• Published 24th Sep 2013
  • 546 Views, 31 Comments

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Scootadad! - Adorned ungulate



Some characters are interesting due to what we don't know about them. What is the deal with Scootaloo's parents anyhow? Is she really a disabled orphan? This story presents one possible answer.

  • ...
0
 31
 546

Chapter 10: Heroines and Pancakes

Eventually we had a bedroom free. Rather than find a roommate which was perhaps the fiscally responsible thing to do I was spending a lazy weekend afternoon helping Scootaloo decorate her reclaimed bedroom. The 'Mysterious Mare-Do-Well' posters were beginning to outnumber those of the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash.

"What is it you admire about these ponies, honey bunch?"

"They're brave and help people out. And they're super cool fliers!"

"Is that what you want to do with your life?"

She wrinkled her muzzle. "I don't know, dad. Did you want to work for the library when you were my age?"

"That's something I kind of fell into."

"Then why are you bugging me about my posters?"

"I'm just trying to understand your goals. Do you want to help ponies when you grow up?"

"I guess."

"Do you want to be admired and looked up to?"

"Doing awesome stunts? You bet!"

"Keep at it and I'm sure you will, kiddo." I ruffled her mane. "Maybe you can show me your new moves after we get you settled in."

"Do you think I'll ever fly as good at Rainbow Dash or save lives like Mare Do Well?"

I chose my words carefully. "Sometimes I envision you soaring through the air. Sometimes tearing across the roads in a fancy roadster scooter. Whichever ends up being closer to reality I certainly know nopony will be able to keep up with you, Scoots. You're a pony on her way to do amazing things, very fast. Just be patient awaiting that journey, okay?"

She nodded and went back to hanging posters. "Now that I've got my own room I think this calls for a sleepover."

"Maybe you should ask your dad for permission."

"Daad, can I have my friends over soon?"

"And how do you ask?"

"Please?"

"How about having them over for dinner? I know how Cutie Mark Crusader sleepovers go down. We just got the place cleaned up."

"Sure thing, dad. Lets spread the word!"





Permissions were granted and I went to the market for supplies. I was putting groceries away when I heard the door bang open and three giggling fillies hurry through the house. The door had just closed when booming young voices caused every mantelpiece to rattle. "CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS DINNER PARTY AT SCOOTALOOS' HOUSE YAY!"

I chuckled and made sure none of the eggs had broken. The pancakes made with some old almond flour I found in the freezer were such a big hit when Scootaloo had requested 'breakfast for dinner' the other night she had asked for it to be tonight's fare.

After a few minutes and some concerning loud noises from the bedroom I chanced a glance at their play. Apple Bloom was laughing like a film serial villain whilst wearing a false mustache she likely liberated from Spike, backing Sweetie off the edge of My daughters' low twin bed. She fell with a dramatic cry but Scoots came rocketing out, wings buzzing, wearing her crusader cape and my fedora (a remnant from my ill-spent youth). She didn't catch her fair maiden as much as cushion her fall with a loud 'umph'.

"Oh thank you, Mare Do Well!"

"Whilst the heroine is distracted I'm gonna rob this here bank!" Schemed Apple Bloom, accosting a nearby teddy bear. "No alarms, no dye packs. Put the money in the bag!"

Her act seemed amazingly true to life, maybe she picked it up through stories from her sheriff cousin.

"Hold it right there, thief! I'm gonna make you answer for your crimes."

"Can I be the Mare next? You always make me be the lady in this dress."

"That's distress, Sweetie Belle."

"I thought I was the dictionary. And I am in the dress..."

I let them sort the roles out while I prepped some sliced berries. for dinner.

A few minutes later three zipping sounds preceded the arrival of the girls.

Zip. "Hey, dad. Is dinner ready?"

Zip. "Ooh! Can I help out!"

Zip. "Don let her help less you wanna test your smoke detector."

"Hey, I've gotten a lot better with practice, loopdy hoop head!"

I interrupted before a brawl began. "You all can help if you want. Can somepony get me the big glass bowl from under the counter, carefully?"

I showed them the proper way to use a whisk and even let each of them spoon their pancake batter onto the frying pan. We didn't have a griddle, regrettably. There was some competition and subsequent good natured teasing along with a food fight that I stopped before it got out of hand. It was decided I was to have the first few which had turned out a tad brown. Once we were cleaned up we all four sat down to our meal.

"How's are your families doing Sweetie, Apple Bloom?"

"My mom and dad are still pretty wrapped up in the hoofball season and Rarity is preparing for her "Canterlot debut'." The little unicorn made added a bit of dramatic flourish. Must remember to count all three out of the CMC cleanup team meetings for the next three weeks.

"All us Apples are grearing up for cider season. Oh!" She jabbed Scootaloo in the ribs. "I found Smarty Pants in Mac's room again. This time it'll take him weeks to find it I bet."

Sweetie stuck her muzzle in the air. "I think it's ghastly how you tease your brother." Her sister was rubbing off on her the more time they spent together.

"Aw, c'mon. I don't care if Mac has dolls! It's just That doll. Creeps me out! I keep worrying it'll try to take over everypony's mind again."

"That was Twilight's want-it-need-it spell that did that not the doll."

My daughter piped in. "You're just sore cause you really liked its mane. Creepy old thing."

Apple Bloom wrinkled her nose, perhaps not willing to continue another meandering Sweetie Belle semantics argument. "How bout you, Scoots? How's yer mom?"

I tensed automatically but Scootaloo brushed it off. "She's fine. She's just across town so I still see her everyday, nearly. Likely wont be telling her she missed out on pancakes again, though!" They giggled.

She was taking this all remarkably well. I had to wonder if it was because her mother had distanced herself one way or another from her daughter ever since she weaned or if this was just the brave facade Discord hinted at. Either way it'll probably emotionally rebound on her when she's a few years older, on the cusp if becoming a mare.

If her mother's behavior and now absence never affected her that would actually be kind of sad.




The Mare Do Well craze was fated to fade quickly. A few days after Rainbow crashed her ceremony posters, costumes, and other merchandise vanished from the marketplace. Details were hard to confirm. Most ponies agreed that hot headed Dash unmasked the heroine in a fit of jealousy. But it was in a dark alley with few witnesses. Most people suspected it was her fellow Elements teaching her a lesson but theories abounded as to the identity of the one or more mares involved. Some thought Celestia alone was behind it. Snips was very vocal in his theory that it was a group headed by The Great and Powerful Trixie (though Raindrops, Cheerilee, and Carrot Top vehemently denied they were involved). At least Rainbow Dash toned down her showboating somewhat since the very public embarrassment.

One afternoon I noticed Scootaloo had not taken the Mare posters down as so many others had. "Why the Mysterious Mare posters, honey bunch? Are you hoping she'll return one day?"

She turned to me, her eyes glinting. "That's the best thing about the Mare Do Well, dad. She could be anypony, even me."

Author's Note:

Snips and Snails are such big fanboys of Trixie they can see into the Lunaverse.

This one is dedicated to comic book fans and creators everywhere.