• Published 17th Feb 2012
  • 1,344 Views, 44 Comments

My Little Pony: Adventures in Tyria. - Mehnlo



This is a My Little Pony crossover in the Guild Wars universe.

  • ...
2
 44
 1,344

Exposition!

Chapter Three

Mehnlo awoke, sweating, it was that same dream. He looks over to see Cynn sleeping on their bed. He smiles, thinking that despite the fact that he and Cynn were almost polar opposites, where he was always cautious, and analytical of every situation, Cynn was headstrong and impulsive he and her were still able to be lovers. It felt like only yesterday that he started returning her feelings for him, although he knew it wasn't, even though he had known of them for a while.

He slowly got out of bed and went out to the balcony thinking about his dream. He has had that same dream since a week after The Great Destroyer had been defeated, at first he assumed it was just a dream, but, upon having it so many nights in a row, and even a few times during the day, as a vision, he now realizes that it is more than just a dream, it's a message.

He isn’t sure which god it is from, Balthazar or Dwayna, a problem he has had over his lifetime, due to devoting his life to two deities, he never knows when to put his faith in Balthazar, the god of war, or Dwayna, the goddess of compassion. The meaning, however, was clear. A great foe had been defeated, no doubt The Great Destroyer, but its destruction has upset the balance of the world. Something is going to happen, soon.

The worlds ley lines have been disturbed, causing small natural disasters to occur. Just yesterday he got message from a courier that an earthquake has shattered a portion of the Ascalonian Great Wall, while King Adlebern of Ascalon believes it was some sort of Charr sabotage, Mehnlo knows better. The portion of the wall was built over the same ley line as Nolani Acadamy, the once great school of magic, now in ruins due to the damned Charr. A tsunami hit the capital of Kryta, Lions Arch, with three deaths and twelve wounded. The main volcano on the Ring of Fire Island Chain erupted, luckily that disaster was mostly averted due to Cynn and Mehnlo having been there at the time to make sure the Titans prison was not weakened due to the recent turmoil, and Cynn, being among one of the strongest fire elementalists in all of Tyria was able to, for the most part, direct the lava straight into the ocean, and keep the majority of the ash from going into the atmosphere. However, the most disturbing is the news of the gigantic sink hole that completely caved in, taking almost all of Doomlore Shrine, the capital of the new Charr nation. The death toll was fairly high, although it was mainly Norn and Human, as the Charr themselves have become mostly nomadic after the overthrow of their shamans and use Doomlore Shrine as a gathering place once a month.

All of these disasters, happening in such a small timeframe could not be mere coincidences. Mehnlo knows that it has to do with the defeat of The Great Destroyer, but the dreams reveal even more. They hint that there may in fact be worlds beyond theirs. That the barrier that separates them is weakening. He remembers having similar dreams in the past. They started with the defeat of the lich lord, Vizier Khilbron. The large amount of titans he was able to release before his defeat served as the first push against this barrier. However, the dreams stopped shortly after they started, and Mehnlo assumed that the problem had fixed itself.

Three months later, after his return to Cantha, and the death of his mentor, Master Togo at the hands of Shiro Tagachi, which brought Shiro back from the realm of the dead, seemed to have acted to weaken the wall even further, as Mehnlo started having the dreams again. Even though Shiro was defeated by Nika, with the help of Mehnlo and those who followed him, the damage was done, while these dreamed worried Mehnlo, he did not have time to think about them.
Even though Shiro Tagachi was defeated, Cantha was still in need of help and Mehnlo focused his efforts on acting as a mediator between the rivaling factions, the Kurzicks and Luxons, along with defeating the remnants of the Afflicted, Shiro Tagachi’s unholy soldiers. These dreams, like the others did not last long.

