• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 743 Views, 16 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Voyage Of The Exiles - StereoNote



I pondered as a foal gazing out at the shimmering stars…could the princesses be saved from the cruelty of the rebellion that my parents created? No, It was inevitable… the bombs had to fall.

  • ...
3
 16
 743

A Sudden Ambush

I folded the ragged duster laid on my bed, and lightly placed the jacket inside a saddle I had by my side, I then placed a canteen next to my pistol and razor-sharp stilettos. My mind was set and my heart had long been waiting the day I could find anything about the rebellion. I gently cocked my father’s antique rifle and strapped it upon my back. Never in my life have I been more determined and convinced that there was a way to put an end to my irregularity and ignorance. A gentle knock from the door behind made my ear twitch slightly; when I turned Flare Heart was peeking inside.

“Are you leaving tonight?” she entered the room and tugged at the dismantled blinds.

“Yes, the sooner the better.” I guess I hadn’t thought that retort thoroughly, she looked back at me with worry and despair in her eyes. Without a warning she twirled around and slammed her hooves onto the wall beside the shades.

“Why wont you let me come?!” she yelled while her voice was breaking.

“Its just too dangerous…I don’t want you anywhere near-.” She shook her head rapidly and protested.

“I’m a grown mare! Tartarus below! I’m three years older than you!” I was shocked to hear that; I thought she was at least ten years older than me.

Instead of trying to negotiate, she used the ultimate weapon mares had, that stallions didn’t. Cry.
She just laid her body on the bed next to me, and began to weep quietly due to the covers she was on. I was an exception to this ultimate weapon; it was for her safety, What if she went and we were ambushed by a bunch of vipers or ghouls? I couldn’t live with myself knowing she would cry from true pain; the tears that come from physical pain, my mind was made up; she would not go.

I zipped the rim of my saddle and strapped it across my chest, ignoring her cries; no matter how much of a jerk it made me look. I silently closed the door behind me; it locked its bolt with an abrupt creak.

“I’m sorry Flare Heart.” I whispered, hoping she wouldn’t hear my apology.

I trotted down the stairs slowly; thinking about the events that were just placed in front of me…I could die! I hadn’t realized the outcomes of my adrenaline, and novice. I just pushed everything else aside in life and bet that the note I had would help me find my parents. But this was also for flare heart I thought, tapping down on the next step, for Silver Leaf too. I had to avenge his death.
I had finished the stairs quicker than I expected, and almost tripped.
Gideon chuckled as he stretched his body on the sofa in the front lobby. Pony Joe sat beside him, sharpening his axe, glaring at him angrily.

“Gang’s all here I guess.” Joe stated lifting the axe to his eye to measure the serration. Gideon yawned noisily and tilted forward to gaze at the clock hanging above me.

“I don’t see why we have to leave so early, I just wanted to sleep tonight…” he groaned and fell back against the couch caressing a pillow under his noggin.

“Because if we leave early, we are less likely to get mugged.” I paused and caught a glimpse at the clock, it presently stroke two. Gideon turned his body once more and slammed a pillow on his head to block out the chimes that echoed throughout the inn, while Joe honed his weapons. I noticed that most of them were filthy, and seemed, as though they haven’t been used in decades.

“So Joe, did you take it up with your wife? About the whole…might not be coming back thing?” I issued.
“Yeah, she took it pretty well though. I think she was happy to see me go away for a little.” He cackled at his own sarcasm. His answer led to another uncertainty I had in mind.

“Who’s gonna run the bar?” I posed, sliding onto the next sofa by him.

“Flare Heart said she’d take it over for a couple of days, and if she leaves; my son can take care of it.” I nodded my head slowly in comprehension.

The creaking of wood interrupted our brief discussion, Flare Heart trotted slowly down the steps, looking as if she were about to pass out; Her eyes were not the sapphires that usually shimmered their liveliness. Instead they looked more resembling to that of an endless black hole. She did not peep or make any resonance as she passed the darkened lobby and trekked into the next room.

“Glory Brimstone, What did you do to her?” Gideon smirked, “Did she ask you out or something?” A sudden deep aggression rose in my thoughts and emotions. Millions of feelings raced through my head. I unzipped my bag furiously, and pushed the jagged blade I had seized, into the coffee table in center of us. Gideon jumped, and Joe switched his eye position to me.

“Gideon! Shut your fat beak for once!” His eyes widened, and Joe looked perplexed.

“Whoa, whoa, chill pony!” Gideon calmly stated. “I was just joshing ya.” I bit the hilt of the blade on the table and pulled the knife to his throat.

“Don’t you ever joke about her feelings like that again!” He nodded his head gradually, and I spit the knife back into my pouch and closed it firmly.

