• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,051 Views, 54 Comments

Ponies of the Five Rings - Simon_oSullivan



Legend of the Five Rings: Equestria Edition

  • ...
4
 54
 2,051

Chapter 5: Old Enemies. Part 2

The Chancellor took a step back to let a few guards walk past her. They handed the contestants scrolls and quills as she explained the trial.

“The seventh trial involves poetry. Each one of you must write a haiku following a prompt that I’ll choose. The five of you who write the most insightful ones will earn a point. Just remember the basic rule about haikus: three lines of five, seven and five syllables.”

Most contestants stood motionless, blinking as they stared in confusion at the Imperial Chancellor.

“So…” started Snips, raising a hoof, “this trial is about writing a poem? What does that have to do with being a samurai?”

“A fair question, youngster,” admitted Chancellor Mare with a nod. “A samurai must learn to use his words correctly if he wants to avoid insulting a fellow samurai. The skill shown when writing a good haiku allows others to see that the author has great control over his own words, just as an ideal samurai should.” She faced the rest of the contestants with a polite smile. “The prompt will be ‘forest’. You may start.”

The contestants started working on their poems at the Chancellor’s signal. Most of them seemed clueless, biting their quills or tapping the floor. One of the most common gestures performed was shaking their hooves as they counted syllables, whispering to themselves. Because of the specific restrictions of the haiku, most of them seemed to have problems with it. Dinky, Sweetie Belle and Silver Spoon were the first ones to finish, followed shortly by the rest.

“Are you all done?” asked the Chancellor, to which every contestant nodded. “Fine, now all of you will come up here when I call you, and you’ll read your haiku. The first one will be Silver Spoon.”

She trotted in front of the Chancellor, holding the scroll in front of her with her hoof. After clearing her throat, she read it out loud: “Memories in you/In your bark, written names/those of the lovers.”

“An interesting approach, Silver Spoon. You barely touched the prompt, but it was a deep poem nevertheless.”

“Thank you, Chancellor Mare.”

Taking the scroll from her and placing it on the table, the Chancellor looked at the rest of contestants. “The next one will be Snips.”

He walked slowly, raising the scroll with his magic, quoting with an exaggerated tone. “Never have I seen/Such wonders in Equestria/Our forests and trees.”

The Chancellor blinked, staring at Snips’ broad smile. “Uh… adequate. I didn’t expect you to love nature that much.”

“It was the first that came to mind.”

“I see. No matter, leave the scroll on the table. Pipsqueak, your turn.”

With a timid trot, he walked up to the Chancellor before staring at the scroll and then at her. “I-I’d rather not do it, Chancellor. Can’t I just give it to you and judge it without having to read it?”

“Why is that, young monk?” She got close to him to whisper in his ear the rest of the question. “Did you write something inappropriate? Something only for your fiancée to read?”

“W-what? N-n-no!” Pipsqueak blushed violently as the contestants behind him snickered. “It’s just that… I’ve been trained as a warrior all my life. I didn’t even know what haikus were until a few minutes ago. Nothing that I’ve written would be worthy, and I don’t want to be a laughingstock.”

“We are not here to mock anypony, Pipsqueak. Besides, you’re here to prove yourselves worthy of being adult samurais.” Chancellor Mare sounded blunt and slightly upset. “You had your chance to refuse the invitation. Now that you’re here, you must prove yourself. Read it, for you’ll have to read more documents in front of much more people.”

With a long sigh, he read the poem, stuttering as he spoke. “C-covered in w-white s-snow/S-still m-magnificent and tall/T-trees are e-eternal.”

Chancellor Mare nodded approvingly at him. “It wasn’t that bad, was it?” Pipsqueak didn’t look at her, his head lowered as he left the scroll on the table before stepping back with the rest of the group. She massaged her forehead as she called the next contestant. “Apple Bloom, please read yours.”

Apple Bloom quoted her haiku with determination, feeling the words in her heart. “The forest on fire/The Beginning of the End/Warriors, to arms!”

Chancellor Mare accepted her scroll with an astonished look. “A haiku written as a battle chant. You truly have the blood of a soldier flowing through your veins.” She pointed at the next contestant. “Twist, you’re next.”

She trotted up happily, unrolling the scroll and reading it out loud. “Critters big and small/The Forest welcomes them all/An Empire of Trees.”

“I can see the influence of the Wilderness there. A wonderful metaphor indeed.” The Chancellor sat at the table, letting out a long, tired sigh. She then called the next contestant. “Snails.”

Raising the scroll with his magic, he read the scroll out loud: “Spirits of the woods/Bless our homes with your presence/purge the evil ones.”

Mare raised an eyebrow at the poem. “I… guess that the metrics is correct, but I’m afraid that it makes little sense. Though I understand what you’re trying to express with it. You’ll need more practice.”

“Yes, Chancellor.” Snails offered the scroll with a defeated look on his face.

“Scootaloo,” the Chancellor called.

“Okay, here goes nothing.” Scootaloo took the scroll, stepped forward and read it. “Among the vast woods/The truth of the inner peace/Be one with the wild.”

“That’s actually pretty good, Scootaloo!”

“It… it is?” she inquired, raising an eyebrow in disbelief.

“Of course! The bounds of civilization have given us a more comfortable life, yet you, as a scout, spend most of the time in the wilderness. That gives you a depth of the world that not everypony has, and you’ve found out that the freedom you enjoy outside can’t be compared with the luxuries of this land.”

“Uh… yeah, right!”

“It’s really a surprise to see a soldier of any kind writing such deep poetry.” The Chancellor invited Scootaloo to leave the scroll on the table. “Dinky, you’ll go next.”

Scootaloo walked back with the rest of the contestants. “Did I actually write about all that?” she whispered to Apple Bloom.

“Ah dunno,” she replied with a shrug. “But seems like yer gonna earn a point on this one, so I wouldn’t complain.”

