• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 1,080 Views, 8 Comments

A Price - Serina



The Dream Realm is supposed to be sacred. A new law was put in place over a thousand years ago to make sure of this. My sister, she has broken this law and has payed the ultimate price.

  • ...
3
 8
 1,080

The Truth

“SISTER!” Luna’s voice rang out fin the empty stone hallway of the castle. The stomping of her hooves resounded through the narrow passage. She began to gallop faster, reaching her sister’s door to the balcony. She slammed her hoof on the door furiously. “Sister, let me in!”

There was silence for a moment and then a soft click could be heard as the door slowly opened to reveal Celestia’s bedroom. Luna trotted inside, a scroll suspended in mid air, surrounded by a blue aura. She looked around, not much had changed in the room since she had been banished. She shook her head, no need to get distracted now. She needed answers and she was going to get them.

She trotted to the glass doors and opened them, Celestia was sitting on the other side. Luna trotted out on the balcony and slammed the doors shut, causing a large crack to form on one of the doors.

Celestia stood up in shock. “Luna! Those are antiques! Please, be more careful.”

Luna scoffed. “I guess you care more about your precious doors than you do ponies!”

Celestia stuttered. “W-what do you-”

Luna unrolled the scroll. “Oh, don’t give me this innocent act, sister. I know what you did.” She shoved the scroll in her sister’s face. “All I want to know is, why?”

Celestia enveloped the scroll in a light yellow aura and pushed it away from her face. She straightened the piece of parchment and her eyes scanned the paper. She looked up. “Luna, these are just old death records. I don’t see why you are so upset-”

Luna snatched the paper back. “They’re the death records of my lieutenants! From the war. Every. Single. Pony. And every record on them says ‘Cause of Death: Unknown.’”

Celestia eyed her sister. “You know medical procedures were lacking during that time, sister.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed and she growled. “That still doesn’t account for why everypony died from a cause unknown.”

Celestia sighed and looked up at the raised moon. “You do not know what it was like after I banished you.”

Luna huffed. “Try me.”

Celestia leaned down and touched the tip of her horn to Luna’s and it began to glow a faint yellow. Within seconds they were surrounded small buildings. “You see, sister, when I banished you I thought harmony would return, but sadly I was mistaken. Celestia lifted her horn and a bright flash made the scenery around them change. The once peaceful buildings were now engulfed in flames, many ponies were running for their lives, as screams and crying could be heard from miles around.

She looked at her sister. Luna’s face was stricken in grief as a small pegasus foal fell in front of her, coughing up smoke. Luna reached down to try and help the little foal, only for her hoof to pass through him. “Do not bother, sister. It is only a memory.”

Luna’s eyes widened. “You saw all of this?”

Celestia nodded. “Without your leadership your forces diminished, but grew more aggressive. Your old lieutenants became the new leaders, but wished to try different methods of 'battle.'” Her horn glowed again and with a flash they were standing in a crowd, who were all cheering for six ponies standing on boxes in front.

Luna looked around and shook her head. “T-this can’t be right. Most of these ponies are bandits, petty thieves!”

Celestia sighed. “They grew desperate, Luna. That desperation clouded their judgement and ultimately caused their downfall.”

A large red stallion’s voice rang out from his place in front of the crowd. “Tonight, we take the castle! Tomorrow all of Equestria! Let everypony dream of us in their nightmares!”

The crowd cheered and stomped their hooves on the dirt. The ponies pulled out their daggers, spears, and some torches in protest. The leaders went back to their tents as the crowd began to disperse.

Both of the sisters stood there in silence. Then Celestia spoke quietly. “Luna, what you are about to see, please, do not let your anger blind you.”

Luna nodded.

Celestia then teleported them to a room as dark as night, in the corner there was a tiny candle. “I had to do something, to stop them.” The light from the candle slowly grew and began to illuminate the room. Books were scattered across the floor, a white mare was sitting in the middle of a strange white circle.

Luna gasped. “Is that-”

Celestia nodded. “I told you I had to stop them, The Dream Realm was the only answer.”

Luna stomped her hoof. “You know it is my duty as Princess of the Night to regulate dreams, besides as soon as I was banished it should have stayed closed, unable for dreams to be altered, until I returned.”

Celestia stared at her past self. “You are right. Even the Elders thought it was too dangerous to try and pry open, that is why the put a law in place.”