“Look, we’re all just a little upset. We know that we could die on this journey and that’s not very enlightening, so instead of making enemies, we should just get used to each other.” I moped and curved my head away from Joe, still, he was accurate, and perhaps this is just getting to my head.

I peered at the timepiece behind the broken couch; it just struck the forty-five minute mark. I placed my hoof on my temple and massaged it in loops to ease the stress. The erythematic ticking of the clock above was the only entity that made any racket. Gideon had dozed off into a deep slumber, and Joe nibbled silently on his Pinkie Pie snack cakes.

“Ding…Dong…Ding…Dong” the clock hummed, my heart sunk drastically, was I ready for this? Gideon stretched his wings and Joe strapped his vest. Yes, I told myself. There’s no turning back; it is now time to wreak vengeance for Silver Leaf, for Flare Heart and for me.

“Alright, lets go…” I spoke unenthusiastically; Gideon grabbed his mace and placed in on his back. I inched my way slowly towards the entrance of the inn, each step I took, the more danger lies ahead, and I gulped nervously at the consideration of that. I opened the screen door with my hoof…

“Wait!” A voice squealed. When I turned, Flare Heart appeared behind me with an expensive looking necklace. The piece of jewelry seemed to be made from a dark ruby, its shape resembled a red cross; like from the old hospitals I would go to as a kid.

“That was my mother’s, you should take as a good luck charm.” I was shocked; Jewelry is pretty hard to find nowadays, she would give one of her most valuable possessions to me? Knowing that I might die! I attached the chain to my neck in front of her and I saw her grin through those teary eyes. That made me happy, the most I could do for her right now was make her smile, and a smile is all that it takes to go distances.

The night was breathtaking; stars aligned the heavens, and the moon shimmered brilliantly over the Macintosh Mountains. How could a world filled with such beauty, succumb to such violence and hatred. The night was the only time that Equestria could possibly spread its divine beauty.

“All right Brimstone, where are we headed to first?” He shattered my thoughts and brought me back to reality.

“Oh umm…well we’re going to cut through town and head north until we reach the Everfree forre-.”

“Oh, nonononono.” Gideon argued, “I am not going through that spit soaked, Tartarus hol-.” I hoofed his beak.

“You didn’t let me finish!” I let go of him and conversed calmly.

“Once we hit the Everfree forest, we will head straight west until we reach Ghastly Gorge. After that there should be a river nearby that we can float up to Dragonvil-.” Gideon cringed, gave a fake heart attack charade, and started breathing rapidly.

“No offense kid, but I think we should avoid Dragonville.” Joe slapped Gideon on the spine to make him shut up.

“Well there is no other way unless we travel east, and that adds three hundred and seventy-two miles.” He opened his eyes lively, and so did Gideon.

“A dragon hunting we will go!” Gideon and Joe both laughed, and I gave a faint smirk.

I glanced back the poorly lit inn, that was my home…and I’m leaving it forever. Over the past six months, Silver Leaf and Flare Heart have been looking after me, and my needs. I could have lived there, and died there…and not know reality. That’s why I’m leaving; I need to know the truth.

The trail that lies on the outskirts of town has been paved thoroughly due to random merchants and traders, dead apple trees align the trail so we know we’re on the right pathway, but darkness can be devious to ones vision.

The gravel crumbled under my hooves and dust swept at my eyes and the cool night wind pushed against us, the trail are broken railroad tracks that will lead to Ghastly Gorge, two days at the most and we cant afford to lose any time.

The trees waved, and swayed their branches as if pointing us in the direction we were headed, it gave me some shivers I must admit; and Appaloosa was out of view now, it was just us in a deserted plain.

“How long till Ghastly Gorge?” Joe issued.

“One hundred and thirty five miles.” I assured him.

Our communication skills were something to sneeze at, and even if we did talk, it would usually be a time check, or a how much longer till, sort of conversation. Gideon unfortunately seemed to get more anxious as time passed. He would always answer in a very disgruntled voice and he would snap at Joe and I for no reason. I had just assumed he was cranky because of his terrible sleeping habit, until Joe told me otherwise.

“Yeah this is Gideon without the cider, pretty amazing, huh?” I laughed, so this is the real Gideon? Boy this trip just keeps getting better and better.

“What are you two fillies laughing at?” Gideon questioned angrily. Joe began whistling casually and I looked off into the wide plains. he squinted his eyes curiously and twisted his neck back forward.

A few hours passed and the atmosphere above us seemed brighter, and the pathway became clearer, it was very close to daybreak.

“Well, no trouble on the first night of traveling…I say we’re off to a good start.” Proclaimed Joe.