“Oh, I won’t. I’m just surprised that I was so good at that. Maybe I just got lucky.”

“Mahbe. Let’s listen to Dinky’s.”

Clearing her throat, Dinky unrolled the scroll on front of her with her magic. “Winds through the branches/Whispering secrets to me/Thus the forest speaks.”

The Chancellor became silent for a moment, blinking in astonishment. “I... I’m speechless.” She smiled broadly. “It’s one of the best poems I’ve heard in all my years as a referee at the Celestial Tournament. Where did you get the inspiration for that one?”

“It happened a few months ago, while I was meditating after a training session. Wind started blowing among the cherry trees, and it sounded like… words.” She put the scroll on the table. “I know it sounds weird, but I blame it on being so mentally exhausted after the magic training.”

“It’s still a wonderful piece. Sweetie Belle, will you share yours with us now?”

“As you wish, Chancellor,” replied Sweetie Belle with a bow. “With strong log and bark/resilience of centuries/protecting the grove.”

“Trees as keepers of nature. I like that perspective, youngster. And now the last contestant… Diamond Tiara.” She called her with a stern voice.

She lowered her ears at the Chancellor’s call, walking slowly towards her with the scroll in her mouth. Carefully, she unrolled it with her hoof before reading it. “The silent forest/peaceful as it always is/purifies the soul.”

Mare nodded approvingly. “An interesting poem with wise advice. Good job. I shall now proceed to choose the five haikus that earned this trial’s point.”

The contestants waited patiently for the verdict to happen. Because of the Chancellor’s comments after each reading, some of them had theories about who had the most chances to be selected.

The Chancellor cleared her throat, getting the contestants’ attention. “The ponies whose poems that have been selected as the best are Dinky, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara.” She noted down the new points on the graph, smiling broadly. ”Congratulations, Silver Spoon, you’ve also earned enough points to pass.”

“Thank you, Chancellor,” she replied with a deep bow.

“Now, for the next trial, we’ll test your strategy skills with games of Go.” She raised an eyebrow as Apple Bloom grinned widely, then looked to her right, where the Apple Clan was, staring at Big Macintosh. With a rogueish smile, she turned back the contestants as a soldier brought half a dozen of small boxes. “I have the feeling that we already have a favorite for the Go trial, though.”

“Go?” Scootaloo looked at Apple Bloom, who could barely contain her joy. “Isn’t that the game you’re always telling us about?”

“Yes!” Apple Bloom replied. “Mah brother taught me how to play, and now there’s a trial about it! If Ah win, Ah’ll pass!”

“The winner of each game will earn a point,” said the Chancellor. “The couples who’ll play against each other are: Twist and Pipsqueak; Snails and Silver Spoon.”

“You got lucky there, Silver Spoon,” whispered Sweetie Belle.

“Why do you say that? I don’t want to compete with him!”

“You can let him win. You’ve already passed, and he’s still a bit far from it.”

“I guess you’re right,” admitted Silver Spoon. “But I’m not sure about what to say to him.”

“Well, you can chat while playing, he’ll surely enjoy spending some time with you.”

“Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom,” continued the Chancellor.

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened at the sound of her name and Apple Bloom’s. “Oh, shoot.”

“The general’s sister,” Silver Spoon commented.

“She’s really good at Go. From what she’s told me, her brother taught her how to play when she was a little filly. Last year she got second in the Go Championship that takes place yearly in Apple lands. Big Macintosh was the only one who beat her.”

“Impressive.” Silver Spoon looked at Apple Bloom as she walked to one of the tables. “A mighty warrior and a skilled tactician. An interesting rival.”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “At least it’s not a fighting contest, so I’ll be able to walk away on my own.”

“Snips and Diamond Tiara; Scootaloo and Dinky,” finished the Chancellor. “Start taking your places.”

-o-

Twist and Pipsqueak sat in front of each other, with the Go table between them. It was the traditional flat board consisting of nineteen horizontal and vertical lines. He used the black stones, while she commanded the white ones. Their game flowed slowly, but she got a slight advantage almost from the start.

“Tho, Pipthqueak,” said Twist, “ith it true that you and Dinky are getting married?”

“Y-yeah, that’s right. In a few weeks, with a private ceremony.”

She smiled broadly. “That’s tho thweet!”

Clearing his throat, he quickly asked about a different matter. “How about you? Aside from being a member of the Wilderness, I haven’t heard much about you.”

“There’th not much to thay, really,” admitted Twist, surrounding and conquering another chunk of field with one of her white stones. “I help at the farmth from time to time and thtudy to become a courtier.”

“Drat, I’m awful at this game!”

“If you want, I don’t mind letting you win. I already pathed, tho I don’t mind.”

Pipsqueak snorted softly. “And knowing that I needed somepony’s mercy to become a samurai? Sorry, Twist, I’m far too proud to accept such an offer.” He put a black stone in one of the intersections, recovering a portion of the field Twist had conquered in the last move.

“I’m glad you thaid that. But I’m altho thorry that you did that.”

“What?”

Pipsqueak’s last move had left a greater part of his stones vulnerable. Putting a stone just next to the one he left a mere seconds ago, Twist removed from the game a large amount of stones from her rival. “Thorry, Pipsqueak.”

He grunted as he massaged his forehead intensely. “It’s nothing, let’s just finish this game already.” He stared at the table, looking for a place to put one of his stones, but there were barely any places left, and none of them would allow him to recover what he lost. With a defeated sigh, he put one on one of the upper corners. “This won’t last any longer, luckily.”

-o-

Snails and Silver Spoon had a tied game, with Snails getting a minimal advantage. However, he seemed quite disappointed.

“You’re letting me win, Silver Spoon,” pointed out Snails.

She looked at him, replying with an offended voice. “That’s not true!”

He smiled weakly, shaking his head. “You’ve always been awful at lying.”

