• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 2,849 Views, 164 Comments

Coming to terms with reality........ - Furstreak



Discord wants Twilight to have a life. She doesn't care. Whats the best thing to do to liven up her life? Why toss a being from another world into it of course!

  • ...
24
 164
 2,849

Chapter 4

The day was coming to a close as Kami and Twilight finished cleaning and reorganizing the library. As the sun began to set in the distance, the two ponies had come to a halt in the organizing when Twilight began speaking to the new unicorn stallion about how magic worked within this world. Being a unicorn, and unable to currently use magic, had this young stallion sitting on pins and needles in anticipation of learning how to successfully use said magic.

Twilight, being the inquisitive pony she is, plus loving to have the opportunity to teach another pony something about magic, began pulling out several different books and bringing them over to a small table within the middle of the room. Plopping down onto an oversized pillow, she patted the spot next to her as she began to open one of the books. Kami, although slightly hesitant at first, took the spot next to her as she started speaking.

"This book is normally for foals just learning how to control their magic for the first time. Although it may seem a little confusing at first, you should be able to at least feel some of your magic first hoof upon finishing the first couple of chapters." She smiled softly seeing his eager expression as he pulled the book to him and began to read through each page quickly. Almost as quickly as Twilight would when she found an interesting book to read. However, she noticed that once he finished reading a single page, he would go back and re-read it once again before moving onto the following page. She was about to ask why he was doing that but paused as she noticed his horn already glowing softly.

"Wait, did you even finish reading everything I told you to?" She asked as she watched his eyes close as a look of concentration showed across his features.

"Yea, I'm just trying to get a feel for the magic now. It said that I should practice pulling magic into my horn first before even attempting to weave any spells. I want to be able to do this right the first time. Plus it says that I should disperse the magic so that my available magical tank will increase so that I can do more spells and such, rather than just a few before I run out. I honestly don't want to get into trouble or anything and not be able to defend myself or others if the need calls for it." He stated quietly as the magic being pushed into his horn shot out of the tip into a magical fountain of sparkles.

"That's true, but I would like to see your capability in magic as soon as you're ready. Would you like to have dinner with me and Spike while you ar- EEP!" Twilight came to a grinding halt as she ducked to avoid a shower of magic that had just been sent over her head. She looked back to Kami, his eyes wide and a blush across his face.

"Uh... dinner?" He stated with a slight waver in his voice.

"Yeeeeessss, so that we can discuss further into teaching you how to use magic, plus..." She hesitated for a few moments as her own face began to grow slightly rosy on her cheeks. "I'd like to at least get to know more about you and where you came from. W-why? Are you... not interested?" She asked, giving a slight pout.

"N-no! I mean yes! No... Wait! UGH!" He groaned out as his face began to grow a brighter shade of red before he finally buried it into a book to attempt to hide his embarrassment. After a few seconds to pull himself together, he pulled the book down just enough to look over the top of it toward the lavender unicorn sitting in front of him who still had a small blush on her cheeks.

"What I meant to say is that, yes, I would like to get know you a little better, and yes, I would like to learn more about how magic works. But as for what Discord brought me here for," He paused, rubbing his withers sheepishly. "I think something like that will have to wait a while. I would like to learn more about this world first before I could even think about starting a... relationship." He chuckled nervously.

"That's fine, I still have quite a bit of studying to catch up on in regards to a new spell that the princess has asked me to make. So, getting to know you on a more personal note will have to wait for the time being." She stated with a soft giggle. "Oh! That reminds me. What would you like for dinner? I know that Spike usually makes hay fries and tofu burgers most of the time, but I don't know if you'd like something like that or not."

Kami gave his chin a gentle scratch with his hoof as he mulled over that for a moment before speaking. "Well, I've never had a tofu burger before, but I could go for a real burger if that wouldn't be too much trouble." He smiled slightly but paused as he noticed the slight look of horror on Twilight's face. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

Twilight continued to stare at him in slight terror as she began. "A real burger? You mean... with actual meat?" She gulped slightly as her coat began to turn a little paler.

"Yea...?" After a few seconds he stopped, his eyes going a little wider before his hoof met his face. "I'm such an idiot..." He groaned out, giving a sigh. "I'm guessing Discord didn't tell you that my species, before I was changed into a pony, are omnivorous. So, asking for actual meat wouldn't be a good thing... would it?" He asked, giving a nervous smile.

