• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 925 Views, 66 Comments

Fighting is Magic: Story Mode (Background Six Edition) - Lance Skyes



The Equestria Battle Tournament is on!

  • ...
2
 66
 925

Lyra Heartstrings: Lyra vs Discord? +Epilogue

Lyra never thought of herself as a very good fighter. Though here she was now, the pony who defeated Princess Celestia in combat and became the champion of the Equestria Battle Tournament. Simply because of this, it was safe to assume that everypony in the crowd had forgotten what defined Lyra in the past. No more was she just a weirdo. She was now a champion.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, foals of all ages,” Princess Celestia announced as she addressed the crowd. “It’s time for the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Lyra Heartstrings, please step forward.”

Lyra stepped forward while smiling and waving to the crowd. Her reputation was already saved, so now all she had to do was work the crowd just a little more as she accepted her prize. A bag of 1,000,000 bits and a trophy that depicted two ponies fighting each other, both of which Princess Celestia levitated with her magic.

“The winner of the Equestria Battle Tournament is-”

“Hold it!” an unfamiliar voice called out. “You call that fighting? A foal could fight better than that with their forelegs tied behind their back. This kind of mistake needs to be corrected.” Suddenly, there were two flashes of white light. When they faded, the trophy and prize money were both gone.

“The trophy!” Lyra shouted. “What have you done with it?”

“I just thought I’d hold onto it to make sure it stayed safe,” the voice replied. “Why? You want it back?”

“Well, it would be nice if I were to be the one to keep it, seeing as I was the one who won it,” Lyra replied.

“You do bring up a fair point... NOT! You’re not getting this trophy back. Unless...”

“Unless?” Lyra asked.

“Unless you agree to do one thing for me.”

“I’m listening,” Lyra said skeptically. Only at that moment did it click that whoever this voice was, he was trying to lure Lyra into a trap.

“Agree to face me in my own dimension,” the voice replied. “Fight me on my own turf, and if you win, the trophy and prize money are yours. The choice is yours, you human-loving foal.” Right as the voice said this, Lyra noticed some of the audience members begin murmuring amongst each other and chuckling softly at Lyra. So much for them forgetting that she believed in humans.

“Don’t do it Lyra!” Bon Bon shouted. “He’s trying to lure you into a trap!”

“You can’t trust him,” Octavia said.

“I can still throw you that party without the money,” Vinyl said.

“You already beat Princess Celestia,” Doctor Whooves said. “You’ve nothing left to prove.”

“Lyra, you’re cool to us,” Derpy said. “You don’t have to prove yourself to everypony else anymore.”

“I’m sorry,” the voice said, “but I don’t appreciate when somepony speaks without being spoken to. It’s downright disrespectful.” Just then, there were several flashes of light. When they faded, all of Lyra’s friends had duct tape over their mouths.

“What was that for?” Lyra shouted. “They have nothing to do with this!”

“Do I hear you implying that you accept my challenge?” the voice asked.

“Yes,” Lyra replied firmly. “I accept your challenge.”

“Excellent!” the voice said. Just then, there was one more flash of light. When it faded, Lyra was gone.

When Lyra opened her eyes, the sight she saw shocked her. It looked kind of like Ponyville, only the buildings were floating and upside down, the ground was a pink and purple checkerboard, and there were clouds made of cotton candy raining chocolate milk all over the place.

“Woah,” Lyra said to herself as she looked around. “What kind of craziness is this?”

“It is not craziness,” the voice from before shouted. “I prefer the term ‘chaotic’. It has a better ring to it.”

“Okay, fine,” Lyra replied. “Hay, didn’t you bring me here for a fight or something?”

“Well, they certainly make much cockier ponies nowadays,” the voice said. Then, in a flash of light, the source of the voice revealed himself.

“Holy hay bales!” Lyra shouted. “What in Celestia’s name are you?”

“I’m Discord,” the creature replied. “Your friendly neighborhood spirit of chaos and disharmony.”

“Chaos and disharmony?” Lyra asked. “Does that mean you’re friends with Pinkie Pie?”

“Oh, I’d love to be friends with her,” Discord replied. “She is one of my favorite ponies, after all. If only she would use her chaos to add a little more spice to life like I do.”

“Enough about Pinkie Pie,” Lyra suddenly said. “You brought me here for a battle, and I plan on defeating you in that battle.”

“Oh, alright,” Discord said with a huff. “But we’re going to do this a little differently than what you’re used to. Instead of best two out of three, we’ll only fight one round with a time limit. Beat me under those conditions, and the trophy and prize money are yours. Also, since I’m in a good mood today, I’ll grant you one wish within my power. However, if I win, I get to keep you here and do as I please with you for eternity. Do I make a good deal or do I make a good deal?”

Lyra could tell Discord was making a bet he was confident he could win. However, Lyra was also confident in her own combat skills, so she accepted the deal with a silent but serious nod. “Bring it on.”

“Prepare yourself for defeat, Lyra Heartstrings! Round 1, fight!”

