• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 2,849 Views, 164 Comments

Coming to terms with reality........ - Furstreak



Discord wants Twilight to have a life. She doesn't care. Whats the best thing to do to liven up her life? Why toss a being from another world into it of course!

  • ...
24
 164
 2,849

Chapter 6

Morning had arrived for the young stallion as his alarm sounded off next to his bed, only to cause him to bolt upright, screaming bloody murder. He snapped his attention around to the foul device, giving it an icy glare as he reached over and and smacked it with his hoof before giving a wide yawn and shudder as he stretched.

"Why did I agree to a morning shift." He groaned as he sluggishly pulled himself from his bed, and toward his bathroom. "It's not like I really have a choice though." He sighed, jumping into the shower after setting it to the right temperature.

A few minutes later and he had finished his daily bathroom ritual before heading into the kitchen to fix breakfast.

After all was said and done, he began his trot toward Sweet Apple Acres. "I wonder what Applejack has planned for me." He hummed in thought as he made his way quickly down the worn dirt path toward his destination. "I hope it isn't too much to deal with today. I know I'm fit enough to handle most tasks, but considering I no longer have fingers..." He trailed off as he looked down to this hooves as he trotted along. "Yep, no fingers, or toes... I kinda miss them, but then again," He grinned slightly, "being able to use magic to literally float things around without becoming physically exhausted could become a fun detail for everyday life." He snickered softly as he pushed some magic into his horn before using the levitation spell to accidentally yank a huge branch from a nearby tree, stopping only to gawk at what he had done.

"SHIT!" He squeaked out before tossing the large branch into the bushes. "I just wanted to pull a small branch off, not a whole freaking limb." He sighed as he fixed the amount of magic that he pressed into his horn before attempting the same thing again, this time being able to feel himself tug on a limb. That limb, however, didn't budge, only to annoy him as he began to try and twist the limb to snap it off. After a few twitches to find a way to use his magic to turn an object instead of pushing or pulling it. He quickly snapped the branch off of the tree and pulled it to him, swatting at a few flies that had decided to try and use him as a breakfast buffet.

After the long trot to the farm, he had arrived, wiping a few beads of sweat that had accumulated on his brow. The sun was now about half way over the horizon as its warm rays began to heat the cool morning ground. Visible vapors slowly rising from the dew covered grass before slowly vanishing into the morning air. As he neared the farmhouse, he was greeted with the smell of a homemade breakfast. One such smell that he had not smelled in quite a few years.

Unbeknownst to him however, the pungent aroma had caused him to trot slowly toward the house, and around the side to a window that was open and leading into the kitchen. Once he had made it to the window, he took in one deep breath through his nose, letting the wonderful smell of a freshly bake apple pie seep into him.

"AAAAH!" *BONK*

Kami came back to reality quickly as an apple had come to find a resting place right between his eyes. Staggering backwards for a moment, he shook his head trying to regain his bearings before another apple hit him upside the head again.

"THERE'S SOMEPONY AT THE WINDER TRYING TEH STEAL OUR PIES!" Came a high pitched squeal as another apple was added to the fray, this time, impaling itself onto Kami's horn and causing him to seize up in pain, falling over as he lay there gritting his teeth.

Applebloom stood at the window with an icy glare as she was about to launch another apple at the so called pie snatcher before Applejack pulled her back, sticking her head out the open window to see who her little sister had just assaulted.

"Kami?! What in tar-nation?" She spoke in surprise as she watched him slowly get to his hooves and dislodge the apple from his horn.

"NNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH!!! That hurt almost as much as getting kicked in the family jewels." He grunted out as he quickly lay back down onto the cool ground and placed his forehooves over his head as his back legs kicked toward nothing behind him. The pain slowly beginning to ease up as time passed.

By the time Applejack had made it outside, Kami was already sitting up and rubbing gently around the base of his horn to get the sensation of being kicked in the balls to go away. AJ just chuckled at his plight, that was of course until a large red stallion and a little yellow filly made their way outside to see the apparent pie snatcher.

"Big brother, lil sis, ah'd like ya teh meet Kami. Ah hired him as some extra help on the farm til he can find'is callin." AJ stated with a smirk, nodding to Kami as he gave a sheepish smile.

