• Published 28th May 2013
  • 830 Views, 29 Comments

The Winning pony and the Templar - Ebony Gryphon



Cloud Kicker becomes a patron at a human bar

  • ...
27
 29
 830

Chapter Ten

Cloud Kicker hummed softly as she meandered about town, enjoying the usually mid-morning sights and smells. Stopping at the local flower stall, she took a couple of daisies, and after asking a very nervous Lily if rose had been around town, continued on her way. Munching on the delicious plant a moment, she rustled her wings at her side, then in mid stride, paused. Ignoring the stares of the locals, she closed her eyes, her nostrils giving a twitch. Taking a deep breath through said nostrils, Cloud Kicker held it a second, then with a twitch of her tail to the left, let it out. Lavender… and also slight undertone the scent of grass in the morning dew… in all the world, there was only one mare who had this scent… The one mare who’d she’d break her no banging the friends of a friend rule…

Lowering her gaze, a small smile played over Cloud Kickers muzzle. Walking down an alley, she licked her lips.

“Twilight…”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Coming to the top of town hall, Cloud Kicker hunkered down. The scent of that fine little filly was here. Down below, ponies and humans milled about, seemingly oblivious to the lecher currently looking down at them, whose ears flicked at the sound of the town halls doors opening. The hinges squeeked again, the door shut…. There she was. Though she only got a view of her from above, Cloud could tell the mare had grown since her ascension. Time to get a real close look…

A lavender blur shot up, then arced down, and below, the inhabitants below looked up and shouted. Levitating a book in front of her, Twilight looked up, frowning. Seeing the gazes of her neighbors, she turned around, and gaped as Ponyville’s premier playmare sped down to her, and even at her speed, the alicorn could see the look in her eye.

“LET’S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN…. GAH!” the last past of the flying love-bomb was suddenly halted. Bottom half jerked forward a moment, then falling back to point to the ground, Cloud Kickers hooves traveled to the wrists the hand wrapped around her neck was attached too. Eyes widening, she locked her gaze with the humans. In her mind, she registered green eyes, tannish skin, and jet black hair. Before she could get anything else, the fingers tensed slightly, and the humans eyes narrowed.

Cloud Kicker’s body jerked and her teeth clenched as lightning arched up the humans arm and into her body. Wings flaring out as the muscles in her body locked, the mare yelped in shock in pain. Ceasing his attack, the human let the mare go, and falling on her rump, Cloud groaned. Eyes rolling comically in her sockets, she flopped onto her back, a small tendril of black smoke coming from her now shell shocked frame. Vision clearing, she watched as the current object of her affections walked up beside the. Shaking her head, the alicorn, who easily stood as tall as the human, frowned.

“Really now, Cloud?”

Sitting up on her haunches, Cloud Kicker grinned as she rubbed the back of her neck.

“Sorry Twi. Can’t blame a mare for trying.”

Tilting her head up a moment, Cloud Kicker’s right brow quirked as she said “Who’s the human?”

Smiling, Twilights horn glowed as she levitated a book out of her saddlebags.

“Oh, forgive my manners. This is Scourge, Scourge this is Cloud Kicker.”

At the humans name, the mare sitting in front of them bolted up onto all fours, mouth agape.

“Wait… Scourge? As in, the warrior who slew Solaris Scourge? Hero of the Battle of Westmarch Scourge?”

At this the human scowled, and said softly, “Neither of these I took any pleasure in Kicker.”

Squealing with delight, Cloud Kicker suddenly leaped up, and bracing herself with a foreleg on each shoulder firmly pressed the lips of her muzzle to the humans. Twilight gaped, and mouth working, stammered, “Wait, what the…”

Pulling away, Cloud Kicker waggled her brows.

“That’s for saving my cousin, human.”

Jumping down from the still stunned warrior, Cloud Kicker planted a overzealous smooch on the equally shocked alicorn, and laughed as Twilight jumped with a screech of disgust, and furiously wiped her cheek. Scrunching her muzzle, she glared at the playmare.

“You do know I have the power to banish you rigaaaagggghhhh!”

As Twilight was speaking, Cloud Kicker walked by her side, and once behind her, gave the alicorn a swat on the rump with a wing. Flushing furiously, Twilight glared as the mare walked. Suddenly, her furious gaze turned up to her guard, who after letting out a low whistle, said “Man, I dig her.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………

Cloud Kicker paused outside the door to the bar, then sliding to the side, pressed against the wall. Inside, Big Macintosh sat, his jaw lying on the bars counter as he rubbed the top of his head with a hoof.

“I… I just don’t know…”

Taking a seat next to him, Garret patted his neck.