(Pretend Zalgojack is an extension of Discord’s power here. Besides, I didn’t really think the old battle theme was boss-worthy.)

Lyra was more than willing to get this fight over with. She had a reputation to maintain and some friends to fight for, so she was going all out on this creep. She galloped forward and gave Discord a solid punch to the chest that she was sure would deal significant damage.

“Ooh, ow!” Discord shouted as he clutched his chest. “I think you broke some ribs!”

“Ready to throw in the towel then?” Lyra asked.

“No, I think I’ll hang onto my towel for now,” Discord replied, “given the fact that that punch did nothing, after all!” He then began cackling wildly.

“But my hooves have been trained for years with my lyre,” Lyra said. “With how strong they are, that punch should have done something!”

“Well playing instruments aren’t everything when it comes to combat,” Discord replied with a smile.

Lyra didn’t reply to this. If hooves failed her, her next line of defence was magic. She charged her horn and fired a powerful blast of magic that Discord took head-on.

“Well that was pathetic,” Discord said as he shrugged the attack off. “The punch actually did more damage than that. Let me show you what a real projectile attack is supposed to do!” With that, Discord fired a blast of concentrated chaos from his paw. The attack came at Lyra so fast, she had no time to dodge before she was hit square in the face and knocked backwards.

That one hit did quite a lot of damage to Lyra, but the damage to her body was nothing compared to the damage to her confidence. She quickly realized that she was probably in a losing battle once she realized how heavy of a hit she had taken.

Discord was not one to pass up an opportunity of any sort, so he took advantage of Lyra’s faltering confidence and charged forward to unleash an unrelenting volley of punches and kicks. Lyra did her best to defend against and counter the attacks, but she was for the most part defenceless as all of her efforts failed.

“I must say, Lyra, you put up quite a fight,” Discord said as he finally gave the battered and bruised Lyra a chance to breathe. “However, I fear this battle is over.”

“I’m not finished with you!” Lyra shouted despite her injuries.

“I’m afraid you are, actually,” Discord replied. He then materialized a glass, filled it with chocolate rain, and threw it at Lyra.

“Hang on,” Lyra said. “I’m lactose-intolerant!”

“In that case, you’re gonna really hate milk after this,” Discord said with a chuckle as the glass began to glow.

“Oh, that’s so much worse,” Lyra said as she realized what was about to happen. Just then, the glass exploded, sending Lyra flying backwards. As she was caught in the explosion, she let out a high-pitched yell in a voice that wasn’t her own.

“Hmm,” Discord said to himself. “I can’t put my finger on where, but I know I’ve heard that before.” He then began cackling madly.

“I... can’t... let... you...” Lyra started to say. However, her stamina was completely drained and she was unable to finish her sentence before she fell to the ground in defeat. “...beat... me...”

“KO! I win!” Discord shouted. “Well, Lyra, looks like it’s...” Discord paused for a moment to put on a pair of sunglasses. “Game over! Yeah!

“There has to be some way to beat you...” Lyra said mostly to herself as she rested her head on the ground in defeat. “Only there isn’t.”

“Now that doesn’t sound like the Lyra Heartstrings I know,” a strangely familiar voice said from nowhere.

“What the hay?” Lyra said to herself as her ears perked up. “Either I’m hearing things or that was my own voice who just said that.”

“It’s not just your voice saying this,” the voice replied. “It’s you from a parallel universe. But not just any parallel universe...”

“Wait...” Lyra thought to herself. “Are you...?”

“Yes, Lyra,” the voice replied. “I’ve the version of you from the human universe.”

“What?” Lyra asked in shock. “You mean... all these years... and such a world exists?”

“That’s correct, Lyra,” human Lyra replied. “I’m here to tell you that you shouldn’t give up on this fight.”

“But Discord’s too strong,” pony Lyra replied. “Is there some way you can help me?”

“I can only do one thing for you, Lyra,” human Lyra replied. “All I can do is tell you to forget about your reputation with all the other ponies and be your true self. Who knows? If you win this battle and use that wish, you might be able to see my world and I could possibly see yours.”

“You’re right,” pony Lyra said as she rose to her hooves. “I need to fight for myself and not for everypony else.”

“That’s the spirit,” human Lyra replied. “Now get back in the ring with that guy, and I’ll be right there with you every step of the way.”

“Understood,” pony Lyra said as she felt her wounds being healed.

“Hmm?” Discord asked. “Are you ready for a second beating?”

“No, Discord,” Lyra said. “I’m going to defeat you, and I’m no longer fighting because of what others think of me.” Lyra then lowered the front half of her body as if doing a pushup before pushing her whole body upwards to where she was standing on two legs. She wobbled a little, but she quickly regained her balance and raised her forehooves as though they were fists. “I’m going to beat you as myself.”

“Ha!” Discord laughed. “I’ve never seen anypony embarrass themselves to quite this degree in my life, and I’ve lived quite a long time.”

“It’s not about my image anymore,” Lyra said. “It’s about beating you. Now come at me!”

“Your choice, weirdo. Round 1, FIGHT!”