"Well... It is quite uncommon for anypony to eat any type of meat to be honest. You are the first one I've ever met that has even mentioned the possibility of wanting to eat meat. The closest thing we have is either tofu or different types of nuts."

After a minute of thinking things over, Kami gave a nod. "I guess a tofu burger would be alright."

Twilight smiled as she went into the next room to see if Spike would go ahead and start dinner. A short time passed as the little dragon and the lavender unicorn made their way out of the back room. Spike headed into the kitchen while she headed back toward the small table where Kami was now reading further into the first book that Twilight had given him.

"This book is so informative!" He stated as his eyes never left the pages. His ears instinctively swiveling to the sound of Twilight’s hoof steps heading in his direction.

"If you think that book is interesting, then you are going to love some of the more advanced books on magic once you have built up your magic reserve. Some of the spells that you can learn later on are very hard to cast due to the specific weaving involved. Sometimes you will have to weave multiple spells together at the same time in order to cast the spell you want. Teleportation is one of those, and that took me a few weeks of practice to learn, not to mention quite a few trips to the spa with my friend Rarity." She giggled, but paused as Kami gave her an odd look.

"Why would you need to go to the spa in order to learn a spell?" He stated with a smirk.

"Well, considering the drawbacks on failing to cast a teleportation spell are slight burns... Well, let’s just say that I ended up with quite a bit of singed fur." She giggled slightly with a sheepish smile. "Yea, I had to wait in between casting the spells so that my fur would grow back and I didn't end up trotting around looking like I was going bald."

The two paused for a moment as a laugh erupted from within the kitchen. Spike taking the opportunity to step into the doorway while still fighting off a fit of the giggles.

"Yea, you should have seen her! After the second failed cast, her tail caught on fire and burned almost half of it off." He snickered only to make Twilight facehoof while blushing furiously.

"Yes, it was a terrible thing to endure. But after a couple more failed attempts, I finally managed to get the casting of the spell down and haven't failed since." She beamed proudly, but paused as Spike spoke up once again.

"Uh huh, until you cast it while I was on your back. We ended up both getting a little singed after that time. It's a good thing I'm a dragon, or I would have been pretty bad off from the magical backlash that burned your fur." Spike groaned out rolling his eyes before turning and heading back into the kitchen.

"Eh heh heh... yea, that was something I hadn't considered at the time. Teleporting more than a single being in one casting wasn't explained thoroughly in the book I was reading at the time to learn that spell. Since then I have made my own notes in my own copies of the books so that it will be far easier to understand." She smirked slightly as she pulled a book out from under the table they were seated at and set it down in front of them. Opening it to the spell in question and pulling out a couple pieces of scroll that she had scribbled some information on and set them to the side.

Over the next thirty minutes, the two discussed more information about the teleportation spell before Spike came out of the kitchen with two plates of food in his claws. Setting them down onto the table just as Twilight finished putting away the scrolls and books that had managed to become piled higher as the two ponies were talking. Another ten minutes went by as the two consumed their meals. Kami, with more than a little difficulty as he attempted to use his hooves to lift the burger, only to have Twilight use her magic to lift it up for him to take a bite. All the time the two were blushing profusely toward one another.

After the meal had been consumed, Kami yawned a little before he noticed how dark it was outside. His vision quickly glancing back to the clock resting on the wall on the far side of the library to see that it was around one o’clock in the morning.

"Is it really that late?" He asked in surprise before seeing Twilight give a yawn herself.

"I guess so..." She trailed off as another yawn escaped her, causing her frame to give an involuntary shudder as she stretched out.

"Well, I guess I had better head home then." He stated softly as he looked to the door for a moment before turning his vision back to the lavender unicorn at his side. "Thank... thank you for dinner and for teaching me about magic." He smiled softly to her only to make her blush once again.

"It was my pleasure; I enjoyed helping another pony learn about magic. I'm still eager to know exactly what your potential in magic is though, so please come by as often as you like. This is a library after all, so if you wanted to just check out a book, or chat for a while, I wouldn't be against the idea." She giggled softly to herself, an inward smile filling her heart with that warm fuzzy feeling.

"I will, and thanks again for everything Twilight. I appreciate it." He smiled softly to her as he headed to the door, taking a moment to open it before stopping in the doorway.

"Kami? What's wrong?" Twilight asked as she stepped up to his side and following his glance toward the sky.