“How dare you…” began Silver Spoon before sighing in defeat, looking up to meet his eyes. “How did you notice?”

“I wasn’t sure at first, but then I started leaving some chunks of terrain unprotected on purpose, and you didn’t even touch them.”

She snorted softly. “I thought that you were just an awful player.”

“That may be right too,” he admitted with a small smile, “but I’m not better than you, that’s for sure.”

“Why don’t you want me to let you win? You need to scratch as many points as possible!”

“I only need one more point to pass, it’s not like my performance is that poor. Besides,” he continued as he raised another stone with his magic, “we all must do the best we can. This is one of the most important tournaments in Equestria.”

“Yes, I understand your point.”

“That’s why you shouldn’t let me win. In fact, you should utterly conquer the whole field, and keep on earning points for yourself. That way, your mentor will be proud of you.”

“What about you, Snails?” she inquired.

“What about me? Huh, I don’t know what to say. I have to prove that I’m better than what they think. Which isn’t that complicated, because both Snips and I are regarded poorly.”

“But you’re different from him, Snails.”

He looked at her with a crooked smile. “Maybe.”

“You’re also quite bad at hiding your feelings, big guy.”

Snails’ ears perked up, blushing lightly. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He put a stone in one of the intersections, recovering a small portion for himself.

“Oh, you know what I’m talking about.” She put a stone in one point of Snails’ unprotected territory, recovering a huge portion of the field, smiling at him. “You’re also a horrible liar.”

Snails sighed, putting a stone on the intersection next to the one where Silver Spoon had placed the last one, recovering a part of the terrain. “That’s also true. What do you want to know?”

“Why? That’s what I want to know! Even though I treated you so poorly when we were younger, you didn’t hesitate in saving me!”

“What happened then has no relevance now. As soon as we turn into full-fledged samurais, we’ll focus on serving our lords and our clan. Foal’s stuff doesn’t matter anymore.”

Silver Spoon asked again, with a lower voice. “Does that include your feelings?”

He shook his head after a long sigh. “I... guess not. Why worry about that now, Silver Spoon?”

“To be honest, I can’t be certain.” She put another stone in another unprotected area, conquering even more territory. “I haven’t been able to get you out of my head since the moment you saved me from falling. Everypony’s scared of me for my skill with the sword. But you don’t seem to care about that.”

“Why should I?” Putting a stone in the other corner of the field, he protected one of the sides and took a few of Silver Spoon’s stones with him. “I haven’t given you any reasons to be mad at me. Besides, I might be scared of you, but that doesn’t mean I can’t save you when you’re falling from a fifteen foot tall wall.”

“Snails, please, we’re adults now. I think we can talk about this like such.”

He took a deep breath, lifting another stone and placing it in one of his zones, protecting his territory and taking more of Silver Spoon’s stones for himself. “It’s true, Silver Spoon, though I suspected that it was quite obvious to you.”

“I just… found it hard to believe, that’s all. Or maybe I didn’t want to see it. Do you still—”

“Yes, but as I said, it changes nothing. I should know, it never changed anything in the past, I don’t know why it should do so now.” A sad expression came over Snails, which he hid by rubbing his face with his hooves. “Your turn.”

She became silent, putting the last stone she had available on one of the last chunks of unprotected territory, taking the lead. She looked back at him with a concerned stare. “What if I told you that, after all this time… I’d like to consider giving ourselves a chance? I’ve changed, I promise!”

Snails lifted his last stone, staring directly at the Go table. “You’ve always been like this, Silver Spoon. I should know, I remember you since I was a colt. Deep inside you, even though you usually hung around with Diamond Tiara, you were a fair filly. Your time away from her has only proven that I was right. That mare is a bit of a bad influence, if I may say. Concerning your offer…” He let out a long sigh. “Drat, there’s no place where I can put this to win now.”

“Concerning my offer what?”

“You’re the Swordmistress of the Swift Strike Dojo, while I’m now a pony without a certain future. Just as my position at this Go table, success is not an option.”

Silver Spoon leaned forward discreetly, staring directly at him. “But what if you became worthy?”

He left the stone in one of the available spaces, conquering a large chunk of territory, but not enough to win. “In that case, Silver Spoon, I’ll look for you.” With a sad smile, his eyes met hers. “It’s not like the most important academy of the Jewel Clan is easy to miss.”

-o-

Apple Bloom’s white stones overwhelmed Sweetie Belle’s black ones, her advantage getting more obvious with every passing turn. Sweetie Belle stared at the Go table helplessly.

“I’m happy this is going to be over soon,” confessed Sweetie Belle.

“Sorry, Sweetie Belle.”

“Nah, it’s okay. When I saw those Go tables I already knew that whoever had the bad luck of having to play against you was doomed.”

Apple Bloom snorted softly at her statement. “Yeah, Ah guess yer right. Though Ah feel bad that it had to be you.”

“Just enjoy your victory, my friend. After this, you’ll have earned the five points required to pass.”

“Yeah, and that’s great, but Ah really hope you get more lucky with the last trials.”

Sweetie Belle raised one of the stones with her magic and left it on one of the edges of the field. “Only Courtier and Hunting remain.”

“Ahm pretty sure that the hunting trial will be a point for all of us.”

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow. “Why do you say so?”

“You remember what the trial was about?”

Crossing her hooves in front of her, Sweetie Belle closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them widely. “Oh, yeah! We have to get the egg of a phoenix.”

“That’s right! And it’s the only trial that can be done as a team.”

“That’ll be great! But how do you know that we’ll all work together?”

“I still cannot be certain,” admitted Apple Bloom. “Aside from this trial, the Courtier and the Hunting ones remain left before the sword fighting tournament. Only Silver Spoon, Twist and mahself have gathered enough points to pass, not counting on those who win this one too.“

Sweetie Belle looked at the Go field, mostly conquered by Apple Bloom’s stones. ”Yeah, I guess I can’t win this round. I guess those of us who couldn’t gather enough points will team up together, but what about the rest?”