“What’s wrong? I thought he was getting better…”

Smiling slightly, Macintosh removed his hoof from, his head.

“He was… and Ms. Kicker, there’s no need to ‘ang around da door like a cat.”

Facehoofing, Cloud Kicker walked in. Lowering her head, she said “Sorry Mac, Garret.”

Lifting her head again, she cocked it curiously.

“What are you two talking about?”

Both males looked at each other a moment, then a with a sigh, Macintosh said “A buddy of mine… from the gryphon war(1)…”

Blinking in shock, Cloudkicker interrupted, “Wait, you were in that?”

“Conscripted…” the steed gave a slight smile, while Garret gave a nod and added, “I was there too.”

Chuckling slightly, Macintosh rumbled “I imagine you served ma’am?”

Nodding, Cloudkicker walked over, then lifted her wing. Under the fur, under the wings joint, a scar could be seen.

“Got taken out pretty quick, to my shame. First push, a hunter got me with a spear, then infection.”

Garret nodded, and lifted a arm.

“After my village fell, I was lost for a while, so I signed up.”

Pointing to three gashes over the forearm, he continued, “When it was over, I helped the Guard clear out resistance who decided to keep on when their leaders surrendered, that’s where I got this.”

Macintosh sighed, and shook his head.

“I lucked out.”

Garret crossed his arms, and shook his head.

“Come on Mac…”

Sighing, Macintosh rubbed his head again.

“Fine…” looking back at Cloud Kicker, Mac frowned.

“Understand Ms. Kicker, Apple’s ain’t a fightin’ bunch. We always preferred usin our words then our hooves…” Macintosh turned back, and looked over the bottles a moment, “When I got back…. I couldn’t cope… Started drinkin hard, spent more then my shares of nights in the jail… family got my head on straight, but still…” the large stallion looked, his mouth working, “Some nights…”

Cloudkicker walked up, and patted the stallions back, at a loss for words. Smiling appreciatively, Macintosh nodded, and said a soft thanks, then sighed again

“But… what happened to me pales compared to Joshua…”

“Joshua?”

Macintosh nodded, and looking down said, “He was a proelium magi.(2)”

Cloud Kicker gasped, and took a step back.

“Mac, you have one of those things at your house?”

At this, the stallion bolted up, and in a flash, turned to the mare. Leaning forward, nostrils flared and eyes livid, he snarled. Just a quickly, Garret was at his side, hand against his chest, urging him back.

“Easy big guy… she didn’t know…”

Looking up, the stallion rumbled, “I won’t have her talking about Joshua like that.”

“I’m sorry Mac…” both males looked back, and ears flitting to her skull, Cloud Kicker looked down.

“I saw what one of them did to the enemy…. And how she sacrificed a bunch of ours to do it.”

Macintosh shook his head.

“Well, Joshua ain’t like her…” at the mention of the human, the stallion scowled. “He was like everyone else…”

Macintosh shook his head.

“No, he was better than us. He wept as he did what he had to do. It haunts him to this day. He can’t even enjoy a campfire because it reminds him of what he used to bring down his enemies. He curls in a corner all winter because it reminded of how he used frost to freeze gryphons in midair, and watch them shatter when they fell… Every storm, he covers his head, every bolt reminding him of his sins.”

Tears streaming down his cheeks, Macintosh bellowed, “And unlike you buckin’ Kickers, when he comes home, what does he get for all his sacrifice? Maybe a nice statue next to your precious Shadow?”

Pulling away from Garret, Macintosh stomped out, but paused at Cloudkickers side.

“Didn’t he bleed, burn, and give enough for you? He faced all the horrors of war, and how did the diarchy and nobles and military reward him? (3)”

Leaping up, Cloud Kicker shouted, “Hey, damn it! They didn’t have a choice! After Tanya, what were they supposed to do?”

Macintosh shook his head.

“Magic… it was a part of him Cloud. A part he didn’t know he had, which he trained to hone and use properly.”

Looking at her evenly, he said “How would you feel, if after your whole life, you finally flew, and then because they thought you’d make a tornado, they clipped your wings?”

Turning from her in disgust, the stallion walked out.

……………………………………………………………………………………………….

Macintosh fumed as he walked past ponies and humans, both giving the stallion wide berth . Coming to the fountain, he paused, looking at one of the benches. Sitting on his haunches, he regarded the faded wood.

Applebloom weaved and danced under her sisters and brothers legs, the two closest things in her life discussing the plans for the day, and prices setting. Chuckling, Mac looked away, and paused. Across from him, a human in rags slumped, surrounded by young foals. Coming close, Macintosh began to hear there talk.