Despite what Mehnlo and his companions may have wanted, the world needed him once again, and they set off to Elona, to stop the old god Abbadon. Mehnlo, taking up the call once again led his friends and companions against Abbadon and his minions, taking the fight to where the true gods imprisoned him, The Realm of Madness, where after a great fight, and the loss of Kormir, leader of the Sunspears, the old god was destroyed. Once again, the dreams returned. Mehnlo started to get worried. He realized that something was wrong, and that the death of Abbadon, despite how much it was needed, had caused a crack in what he saw as the fabric of reality. Because he had no idea what it meant, or how to deal with it, he decided he would return to his childhood home of Serenity Temple and pray to Balthazar and Dwayna, looking for answers. He never made it. He got caught up once again in saving the world, this time from The Destroyers.
Now, he is once again suffering the same dreams, but now he knows exactly what they mean. He knows he must find a way to stop it before anything worse happens. But how? With a sigh, Mehnlo goes back to his bed, and gets in with Cynn, where he lays, awake, until morning.

--------------------

“Alright, I’m here. Now, what was so important that you had to drag me all of the way to the middle of no where, Aidan?” An extremely pale girl, a few years younger than him, stands before Aidan, with an impatient look of annoyance on her face. While she’s used to treks out into the wilderness, Aidan had interrupted her during one of her experiments with a couple of dead Charr. He had said he found something while on a hunt that he could not explain, and needed a magic user to explain it. Despite the stereotype that Necromancers were uncaring people who could care less about what others want, Eve followed him. After the first hour of wandering she was starting to regret it, she wasn’t dressed for this.
Motioning for Eve to be quite Aidan points off into the distance. “Listen. Do you hear that?” Eve closes her mouth and strains her hearing. She does hear something. It sounds like someone quietly ripping paper, along with the sound of a whirlpool like thing.

“What... Is that?” Eve asks, now extremely curious as to what could be making that noise.

Maybe it is a new creature? Oh! I hope so, I would love to see what sort of undead it could make! A voice in her head, that she knows as Adam says.

Looking down at the skull clipped to her belt, Eve quietly responds. “Quiet Adam, I’ll see what it is before I do anything like that... However, it would be nice to finally be able to experiment on something other than Charr...”

Aidan looks at his eccentric friend and shakes his head disapprovingly. He’s tried to tell Eve that Adam is not real and that it is just a skull, but she refuses to listen to him. He starts to move closer to the noise, with Eve close behind. After about four more minutes of walking through the woods, they see it. Having been the one to discover, Aidan knows what to look for, but it takes Eve a moment to see what he is pointing at. However she quickly notices a distortion when looking at the tree that Aidan is to be pointing at. As she focuses on looking at the distortion, as opposed to the tree, she sees very dim lights that seem to be floating around the area. The noise she has been hearing is now almost deafening, and yet she is still able to hear Aidan talking to her as clearly as always.

“I found this while hunting a White Tail. I have no idea what it is, although I believe it is magical in nature, which is why I came to find you. I was hoping you would know.” Aidan looks at the distortion again, completely perplexed. Show him a sample of flora from Tyria, and he can identify in less than a minute, fauna in ten seconds flat. Yet this... thing has him stumped.

“Well, you are right that it is magical in nature. It is also on one of the lesser ley lines, which might explain it. I remember getting a missive from Mehnlo two days ago saying that the defeat of The Great Destroyer had caused some sort of disruption across the ley lines, and was wondering if I could help find information about it.” Eve quickly cast a Well of the Profane spell, using the life force of the tree right behind the distortion, causing its bark and leaves to fall off, as the tree shrivels up and dies right before their eyes, to power her unholy spell. Aidan feels a shiver run down his spine. He knows that, no matter how unholy their magic may be, and no matter the price of the spell, that necromancers were not the crazed evil spell casters that many people see them as, or at least not all of them are. Even so, Eve’s spells almost always disturb him.

“Well, thats not supposed to happen. The well should have canceled out any sort of magical effects, not... whatever is happening.” Aidan looks back towards the spell, and sees what she is talking about. Not only was the distortion still there, it seemed to slowly get bigger as the magic from the well surrounded it. At first this confuses Aide, until Eve counters the effects of the well, causing the distortion to stop growing.

“That thing! It was feeding off of your spell!” Aidan exclaims, unnerved and worried about what the distortion is.