“Ahm sure Twist will gladly help us all. Being a Wilderness mare, it’s possible that she knows more about phoenixes than any other contestant, and she’s a gentle pony, she won’t deny us her assistance.”

“I hope you’re right, I have little chances left to pass.”

-o-

“Aw, come on, now!” complained Scootaloo, raising her hooves in frustration. “How did you do that? I’ve conquered a huge chunk of field with that last stone! It’s impossible that you’ve already recovered most of it and taken some of my territory!”

Dinky had her remaining black stones levitating in circles around her head. “It’s quite simple. You’re always falling for it.”

Scootaloo grunted, putting one of her white stones in one of the sides of the table, conquering a large chunk of territory. “Ha! Take that, smartypants!”

Dinky snorted softly as one of the stones moved away from the ring floating around her head and landed gently a few intersections to the left, retaking an even larger field.

“Impossible!” roared Scootaloo.

“Possible,” corrected Dinky with a smile. “I’m afraid that you’re quite a predictable player. Your moves are focused on getting the largest amount of territory for yourself.”

“Well, yeah, that’s the point of the game, isn’t it?”

“It is, but this is a strategy game. You need tactics to win. What’s the point of getting a huge chunk of territory for yourself if I can get it back in my next turn?”

“I have to win!”

“So do I, Scootaloo,” said Dinky, crossing her front hooves on her chest. “You’re not the only one who’s doing her best to pass, you know?”

Scootaloo stood silently, staring at the stone in her hoof. “You’re playing tricks on me. You think you know me, but I’ll win this game!”

“You look confident.”

“Oh, I just found out your game.” Scootaloo smiled broadly. “You know that I’m going for the largest ones, so you have them prepared in a way so you can recover them with your next move!”

“You may be right, or you may be wrong. “

Scootaloo’s smile faded instantly, shaking her head in frustration. “Arrg! I hate this game!”

-o-

Diamond Tiara had gotten a slight advantage since the game had begun. On the other side, Snips juggled the black stones with his magic while waiting for her next move, resting his front hooves on the floor.

“Doesn’t look like you’re going to win this either, Snips,” mocked Tiara with a broken smile. “If I’m not mistaken, you’ve only gathered one point so far. What are your chances?”

“Do you always have to be so despicable, Tiara?”

She gasped in horror at his insult. “How dare you talk to me like that, you meatball?”

Snips shrugged. “What? It’s not like you shut up when you have something awful to say about others. Besides you have a reputation to keep. I’m the student of a traitor. It’s not like they have high hopes on me.”

“So you admit that you’re a traitor!”

“I didn’t say anything like that.” He levitated a stone onto the table, flipping a decent portion of field and taking the lead. “But, truth be told, they expect me to fail, while you’re expected to succeed. If I fail, my bad. If you fail, you’d better lock yourself in the deepest room where nopony could find you.”

“And you really think you stand a chance against me?” She laughed arrogantly as she positioned a stone in one of the corners, taking a few pieces for her. “Your delusions of grandeur are really entertaining!”

“Yeah, speaking with spirits can be a bit crazy, but you’re never without interesting conversation. Something that I’m totally missing right now.” With a smirk, he rested the rock in one of the corners, barely gleaning terrain from her.

She groaned, only to smile broadly as she held her last stone. “Ha, so much talk and so few facts to back them! You have no more stones left!” With a victorious and arrogant smirk, she put the piece on the field, recovering enough territory to win the round. “Where’s your arrogance now, Snips?”

He snickered, showing a proud smile. “Just where you saw it a few seconds ago, Tiara.” He raised his left hoof to show a stone hidden under it.

Tiara gasped in horror. “No! You cheated!”

“This is far from cheating, Tiara. The stone was here all along. You just didn’t notice it when I hid it thanks to our… heated argument, if I may call it that.”

Tiara’s jaw dropped, her eyes wide open. “You… you tricked me!”

“But of course! You even forgot that you put the first stone because of the conversation, forgetting that I should’ve been able to play the last move. Trixie may’ve been a horrible mentor, but she taught me something that I’d never forget.”

“And that is?”

“If you’re weaker than your enemy, attack where they’re the most vulnerable,” he quoted as he levitated the stone with a triumphant smile, turning the tides of the game on his favor. “In this case, your focus.”

-o-

Chancellor Mare walked past every table, writing down the results of the trial.

“The winners are Twist, Silver Spoon, Apple Bloom, Dinky and Snips.” She checked the scores again, nodding with a smile. “Congratulations to both Dinky and Apple Bloom. You’ve gathered enough points to pass.”

“Yes!” Dinky cried, waving at her mother. “I did it, mommy!”

On the other side, Apple Bloom saluted towards the Apple box with a broad smile, getting tightly hugged and praised by both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo shortly after.

-o-

Among the Rainbow viewers, Derpy waved fervently to her daughter with the widest grin she could show. “My muffin passed! My muffin passed!” Her wings flapped hastily out of pure joy.

“Congratulations, Derpy!” said Soarin’. “Your daughter has proved her worth during the whole tournament, and she deserves it.”

Spitfire hushed them discreetly, pointing at Rainbow Dash. She stood with her hooves crossed in front of her, grunting every now and then. “Overlord Dash,” started Spitfire, “please, calm down.”

“Three points out of eight trials,” spat Rainbow Dash, sounding both angry and disappointed. “That’s the best my training with her has done?”

“Please, Overlord,” pleaded Soarin’, “bear in mind that she’s been very unlucky with the contestants she had to compete with, even in those trials where she had the most chances to win. She had to fight the Party monk on the bare-hoof fights and the best student of the Swift Strike Dojo in the weapon’s trial.”

Rainbow Dash huffed in resignation. “Yeah, I know that, Soarin’. But there are only two trials left and she must win both of them if she wants to pass.”