Luna cocked her head to the side in puzzlement. “What law?”

Celestia sighed. “The law of dreams. It states if anypony should try or manage to open the Dream Realm their life shall be taken.”

Luna shook her head. “But you’re still here. Did they not find out? Did you-” Suddenly a loud crackling could be heard followed along with what looked like black magic was escaping from the small circle. The young Celestia screamed as she was engulfed in black, the scream was cut short as she disappeared.

Luna shivered. “W-what happened?”

Celestia seemed unfazed. “I was transported to The Dream Realm where I killed your lieutenants.”

Luna shook. “How c-could you kill them? It was just a dream...”

Celestia turned to her sister. “No it’s not. Luna, if you die in The Dream Realm you die in real life. I had to make sure my little ponies were safe. Without the leaders, the small army soon fell to the royal guard and harmony, over the years, was slowly restored.” Her horn glowed softly as she and Luna were transported back to their on time on the balcony.

Luna shuffled her hooves. “I understand why you had to kill them, sister, but I still do not understand one thing.”

Celestia wrapped a wing around her younger sister. “And what is that?”

Luna sighed and looked up at Celestia. “If it was punishable by death to associate yourself with the Dream Realm while awake, then did you not get caught?”

Celestia shook her head. “No, I did.”

Luna tapped her chin. “Then why didn’t they kill you?”

“They did, Luna.”

Luna shook her head in confusion. “That makes no sense! You’re still alive!”

Celestia looked up at the stars. “I am, but I’m dying, sister.”

Luna’s jaw dropped. “B-but you and me are immortal.”

Celestia looked at her younger sister and nuzzled her head. “You are, but I payed the price for my disobedience. I do not regret it, but my time is coming soon.”

Luna looked at her sister, why had she never noticed the little wrinkles or the light fading from the usually perky eyes. Luna wiped a tear from her eye. “W-who will take your place?”

Celestia hugged her sister tight. “You will remain the Princess of the Night. For the day, I have already chosen a pony.

Luna’s eyes widened. “Who?”

Celestia softly smiled. “Just an old student of mine.” Celestia yawned. “I’m so sorry I did not tell you. I just did not want to worry you, that’s all.”

Luna hugged her sister. “It is okay, sister. I just wish to spend as much time with you as I can.” She released Celestia and opened the glass doors. “I have to check on the night guard, is that okay?”

Celestia nodded. “That is fine.” She watched her sister walk towards the door before calling out. “Luna?”

Luna turned her head. “Yes, sister?”

Celestia smiled softly. “May we have tea tomorrow?”

Luna nodded. “Of course, see you tomorrow.” Luna shut the door quietly and smiled as she trotted down the hallway. Her pupils dilated for a short second before breaking out into uncontrollable laughter.

Comments ( 8 )

Damn. That was impressive.

Nicely done, dude.

~Skeeter The Lurker

2940652
Thanks! Do you think putting one of the tags as Dark was okay? I wasn't sure if it was really dark or not... :twilightblush:

2941154

It works, actually.

~Skeeter The Lurker

The ideas in this were really good and fascinating, but overall I think the execution came off as a little bit rushed. There was so much good potential emotion in this you could have drawn out: Luna being angry that Celestia was keeping something from her, Celestia's anguish between telling her sister that she was dying and wanting to save her from the pain of her dark legacy. Hell, even after the reveal you have Luna's guilt, you have her shock upon realizing what was done and what that meant for Celestia. These are great emotional places for the journey of this story, but ultimately they felt rushed and glossed over.

Try to think about what the characters feel about your situation and think about what's important and what you want to the reader to remember about the story. I'm sure with a little thought, there's a lot of excellent stories on the way from you.:raritywink:

Ha, do I sense a little motivation brought on by the s4 demo reel? :pinkiehappy: I agree with Lady Grey as the story's plot was rushed, but you made it fit well. Good job! I really like this idea a lot!

“I was transported to The Dream Realm
where I killed your lieutenants.”

Luna shook. “How c-could you kill them? It was just a dream...”

Celestia turned to her sister. “No it’s not. Luna, if you die in The Dream Realm you die in real life.

LOL just realized Celestia is Freddy Kruger.

Luna nodded. “Of course, see you tomorrow.” Luna shut the door quietly and smiled as she trotted down the hallway. Her pupils dilated for a short second before breaking out into uncontrollable laughter.

Nightmare Moon?

Login or register to comment