Letting out a quizzical hum, Eve agrees with Aidan, however one can never be too sure. “I think your right Aidan. Although... Just to be sure” Eve takes a small scalpel that she keeps on her at all times, and quickly slits her thumb, she then draws out a few drops of blood before closing the cut back up. Using the blood as a reagent, she closes her eyes, puts her hands forward and summons a swarm of what looks like small black bats that seem to fly out from her hands. The bats fly towards the distortion, and disappear as they fly through the area it is in. As each bat disappears the distortion effect grows slightly. This continues for a good six seconds, until all of the blood in her palm has disappeared, causing the power for the spell to be lost. “It seems you are right Aidan. Funny, I didn’t think you knew anything about magic.”
“For the most part I don’t Eve, but that was kind of common sense.”

“Bah, ‘common sense,’ last I checked, it wasn’t really that common" Eve responds.

“So, what do you think it is? I tried shooting an arrow at it, and the arrow just disappeared, although it did not get any bigger like it did when your magic touched it.”

“You see something you have never seen before, and the first thing you do is shoot it?” Eve snickers at Aidan for his extremely straightforward approach. “I wonder what would happen if a living creature went through it.” Eve gives Aidan a suggesting look.

“No way am I going to even get within spitting distance of that thing!” Aidan responds, a little too quickly.

“What are you scared? Fine. However, Mehnlo did ask me to do some research on these disturbances. Oh! Idea! Adam, can you tell me if their is anything dead nearby?” Eve asks her skull, taking it off of her belt.

Put me on the ground. I will see if I can feel anything that has started to decay. Eve hears Adam’s response in her head, and puts the skull on the ground. There is in a deer nearby to the east. It has recently died.

Eve picks the skull up and clips it back to her belt. “Thank’s Adam!” She then walks over to where he said the deer was. She takes out her scalpel again, this time slitting her wrist, allowing some of her blood drain out onto the corpse. She quickly causes her blood to clot, and forces the wound to scab over within seconds, she places her hands on the body of the deer and starts chanting something in a strange tongue. “Ileisgar, wux hunk di yobolat. Si tepoha klae ihk dout shell, wux nishka tir lae Si meage.”

Aidan averts his eyes at the unnatural display of magic, as Eve’s blood is absorbed by the skin of the dead deer, picking up his arrow that Eve had yanked out of it and carelessly tossed to the side. The deer slowly stands up, it’s body still mostly intact as it had just died a few hours ago. Eve points at the location of the distortion effect, and the deer stumbles forward. As it walks into the area of the effect, it starts to disappear, it keeps going until it is gone completely.

“It... It’s gone. I mean, I can’t even feel it’s presence anymore! It didn’t die though. It... It teleported somewhere. I would have felt the essence I used to reanimate it come back to me it if had died.” This shocked Eve a lot, while she hadn’t really known what to expect, she did not expect the distortion to be able to teleport objects.

“Uhm, Eve...”

“Yeah?”

“What... exactly will happen to the deer? I distinctly remember the last time you lost control of a minion it went on a rampage and tried to kill us all...” While Aidan wasn’t worried about what would happen to them, he was worried about what would happen to anyone on the other side of the portal.

Eve let out a sigh at Aidan's comment. “Come on! That was one time! ONE TIME! You’re never going to let me live that down are you? Besides, it was just a deer, its not like it could hurt anyone.”

“Fine. Let’s just head back. You should probably tell Mehnlo what happened.”

“Yeah, I will.”

--------------------

“AAAAAAAAAHHPPLLEEEEEJAAAAACK!!!!!!!”

“What in tarnation was that?!” Applejack exclaims, as she gallops towards the scream. The scene that she arrives to is strange to say the least. Applebloom is hiding behind one of the trees in the orchard. There is a strange lump of light brown laying on the ground in front of her. As Applejack gets closer she se that the thing on the ground is dead, it had been pierced by something and there is a trail of blood coming from the hole. It looked somewhat pony like, but much bigger than any pony she had seen, bar Princess Celestia or Luna. It’s legs are much more elongated than that of a pony, and its body is much larger than anypony shes ever seen.

Applebloom looks up at her big sister as she sneeks behind her leg. “Wha- what is tha’ thing Applejack? It’s scary.”

“I ‘ave no idea Applebloom, but I think I know somepony who might.

End of Chapter Three.