"Uh... Hi, sorry about the whole window thing." He chuckled nervously. "It just smelled so good, my nose decided to make me follow it to the source."

"Well now that’s a might nice of ya teh say, sonny." Came an elderly mare's voice from the window as she leaned out of it slightly. "But ah think it tastes a might better than it smells, wouldya care teh try a bite?" The elderly mare stated with a chuckle upon seeing the young stallion lick his lips.

"I... would be beyond honored if'n you'd let me try a slice. I don't think ah've ever smelled of something so... so..." He trailed off attempting to think of the right word to say. "I honestly can't think of a word strong enough to give that pie credit." He laughed out seeing the old mare smile warmly to him.

"Well how about ya come in and have a bite teh eat afore ya start helping mah grand youngins out on the farm. It'd be a might nice teh get teh know ya over a good breakfast."

"Thank you, I don't know what teh say." Kami laughed softly as he followed the trio into the back door of the house. Taking a seat at the table, he beamed as a slice of the freshly cooked apple pie was set in front of him. He taking a moment to steady his magic as he picked up the fork and slowly cut a piece of the pie before guiding it into his mouth.

Once his lips wrapped around the delectable treat, he let out a very satisfied humm before pulling the fork away. He opened his eyes to see three ponies staring at him, smiling as they munched on a mouth full of pie as well. A few minutes later and they were finished. Kami quickly gathering up the dishes and taking them to the sink despite Granny Smith’s protest.

As he was washing up the dishes, Applejack came up to his side and began to dry them, before placing them into the dish drainer.

“Applejack, I’ve got to admit, that pie was probably the best one I’ve ever eaten. I’d love to have the recipe if you’d be willing to toss it my way.” Kami stated with a smile as he continued washing the remainder of the dishes.

“Heh, you an every other pony in Equestria.” She chuckled back. “Granny Smith’s apple pie recipe is a highly guarded secret. Tain’t nopony ever come close teh getting her teh spill the beans on what makes it so special. Then again, tain’t nopony’d ask’er after the last time some featherbrain got smart with her in the market.”

“Ouch, I can only imagine. I can understand wanting to keep things a secret, but when it comes to another being a little too overzealous in trying to acquire that information, then I can see the pony being asked, getting a little miffed and doing something... not too nice to the other.” Kami cringed slightly upon thinking of a similar instance back in his home world.

As the two ponies finished up with clearing the dishes of what was left over of the morning’s breakfast, they quickly began to trot outside to begin the daily chores. Kami keeping stride with AJ as they both follow Big Macintosh into one of the west fields to begin bucking some of the ready to harvest apple trees.

“So, ya’ll ready teh get buckin?” AJ spoke up as they neared the furthest tree in the west field.

“Considering this will be my first time bucking trees, I think some instructions would suffice first before anything happens.” He chuckled softly as they stopped under the first tree. Big Macintosh was already looking up into the tree to determine where to place several large bushels at its base so that they could catch the falling fruit.

“It ain’t hard teh do. Just look up to the apples an figger out where they’ll land after ya buck the tree. Put some bushels down in the right spot. Then buck! After that, ya’ll pick up what’s left’o the apples and puttem inteh the bushels. Simple as that.” She beamed.

“Doesn’t sound to difficult, Do ya mind if ah use my magic to hasten the process?” He asked as he nodded his head slightly, brandishing his horn.

“Ah don’t see why not. Sure, go ahead. Ah remember when Twi helped us out one year during applebuck season. She pulled almost a tenth of the orchard’s apples from the trees in one go. Darn girl is overpowered if’n ya ask me.” AJ chuckled. “Ah don’t expect ya’ll teh do the same, But it’d be a might nice if’n ya can pluck a trees worth at a time. It’d make tehday’s chores in the fields fly by that much quicker.”

“Really now? An employer asking an employee to do a rush job and in the shortest time possible? I do think you want me to hurry so I won’t get paid as much.” He grinned seeing her eyes go a little wide from the comment.

“Now listen here, ah didn’t say that!” She protested only to elicit a chuckle from her brother and Kami as they glanced to one another.

“I’m just messing with ya Applejack.” He smirked slightly seeing her roll her eyes. “If that was the case, I’d have to ask for double-time.” He snickered.

