, Twilight. Trust me, it’s for the best.” Spike laid a clawed hand on her shoulder. “Most of the Lore clan consists of summoners and bodyguards, and then we have the Inquisitors and a few courtiers. The Party has much more to offer him. Maybe he’ll be better as a monk or a Twin Blades duelist.”

“You may be right, Spike.” Twilight looked at an Imperial Guard that trotted towards the door, calling for Snails. Both stallions walked back inside the hall. “Only time will tell.”