• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 491 Views, 10 Comments

Life of Cinder - SandStorms



Cinder, a young colt, who has lost everything to some thieves with a knife, must learn to live on his own when he runs from his orphaned life...

  • ...
2
 10
 491

A Bully and a Brother

Cinder awoke from his restless sleep by the sound of ponies moving around him. Cinder looked towards the window on the far side of the room. He saw that it was still dark out, Wow these guys wake up early..., Cinder thought. He considered falling back asleep but decided that it was much too loud to even try. Cinder sighed, sat up, and got off of his bed. He made his bed and went off to complete his morning chores. He brushed his teeth and combed his mane so it didn’t look like he had just gotten out of bed.
Once he finished his morning chores he walked from the bathroom, he walked over to his bed to put his things away. Cinder heard whispers and felt eyes boring into the back of his head. Without turning around, Cinder peaked behind him and out of the corner of his eye he saw a pegasus colt, who had to be close to be considered a young stallion, glaring at him with a menacing smile. Cinder shuddered and remembered that look from his first day of school.
It was the way bullies looked down at their newest victim, but this look was even darker. It was the look of a predator looked at its prey.
Cinder made a note to stay as far from that pony as best he could.
Cinder looked toward the door as it was opened and saw Miss Grey walk through into the room. She called out about the chatter of the children, “Breakfast is ready!”
Cinder’s stomach rumbled at this, he remembered just how hungry he had become.
All the ponies shuffled out the door over into the next room. Cinder looked around as he entered into the room, it was a simple cafeteria with long tables spreading out across the room. Cinder made his way to the line of ponies and waited to get his food. The line moved quickly and Cinder laid the tray onto his back. He walked over to the far corner of the room where nopony else was. He placed the tray on the table and sat down. The tray held cold toast, water-logged oatmeal, soggy fruit and a small glass of milk.
“Bon appétit,” Cinder mumbled to himself and began eating. No longer than thirty seconds passed when he heard heavy hoof steps approaching him. Cinder risked a glance up and froze in horror. It was the mean looking pegasus from the other room. Cinder got a good look at him from the close distance. He had a red coat and a messy orange mane. He was flanked by two more pegasus, the one on his left was lime green with a black mane and the one on his right was blue with a yellow mane.
They reached the table and stared down at their newest victim. The middle pegasus tapped his hoof on the ground and looked at Cinder expecting him to do something. There was an unnerving silence, until the pegasus finally said, “Well?”
Cinder stumbled on his words for a few moments, “W-well what-t?”
The pegasus looked at his buddies and snickered, he looked back and stared deathly at Cinder, “They never give us enough food here, and you are going to give me yours!” He growled.
Cinder said no louder than a whisper, “I think I’ll keep my food thanks.”
“What did you say?” Impatience thick in his voice.
“I said I am not giving you MY food.” Cinder said, and then faltered when he realized that the larger pony saw that as a challenge.
“Well guys I think we need to teach this dork a lesion.” With that the two ponies on the sides of the red pegasus rushed forward and pinned Cinder onto the ground. Cinder looked with fear as the red coated colt walked over him and raised a hoof to stomp on his chest. Cinder shut his eyes and waited for the inevitable pain that was to come. But it never came, Cinder heard a thump and the hooves holding him down disappeared.
Cinder’s eyes flew open and saw a pile of pegasi lying against the wall. In between them a colt, even older than the pegasus group was standing in between them. He was an earth pony with a light brown coat and dark brown mane. He had a cutie mark of a pickaxe. The pegasi recovered from their daze and looked at the new comer.
“Well look who we have here, the party crashers here.” The main pegasus sneered. “Is this your new friend? Because we were busy teaching him a lesson!”
The earth pony unfazed by their insults growled, “I’m getting real tired about having to stop you guys you know.”
“Fine have your loser of a colt.” The pegasus spat, “But you won’t be here forever to protect him you know.” He walked off with a smirk.
The earth pony sighed, “He can’t get really annoying sometimes,” he said to no one in particular. He looked down at Cinder and helped him up, “Are you okay?”
“Yea, I think so,” Cinder said, “Thanks for the help.”
“No problem.” The earth pony said with a grin. “I’m Stone Wall by the way. But you can just call me Stone.”
“I’m Cinder.” He replied, “Who were those guys?”
Stone frowned, “A bunch of idiots, that’s who,” He sighed, “The big one with the red coat goes by Fire Blitz, and those were his two idiot friends.”
Cinder chuckled at that. “They cause a lot of trouble?”
“Yea they think they run this place, and anyone who doesn’t listen… Well I think you know what happens,” Stone said, “I’ve had enough talking about them, what about you?”
Cinder looked at his hooves, “My parents were killed…” Tears slowly forming in his eyes, “I have no other family to take me in.”
“I’m sorry.” Stone’s voice barely a whisper. They both just sat at the table together, Cinder finished his meal and they both returned to the dorms. The rest of the day flew by a simple lunch and boring dinner passed. They were all in the dorms. Cinder laid down on his bed and let his mind wander.
He was brought back to consciousness when he heard things being dropped next to him. It was Stone with all his things putting them away under the bed next to him.
“What are you doing?” Cinder asked.
“Switching beds, what does it look like?” He replied with a smile. “Can’t have Fire Blitz bugging you in the morning.”
Cinder shrugged and laid back down on his pillow. Then a thought crept to the front of his mind.
“Hey Stone.” Cinder said looking to his new neighbor.
“Hmm.” Stone grunted looking up.
“What did Fire Blitz mean when he said, ‘You won’t be here forever to protect me’?” Cinder asked.
Stone sighed, “I’m about to age out of the system. I have about two months left.”
“So Fire is just going to wait until you’re gone before he does something to me, I see why now.” Cinder said flatly.
Stone was silent for a moment; he finally said after a long pause, “You need to get out of here Cinder.”
“What?” Cinder said in disbelief. “You want me to run?”
“When I’m aged out yes, I want you to run away from this place. I can’t think of what Fire will do to you when I’m gone.” Stone said stoically.
“Where would I possibly go?” Cinder asked.
“You could stay with me I guess, the orphanage will be giving me some starter money and a small apartment to stay in.” Stone said.
Cinder was silent after this. When he finally he said, “I’m going to bed.”
With that Cinder slid under his covers with his back to Stone. He pretended to sleep but he knew he wasn’t going to get much sleep tonight; he just had too much on his mind.