• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 2,754 Views, 44 Comments

Why was I so lucky? - Artyom the Brony



A normal soldier with an abnormal job on an abnormal day

  • ...
5
 44
 2,754

A Slight Overreaction

The walk was never ending, even as night set I still trudged along. I still didn’t know what made me run away like that. I never felt welcome as a kid, maybe I just went with what I was used to. Abandonment. I always stuck out like a sore thumb. When we discussed the cold war, I sided with the Russians. When asked what religion I followed, I said Norse. I never fit in, and the way they reacted to the knowledge of me killing something, it brought back old memories. Painful memories. The kind that I wanted to forget forever, and just be able to move on with my life, but I couldn’t. They stuck to me like glue. White, sticky, glue. Get your mind out of the gutter Etrius.

I came across an open field after a while. There was a hill with a lone tree on top of it. The forest seemed to want to be anywhere except around that tree.

“Yeah, I know how you feel Woody,” I said

Woody was an appropriate name for a tree, and it didn’t have any dirty implications. I started to walk through the field and was immediately surprised by the height of the grass. It came up just above my waist.

“Well, now all Predator has to do is crouch, and then I’m done for,” I said to myself slightly serious. That movie freaked the hell out of me as a kid.

I walked up to the hill and scaled the horrific thirty degree slope. A second later and I was at the top of said hill, the grass now only ankle height for some reason. I sat down and leaned against the trunk of Woody. I sat there and just thought about how my life would go from now on. I could count on the Joes back on Earth but here, I don’t know. After some time to think about things in general I heard footsteps, or clopping, whatever. I did however jump at the sudden noise and looked around for the source. I couldn’t see anything and figured that if there was a pony, they would easily be concealed by the tall grass. Still I was paranoid and thought of any means to defend myself. Combat knife, handgun, incendiary grenade, tear gas grenade, or fists. I though of using the tear gas, but it would effect me as well, what with the broken lens and all. Instead I drew my sidearm. It used .45 caliber rounds and would drop anything with at most, the second shot.

“Who’s there!” I yelled

no answer

“Don’t think I’m stupid! I know you’re here! Show yourself!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

All of it was muffled with the mask on though. Thinking of this, and perhaps they hadn’t heard me, I took it off. And with that, the same fog like substance came out every time I exhaled.

“Where are you!” I was supremely pissed at this point, being ignored and all, but all the while I kept thinking to myself,

“Am I going insane?”

Another thing dawned on me, I hadn’t checked my six. There could be a tank catapult ready to fire at me and I wouldn’t even know it. I had just been staring this direction the whole time. I spun around to see a blur of movement in the tall grass. A small portion of it that had moved without the rest. I sprinted as fast as I could to the spot of activity, holstering my pistol as I did. When I got there I saw nothing, just unmoved grass.

“Yeah, definitely insane,” I said to myself

I turned around and saw a bright white blur go behind the tree.

“I’m already insane, let’s see how in depth these hallucinations go,”

I walked back up to the tree, more calmly and peeked around it, nothing. I sighed, what else was there for me to do? I had checked every direction and ended up with the conclusion that I was insane.

“Oh. My. God,” I said as it all clicked “Thank you horror flicks,”

The one direction the bad guy is always in, and the hero never looks, up. I looked up to see a very colorful tree. The leaves were mixes of green, other green, and the branches were brown!

“GOD DAMNIT!” I yelled “Guess I’m alone huh Woody?” I asked the tree

I sat down again and tried to take it easy, even though I was deeply saddened by the fact that my current best friend was a tree, but hey, don’t hate right? I sighed again and admitted defeat out loud.

“Girls this way!” I heard a voice yell, it was different from the ones I had heard earlier.

“Oh shit, looks like they’re here to formally announce they hate me and my job,” I said as I climbed the tree

There was no way they could just come to terms with it like that. The most caring and forgiving people I knew treated me so differently when I had told them I killed someone. There was no way some ponies I had met just barley a full day ago could come to terms with it. I laid down across a cluster of branches and waited for something to happen. After about a minute I heard the same clip clop of hooves rapidly approach my position.

“He was here just a second ago,” The voice said

I wanted to turn and look at who or what this voice belonged to, but the movement would surely give me away.

“I believe you princess, but where could he have gone in such a short time?” Twilight said, I recognized her voice

“He might be laying somewhere in the grass, I’ll fly up and get a better view of things,” Rainbow Dash said

She took off with such force, that when she passed it knocked me from my perch. I just barley caught myself before I fell to the ground. Even still I was sliding down ever so slightly.

“SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!” I screamed in my head “There is no good end of this for me!”

Just as I was about to slip into view however, my foot caught hold of a branch, and I stayed up.

“HOLY HELL THANK YOU ODIN AND ALL YOUR ASSOCIATES!” There was no way I could have voiced my happiness to its full extent in one language. I thought of all the ways one might say thank you, but I wasn’t much of a learner.

I felt a slight tug on my back. Looking back to see what it was, I saw my spades straps come loose. I closed my eyes and came to terms with it.

“It won’t be so bad, it won’t be bad it won’t be bad it won’t be bad…” I mumbled as the shovel tipped and fell out, landing with a dull *thud*.

Author's Note:

OR MAYBE I'LL UPDATE AGAIN IN THE SAME DAY! WHAT A SURPRISE THIS IS!

So yea, my gift to you while I work on another story of mine. I'll work on this one more than the other, but the updates won't be as close together, sorry!