• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 491 Views, 10 Comments

Life of Cinder - SandStorms



Cinder, a young colt, who has lost everything to some thieves with a knife, must learn to live on his own when he runs from his orphaned life...

  • ...
2
 10
 491

Suspisions

“What are you doing here Dusty?” Stone asked nervously.
“Stone, where is he?” Dusty asked forcefully.
“Who are you talking about?” Stone said taking a step back.
“Cinder!” Dusty exclaimed, throwing his face towards Stones causing him to stumble backward.
Stone finally getting ahold of himself, said calmly, “What’s wrong with him, why are you looking for him?” Stone put a worried look onto his face, causing Dusty to calm slightly.
“He ran away from the orphanage a few days ago.” Dusty explained.
“That’s horrible in all but why come here?” Stone asked adding a hint of ignorance in hope to fool the larger stallion.
“Cinder has no family and no one that cares for him, no one but you, you were the only pony that cared for the colt,” Dusty said stoically, “that’s why I think he is here.”
“Sorry but I haven’t seen him since I left the orphanage,” Stone lied, “You can even look around if you want.” Stone said the last part louder so that his voice carried through the apartment.
“I’ll be a minute.” Dusty said entering the front room. He then went down the hall. Stone started to worry when Dusty did not return immediately. He realized his hoof was tapping rapidly and stopped himself. He took a deep breath and calmed himself. Seconds later Dusty returned down the hall, and Stone let out another relived breath.
Dusty searched the rest of the small apartment finding nothing. He returned to the front room and stepped out the front door.
Dusty said, “I’m sorry for bothering you.”
Stone replied, “It was nothing, have a good afternoon and please tell me if you find Cinder.” Stone began to close the door when suddenly Dusty threw out his hoof and stopped the door from closing.
Dusty then leaned in the said through his teeth, “If I find out you have been sheltering that colt, I will not hesitate to call the guards and have you arrested for pony-napping.” Then Dusty turned and walked towards the stairs and onto the street.
Stone watched him go all the way around the corner before he closed the door. He let out a sigh and slid down the door and sat on the ground.

~~~

Cinder froze at Dusty’s name being called out. He found himself by the door of the room with his ear held up against the door. He heard a muffled conversation passed the door. He could not make out what was said until Stone called out in a louder voice, ‘You can even look around if you want.’
Cinder began to panic when hoof steps sounded out as a pony was walking down the hall. Cinder whipped his head around as he looked for someplace to hide and his eyes fell upon the bed. Cinder ran and slid under the large wooden bed and looked back towards the doorway.
He held his breath when Cinder saw Dusty enter the room. Dusty stood at the door for a few seconds before he began looking around the room. He walked into the bathroom connected to the room, then walked out. He walked past the bed and look into the small closet.
Cinder look round under the bed and saw his makeshift bed and crawled towards it. Just as Cinder slid behind the small bed Dusty lifted the bed skirt and looked under. Cinder could only hold his breath a little longer. Just as he thought he was going to faint Dusty let the skirt dropped and walked from the room.
Cinder sat there for a moment before he slid out from under the bed. He tiptoed towards the door and peaked around the corner down the hall. Stone was leading Dusty out the door. When Stone began to shut the door Cinder saw Dusty’s light brown hoof catch the door. Cinder heard one line in a hushed voice from Dusty…

And it made his blood run cold…

“If I find out you have been sheltering that colt, I will not hesitate to call the guards and have you arrested for pony-napping.”
Cinder went back around the corner a sat down. He briefly heard a dull thump and assumed Stone was also sitting now.

~~~

Stone and Cinder were both sitting at the small dining table at the edge of the kitchen. They were eating dinner which consisted of a daffodil sandwich and soup. Stone had stopped making anything too fancy for the two of them, as to the request of Cinder. They ate in silence, but after they had both finished their meals Cinder broke it saying, “I can’t stay here.”
Stone stopped and said immediately, “Yes you can, if Dusty comes back you can just hide again.”
Cinder sighed, “I think we both know we just got lucky today.”
Stone let out a breath, “I know, can we just not talk about this now?”
Cinder said after a moment, “Fine, but are going to talk about it later.”
Stone said “Ok, I have work tomorrow so I’m going to hit the hay early.”
Cinder said, “I won’t be long either.”
“Goodnight,” they both said.
Stone went down the hall to the bedroom, while Cinder just sat at the table. Time passed and soon Cinder heard snoring coming from down the hall. Cinder stood and walked down the hall and entered the bedroom quietly so he did not wake the stallion. He spotted his saddlebags next to his makeshift bed, which Stone must have pulled out for him. He walked silently over to his bags and retrieved them. He slid them onto his back and walked from the room.
Once he has gotten to the living room he found a piece of parchment and wrote something down. He placed the finished letter onto the table and started for the front door. The clock in the living room read ten o’clock. Cinder grabbed his front door key that Stone had made for him in preparation for Cinder to live with him, and opened the door. He stepped out the door looked back with a look of sorrow on his face.
He said no louder than a whisper, “Goodbye big brother.”
Cinder then shut the door, locked it and walked out into the night.