“You’re forgetting about the dueling tournament, Overlord.”

“What about it?”

“The dueling tournament of the final day grants two points for each victory. Even if she doesn’t win these two trials, winning a single round of tomorrow’s tournament would allow her to pass.”

Rainbow Dash nodded sourly. “Even so, it’s dueling, not skirmishing. She’s not that good at it.”

“You must have faith, Overlord.”

Rainbow Dash leaned forward with tired eyes. “Faith,” she repeated, as if tasting the word. “I hope you’re right.”

-o-

“Way ta go, sis!” congratulated Applejack from her seat nodding in approval. She then looked at her brother. “Ah guess that game is actually useful after all.”

Big Macintosh looked at her through the corner of the eye. “Eeyup, it’s more useful that you may think.”

“Today’s getting quite boring, though. Ah can’t wait to watch the dueling championship. Ah need some more action here!”

“Eeyup, Ah have to admit that Go gets sometimes boring when yer not one of the players.”

“Sometimes?” repeated Applejack. “It’s always boring, brother.”

“When you don’t enjoy something, it’s always boring.”

“Ah guess so. What’s the next trial about?”

“Courtier.”

Applejack let out a long sigh, lowering her head. “More fancy talkin’.”

-o-

Twilight could hardly believe her eyes at Snips’ game. “Did he just win the game by cheating?”

“I don’t think that’s called ‘cheating’,” corrected Spike. “Though it wasn’t fair play either. But you have to admit that he’s quite witty. He totally tricked her by using her own arrogance against her.”

“He’s certainly Trixie’s apprentice,” spat Twilight angrily.

“And I suppose you praise Snails for losing.”

“He actually tries his best without using underhanded tactics.”

Spike looked at her, shrugging. “Underhanded tactics aren’t bad if nopony notices them.”

Twilight turned at him, her eyes wide open. “What are you implying, Spike? Would you use dishonorable actions?”

“There’s not an easy answer there, Twilight. I like to think that sometimes sacrificing a bit of personal honor on behalf of a greater good is worth it.”

“He didn’t trick Tiara for a greater good, Spike.”

Spike rolled his eyes, sighing. “I know, I’m just saying that playing against the rules is a bad idea unless you’re good enough to avoid getting caught. Spies do that, and you don’t reprimand Derpy.”

With a long huff, she turned away, looking at the contestants. “You love finding loopholes in the rules.”

“It’s only for the best, Twilight. If you hadn’t noticed his sleight of hooves there, you’d be proud of him for winning.”

Twilight smiled weakly. “I can’t deny that. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not disappointed at his behavior.”

“I guess we’ll warn him to be sneakier.”

Snorting softly, she leaned forward. “I have to admit that we could use another spy.”

“He has a snowflake’s chance of passing. He has to win at least one of the two remaining trials and one round of the dueling championship to pass.”

Twilight smiled, leaning a hoof on Spike’s shoulder. “A snowflake’s chance is still a chance, and a fool’s hope is still hope. It’s better than having nothing.”

-o-

Among the Wilderness ponies, Carrot Top nodded with a smile. “She’s unbelievable. No matter if she’s already passed, she’s still earning points.”

“I feel sorry for those losing against contestants who already passed,” admitted Fluttershy.

“I understand, Lady Fluttershy, but this is still a competition. Those who don’t have enough skill to outsmart or outdo their rivals shouldn’t be worthy of passing.”

“That’s a bit mean, if I may.”

“You’re right,” admitted Carrot Top with a slight nod. “However, we want the best and most competent samurais to protect our Empire and ourselves. Letting those who aren’t prepared become our soldiers and courtiers would endanger us. Trust me, Lady Fluttershy, it’s for everypony’s best interests this way.”

-o-

Among the Jewel contestants, there was an amalgamation of feelings.

“Yes! Silver Spoon’s unstoppable!” cheered Silverspeed. “I have indeed taught her well.”

“To be honest,” added Zircon with a smirk, “I’m pretty sure that Snails lost on purpose. There were too many unprotected zones, and Spoon didn’t even notice them until way later. I have my doubts concerning you so-called outstanding teachings.”

Silverspeed grunted at his comment. “Mock all you want, Captain. However, I’ll get the last laugh when my apprentice earns the title of Celestial Champion.”

“The competence this year is quite fierce, and there are talented contestants. She’ll need to sweat it if she wants to win.”

“Our clan’s academy trains the best duelists of all the Empire!” roared Silverspeed at Zircon’s words. “Who, of all those contestants who have no idea of how to duel, do you think will surpass my best student?”

“You should never underestimate your rivals, Silverspeed,” warned Rarity in a sour voice. “Overconfidence is a short path to an early and humiliating defeat.”

“But Lady Rarity, our academy–”

“I know it’s our academy,” admitted Rarity, interrupting Silverspeed, “and it’s one of the two most prestigious dojos of all the Empire. Bear in mind, though, that even being your best student, she still got injured by a scout in today’s first trial. That should make you wonder whether or not she can win without problems.”

“Dueling has rules, and Scootaloo broke them all in the previous fight!”

“You’re right, but it wasn’t a duel, it was a normal fight. Scootaloo would be able to kill Silver Spoon, or even you, if you fought in the open field. Your protégée could defeat Scootaloo easily in a duel, but I wouldn’t bet even a bit for her survivability in a Rainbow ambush.” With a sorrowful expression, she looked at Lord Rich, who stared at the contestants in disappointment. “Darling, are you okay?”

He shook his head slowly. “I should be angry for Snips’ trick, but I’m actually much more disappointed about my daughter. How could she fall for something that obvious?”

“I have to admit,” added Fancypants, “that it was an interesting strategy. Far from being fair play, but not against the rules. I say that we check his progress once the tournament is over, regardless of whether he passes or not. What do you say, Lady Rarity?”

“I agree,” she replied without hesitation.