"Wow..." He trailed off as he stared quietly at the sky. "I've never seen the sky so clear. The stars, they are, so beautiful... and the moon... it’s... it’s breathtaking."

At that moment, Twilight gave a nervous swallow as she watched the young stallion continue to stare at the sky, that was of course until his mouth opened wide as a yawn escaped him, causing him to give an involuntary full body shudder. His fur and mane quickly bristling up and standing out, making him look a little shaggy. He stopped, quickly turning his attention back to Twilight as she giggled softly, holding a hoof over her mouth.

"What?" He asked, cocking a brow.

"Nothing, have a good night Kami." She smile softly as she turned back into the library. Kami stepped out of the door as he turned his head slightly back to see the door enveloped in a soft purple glow, just barely catching a glimpse of a lavender flank as the door closed.

"Huh... So Discord wants her to hook up with me then?" He asked himself as he turned back onto his path and began to quickly trot out of town toward his home. "She seems nice, but..." He trailed off for a moment before picking back up once again. "I like the book wormy type, but... I don't think we could hit it off." He sighed, silently berating himself for even thinking that.

As the young stallion made it back to his home, he stopped around twenty yards from his home as he noticed two ponies standing out front in what seemed to be golden armor. The door was open and voices could be heard coming from inside.

"No way am I getting burglarized on my first day here." Kami stated softly as he hunkered down slightly as he began to make his way around the edge of the house to the back. "Let’s just hope I have a back door, and it's unlocked." He snorted softly as he slowly made it to the back of the house only to silently curse as all he noticed were several small windows.

"Well then... let's try this." He stated softly as he pressed up n the window, smiling as it nudged upwards just a little. He pressed a little harder, slowly opening the window and climbing through it into his bedroom. Leaving it open just in case he had to make a hasty retreat.

"Now then, let's just see who is in here." He grumbled as he quietly made his way across his bedroom and peeked through the keyhole to his door to see who, or what, was on the other side.

As he looked through the hole, his ears trained forward as he listened intently to the conversation that was being spoken on the other side of the door.

"Do you really think that what you did was wise, my friend? My student does not seem to be that interested in anything other than her studies." she sighed slightly, knowing she was the cause of that.

"Tia, it took me forever to find a suitable being that would fit her tastes. Do you really think that she would pass up the opportunity to hook up with a pony that fits her preferences to a T?" Discord groaned slightly.

"To be honest, there is always that possibility. My student does not take her studies lightly, and should I ask her to study further, she would not hesitate to do so. Although, she is getting older now, and I dare say that once she comes into season this year, she may find it much harder to concentrate on her studies instead of a stallion that may catch her eye. No mare is immune to the natural instincts that are a part of us." Celestia stated with a slight titter in her voice.

"True, but even then, I think she might pull that knot out of her tail and actually do something to pull her away from those boring old books. That being I brought here was meant to be her colt friend, and considering how late it is, I think I may have lucked out and she may have given him a nightcap." Discord chuckled only to seeing Celestia blush slightly at the thought.

Kami rolled his eyes as he pulled himself away from the keyhole that he had been using to spy on the conversation that was going on within the next room.

“Are those morons really sitting there talking about setting up Twilight with me? It’s no wonder that Discord offered me so much in return for coming here. Then again... I couldn’t think of a better way to set up a couple than to traverse the entire universe just to find someone that fits my preferences to a T. That is going out of the way quite a bit, but if I could do just that, then I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity.” He chuckled softly to himself before he came to a stop upon seeing a shadow move across the bottom of the door and stopping right in front of it.

“Did you hear that?” Came a voice from the other side of the door. “I think somepony is in this room.” Came the voice again as several more pairs of hoofbeats were heard on the floor. Shadows quickly blocking out most of the light from the crack at the bottom of the door.

The young stallion backed up slowly, trying not to make any sounds as he watched the handle move slowly on the door. It stopped however as the shadows moved to the side of the door as a voice spoke up.

“Young one, you need not to be afraid. You may come out.” Came Celestia’s voice from the other side of the door.

Kami gave a slight gulp for a moment before trotting to the door; he was no longer trying to hide his presence as he gripped the door handle in his mouth before giving it a twist and pressing the door open, immediately being bathed in the light from his living room. Standing there were several guards in golden armor, whom were off to the sides of the Sun Goddess herself, Celestia.

“Uh...” Kami trailed off as he looked around the room to the various ponies and then to lone draconequus that was standing silently watching him.