Discord was standing ready for Lyra’s attack, but instead of attack him, she motioned with her hoof for him to come at her. “How dare you!” Discord shouted. “I’ll show you the price you pay for overconfidence!” He then fired a blast of concentrated chaos from his paw. Lyra leapt over this attack and did a perfect front flip before landing perfectly on her hind legs and giving Discord a solid jab that knocked him backwards.

“Hay!” Discord shouted. “That actually hurt! You’re going to pay for that!” He then tried to strike Lyra with a punch of his own, but Lyra blocked the attack and followed up with a powerful knockback attack that sent him skidding backwards.

“This is the price you pay for underestimating me,” Lyra said with a smirk.

“And this is the price you pay for using my taunts!” Discord shouted. He then pulled out another glass, filled it with chocolate rain, and flung it at Lyra.

“Too predictable,” Lyra said to herself. She then leapt up, reached out with her hoof, and used her magic to materialize a magic field that looked similar to a hand to grab the glass. Lyra then threw the glass at Discord, who screamed like a little girl as he was caught in the explosion. “Ready to give up yet, Discord?”

“Hardly,” Discord replied. He then used magic to pull Lyra closer to him.

“Put me down!” Lyra shouted. “How is this a fair fight if my hooves aren’t even on the ground?”

“Oh, this left the realm of a fair fight a long time ago,” Discord said with rage in his voice.

“Well then what’s your next move, huh?” Lyra asked as she realized that she was within Discord’s reach.

“Oh, there’s a pretty long list,” Discord replied. “First thing on the list, THIS!” Discord then reached up and grabbed Lyra by the throat, strangling her. “What’s the matter, Lyra? I thought you liked hands.”

No matter how hard Lyra struggled, she couldn’t break free from Discord’s grasp. His grip was firm, and the lyrist was powerless against his might.

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for a moment like this, Lyra Heartstrings,” Discord said. “It’s all over for you.”

“No... it’s... not!” Lyra shouted as she charged her horn with magic. She then unleashed the most powerful blast she could manage right in Discord’s face. Lyra took the opportunity to break free from Discord’s grasp, but not before she gave him a flip kick right to his jaw that knocked him back further.

“Now that was just playing cheap!” Discord shouted.

“Oh, so now there’s such a thing as cheap shots, huh?” Lyra asked as she rose to her hind legs again. She then charged forward and unleashed a blinding flurry of punches and kicks that Discord was powerless against.

“How can this be?” Discord shouted as he was near defeat. “I wasn’t supposed to lose this battle, you were!” He then fell to the ground, defeated.

“KO! I win! Flawless victory!” Lyra shouted. She then got back on all fours and cantered over to where Discord lay. “Alright, Discord. You set up your own bet, so pay up. Return the trophy and prize money at once.”

“Fine,” Discord said angrily. “And your wish?”

“My wish?” Lyra asked. “I wish to be able to see the human world with my own eyes and thank my counterpart in that world for helping me beat you just now.”

“Actually, Lyra, there’s something you should probably know,” Discord said. “That wish is already cooking, and I can’t make it go any faster, so that would be a wasted wish.”

“Really?” Lyra asked. “Well in that case, make it so that ponies don’t think of me as some kind of weirdo for believing in humans anymore. I know I won the tournament and all, but you kind of set things back for me.”

“A wise wish,” Discord said as he snapped his fingers. “After all, the ponies won’t remember a thing you did in that tournament anyway.”

Before Lyra could respond, Discord snapped his fingers once again, sending Lyra back home and erasing all of the events of the Equestria Battle Tournament from everypony’s memories. However, since Discord was a creature of his word, all the ponies would also forget about Lyra’s obsession with humans, so she’d be back to being a regular background pony. Discord then cackled evilly to himself. “They have no idea what’s coming to them,” Discord said to himself as he laughed. “Soon, all of Equestria will be mine!”

Author's Note:

Finally, Lyra's story mode is finished. Next up is Bon Bon, but she's going to be a bit of a challenge to write because she isn't that well-known even among just the fandom. If you have any suggestions for who Bon Bon should fight, please let me know.

Comments ( 6 )

I would say that Bon-Bon enters the tournmanet to fund her own sweet shop so she doesn't have to constantly take on odd jobs. In round 4 she fights Pinkie Pie, who she blames alongside the Cakes for all but cornering the sweet market, and in round 7 she fights Applejack, due to being a distant relative of the Apple family.

3807278 Well at first, I wanted to avoid having the BG6 fight the M6 because of canon, but then I realized that when I did Vinyl Scratch's story, she battled both Pinkie Pie and Octavia, both of whom squared off in Pinkie's stage 4, so I guess canon's no longer a problem. :pinkiecrazy:

3813857 Yeah. Remember that this is based off of Tekken, and in the story modes even when two fighters face each other their rivalry isn't always the same. Not every character fights the same mid bosses.

3814171 Okay. Thank you very much. :yay:

4393656 Cut me some slack. I wrote those chapters last year. :pinkiesick:

4404153 Can you please go back to updating please?

Login or register to comment