“Great, can we sit down for a bit?” Gideon groaned. I looked about us for any sign of life, nothing.

I nodded in agreement and fell to my rump. Joe yanked out a snack, and began nibbling off small pieces. Gideon lied down on the grate and prolonged his wings out, while I toggled with my Pip buck. It was a tiring trip; we had journeyed quite far in the spans of a few hours, and the deep gravel was taking a toll on my hooves.

“It feels like it’s been years since I’ve had some cider!” whined Gideon, I rolled my eyes and Joe took a breath in.

“Maybe this is good for you, not having any cider, I’m sure your liver appreciates your sudden soberness.” Joe commented ironically. Gideon placed his elbow over his eyes and groaned. I can’t believe that griffon was thinking about cider, to me that’s the least of our problems, time is wasting, I knew I shouldn’t have brought Gideon.

“Stupid griffon.” I whispered silently. I saw him turn his head and give an extremely irritated look.

“What did you say?” The griffon implied demandingly. He heard my statement, and I began to break into a sweat as I reflected the words Joe told men “He gets quite cranky when he’s sober…” but I attempted a determined look, I never take back my words.

“You heard me stupid griffon!” I shouted.

Joe trotted between us. “Guys, lets not act like colts…we can talk this out-.” Gideon abruptly leapt from his comfortable position and catapulted himself towards me; he seemed to drive us off the trail and sent us spinning down a small cliff, then into a small trench below, so that the trail was long gone.

I began to think on how I was going to get back up until he slammed his fist into my stomach, causing me to loose what little breath I had left, the pain wasn’t unbearable though my adrenaline seemed to soften his strikes.
My rifle slipped from its buckle and rocketed off of my back near a shrub about two feet from the combat zone. I flew a few feet before landing in a small puddle of thick sludge.

When I stood to my hooves once again he tackled all of his weight onto my spine, and pushed me back into the muck. His face was full of rage as he plummeted into the mud after me. He swiped his agile claw at my face but missed by a hair and just when he thought he could claw backwards, I hoofed him in the face and then bit his wing. My counterstrike did some damage.

“That’s it!” he shrieked loudly and then gashed my leg. I grunted loudly from the excruciating pain. When he tried to slash my leg once more, I bucked my back hooves into his beak and sent him flying back into the mud. “Yeah!” I roared violently inside my head.

I need a weapon to scare him off, I located the rifle; I tried to scurry while he recovered from the devastating blow. But he shot his talons out of the mud and grabbed my back hoof, dragging me back into his possession. He was above me and he held his fist high in the air, blocking the sun. I covered my face in terror. “Oh boy good thinking Brimstone, now you’re gonna die because you pissed off a griffon.” I reprimanded myself angrily.

He screamed from his bloody beak. “Take this ya little fu-!” a resonance of several gunshots echoed in our ears, and a loud groan shortly followed.

“Joe?!” Gideon screamed. He began climbing up the cliff and my heart started to panic, Joe wasn’t the only pony up there. He inched his way up the crag with the wounds I had just bestowed upon him. There is somepony up there I wanted the element of surprise, but if Gideon showed his face…

“Gideon! Stop!” I shouted. Another shot was fired and Gideon didn’t seem to notice he was the victim until he lost his grip on the edge and grounded right beside me. He sluggishly opened his blood-soaked wing and grunted.

“How many are up there?” I asked Gideon calmly.

“Ughh, I think five…I don’t know I couldn’t get a good look.” Five or hundreds, it didn’t matter; no one gets away with hurting Joe. I ripped a piece of cloth on my duster and bandaged him.

“Alright, I’m going to check it out.” Gideon grabbed my hoof suddenly.

“Brimstone, if we die…I’m sorry about a few minutes ago, I’m just flustered…” This was new, a griffon saying he’s sorry, now I knew he really was sober.

“Its fine.” I assured wholeheartedly. “I just cant believe all of this danger happened within the duration of a few minutes.” I stealthily scaled the cliff and reached the edge.

I rested my rifle on the rim of the dugout near a small shrub, so I was slightly camouflaged. Looking down the sights, I noticed there were only three, and they had bounded Joe in a rope while searching our caravan. They seemed to be trotting towards the precipice; I can’t let them get near Gideon.

I’ve never used my father’s rifle before, and looking down sights is new for me, but how hard could sniping be? I took in a deep breath and held it, relaxing my hoof near the trigger. I aimed the iron sights directly on one of the raiders and shot.
The force kicked my shoulder back and hurt my neck causing me to lose aim and shoot directly in the air.

“Hey! There’s another one! We’re gonna’ have a feast!” they yelped like primates. And began charging towards me. I dreaded my hoof slipping on the trigger and now it was an actuality.