“Hey mister.” A blue and white maned filly said softly, “Why you cryin…?”

Slowly, the human covered his face in his hands, and Mac could see shackles around his wrists, and a leather collar around his neck, both covered in runes. The human spoke, and Mac’s jaw fell. It couldn’t be…

“Because…. I did a lot of bad things, and lost a lot of friends…” as he spoke, and earth pony mare bolted across the plaza, and glaring at the human, began to herd the little ones away, ignoring the cries of protest and questions. Slowly, Mac walked up, and said, “Joshua…?”

Slowly, the human lowered his head, and smiling softly, said “Hey private.”

Putting a hoof on the humans shoulder, Macintosh continued, “Joshua… what happened to you?”

Shaking his head, Joshua replied, “Oh Mac… what happened? Wasn’t this home when I left?

Shaking his head, Macintosh stood again. The memories of that time in the Westmarch still fresh, the stallion’s resolve strengthened. Joshua didn’t give up on him, or any of his fellow citizens, and Macintosh wouldn’t give up on Joshua.

......................................................................

A armored pegasus stood silently at the door of the office, face neutral as he waited. Horn glowing a moment, the receptionist said nasally “Commander Swiftblade?(1)”

The stallion nodded, and nodding back, the mare said, “He’ll see you now.”

Tucking his helm under a wing, the pegasus smiled at the somewhat portly and jovial unicorn. Horn covered in its aura, the unicorn closed the door.

“Number three I presume?”

The pegasus nodded, giving a slight smile.

“Your number one?”

The unicorn nodded, and tilted his head towards the another door.

“My office is in here. Must have privacy you know.”

“I do. Now, what is so important?”

Looking over his shoulder, the unicorn chuckled.

“You, my dear fellow, are about to meet our architect, the one who started it all.”

Though his face gave no indication, the pegasus was instantly intrigued. He had heard rumors of course, but nothing he did gathered anything concrete. Walking through the door, he looked around, and gasped. Helm clattering as it fell from it now loose wing, he stammered, “Wait…. You’re a…”

The biped pulled a cigarrete from his mouth, and regarded the stallion. The human appeared to be middle aged, its body still retaining the muscle of active you. Pushing out the cigarrete in an ash tray, the human said, “That’s right. I’m a child of the Territories.”

“Why would you do this?”

The human walked back to the window, and folded his hands behind his back.

“Commander… my people, for all their wonderful attributes, can be weak. I needed to see if we were ready for the role of Equestria’s defense.”

Turning back, he tapped the folder on the desk.

“We are.”

Walking over, Commander Swiftblade looked at the manila folder.

“And that is…?”

The human put his hand palm down, and tilted his head.

“Before I answer that Commander, I need to know: are you in?”

“To my dying breath. Zero.”

Author's Note:

Thanks, as always, to Chengar-sama for his archetype. Sorry this chapters short, but I wanted to get this out. Not only to continue the story, but make a plea. Every day, our soldiers return home, some crippled in body, others in heart and mind. These brave men and women have given their all, and sometimes their lives, so that we may be free. Whatever your thoughts on politics, we should be helping them. Please, make a donation, like to the Wounded Warrior Project, or if you can't do that, simply donate your time.

1) The gryphon war lasted two months, and for all intents and purposes, had brought the gryphon empire to an end

2)The battle mage. Of the first one hundred students of Luna, twenty-seven served during the war, their elemental magic used to devastating effect.

3)Once the battle mages returned, they found themselves underfire. Too appease political agitators, it was agreed all battle magi would wear inhibitor collars around their necks and wrists.

4) Swiftblade is an old pegasi custom. it is automatically given to any pegasi born with the double edged sword on their sides, though this occurring is rare. Both Swiftblade the sire and Swiftblade the mare in Ponyville were born with crossed swords as cutie marks. For simplicities sake, his daughter is often referred to as Swift or Swifty
Comments are more then welcome, and any help offered greatly appreciated

Comments ( 6 )

Hmmm... Came here via the Winningverse group page. It's not bad. Oh, a few grammatical clunkers here and there that could stand to be cleaned up by a proofreader with a Manual of Style close by, and the narrative is a bit difficult to track when one comes into the sub-universe cold...

But, for all of that, I kinda like it. Not enough to give you the thumbs up (sorry), but I see some intriguing things here. I hope you haven't File-13'ed the continuation....

3381124
Oh no, not at all^^ I plan on continuing it, just been a bit busy. Thanks for the read

3414526
I'll give you three guesses, but you'll only need one!

3570790
This arc is finished. Talvisota is the second

Login or register to comment