• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 623 Views, 20 Comments

Sides of the Same Coin - Ventan



Max woke up to find out that Scootaloo rescued him from the Everfree Forest. Sense then, he hangs around Scootaloo and the CMC only to find out that he might have feelings for a certain filly.

  • ...
12
 20
 623

... then there was forgiveness...

Scootaloo stared in shock as Sweetie Bell and Max walked through the door of the school. She had shock, fright, and relief emotions all mixed together. She wasn’t sure what to feel. She’s shocked that Max would come here, scared that he would turn into… that again, but also relief that he’s ok.

Max was observing the place until they met eyes for a second. Max quickly turned his head to look away from Scootaloo. She thought for a second that Max blushed before Miss Cherilee walked through the door.

“Ok class, today we are going to learn about-“ Cherilee said, but was stopped when she sees a new colt in her class, “Oh, and who might you be?” Cherilee asked.

“Miss Cherilee! He’s new here” Sweetie Bell answerd.

Well, that threw Scootaloo off. Does Max really want to join the class? Scootaloo’s question was confirmed.

“Yes, I recently , er, moved here.” Max lied.

“That’s a load of bull,” Scootaloo thought, but decided to keep it to herself.

“Oh, then why don’t you introduce yourself,” Cherilee asked.

“Guess he really is joining this class,” Scootaloo thought.

He walked up in front of the class, next to Miss Cherilee, coughed a little for preparation, and began.

“Hello, everyone. My name is-“

Then, the Aurora bolted up as if her seat was electrocuted.

“Max...” the green filly muttered loudly.

“Um… yes?” he asked

“How does Aurora know Max?” Scootaloo wondered.

Aurora was a new student two days ago. Applebloom founded her in the Sweat Apples Acre a day before that. Apparently, she was separated with her companion after they were chased by a timberwolf. She ran away while her companion tries to stall the timberwolf. Running as fast as she could and before she knew it, she reached Sweet Apples Acre. There, she fell asleep due to tiredness. When she woke up, she wrapped in a blanket and next to her was Applebloom. Like that, she was quickly accepted into the Apples family. When Applejack asked her where she’s from, she said that she prefer not to talk about it. Since then, she rested under a tree though the Apple family insisted that she rests in their home. She rejected, saying that she prefers to be outside then under a roof. With much persuading and rejecting later, she rested under a tree, though the family suggests that she should have at least a blanket in case it gets cold. Aurora agreed to the term.

Then, two days ago, Applebloom asked Aurora if she wanted to go to school. Aurora was still tired, but said yes because she was interested in what they learned here. So, with that, Aurora was a new student until Max came. Not only that, but the fact that Aurora knows Max was a surprise all together.

Before Scootaloo continues her thought, Aurora ran up to Max and tackle hugged him.

“I can’t believe it! It’s really you! I’m not dreaming, am I?” the Aurora cried while hugging Max.

“Um… Aurora, right?” Max said. The way he said that made Scootaloo doubt that Max knows Aurora. Does he really know Aurora? Is he the companion that Aurora mentioned?

“You… don’t remember me,” Aurora asked with a hurt face. She looked like she was actually crying.

Wow. So she really knows Max, that’s for sure.

“No, it’s… great to see you again. That’s all,” Max lied. Even Scootaloo can tell that’s a lie.

A wide smile formed around Aurora’s face and continued to squeeze Max. He used his last breath to cough, signaling Aurora that she is making a scene. She got up and looked around. All eyes are on the pair, even Miss Cherilee’s. She quickly got up and tries to compose herself as much as she can while Max slowly got up, trying to catch some air Aurora squeezed out of him. The silence felt forever until Miss Cherilee broke with a cough.

“Well,” Miss Chierilee began, “that was, um, quite a show you two, but we have a class to start. Since you two seem to have a lot to catch up, Max, why don’t you sit next to Aurora? But no talking during lessons, ok?”

“Yes miss,” Max managed to say, still recovering from her hug. Really? Man up, you colt.

Max followed Aurora to her seat and sat next to the empty desk next to her. With that, class began and Max put his head down. “Is he sleeping?” Scootaloo thought.