“What about Snails?” inquired Silverspeed.

Rarity tapped her hooves against each other. “Depending on what happens after the tournament, I’ll decide if we should keep an eye on him or not. For what I’ve seen so far, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.”

-o-

“Well, what did you know?” said Pinkie with a broad smile. “Snails not only is a good fighter and a charitable soul, but also a fair pony!”

“How do you know that? inquired Bon Bon.

“My hearing is quite good!” She turned to Pokey Pierce. ” Do you think you could train him, Pokey?”

“Me? Well, I’m not sure.” He stared at Snails, a smile drawing slowly on his face. “He’s quite skilled with the blade. I actually think that he could be a promising student. But why me, and not Lyra or Bon Bon?”

“I already have Pipsqueak, but I wouldn’t mind training another apprentice,” admitted Lyra.

“Another courtier would greatly benefit our clan,” added Bon-Bon, “especially one that has some good bonds with the Lore such as him.”

“No monk, no courtier,” replied Pinkie, shaking her head rapidly. “Snails will be a bladedancer!”

“But why, Pinkie?” insisted Pokey.

“You need a good student, Pokey. One that can stick to the traditional style of the Twin Blades and doesn’t forsake your teachings once he completes the training.” Pinkie smiled gently at Pokey as he stood silent for a moment. “I didn’t forget what you told me, and I trust that he’ll become what you’re looking for.”

Lyra and Bon Bon stared at each other in confusion while Pokey smiled broadly. He nodded in approval. “You may be right.”

-o-

“The next contest is the Courtier trial!” announced Chancellor Mare loudly. “I will bring two contestants before me and give them a subject to debate. The one who more clearly demonstrates his or her superiority at it will earn the point. The first contestants will be Scootaloo and Snails.”

“Let’s get this over with; I need some more action!” cried Scootaloo, extending her wings.

Both ponies trotted towards the Chancellor. With a nod, she announced the topic. “The question is: which one of the Virtues of Bushido do you consider the most important?”

“Courage, of course!” cried Scootaloo.

“Sincerity,” replied Snails.

“Pfft, I have to say that I thought you’d go for a better one. Come on, tell me why do you think Sincerity is a better Virtue than Courage.”

“A samurai’s word is the cornerstone of his reputation. Word and Action both coincide to complete the true meaning of what a samurai stands for.”

“That’s not enough!” objected Scootaloo. “Sure, you should always speak the truth, but you must be able to defend your word against those you call you a liar! Remember, when dueling, whoever wins is right, no matter if he was telling the truth. That’s what Rainbow Dash taught me: show the steel behind your words!” She took off, flying a couple feet over him. “In the end, the truth doesn’t matter, only the sword. Remember it.”

Snails stepped back. “No! Evidence can be found! Truth is stronger than the blade! Stronger than anything!”

“Why do you think that, Snails?”

I am the living evidence of my words. Truth made me free and will give me a new life! A second chance!”

“How many ponies would stand against you, Snails?”

“Many, that I know.”

“Then why do you think you’ll succeed?” She landed in front of him, flapping her wings hastily. “Is it that you’re different from the rest of us?”

“I never said that!”

“Then temper your skill with the blade or find somepony who’ll fight for you. Otherwise, your future will be dire. You have guts to come here, even though you knew that they’d look down on you. Ignoring that, you been able to prove your worth so far, and I admire you for it.” She just smiled at him. “However, you’ll need more than your words to succeed. Learn to defend the truth.”

Snails stared at her with a sour expression. “Is it really that bad?”

Scootaloo look back at Rainbow Dash. “For what I’ve been told, it may be much worse.”

He lowered his head in defeat. “I think I’ve had enough.” He looked at the Chancellor, shaking his hoof. “I don’t want to continue.”

“In that case, Scootaloo is the winner of the round,” announced the Chancellor. “Snips and Twist, step forward!”

Both ponies walked towards her, staring at each other.

“You may choose the Virtue you consider the best and defend your arguments.”

“Honor!” cried Snips.

“Compassion,” said Twist. “It ith one of the motht important Virtueth, for it altho allowth thothe who retheive it to have a thecond chanthe.”

“You don’t need Compassion! That’s only for the weak! When you have your mentor’s worth on your side, you’re strong!”

“But Thnipth,” replied Twist with a worried voice. “That’th not correct.”

“Why? You should honor your ancestors and mentors, prove that their actions were full of good will or tainted by those who opposed them! If your mentor’s honor was destroyed, it would be your duty as their pupils to show that they were in fact honorable ponies. The way of the samurai, praising and protecting your family, your ancestors and your mentors!”

Twist stood silent for a moment, staring gloomily at him. “Ith that what you really think, Thnipth? That you should alwayth praithe your mentor, no matter that they did?”

“Of course! They made us the way we are, trained us in the centuries-old teaching of our schools!”

“I’m thorry, Thnipth, but if you really believe that, you don’t underthstand Honor.”

Snips stepped forward, yelling angrily. “Who do you think you are to tell me that I don’t understand Honor?”

“Control yourthelf, Thnipth. I jutht mean that, thometimeth, our mentorth make mithtaketh.”

“She didn’t make any mistakes!”

“That’s enough, Snips!” demanded Chancellor Mare. “This is supposed to be a polite debate, and you’re behaving like a wild animal. I’m afraid I have to disqualify you and grant the point to Twist.”

Snips grunted angrily, but didn’t reply to her, only walking back to his place, followed slowly by Twist.

“Next contestants will be Sweetie Belle and Dinky,” announced the Chancellor once the ponies had returned with the others.

“Not an easy one, Ahm afraid,” said Apple Bloom.

Sweetie sighed. “Okay, let’s do this.”

Pipsqueak’s voice sounded behind them. “Good luck, sweetie.”

