• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 491 Views, 10 Comments

Life of Cinder - SandStorms



Cinder, a young colt, who has lost everything to some thieves with a knife, must learn to live on his own when he runs from his orphaned life...

  • ...
2
 10
 491

Games and Tears

Chapter 2
It was the night of the first day of school and the Star family sat down to eat their dinner.
“So what do we want to do tonight?” Crystal broke the silence that had overcome the table.
“I think we should let Cinder decide, it was his special day after all.” Shining said with a smile.
Cinder thought for a while, “Can we play some games?”
Cinder ate the last bite of his dinner, smiled and looked at his father, and with record speed, tapped his father, “TAG!” with that Cinder bolted up the stairs.
Shining laughed, “Oh no you don’t!” and gave chase.
Crystal chucked, “I guess I got the dishes.”
The father and son ran back, forth, up and down, all around the house taking turns chasing the other.
Crystal finished the dishes and stopped the boys. “I’ll play if it’s something a little less active.” She said with a smile.
Cinder burst out, “I know, can we play hide and seek!”
Crystal said, “Now that’s something I think I can handle.”
“Ok, Cinder, Crystal go hide I’ll count.” Shining smiled.
He closed his eyes and started to count, “One, two, three…”
“Lets go Cinder,” his mother whispered. She ran and snuck up the stairs.
Cinder followed his mother up the stairs quickly and quietly.
“Cinder you hide under your bed. I’ll hide in the curtains.” His mother whispered.
“Ok mom, oh quick dad is almost finished counting!” Cinder whispered.
Cinder slid under the bed.
“…Eight, nine, ten, ready or not here I come.” Shining called from downstairs.
After what seemed like ages, his father began up the stairs. He walked right next to Cinder’s bed.
The little colt held his breath afraid that it might give away his hiding spot. He saw his father’s hoof reach for the blanket that was covering Cinder from view. Cinders heart was beating so fast now that he put a hoof on his chest as if to hold his heart in.
Right as his father was going to tear the blanket away a loud bang sounded from downstairs. Cinder saw his father run to investigate. Cinder heard voices from down stairs. “Take anything that looks of value, scavenge any food while you’re at it--- HEY YOU! Grab him guys!”
Shining face went pale he raced away from the stairs two ponies, ruffled and could tell hadn’t gotten a bath in weeks, ran up the stairs, one of them a unicorn was levitating a dagger that had hooks and teeth all over it. They cornered Shining on the other side of the room. Crystal now stuck her head out from the curtains to see what the commotion was screamed when she saw the ponies. The dagger wielding pony without hesitation flipped around and flung the dagger deep into her chest.
She fell to the ground the dagger was pulled from her chest. Cinder, frozen in fear looked at his mother. She looked back at him with a blank stare, the usual shine in her eye gone and replaced with a dull blur.
His father was yelling at this point. The strange ponies pinned his father to the ground and thrust the dagger into his side. Cinder watched in horror as his father slumped over on his side.
The strange ponies stood up and ran down the stairs after some commotion down stairs the house grew silent once more.
Cinder crawled out from under his bed in sped over to his father’s side.
“DAD!” Cinder cried.
His father coughed looked into his sons eye and whispered a single praise, “I love you too son.”
Shining eyes closed and he let out his last breath.
Cinder let out a loud cry and put his head by his father’s.
Cinder looked to his father’s side and saw the knife.
Cinder hated that knife he hated the ponies that brought it. He grabbed the handle in his teeth pulled it from his father’s side and flung it across the room. It slid across the floor and under his bed. He then curled up right where he sat by his father and cried himself to sleep.
~~~
Cinder woke with a start when he heard the front door open with a creak.
His mind flew to the worst conclusion. Oh no the bad ponies are back!
Then he heard a familiar voice call out, “Shining? Crystal? Cinder? Is anyone home?”
Cinder flew down the stairs to meet the sight of a familiar pegasus.
“Cloud Runner!” Cinder cried out, as he ran and embraced his father’s friend. “I’m so sorry.”
“What happened Cinder?” He insisted.
Cinder couldn’t speak however all he did was point a hoof towards the stairs.
Cloud Runner walked for the stairs with Cinder hiding behind him.
When he reached the top of the stairs he saw his friend lying there. He ran to his friends side but his head dropped when he felt that his friend had already gone cold. When he looked up, pain was visible in his eyes.
“Let’s go over to my home Cinder.” He said as he got up and moved for the stairs.
The both walked to the house next door to the Star home.
“Sit there Cinder.” Cloud Runner said, pointing to a sofa on the far side of the room, grief thick in his voice.
“What’s wrong dear?” a pegasus mare walked from the kitchen.
In a hushed voice though still heard by the young colt, “Rose, Cinder’s parents are dead, murdered, I’m going to go report it to the guard.”
“Oh great Maker,” Rose said.
Cloud Runner went out the door and took to the sky while Rose walked towards Cinder.
She sat next to him laid a wing over him and pulled him into a hug. She said in the softest voice she possibly could, “It will be ok.”
With that Cinder cried out and let the feelings he had dammed up inside himself break. He just let his feelings flow.