• Published 24th Sep 2013
  • 546 Views, 31 Comments

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Scootadad! - Adorned ungulate



Some characters are interesting due to what we don't know about them. What is the deal with Scootaloo's parents anyhow? Is she really a disabled orphan? This story presents one possible answer.

  • ...
0
 31
 546

Chapter 4: Longest Night, Summer Sun

Miss Rarity has warmed me about her father's cooking. Why didn't I listen to her? Now I was walking through the festival crowds with an unholy slurry of cider, veggie dogs, bean burgers and chili in my belly chasing two excited fillies. Since her parents were entertaining guests we took Sweetie into town to see the Summer Sun Celebration sights.

I slowed by the music tents. "Hold on, honey bunch. I want to see if Cats is playing. I think you'd like her."

Scootaloo skidded to a stop and quirked an ear as she addressed me. "A pony named 'Cats'? What's her cutie mark?"

"It's more a stage name, really..."

"Look, Scoots!" Sweetie squeaked out. "The storyteller's here."

"Ah can we see him, dad?" I looked up. A mustachioed stallion wearing a curious feathered cap was holding court in one of the smaller tents. I nodded my acceptance and they hurried to join the other youngsters gathered about.

"Ah, come closer everypony. I'll tell you the tale of the brave young pegasus who battled the mighty Chimera!"

I smiled and joined the herd of parents milling about on the outskirts. A few minutes into his tale I heard a quiet voice calling my name. I turned and there stood my ex-marefriend, her sandy blond mane spilling out the black hoodie she wore while working.

"Hey, Stage..."

We stared at each other for a moment then I drew her into a long cautious hug.

"H-how're you doing?"

"You know how I'm doing, Stage. It's you who won't answer my letters."

She looked crestfallen. "I know. I'm stupid."

"No, you are not. I understand. I always have... Look, I'm working on things. Okay? Are you holding up alright?"

She looked at her hooves. "Keeping busy, as usual. Look, I know we need to talk. But I've got..." She motioned to the tent behind her. "You know."

"I know."

"Scoots doing alright?"

"Yeah," I gestured to the storyteller's tent with my muzzle. "She asks about you sometimes.

"Tell her I said 'hi', and take care." She looked like she wanted to say more but instead gave me a lingering hug before raising the tent flap behind her with her magic and rushing into the darkness. I longed for her, I wanted so much to give us another chance but looking at the spot she had been all I could see was the bouquet I bought her for Hearts and Hooves Day. It sat on my dining room table unclaimed and desiccating until most of the petals had fallen and it was just a lot of dead flowers.

I heard somepony call out my name, in a moment of dread I wondered if it was Vervain or another of my exes and all the chickens were coming home to roost but it was my new drinking partner flanked likely by a few of her musician friends. There was a rather scruffy griffon with an incongruently natty top hat and a cute stallion looking inscrutably at me from between a silky long hot pink mane.

I didn't have much time to take them in before Cats spoke. "Was that her, the unicorn you've been mooning over?"

I nodded. Cats looked like she had more to comment but let it be. "This is the guy I told you about," she addressed the griffon. "The sad sack."

"Wha?" She nudged him in the ribs. "Oh, hey sad sack."

"Wanna take your mind off her with some carousing, just us guys?" The stallion snickered at that.

"I'd love to but I need to look after my daughter and her friend." I pointed again.

"The orange one is your little chick? I can see the resemblance. See you around, then. Happy Summer Sun."

I waved them off with a little regret and wondered what sort of trouble they'd get into. This was turning into a long, weird, and exhausting night.

And then a bit later Nightmare Moon came back.




Frantically I called for Scootaloo. Everypony was rushing a miniature stampede about the confines of Town Hall and I couldn't see far in front of me.

"Dad!" There she was! My daughter leapt up and almost knocked me over. Only later did I realize she flew over two pony lengths to wrap her arms around my neck. It would have been a cause to celebrate in any other context.

"Dad, I'm scared."

"I am too, honey bunch." It's best not to lie in these sorts of situations. "Let's get somewhere safe and find mom."

She looked thoughtful for a moment. "Dad, we need to help Sweetie."

I looked in the direction she had bolted and saw her friend. Scootaloo was frightened but Sweetie Belle had clearly crumbled. Tears were running down her cheeks as her eyes stared unfocused and confused. "Come on, both of you get on my back. Sweetie! Come with us and I'll take you home."

I managed to get the two fillies on my back. The white unicorn gradually eased from unresponsive to grasping onto my neck, shivering and sobbing while my daughter rode behind her and tried to calm her down. Frequently she reminds me of her mother but I could see my influence. Good in a crisis like daddy but she was dodging her own fear by focusing on easing someone else's. I didn't know wether to be proud or lament her making the same mistakes. I shook it off and worked on navigating through the panicked crowds flocking the exit of Town Hall and finding a quiet side street.

"N-nightmare Moon gobbled my sister up! She was right there. Rarity!"