“Oh, thanks, Pips… ”Sweetie Belle turned around to see Pipsqueak and Dinky smooching gently. She turned back, blushing slightly and giggling. “I guess that wasn’t for me. My nerves are getting the best of me.” She breathed slowly for a moment before walking slowly towards the Chancellor and next to Dinky.

The Chancellor stared at the two contestants, smirking. “What about you? Which one do you think is the most important Virtue?”

“Compassion,” answered Dinky.

“Courtesy,” replied Sweetie Belle.

“Compassion, Sweetie Belle, is what makes a samurai worthy of respect.”

“Maybe, but that’s not the best Virtue. Courtesy is.”

Dinky raised her hoof. “A warrior that shows mercy to a weaker rival shows that he’s a better pony.”

“Compassion is only shown to those weaker than you,” objected Sweetie Belle. “That doesn’t mean that it’s a bad Virtue, but only the strongest and most skilled samurais can show it. Courtesy, on the other side, can both create and strengthen bonds and alliances. Compassion means that the rival is submitted to you!”

Dinky raised an eyebrow. “An interesting concept. However, Compassion can also help to you strengthen relationships. A strong and merciful general can gain followers and allies on court, thus becoming an example to follow.”

“But… but…” Sweetie Belle looked around her, her lip slightly shaking. “There’s more! I mean, uh…”

“Sweetie Belle, anything else to add?” inquired the Chancellor patiently.

“Yes, yes, I’m trying to think… Courtesy… Courtesy means… Courtesy allows you go get an alliance that treats both parties as equals!” She looked surprised at her own argument, drawing a broad smile on her face. “That’s it! Courtesy means treating others with the same respect as you’d like to get. Even though Compassion is also a worthy Virtue, it raises the samurai who offers it slightly over the other, for it means that the other is alive thanks to his or her mercy! Compassion can corrupt a pony, turning him into a tyrant if the illusion of grandeur of being superior to others fogs his reasoning!”

The Chancellor looked at Dinky, who stayed silent for a moment. She opened her mouth, but no words came out, looking to the ceiling as she meditated a reply.

“Dinky, it’s your turn,” said the Chancellor.

After a few moments she shook her head. “I don’t have anything to say. Her arguments are solid, and nothing comes to mind to refute her word. I therefore concede victory to my rival.”

“In that case, Sweetie Belle wins the round!”

Sweetie Belle let out a long sigh of relief, smiling weakly as she walked back with her friends to celebrate her victory. On the other side, Pipsqueak greeted his fillyfriend with a smooch on the cheek.

“Next contestants are Pipsqueak and Diamond Tiara,” announced the Chancellor.

“Well, monk,” said Tiara, “I think we compete this time.”

Pipsqueak didn’t reply, simply walking towards the Chancellor.

“As usual, I ask you which Virtue is the most important for you,” said the Chancellor.

“Honesty, of course,” replied Diamond Tiara.

Pipsqueak looked at her through the corner of the eye. “Really?”

“What do you mean with that? I always tell the truth, no matter if it hurts the others. What about you, monk?”

“I’d go with Honor myself.”

“Honesty embodies what a samurai must be,” continued Tiara. “Lies poison the soul and damages the samurai’s reputation. I know what honesty means, monk. Do you know what honor is? Can you describe it?”

“Honor means proving your worth without depending on others. It means being able to defend your reputation from lies and twisted truths. It’s what elevates us above the common ponies, the greatest of Virtues!”

Tiara smiled sardonically. “Those are all true statements, but it also shows that you have little understanding of your chosen Virtue. Besides, if you aren’t honest, you can’t live an honorable life. Or can you, monk?”

“Eh… well, I guess that…”

“Please, don’t make us waste more time. Show that you understand honor and concede already. Don’t make this longer than necessary.”

“But I know what Honor is!” cried Pipsqueak.

Tiara shook her head. “You didn’t describe Honor; you described pride.”

Pipsqueak stood silently in front of her for a while, lowering his head.

“Pipsqueak, do you have anything else to say?” inquired the Chancellor. Pipsqueak shook his head slowly before returning to his place. “Diamond Tiara wins the round.”

“A Jewel defeated by a monk in a Courtier trial. That’s never gonna happen,” said Tiara in a low voice as she walked back to Silver Spoon’s side. “You’re going to have an easy one too, considering who’s the other pony left.”

“Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon,” announced the Chancellor. “Step forward.”

“This might be interesting,” admitted Silver Spoon.

“Go get ‘er, Apple Bloom!” cheered Scootaloo.

Both mares stood in front of the Chancellor, facing each other, as she asked the same question. “For you, which is the most important Virtue?”

“Courage!” replied Apple Bloom without hesitation.

“Duty!” answered Silver Spoon right after her.

“Ah have to admit that yours is also quite important,” admitted Apple Bloom. “But Duty can’t exist without Courage.”

“And you say that because–”

“To perform your Duty, you must have the Courage to go through the ordeal that it demands.” She hit herself on the chest, her voice sounding deep and proud as if quoting an ancestral oath. “A true soldier requires bravery to face the dangers that involve his role as defender of the Empire. A coward won’t perform his Duty, and his word should not be trusted! Only those who stand above fear hold the right to be called samurais!”

The Hall was silent for a few seconds, all struck deeply by Apple Bloom’s words. From the distance, Big Macintosh nodded in approval, biting his lip as tears of pride shed down his cheeks.

Chancellor Mare looked at Silver Spoon, standing in front of Apple Bloom with her eyes wide open. “Silver Spoon, the debate’s still going.”

“I… I…” Even though Apple Bloom gestured her to go on and actually continue with the debate, she shook her head. “I can’t. There’s nothing I can say that can up your words, Apple Bloom. You’ve shown here that you’re the living embodiment of Courage. For that, I salute you.”

Silver Spoon bowed deeply towards her, to which Apple Bloom replied by bowing back the same way. As they left, the Chancellor announced the result. “Apple Bloom wins the round!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle rushed to meet her friend, slightly overwhelmed by her words. “Wow, Apple Bloom, that was incredible!” cheered Scootaloo. “I still can’t believe you left a Jewel speechless in her own field!”