She felt a nudge on her wing and turned to see Sweetie Bell passing her a note (here we go again). She grabed the note and opened it. It said: “Hey, so what do you think of the new guy?”

Scootaloo quickly scribbled, “I know the new guy. I found him after all.”

She folded the note and skillfully passed the note, which was to fold it on her wing and stretched her wing to Sweetie Bell. Sweetie Bell read the note, scribbled, and folded the note on Scootaloo’s wing. She felt the message and retracted her wing to get the note.

She opened up the note and read, “How did you find him? Did you know he was really depressed before he came here? Poor kid. Wonder what happened?”

Scootaloo easily answered the first question: She found him in the Everfree Forest. The second one took Scootaloo a moment to answer, because she doesn’t know how to respond to that. The third question took Scootaloo a longer time to explain, mainly because she was shaking due to her remembering the incident.

So she folded the note and passed it to Sweetie Bell. It took a while for Sweetie Bell to read and realize that she accidently brought a defender against Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, but also a monster into the school. But then again, can monsters cry in sorrow? Max was crying in the bush when Sweetie Bell found him. Does that mean that he is a kind monster? The endless imaginative possibilities ran through Sweetie Bell’s mind.

Scootaloo was still recovering from the… incident. It looked like Max(?) wanted to kill her; make her wish she was never born. If Silver Spoon hadn’t yelled, then he actually would’ve…

She shook her head away from the thought. Right now, she is in class. She should be… stretching? Scootaloo heard a yawn as if somepony woke up from a nap. Max. She turned and the fear flooded her every fiber. It’s… that Max.

Max (it’s Xam, but this is Scoot’s POV so she thinks it’s Max) yawned and streached, making all eyes on him. Even Miss Cherilee.

“Max, since you have the curtsey to interrupt the class, why don’t you answer this question?” she said, pointing at the board. It was question #3: earth ponies. She looked back at Max to see him… not impressed? Max just stared at the question, moving his eyes back and forth before answering.

“It’s the whole body, Miss Cherilee. An earth pony is known for their strength and stamina. Also farming, but that’s another story.” Xam stated, mater of factly.

“Thank you, Max,” Miss Cherilee said with a sigh. Scootaloo looked back at Miss Cherilee, who is strangely tired.

As class continued, Scootaloo felt a nudge on her wing. Notes again. She took the note and read: “Why is the new guy’s color different?” Scootaloo simply wrote, “Atfter class. I’ll tell you during recess.”

After class

The CMC met up and Scootaloo filled Applebloom and Sweetie Bell in and explained everything that happened during the two days.

“So, yer sayin’ that that guy is a monster?” Applebloom asked. She pointed at Max, who was with Aurora, “But the guy is talk’n to Aurora, an’ he doesn’t seem to be harmful.”

“Though it’s weird,” pointed out Sweetie Bell, ”I found him crying in a bush. He looked devastated.”

“Maybe he jus’ fell guilty ‘s all,” Applebloom wondered, “You ok, Scoots?”

Scootaloo was staring at Max the whole time, not even looking away to look at Applebloom. “What? Oh, yea…” Scootaloo trailed off.

Sweetie Bell and Applebloom looked at each other and raised an eyebrow. Scootaloo never did this before. She just kept on staring at Max, like he was going to do something. Sweetie Bell signaled Applebloom to block her view. She got the message and walked in front of Scootaloo’s view.

“You ok there, Scoots?” she asked.

Scootaloo shook her head, snapping herself out of it. “Why am I staring at that colt?” Scootaloo wondered. She’s still afraid of him, but for some reason he is less scary then before. If anything, he looks…cute…

“What!?” Scootaloo shook her head, twice, as to what did she just thought, ”Why am I thinking that!? He’s a…a… gentle colt.” She started to cave in on the thought; the thought of the fact that maybe, just maybe, that she actually… likes him.

“I mean… he did protect me against Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. He did that to protect… me.”

As she continues to think that, the idea of him being scary slowly drifted out of her mind.

Her attention was brought back when Applebloom booped her nose.