After a few short hours of work, both of the stallions had worked up a good sweat. Big Macintosh, although quiet, carried on a wordless conversation with Kami as he was using his magic to pluck some of the more stubborn apples from the tree. Always looking up and into each tree they had bucked to see if there were any left hiding amongst the branches. Mac would move the wheat stalk in his mouth a few times as he counted the apples. Kami taking notice of this little tick and feeling around the tree branches where Mac was looking to attempt to locate the rogue apples.

Most of the apples that had fallen that day were caught within Kami’s magical grasp and then set carefully within the empty bushels before being quickly hoisted into a large wagon to be pulled back to the barn for processing.

After roughly five hours of work, the western part of the orchard had been cleared of apples so that they could be sent all over Equestria to be sold in many of the markets. Pulling them back to the barn though, was a challenge all in its own.

“WATCH OUT!” Kami shouted just as one of the wheels of the wagon that Big Macintosh was pulling, snapped, sending the wagon sideways and crashing to the ground. Many of the apples held within, falling out of their bushels and spilling onto the ground.

The wagon skidded a few feet before stopping and digging the broken axle into the ground. Big Mac giving a groan as he reached back with his mouth to undo the straps that were wrapped snuggly around him and holding him to the wagon. He gave an annoyed grunt as he strained himself trying to reach them but couldn’t do to the angle he was laying at.

“Ah cain’t get loose, ah need some help over’ere.” Mac spoke out as he attempted to push himself up enough to reach the straps.

“Ya’ll ok big brother?” AJ asked as she came over to assess the damage, giving a sigh as she looked to see that almost a third of the apples had fallen from the wagon as well as seeing the wheel shattered into splinters along with the broken axle that was now dug into the ground.

“Ah’m fine, but ah cain’t get up. Darn straps got me pinned.” He snorted as he gave a kick toward the wagon in annoyance.

“Hang on you two, let me see if I can help.” Kami stated quickly as he looked around them for a moment before seeing a large stone that was laying nearby.

Using his levitation magic, he took ahold of the stone, pulling it slowly from the ground with a grunt before slowly floating it over to the side of the wagon that had the broken wheel. Sitting it down close to the broken axle, then slowly lifting the wagons side before pulling it slowly sideways and propping it onto the rock.

AJ quickly kicked a couple of smaller rocks under the front and rear of the good wheel, chocking it in place so that it wouldn’t roll off. Big Macintosh quickly pulling himself out of his harness and moving around the side of the wagon to assess the damage. He gave a sigh as he turned and began to head toward the barn.

“Hey Mac, whatsup?” Kami asked, causing him to pause in his trot.

“Wagon’s busted up purty bad. Gonna need another axle and weel afore we can get it moving again.” He sighed as he turned to start heading back to the barn once again.

“Yep, looks pretty bad. Gonna need teh fix some of the frame too. All them apples done knocked a few boards loose. It’ll take us the rest’o the day jes teh fix it.” AJ sighed, lowering her head a little. “An we was doing so good too. Coulda even had ah drink afore dinner.” She snorted a little giving the ground a little stomp. She paused though as she watched the wagon begin to glow a faint blue before it began to creak softly and roll forward.

“Kami? You doing that?” She asked as she trotted to the front of the wagon to see him strapping himself into the wagon as his face contorted slightly in strain.

“Yea, don’t break my concentration and we can get this to the barn without doing any more damage to it.” He grunted as his slow trot began to get faster, almost into a full gallop as the wagon was being pulled like it weighed next to nothing and floating on one wheel.

After a few minutes of finding the right equipment, Big Macintosh had put them into a large wheel barrow and strapped it to his yoke. As he was pulling it from the barn, he paused as he noticed the broken wagon coming to a halt a few yards from the barn. The broken axle quickly being set onto a large rock at the corner of the fence running along the side of the dirt path. He picked up pace once again, coming down to the wagon and laughing as he watched the dark blue unicorn panting heavily from straining himself physically and mentally.

“Didja have fun there?” Mac chuckled as he began to help the unicorn unfasten himself from the harness.

