• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 491 Views, 10 Comments

Life of Cinder - SandStorms



Cinder, a young colt, who has lost everything to some thieves with a knife, must learn to live on his own when he runs from his orphaned life...

  • ...
2
 10
 491

Making Plans

When Cinder finally came too, he found himself in a white room. It was a simple room with nothing on the walls, but a small window to his right. He was lying in a bed, far more comfortable than the one in the dorms. He was under a thick wool blanket. Cinder rubbed his eyes and felt his hoof brush something on his head. Cinder looked to his side and saw a mirror on the bedside table. He had a rather large bandage on his head. Cinder was confused for a moment, but his memory slowly returned to him.
Cinder understood where he was now, he was in the medical bay of the orphanage. Cinder lost track of his thought as he heard voices outside of the room. He looked at the door which was cracked open. Cinder heard a voice which he identified quickly as Stone, “How is he?”
“The doctor says he should be waking up soon,” Cinder recognized as Dusty, “but the doc doesn’t want too many ponies in the room when he wakes.”
“Makes sense I guess,” Stone grumbled, “I hope you’ll tell me when he wakes up though.”
“Of course I will.” Dusty said.
The door opened and Dusty exclaimed, “Look who’s decided to join the living!” Dusty looked back at Stone, “I guess it won’t hurt if you say hi,” Dusty said, “Just don’t tell the doc.” He smiled as he stepped into the room with Stone in tow.
“So how are you feeling?” Dusty asked.
“I’ve been better.” Cinder wheezed.
“You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, you took quite a beating back there,” Dusty said.
Cinder shook his head, “How long have I been out? Couldn’t have been long since the sun is only just setting,” he said while looking out the window.
“Yea, about that,” Dusty looking away rubbing the back of his head, “you’ve been out for nearly two days.”
Cinder looked up at the ceiling, he was stunned about what was just said. Finally after a few moments he looked at the ponies. “So what’s going to happen now?” Cinder asked.
“Well you’re probably going to stay in here for a few nights to make sure your fine, and then you will just go back to your dorm. Oh and don’t worry about Blitz, I had a talk with him after what happened.” Dusty said. There was a fire in Dusty’s eye that made Cinder shiver. Cinder couldn’t quite place it but he felt as though Dusty took it personally. Cinder shook the thought from his mind.
“Hey Dusty, can I speak with Stone in private please?” Cinder asked shyly.
Dusty was confused as he looked at the two ponies, “Uh yea I guess,” he looked at Stone, “Don’t stay to long.” He said leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.
“Cinder, I’m so sorry, if only I was ther---,” Stone silenced himself as Cinder raised his hoof.
“Don’t you dare blame yourself,” Cinder said forcefully, “If this is anyones fault, its mine. If I hadn’t been such a foolish little colt then I would of listened to you in the first place.” Cinder said his face stoic.
Stone thought over this for a moment, then his face brightened slightly, “Does that mean---?”
“You were right I should have already run from this place a week ago.” Cinder said.
“Cinder this is great!” Stone exclaimed.
“Shhh, there could be a pony outside!” Cinder said with a forced whisper.
“Sorry,” Stone said, “ok so we are going to have to make plans.” Stone said.
Cinder nodded. They stayed in the room for a few hours speaking in hushed voices making plans.
They were both going to have a busy month to come.