“Yes?” Scootaloo asked, a little annoyed.

“Ah said ‘are you ok?’ Seriously, are you ok or some’n? You’ve been spacing out ever since the new guy-“

“His name’s Max,” Scootaloo said.

“Ok. You’ve been starin’ at Max the whole time. What’s gotten into you?”

“I think she’s in love,” Sweetie Bell said, ”She’s been staring at him for a long time. Don’t you think it’s suspicious, Applebloom?”

Scootaloo was about to defend until a voice spoke: “Um, can I, uh, join your crusade?”

They turned to see Aurora… with Max.

There was a long, long pause before Max spoke. “Um, and if possible, can I join too?”

When he spoke, Scootaloo was shocked. His voice was so… calm. It’s as if he’s the same, but also different.

“Sure!” Applebloom said, cutting Scootaloo’s train of thought, ”You and Max can-“

“It’s Xam,” Xam cut in, “If I look like this, my name is Xam. I’m sorry if this confuses you.”

“Oh, ok,” Applebloom said, still confused as to why Max, er, Xam would want to do that. But she dropped the subject; learned from Applejack.

“So,” Xam said, “After school and all, how do we join your crusade?”

This time, Scootaloo spoke.

“You don’t have to do anything. You guys are welcomed anytime.”

“Yea!”

That time, Sweetie Bell spoke.

“Alright! So it’s official,” Xam said, “we’ll meet at the… tree house?”

“Yep,” Scootaloo said, “That’s our club house. We’ll meet you there after scool.”

After school, at the club house after initiations (I’m too lazy :3)

“All right! New members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders! You are officially the new members of the crusade!” Applebloom announced.

Xam and Aurora look around the tree house and were surprised at the architect. As they awed in amazement, Xam decided to take his plan into action.

“I have an announcement to make! Applebloom, may I take the podium?” Xam asked.

Applebloom was a little skeptic as to what is he doing, but decides to let Xam do what he wants. She stepped down the podium and Xam got on.

“Ahem,” Xam coughed, ”I have an announcement to make. First, I would like to thant the Cutie Mark Crusaders for letting me and my childhood friend, Aurora, into your crusade. It is an honor. Second, I would like to clarify that Aurora and I do not want to talk about our past. So please, discard the thought of asking us. Lastly,” Xam slowly got down from the podium and walked to Scootaloo. He met eyes with her and she met eyes with him.

“What’s going on,” Scootaloo thought. Xam was making her nervous, standing close to her and all.

“Lastly, I would like to say,” Xam paused for a moment, then continued, ”Thank you, Scootaloo, for saving me back at the Everfree Forest. And I’m really sorry you had to see that. I just wanted to protect you. I didn’t mean to scare you. So, all I’m asking is… can you forgive me?”

The tree house was quiet. The moment was so tense that you can cut it with a knife. Aurora stood there, hoping that she would say yes. Applebloom and Sweetie Bell stood there in shock. Scootaloo stood there, still staring at Xam’s eyes. They were honest and true. She knew that he really meant every word.

Finally, after a long pause, Scootaloo finally said, "Yes".

“Thank you,” Xam said. He closed his eyes and he started to change. His black coat to gray; his tail and mane went from red to black. He opened his eyes to reveal that it was from red to black.

“Thank you. And I’m so sorry.”

Max’s voice was shaky and shed a tear, which shocked everypony except Aurora. She knew him for a long time, so she was expecting Max to cry.

“He is such a crybaby,” Aurora thought with a smile, ”He may not remember me, but he will always be my little brother.” Aurora thought for a moment. “Well, like my little brother.”

Author's Note:

I hate writer's block. I really want to see this to the end, but writer's block keeps coming in.
I'm going to come back to this story in August 30. Mainly because I need to refuel my imagination. If I posted any stories beforehand, then that means that I came up with an idea and need to get it out of my head.
Lastly, CRITIQUE!!!!! PLEASE, I NEED THE CRITIQUE!!!! but please don't be blunt. I do actually want to learn what are my mistakes. Characters, grammar, edit anything, etc. Anything would help. Please don't hold back.