“Welcome home, my boy.” Discord chuckled but stopped as he looked to the expression of annoyance and anger plastered across Kami’s face.

“Home? Yes, that would be what this is. My home. In which all of you are currently standing in without my consent. Breaking and entering so to speak.” He stated with a snort, surprising everypony in the room.

“How dare you speak to the princess like that?!” One of the guards stated as he stepped forward, scraping the floor with a hoof. Kami stepping forward as well, giving another loud snort. This was when the guards noticed that this unicorn was quite a bit bigger than any unicorn they had seen before. His height was quite a few hands higher than any of them, even the unicorn and earth ponies that were standing a little further back and to the sides of Celestia.

Everything came to a halt though as Celestia began to move toward the door of the home. The guards quickly following her while another group kept their backs to her as they continued to stay in front of the stallion.

“Tia?” Discord began as he scratched his head, clearly confused.

“This young one is correct in the assumption that we did enter his home without his permission. I should honor that this is his home and that I was not invited. I shall wait outside until that such moment.” She stated with a soft smile.

“Wait.” Kami spoke up giving a slight hint of reluctance. “You’re already here, so you might as well stay. I’m not about to kick a lady out of my home that apparently had a reason to stop by and say hello.” He sighed seeing her smile warmly to him.

“But that doesn’t mean I won’t kick out a stallion that I didn’t invite. So if you do have business with me, I ask that we do this in private. I may be courteous, but I have my limits.” He stated as he gave a sideways glare to all of the guards that were giving him a skeptical glare in return.

“Very well.” Celestia stated as she gave the guards a slight nod, silently telling them that they could take their leave.

“Thank you.” Kami began as he trotted over to the small table that sat in the middle of the room, taking a quick seat as he nodded to the seat on the opposite side of the table. “I guess that you have something to discuss with me, otherwise you would not have made the trip out here.” He smirked slightly seeing her give one in return.

“I believe my friend here has something to say first and foremost.” Celestia stated as she gave a disapproving glance to Discord who only furrowed his brow as he stepped forward.

“Yes yes... I would like to apologize for my earlier actions.” He grumbled.

“Apologize? For what? Taking me out of a world filled with constant agony and torment and placing me into a world of fantasy, filled with magic, mythical creatures, and God knows what else? To be honest Discord, I should be thanking you every day for the rest of my life. This is by far one of the best things that I could have ever hoped to have happened to me within my lifetime.” Kami laughed as he leaned back in his seat, surprising both the Alicorn and draconequus on the other side of the table.

“So that means that you aren’t angry?” Celestia asked in surprise.

“Why would I be angry?” Kami chuckled. “This is a dream come true, although I could have dealt without the fact that he was only doing this just to set me up with a chick.” He snickered seeing Discord throw his paws into the air in frustration.

“Still though, thank you, for doing everything you’ve done. It’ll be nice to start over in a world filled with everything being completely new to me. I’ll have plenty of time to learn about everything, read up on history and current events, find out how to properly use magic, and do all kinds of things. In all honesty, I think I’ll be very busy for at least the next couple of years in the least!” He laughed as he mulled over all of the things he was going to be doing in his free time.

“For the time being though, I’m going to need to find a job so I can support myself. Having a home and not having to pay rent will help a lot. But, bills will still be here.” He groaned.

“Actually...” Celestia spoke up garnering his attention. “Unicorns are pretty self sufficient when it comes to ‘paying bills’, so to speak. If you are talking about electricity, heating, cooling, amongst various other things that ponies will pay for in order to live comfortably. Most of the time a home will contain gemstone batteries that are charged with magic in order to sustain various things within the home. The top one being electricity, as well as keeping the home at a regulated temperature. So once you have learned those various spells, you will be able to save more bits than you first thought.” Celestia stated with a smile as she watched the young stallion beam.

“Then that means I can put my money into research! EXCELLENT!” He shouted as he danced in place.

After a minute of watching the stallion dance in place Celestia gave a soft giggle to try and catch the stallion’s attention.

“I’m sorry, I’m being rude. I know you had something to discuss with me. Please, proceed.” Kami smiled as he took a seat at the table once again.

“Considering the way you are acting, I believe that my questions have been answered for me already. All I simply want to say now, is, welcome to Equestria.” Celestia stated as she gave her head a slight bow toward him.

“Thank you princess, and please, call me Kami.” He smiled giving a curt nod in return.

Author's Note:

Edited by ReFro