“Yea.... I’m not.... as fit.... as I used... to be.” He spoke out breathlessly before giving himself a shake as the harness was finally removed. “That took a lot more magic than I thought it would.” He groaned out giving a stretch. “But I got it here alright. Just glad we didn’t leave it in the orchard. There’s no telling what woulda happened to it if we didn’t get it back here before nightfall.”

“What ya’ll talkin’bout?” AJ asked giving him a peculiar glance.

“Well, doesn’t this world have crime, or vandalism? Some... pony may have been walking through the orchard and saw the damaged wagon, fixed it, then stole it along with all of the apples. You aren’t worried about such things?” Kami asked, cocking his head to the side.

“Nah, we don’t have many thieves in Equestria. Most ponies’re nice enough teh ask if they need a helping hoof, and most other ponies are willing teh help’em out. Crime is almost non-existent’ere.” AJ stated proudly, feeling confident in her fellow ponies.

“That... is just plain awesome. I wish my the world I came from was like that. But considering that crime is part of being in daily society. Everyone is extremely cautious when it comes to protecting their belongings. Sad really, the way people are always at each others necks and trying to get ahead in life only to lose it all to some jerks who just happen to come by at the right time when they aren’t home so they can protect their stuff.”

“That is a might sad. But ya’ll don’t have teh worry none about that stuff happenin’ere. Equestria is a wonderful place teh be, an ever pony helps each other out if’n they need it.” AJ stated with a smile and a quick pat on Kami’s withers.

“I’m actually glad to hear it. That just means far less stress that I would have to deal with on a daily basis. But from the way you’re putting it into perspective, it sounds as if nopony even locks their doors at night.” He chuckled.

“Most ponies don’t lock their doors at night. In case another pony has an emergency and they need help. They just come inteh a friends house and gettem teh send fer help. All unicorns know a spell that sends up a signal flare thingy teh notify medical ponies and watchponies that keep an eye out over the town at night. Everything’s run smoothly round these parts.”

Kami just stood there in slight shock upon hearing about such methods that would keep any and everypony safe from harm or death. It actually made him smile widely at the thought, even more-so now that he wanted to be a part of those that would be a help to the small town.

“Hey, how does one acquire a position to become one of those watch ponies?” Kami asked giving a hidden smile. Applejack and Big Macintosh looking to one another in surprise.

“Well, it’s mainly just volunteer work. There’s always at least a few ponies that have ah hard time gettin teh sleep at night, or wake up a lil’extra early, so they use that time teh trot around town and help out where needed. Just good natured an all.” Big Mac stated with an approving nod, the wheat stalk being spat out of his mouth as he began to start working on the wagon.

“You know, that sounds like something out of a fairy tale in my world.” Kami chuckled out as he began to pull bushels of apples from the wagon. “I really do love the fact that this world is a lot more pleasant than mine. If things remain this nice, I may end up looking to start a family sooner than I thought.” He laughed softly as he pulled the bushels along through the air as he trotted toward the barn.

His comment, however, was clearly heard by Big Macintosh and Applejack. AJ giving a content smile as she watched the blue unicorn heading into the barn. That was, before Big Macintosh steeped in between her visual path of said unicorn.

“Wha... HEY! What ya’ll doing big brother?” She snorted out in annoyance as her eye candy was suddenly removed from her visual perspective.

“Now AJ, Ya’ll know ah know what ya’ll’er thinkin.” He stated with a smirk and cocked brow. “Don’t be gettin no ideas bout that feller so soon. Ah know he ain’t from round these parts, but that also means ya’ll better get teh know him a bit better afore ya’tempt teh wrangle him in. An don’t worry non, ah know yer a grown mare. Ah ain’t gonna interfere none. But ah ain’t gonna sit by an let’im hurt ya either.” He stated with a nod.

“Ah know, sides, Twi fancies’im too. We done had a lil get’tehgether the other night at her library. Rarity and Pinkie knows’bout his wantin teh start a family thang too. But they done said they ain’t interested in having more than a single foal. Rarity especially.” She laughed remembering their conversation the previous night.

“More than one foal? Really?! Ah figgered he’d be like most stallions an might want a single foal. But....” He paused as what AJ had said struck him. “Wait, more than one... that means he may want more than two?”