“Ah learnt from the best,” replied Apple Bloom, looking back at her siblings. “Mah brother is a great general, and Ah haven’t seen mah sister flee from a battle no matter how awful the odds were since Ah can remember. They both represent Courage in their own way.”

The Imperial Chancellor cleared her throat to get the contestants’ attention. “The final trial is the Hunting contest. You’ll form groups to find and bring back a phoenix’s egg. Those whose group achieves this in the two hours that last the trial will earn a point each.”

Sweetie Belle, Pipsqueak, Snails and Scootaloo hopped next to each other.

“If we find the egg,” said Scootaloo. “We’ll pass! We have to do this together.”

“Sure thing, Scoots!” replied Sweetie Belle. “But we don’t know anything about phoenixes.”

“Leave that to me!” offered Twist, waving at them. “Our clan trainth phoenixeth, tho I know where they make their nethtth.”

“She also told me that they’re dangerous creatures, so Ahm going with y’all,” said Apple Bloom.

Stepping forward, Dinky bowed at them. “I’ll also offer my assistance to you. Besides,” she continued with a short giggle. “I don’t want my future husband to do crazy things.”

“Hey, I don’t do crazy things!” complained Pipsqueak. When he said that, though, Dinky looked upon him as if saying ‘Not even you are buying that.’

“I’m also coming with you,” said Silver Spoon.

Diamond Tiara pulled her close. “What are you doing? Why are you teaming up with them?”

“They’ll need help, and I think you should join us.”

Tiara looked disgusted at the idea. “Me? With them? We don’t need them, we both can find the eggs!”

Silver Spoon shook her head. “Either that, or you’re on your own. Bear in mind that you’re only one point away from passing. Do you really want to take the risk of waiting for the dueling tournament tomorrow?”

Tiara grunted in denial at first, but she sighed a moment later. “Fine, I just want to finish this already.”

“What about me?” asked Snips.

“Well, he could pass if he wins a duel against somepony tomorrow,” said Snails. “What do you say, team?” The rest of contestants nodded weakly, though also showed signs of not being really pleased with the idea. Snails’ voice didn’t sound very happy either when he gestured him to come. “Okay, come with us.”

The Chancellor stood silently for a moment, blinking at them. “So, you’re making a whole group? The ten of you?” At their approving nods, she closed her eyes before continuing. “You know that if an egg isn’t given to me in two hours, nopony would earn the point. Are you okay with that?” The contestants nodded again. She raised her hoof with a confused expression. “Very well then, let the hunting begin!”

“Come on, follow me!” shouted Twist as she took the lead. “I know where we can find them!”

-o-

As the contestants left, the rest of the clan’s members had one thing in mind.

“We should imprison Snips as soon as he arrives!” demanded Zircon.

“I have to agree,” added Fancypants. “It’s truly a danger for the Empire. He supports his mentor.”

“I know that,” said Rarity. “However, we can’t touch him for now. Staining our hooves with blood isn’t convenient for us at the moment. We must keep an eye on him, though.” She looked at the Apple siblings. “They’ll take care of him, or even Twilight. They’re the ones that excel at fighting Bloodspeakers.”

-o-

“Ah should crush that stallion’s head with mah hammer!” roared Applejack.

“Ah know, Applejack,” replied Big Macintosh. “Ah’ll send one of our summoners to keep a close eye on ‘im. The Imperial Guards will take care of this as long as he’s at the Palace.”

-o-

Derpy looked at Rainbow Dash with one of her eyes and the Lore and Apple tables with the other. “Don’t worry, Overlord Dash, I’ll report every single move that Snips makes.”

“I expect no less from you, Spymaster.” Rainbow Dash leaned towards her, whispering to her ear. “If he does something obviously related to Bloodspeakers, pierce his skull with an arrow. The other clans will surely appreciate it. Leave no trace of your actions if you do.”

“Consider it done, Overlord Dash.”

-o-

“I’ll pierce his heart with my spear at your command, Twilight,” said Spike, clenching the shaft.

“Not yet, Spike.”

“Are we letting him live?”

Twilight nodded slowly. “I’m sure the Apple is going to send somepony to keep a close eye on him, but I have to know everything that’s taking place in that pony’s head. Let’s hope Trixie doesn’t find him first.”

-o-

Fluttershy gritted her teeth in anger as Carrot Top leaned her hooves on her shoulders.

“Please, Lady Fluttershy,” comforted Carrot Top. “You have to stay calm.”

“I don’t want that monster close to Twist,” grunted Fluttershy pushing away Carrot Top’s hooves. “I’ll demand him to be imprisoned at the Imperial Dungeons. I refuse to relive the horror we had to go through ever again.”

“I understand, Lady Fluttershy, I’ll request an audience with the Empresses as soon as this trial is over.”

-o-

“Well, that was an interesting turn of events!” acclaimed Pinkie Pie. “Of all the things that could happen here, this was the most stupidly impossible of all.”

“What shall we do, then?” inquired Lyra. “And more important, is Pipsqueak in danger?”

“In the remote chance that he tries to attack them, he’ll be defeated easily.” Pinkie crossed her hooves in front of her. “I’m more worried about Trixie, though.”

“Didn’t you kill her?”

“I defeated her, but didn’t kill her. She can’t be killed that easily.”

“How do you know that, Pinkie?” asked Pokey.

“When I fought her, she withstood a huge amount of blows from my meteor hammer. I’m sure I broke most of her bones, and she didn’t stop crying until after a long while later.”

“Why didn’t you tell the others? They must know!”

“I told Twilight, and she’s been doing some research on her own, but found nothing. Besides, Trixie isn’t stupid. She now knows what we’re able to do, so she won’t attack us from the front and won’t come all by herself.”