• Published 24th Sep 2013
  • 546 Views, 31 Comments

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Scootadad! - Adorned ungulate



Some characters are interesting due to what we don't know about them. What is the deal with Scootaloo's parents anyhow? Is she really a disabled orphan? This story presents one possible answer.

  • ...
0
 31
 546

Chapter 9: Confrontation

"Is it time? Is it ready? Can I put it on?"

"It's still a bit early, Scootaloo but its ready."

"Help me put it on, this is going to be awesome!"

"Alright, hold still... Get your legs through. Ok now the headpiece."

"How do I look, dad? Terrifying? Grrrr!"

"Scariest little wolf I've ever seen."

"Don't call me little. I'll Eat. You. Up!"

"Nightmare Moon will never recognize you when she flies over tonight."

"Daad, Nightmare Moon is gone forever, remember?"

"Yeah, it's funny. You used to tell me I was being silly and that she didn't exist when I would tell you that, then we found out she was in fact real. Now we know such old foal's tales walk Equesria but this particular one no more."

"Don't get all professor on me, dad."

"What are you going to do tonight?"

"Daad."

"Scootaloo..."

"Stick with my group and the parents."

"No wandering off and going crusading."

"Yes, dad."

"Are you going to give a bit of your candy as an offering to Nightmare Moon?"

"If I Must."

"I hope you have fun. Be safe on the carnival rides and games."

"Okay."

"And no mean pranks."

"Yes, dad..."

"Even if Rainbow Dash is out there pulling mean pranks."

"Okay, okay."

"Now get your bag. I don't care how much candy you eat just this one night a year but if you eat it all you won't have any tomorrow and you'll regret it."

"Alright!"

"And Scootaloo, I want you to know you'll always have a family and that we'll always love you."

"Uh, okay. See you later, dad!"

"I'd ask for a kiss but you have ferocious fangs."

"Bye dad, Happy Nightmare Night!"

I watched her hurry into town, her candy bag held in her muzzle. Looked like a wolf was eating her almost. So much youthful energy in that one. I mulled over what Discord had told me about her, and then what he told me about myself. Okay I'll take a shot of apple brandy and then do what needs to be done.

I made my way into Vervain's bedroom with my stomach a hard knot. Everything told me to avoid this talk once more but I shut the worries down. She was putting on makeup.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting ready to go out. Did Scootaloo's costume fit okay?"

"Vervain, months ago we talked about how long you and Needles were going to stay here. We agreed until the end of this month was appropriate. It's the end of this month."

She shot an angry look, advancing the emotional ante, a familiar tactic. "You really want to get into this now?"

"I want to talk and I want you to listen. This is not an arguement." I paused to catch my breath. "I can't keep supporting you two. It's not even a question of not wanting to, I can't. I cant keep paying bills at this rate. I can't live my life like this always stretched too thin. Too often I have to make the choice between spending what little bits I have left on groceries for all of us or dog food. And I always choose dog food."

"Martin, you know I'm trying my hardest to get out of here!"

"I know, but I need results. I need you to make plans, and act on them. Soon. I can't live on the edge anymore. If our landlord finds out Needles is here, or that we have the number of pets we have our daughter will be homeless. We'll all be kicked out. I can't keep paying rent for all three adults here, doing all the chores, caring for the pets. It's too much for me. I've got no time for my life. No room for intimacy much less romance. I will still pay off out shared debt, your healthcare, and give you our agreed upon money each month but you can't live here. What you've asked me to do is not fair. It's not right. You don't have to be gone tomorrow but make plans. Soon, Vervain."

"Thank you, Martin. Thank you for ruining my bucking night."

Calmly closing the door and moving to my own bedroom was my best option. There was a loud thud as she began throwing things and shouting. Predictable. I let the guilt wash off of me. I have my limits and I've been living beyond them for too long.

There would likely be more arguments but I had steeled myself. Hopefully she would go out and blow off some steam with Needles instead and I can look forward to getting a sugared-up filly to bed later. I can't recall the last time her mother put Scootaloo to bed, brushed her teeth, got her ready for school in the morning, helped her with her homework or read her a bedtime story. I'd never keep Vervain from her daughter but I was fully expecting her to live with me most of the time.





A week or so after Nightmare Night I noticed Scootaloo was in a sour mood. Luckily Applejack had given me a heads up regarding what day it was and I had done some preparations.

"Sweetie, are you going crusading today?"

"No." She bounced a ball against the bedroom wall. "A. B. and Sweetie are busy..."

"Why don't you go out to lunch with me and Thunderlane then? We are expecting company."

She curled up on the bed and addressed me in a forlorn voice. "Not hungry."

"Come on, honey bunch. Don't let yourself get kooked up all day." I nudged her with my muzzle. She sighed and sulked off after me.

We waited in the living room until there was a knock on the door. Thunderlane gave me a big grin. "Afternoon, Martin. Ready?"

"Sure thing, let's go, Scootaloo."

She plodded out the door until she spotted the fourth member of our lunch date, gasped, and hid behind my legs to compose herself no doubt. Rainbow Dash was pawing at the ground impatiently and looking up at the clouds. "Afternoon, Rainbow. Worried about the weather?"

"Nah. Cirrus uncinus like these wont bother anypony but worth keeping an eye on. You guys ready? I'm hungry and lunch break ends sooner than I'd like."

"Sure, lets get going... Hey, I'm sure my daughter would love to hear if you're working on some new stunts."

The speedster seemed to brighten up with the promise of an audience. "Oh heya, squirt. Wanna hear about how I pull off a triple loop followed by a corkscrew barrel roll?"

"Yeah, sure!" She beamed. Maybe next year Sisterhooves Social day will not be an occasion to skulk.

Author's Note:

This chapter is dedicated to anyone who needs to initiate a conversation like this.