“Or three, or four, who knows, maybe ten.” She grinned toward her brother whose jaw just began to droop lower and lower.

“Ah do believe ah got a whole new respect for that boy.” Big Macintosh chuckled loudly.

“Speakin’o which. He’s coming outta the barn now.” AJ smirked to her brother while nodding toward the barn.

“Ya’ll finished with the bushels?” Big Mac asked, only to see Kami nod in confirmation.

“Yep, now we need to fix this axle. I’m not really familiar with how the construction of this wagon was made, so I can just be the muscle if you can tell me what to do.” He laughed as he picked the wagon up with his magic, flipped it over, then set it gently onto the ground.

“Pretty simple really. Just take out a few screws, smack a few boards taught with the frame, replace the axle and wheel, then flipper over. Not much to it really. It just takes earth ponies a bit longer teh fix’em cause we aint got magic like ya’ll do.”

Kami nodded to Big Macintosh as he began to point to what he needed to do. After about twenty minutes, the wagon had been repaired and flipped back over, before being pulled up to the side of the barn.

“Not a bad day’s work.” Kami smiled as he gave a tired yawn.

The sun was close to the horizon by now, it would only be a few more hours until it had set and bathed the land in darkness for all to rest in. The unicorn had gotten a small bag of bits for his day’s work and began his trek back toward town. He would still need to stop by Golden Oaks Library to see Twilight and grab a couple spell books before heading home once again.

As he made it into town, the sun was now slowly descending into the horizon, bathing the clouds above in a brilliant orange and purple glow. The wind swept quietly through the small town, jostling trees gently and creating a serene view of the town. Kami looked around to see a few tired ponies slowly making their way to their homes as well, most having seen him the prior day at the party, and giving a soft nod and smile as they passed him.

Reaching his target, he gave the door to the library a gentle knock before hearing a voice on the inside inviting him in. Once he pressed through the door he was greeted by Spike as he was carrying a small stack of books toward a shelf in the adjacent room.

“Hey Kami, how was your first day at Sweet Apple Acres?” He asked as he began to place book after book into their respective slots within the shelf.

“It went pretty well. It was a little more strenuous than I thought, but then again, I never really worked that much at a job before. So I guess it was a win-win situation.” He smiled for a moment before seeing Twilight walking from her study and into the main room of the library. “Hey Twi.” He beamed seeing the lavender unicorn, she stopping and smiling in return before giving a soft yawn.

“Hey there, how did your first day at the Apple farm go? AJ didn’t give you too hard of a time did she?” She giggled softly seeing him roll his eyes.

“Nah, everything went smoothly today. Despite a little snag with one of their wagons, it seemed to be an alright day. I take it you had quite a few customers today?” He asked as he glanced around the library to see stacks of books just lying around.

“Heh, nope, this is a normal thing when Twilight really gets into study mode.” Spike chuckled causing her to burn a bright red.

“Wow... really?! That is pretty hardcore. But then again, I can remember my college days. Study, study, study, is all I did. Too bad that most of that knowledge is useless in this world. I actually feel quite inferior to Twilight right now. Then again, all it will take is some studying and I’m sure I can get up to par with her in no time.” He chuckled giving Twilight a quick wink. She in turn giving a cocky smirk.

“I’ll take you up on that. But don’t feel too bad when you lose.” She grinned causing him to grin back.

“Challenge accepted. Let’s say... a few weeks time. Yea, three weeks should give me enough time to get caught up on Equestrian history. Then we can have a little contest to see who knows more.” Kami laughed, seeing Twilight’s face grow even more determined.

“Alright then, I’ll see you on the battlefield.”

“First things first though!” Kami declared causing her to cock her head sideways in askance. “Did you find those spell books we talked about the other night? I’d really like to learn a few new spells before going to sleep tonight.” He smiled sheepishly. She only giving a giggle and nod as she floated said books over to him.

“It looks like you worked a little hard today, you can keep these for an extra day if you want.” Twilight smiled warmly to him. He giving a soft smile in return before giving a wide yawn.

“Guess I’d better get home before I fall asleep standing up.” He chuckled softly as he headed to the door.

“See you tomorrow Kami.”

“G’night you two.”

Author's Note:

Edited by ReFro