I stopped for a moment and turned my head. I tried on my deep-but-caring dad voice hoping it would cut through her worry. "Sweetie. I saw your sister leave with that purple unicorn, the one who stood up for us. Do you know who that was? Twilight Sparkle, personal student to the princess. She's the smartest pony I know. She's the smartest hoofed animal I know! If anyone can keep Rarity safe and bring the princess back it's her."

I knew Miss Sparkle through my job, the mare who's eclectic scholarly interests accounted for at least thirty percent of my workload. I simultaneously was grateful for the job security and cursed her for causing me to travel all over Equestria on her behalf.

Scootaloo chimed in,"Yeah, she seemed really brave. Did you see how she spoke to that monster?"

"Besides," I said, "do you think Rarity would let ANYpony push her around?"

The shivering slackened a bit as I made my way through town. Panic had died down. Ponies were wandering about looking at the sky confused. Where was Celestia? Why had the sun not rising? The alarmed twittering of birds and barking of dogs showed that lesser animals were not immune to these omissions.

We found Sweetie's parents in their front yard, her father keeping watch with a lantern in hoof. Soon she was scooped up in their loving embrace, doting on her and offering their thanks. "Your eldest is safe too, but she ran off to help Celestia's representative."

"Our Rare help against a monster?" Her mother cocked her head to the side trying to visualize the fashionista in combat no doubt before worry slipped back in. "Thanks for letting us know, and for bringing our baby back to us."

After relating events of the disastrous celebration at least three times and debating what to do next Scoots and I left for our apartment, the burden of two fillies on my back exchanged for a bundle of barbecue leftovers and cookies. I watched my daughter out of the corner of my eye as she carefully checked each shadow we passed.

"Dad, you really think Rarity will be okay?"

"I hope so, darling."

She grinned after a stray thought took hold. "You should marry Miss Rarity, then Sweetie and I will be sisters and we could have sleepovers every week!"

"Honey bunch, if I married Miss Rarity Sweetie Belle would be your auntie and if you lived at Carousel Boutique Rarity would have you model all the frilly pink silk dresses she sells to the rich fillies."

Daddy, Don't marry Miss Rarity!"

This coaxed the first honest chuckle of the evening. Seems even my daughter had picked up on my romantic preference for unicorn mares.

We found an empty apartment aside for two excited dogs. Likely I had a mess to clean up later but for now I had other priorities. "Mommy is probably out searching for us. You've been up all night and even though the sun hasn't come you should get some sleep."

"But dad, what about Nightmare Moon?"

"I'll be here to protect you, dear. Come on, lets brush those teeth. Do you want a story?" She shook her head. A lot of overwhelming thoughts and feelings were coursing through her head judging from her expression. Negotiations were held concerning the importance of oral hygiene in this state of emergency but eventually I was curled up with her on one of the beds.

"Do you want me to sing for you, Scootaloo?"

"Daad." She frowned and fidgeted as she fought off fatigue.

"You used to love it when I sang to you. Have I ever told you about the night you were born?" She grumbled. We both knew full well I had related the tale dozens of times and this was fatherly ritual. "Mommy tried really hard all day but you were all curled up and she couldn't give birth to you. The doctors had to help her out. Funny now since you're always in a hurry to get where you need to go. I was there when you were born and the nurse gave you your first bath. I expected you to be all dirty but you were clean like a baby in a movie, hardly needed the bath at all! Then she gave me to you to hold. Mommy had to rest for a while so I took you to the nursery. I knew your mom wanted so much to finally meet you so I wouldn't let the nurses take you. I just rocked you for a long, long time and sang every song I could remember for you as you drifted in and out of sleep. I made up words sometimes. You were so patient waiting for mommy and your first meal. That very first night we stayed up to nearly dawn as well."

"And it snowed..." Scootaloo's eyelids drifted down as she recited this familiar rote.

I softly stroked her mane. "Yes, the first snowflakes of that winter drifted down the night you were born."

After I was sure she was asleep I waited in the living room. Sure enough Vervain bolted in a short time later shucking off her heels and cape but not bothering with her socks and other work clothes. "Where's my baby? I've got to be with my baby!"

"Sleeping." She made her way back and I looked over to where Needles was poking his head in the door. "I really need a smoke, want to give them some time and join me?"

We sat on the lawn for a few minutes. We weren't the only ponies looking up at the persistent purple star-filled sky and blank-faced moon.

"So you were like in Town Hall when it happened?"

"Yeah, it was pretty intense."

"It was really Nightmare Moon?"

"I don't know, but this creature had a presence to her unlike anything I've ever felt. And I've briefly met both princesses! I think the whole town felt it. Takes the wind out of your wings."

"Whoa, did you see that? Some kind of flash of light out in the Everfree Forest."

I took to the air and rose a few feet. "No, I don't see anything." We lived not far from the forest, it's black leafy bulk dominating the horizon. While I scanned for anything strange it finally occurred to me that the sky was brightening in the east. "Needles! I think morning has finally come."

"Thank Celestia!"

"No," I said under my breath. "Thank Twilight Sparkle..."

Author's Note:

This chapter is dedicated to my own little Scootaloo. I know you'll reach the sky one day.