I would reload my father’s rifle and shoot again but, unfortunately, its not bolt, or semi automatic, its an antique; One of those rifles you actually have to place powder inside.

I quickly climbed down the ditch to seize my pouch lying by Gideon, I unzipped my sack, and I levitated my blade near my face. It was quiet, but still horrifying.

“Now we got y-.” I turned my body and slammed the blade into his forehead, he collapsed into the muck Gideon and I had just fought in. “One down, two to g-.” a malevolent chuckle resonated behind me.

I felt a cold sharp object rest upon on my neck and somepony’s hoof forcing mine behind my back.

“Its over kid, ya shot and ya lost!” he cackled hysterically, tying a rope around my hooves. I glanced at Gideon; a pony that looked like he had way too much caffeine was tying him down with a leather strap.

The thugs hauled us out of the furrow and pushed us by Joe.

“Joe! Are you okay?” I asked worriedly, he nodded his head slowly.

“Y-yeah, just a little scratch; that’s all…” he whimpered when I glanced from his face to his hoof, it had been completely severed off!

“Glory, Joe! Im surprised you’re still awake!” Gideon commented blissfully.

“Hey, shut up over there!” one of the assailants shouted.

“Gideon now is not the time to make jokes!” I whispered intensely. Joe sat up on his rump and looked at his leg.

“Well gee there sure is a lot of blood in my leg.” He stated calmly.

“Why are you so calm? You do realize that we are going to die here right?! Aren’t you scared?!” I bawled. He just shook his head slowly and grinned.

“There’s no reason to be scared Brimstone.” Gideon leaned in on the conversation and provided a frown.

A light breeze seeped through my mane and sent shivers down my spine. I never thought I would die in such a barren field, I never thought I would die next my favorite bartender, and the most annoying griffon on the planet. My quest seemed pointless; I couldn’t avenge her, or Silver Leaf…I failed.

“Alright! Were getting fed up with your cargo, and the chief will be here any moment so…” he clutched Gideon by his hurt wing and hauled him closer to our scoured caravan supply. I reached my hooves out to grab his tail, but it slipped.

“Joe we have to do something they’re gonna kill-.” I looked closer at his face, he was crying? He grasped a small photo of his family close to his chest, while tears dribbled down his face. He has given up hope… “What a hypocrite. Even the strong are weak in the eyes are of death.” I muttered.

“Wait!” Joe screamed, and it caught the attention of the lethargic thieves.

“I’ll take the griffons place!” they augmented an eyebrow and shrugged, they dropped Gideon with a thump, and trotted gradually towards Joe, when they arrived they wrapped a cloth over his eyes; to strike fear I’m guessing.

“We’re tired of trotting back and forth so…” he pulled the rifles bolt with extreme force. “We’re just gonna kill ya right next to your dirty friend.” The one on the left raised his firearm and pulled the bolt back.

I began to tremble, my hooves started shaking frantically; “Joe couldn’t die.” I informed myself dreading each breath the muggers sighed. I can’t take the pressure…

“Goodnight!” the raider called; I covered my ears with my hooves and stooped below in reaction he slightly pulled on the trigger and fired…I winced from the sudden waves wrenching my eardrums. I slowly opened my eyes to find blood stained on my body and Joe fell to the ground not moving an inch; I began to tear up. Gideon started shrieking and weeping along with me. But I noticed the strangest phenomenon, Joe wasn’t bleeding; was I shot instead? My vision turned blurry and my ears picked up a low frequency.

“Sonar Pulse!” one of the thieves called. I transferred my eyes from Joe to the mugger and saw a hole drilled straight through the middle of his stained skull. I pattered my body looking for any kind of hole or gashing wound. (Besides my leg.) But no holes showed. I wasn’t shot; it was the pony in front of me, dead and lifeless.

The other pony became enraged and lifted the rifle once more to kill me with one mighty swing of the butt. When I closed my eyes once more, I felt another wave of liquid drown my face in red. I battered my eyelashes to get a clear view but the blurriness made it impeccable to even observe.

“Looked like you boys needed some help…” a voice shouted. I turned my head to stare at hill just beyond the trail. I couldn’t see the pony that helped us but I noticed her long scarlet mane flow through the gust and her body an ominous aura from the sun behind her. “An angel.” I whispered under my soft breath.

Author's Note:

I sense some action going on between Flare Heart and Brimstone ;)

What did you think about this chapter?

Let me know in the comments below and I'll see what i can change

Also longest one! :D
Chapter 4: IS BACKGROUND STORY TIME! So stay tuned!

It's gonna be awhile......

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment