• Published 28th May 2013
  • 830 Views, 29 Comments

The Winning pony and the Templar - Ebony Gryphon



Cloud Kicker becomes a patron at a human bar

  • ...
27
 29
 830

Chapter 4

Chane’s brow furrowed as stood on one hind leg, precariously balanced on a chair as he shelved a bag of flour. Pushing it into the shelf, he gave a nod of satisfaction. As he lowered the opposing leg, the chair began skidding slightly, putting the zebra off balance. Yelping in surprise, his forelegs scrambling for purchase as he began to fall backwards, he felt his perch beginning to fall back on it two back legs, and clenching his teeth for the impending ground, Chane fell back. The pain never came, only a slight grunt, and the feeling of something soft under him. As she was working, Fluttershy had seen her son, (the word still managing to send warm feelings in her heart), beginning to fall. Now, heart easing off its rapid pace, she lowered herself to let the zebra off her back.Giving a slight exhale of relief, she turned to Chane, and smiled.

“Chane, I appreciate your help, but really…”

The foal shook his head vehemently.

“Ms Fluttershy…” the Pegasus winced internally. She didn’t expect him to call mom or anything like that, but it still hurt the distance he kept between him and her, “I simply cannot lay around your cottage like a lump. I must earn my keep as a guest in….” the rest of Chane’s words were stilled as the mare pressed a hoof to his lips, a slight frown in place.

“Chane…” the zebra jumped slightly. Fluttershy wasn’t angry, but her tone was firm, and altogether serious, commanding his respect and undivided attention. Eyes not leaving his, she continued, “First of all, you are not a guest here. This is your home. Do you understand?”

Chane nodded.

Nodding back, she took her hoof away, and continued in the same no-nonsense tone.

“Secondly, you shouldn’t be concerning yourself in grown pony problems. Zecora and I are the adults, you are the child. Clear?”

At her words, the zebra’s eyes flashed.

“I am not a child. I passed the trials of adulthood!”

The mare shook her head.

“Not here in Equestria you haven’t.”

Seeing his scowl, Flutteryshy sighed, then smiled.

“Ok, how about this? Just for the next few days, you just worry about school and settling in. And for today, after I finish putting everything away, you can help me with dinner.”

Scowl softening, Chane gave a slight nod, then with a sigh, turned and walked to the couch. Jumping onto it, he shifted until he was comfortable, and watched as the Pegasus bustled about. As he watched, he felt something jab him in the side. Turning slightly, he regarded the rabbit sitting next to him, beady little blacks looking up at him angrily. Shrugging, he went back to his thoughts. Now furious, Angel thumped his right hind leg against the zebras haunch.

Slowly, Chane looked back, and then lowered his head to the rabbit’s level. Eyes narrowed, the zebra blew a gust of air out of his nostrils onto Angel. Tucking his forelegs to his chest, the rabbit leaned back slightly, giving a nervous smile. Chane just frowned, and after a moment, cocked a brow. And with that slight movement, Angel turned and jumped down off the couch. Cowering behind the table, he glared balefully up at his usurper.

……………………………………………….

Cloud Kicker watched as Garret sliced off another strip of steak from his plate, and then grimaced as he chewed, then swallowed the meat.

“I hope that’s not one of ours your chowing down on…”

The human shook his head.

“No, Territories oxen, not Equestrian cows or bulls.” Nodding towards the plate in front of the mare, he continued, “Enjoy your stir-fry?”

She thought it was delicious, but Cloud Kicker wasn’t about to give Garret the satisfaction. Giving a shrug of her wings, she replied, “Not bad.”

Slicing off another piece of steak, Garret raised a brow.

“Oh good, I’m glad to hear that. Wasn’t too sure since that’s your third plate…” Garret grunted slightly as the mares wing shot out to cuff him upside the head. Drawing it back, and blushing somewhat at being zinged, Cloud Kicker scowled.

“Hey, fuck you. Cloud wrangling eats up a lot of calories you bastard.”

Rubbing the spot on his head a moment, Garret grinned.

“Oh, your hard work definitely shows.”

Picking up his fork again, he brought the piece of steak up to his mouth, and as he did said, “You know, I’m impressed. Most equines can’t stand the sight, or smell, of meat, cooked or raw.”

Still happy from his compliment of her frame, damage control over his insult or not, Cloud Kicker answered, “Well, pegasi do eat fish. And I’ve had gryphons in my life now and again. Definitely exposes one to things most equines never see.”

With that, the two returned to their meal. Finishing hers first, Cloud Kicker licked her chops.

“Seriously, where did you learn to cook?”

The human shrugged, and took the plates to the sink.

“Again, had to relearn it all when my wife died. But even before I was married, I knew how to cook. I used to spend a lot of time out in the forest as a Templar. You’d be surprised how many times I’ve had too cook something on the fly out there.”

As he began to wash, Cloud Kicker asked, “What was your wifes name?”

“Kala.”

Somewhat encouraged, Cloud Kicker followed up her questions.

“Do you mind telling me what she was like?”

Stepping from the sink, Garret turned, and walked back to the couch.

“She was… confident. And kind. Stubborn as a mule, and loved the color blue.” Garret smiled as he sat down. “She was my best friend.”

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a photo. Looking over it, Cloud Kicker’s jaw dropped.

“You were married to her?”

“Impressed?”

Cloud Kicker nodded mutely.

“She’s… she was beautiful Garret…”the mare shot her hoof to her muzzle, eyes widened with shock. Before she could apologize, the human put the photo back into his pocket, and said simply, “Yeah, she was.”

As he sipped his drink, Cloud Kicker waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“I bet she was a great lay too…”

Looking at the mare out of the corner of his eye, Garret laid the glass back on the table, and said warningly, “Cloud…”

Nudging his arm with a hoof, Cloud Kicker forged ahead.

“Oh come on. Give me something? I’ll tell you one of mine.”

Garret rolled his eyes, and leaned back against the couch.

“You can’t compare one of your conquests with my wife.”

“Why? Cause a proper mare shouldn’t talk about these sort of things?”

The human looked at the pony evenly.

“No. Because I don’t think any of those people loved you.”

Cloud Kicker winced, and rubbed her foreleg with a hoof, looking away from the human.

“That’s not… true…”

“It’s not?”

Looking back, the mare shook her head.

“Well, yeah! I know the difference between banging and lovemaking. Like with….” Cloud Kicker paused, and gnawed her lip a moment.

“Like with Derpy.”

“What was she like?”

The mare giggled.

“She was a klutz. I remember the first words I ever heard from her were “I don’t know what went wrong!’ That was way back in flight camp, and it would be years before I saw her again. Third day in Ponyville, most pregnant mare I’ve ever seen saunters up, asking me to fuck her silly.”

Seeing the look on his face, she amended, “I didn’t of course! She was all hopped up on hormones, would have been no better then hopping in the sack with a drunk. A few month later, gave birth to the cutest filly in all of Equestria, and took in Sparks.”

Garret nodded.

“Oh yeah, Cal’s girl right?”

“You know the human?”

“Brother in law.”

Cloud Kicker frowned.

“May I be direct Garret?”

“Proceed.”

“I love Sparkler like she was my own. She’s tough as all get out, but she’s got a soft heart under the shell. If Cal breaks her heart, I’ll break his legs.”

Chuckling, Garret nodded.

“Fair enough. I take it you two were pretty serious?”

“Nah. Like I said, I’m not in for the long term.”

“Huh?”

“Ok, look, I loved Derps more then anypony in the world. That’s why I couldn’t get serious with her, you know?”

Seeing the look in his eyes, Cloud Kicker rubbed the end of her snout.

“Ok… lets see… I love the idea of marriage. When I was a filly, I used to love the idea of finding my special somepony, getting married, growing old… But, in the end, I couldn’t. It wouldn’t have been fair to Derpy, and wouldn’t have been right to say I was committed when I wasn’t.”

The mare wiped a tear from her eye with a wing.

“And then that… fucking tumor got her…”

“Cloud Kicker….”

“Its ok… Me and her slept together one last time the day she died, so…”

Cloud Kicker jumped slightly as the glass slid from Garret’s fingers, and he looked over at her.

“What?”

Bristling somewhat from his glare, she replied, “Hey, save your preaching! This ain’t no church.”

Leaning forward, Garret moaned.

“A mare was dying… cancer eating her, and you…”

“Hey! I made her last day special…”

The human snarled, “Don’t fucking kid yourself!”

Cloud Kicker leaned away from Garret, eyes wide.

“Don’t kid yourself Cloud Kicker… what you did, you did just for you…”

Silence ruled the living room of the mare. After his two bits, Garret merely pulled out a smoke, and settled into a stubborn silence, while Cloud Kicker sat next to him, infuriated at the humans gall. For a few moments, she considered bucking the male out of her apartment and out of her life, but with a snort, she merely looked away from the human to the floor. Minutes passed, and her anger morphed into a sick sadness in the pit of her stomach. Wings going slightly limp in her misery, the pony became lost in her thoughts

Before tonight, Cloud Kicker never talked about Derpy. At all. After her lover’s death, an event that easily equaled, and may very well surpassed the death of her mother, the pegasus entered perhaps the darkest moment of her life. Despite her outward strutting, inside, Cloud Kicker had basically shut down. And when Sparks and Dink’s needed her most, she had abandoned them. Rainbow Dash had gotten her shit together thankfully, and proved a superb parent. Not that I noticed though, Cloud Kicker amended in her head. Her frown deepened as she remembered sitting on this same couch she was on now, a brown bottle of pills in hoof, wanting it all to end…

“Cloud…”

The mare jumped slightly, and wiped her cheek. Looking at the slightly damp fur of a foreleg, she realized she’d been crying. Tapping the end of his smoke into his now empty glass, Garret continued.

“I’m sorry I made you cry. I meant what I said, and still believe it, but… I shouldn’t have dug into you like that.”

Sniffing, Cloud wiped her snout.

“It’s ok… but is it all right if I change the subject?”

“Fair enough…”

Sniffing again, Cloud Kicker leaned back against the couch, flopping her head back as she crossed her forelegs across her chest. Puckering her muzzle, she considered her options. Slowly, her muzzle lost its scrunched up look, but her eyes narrowed.

“You know my dad’s in town right?”

“Yes…”

She looked over at the human, and putting out his smoke, Garret looked back.

“It’s just… he seems pretty chummy with that Atticus, you know?”

“Well, Tornado is his commander…”

The lavender coated mare shook her head.

“Its more than that… When my dad thought no one was looking, I saw him looking at Atticus with this weird expression.”

“What… you think he’s sweet on him or something?”

“Celestia’s sake, my dad? I don’t think he’s ever been really smitten with anyone, least of all another… male…” slowly a look of horrified comprehension came over Cloudkicker’s muzzle, and her misery was in an instant doubled. Groaning, she face hoofed.

“What?”

“A lot of my foalhood just made an awful lot of sense!”

……………………………………………………………

A recent staple of the human culture came about within the couple of months before the raid on the first settlement. Before the raid, numerous equine nobles and entreapaneurs endeavored to remove humanity entirely from Equestria, either through threats, financial undermining, political double talk, or legal meandering and chicanery. Mostly these efforts were ignored by both the humans and the Diarchy, however, some of the more tenacious and persistent equines were displayed in a black faux leather journal, which was passed out among almost all the human populace.

The bingo book.

Once labeled as a threat, and placed in the tome, equines often found themselves confronted with humans who two minutes ago speaking perfect Equestrian, suddenly reverting into the ancient human tongue, unable to understand anything the pony was saying. Of course, this behavior tended towards civilians. Currently active, or inactive or former members of the humans army treated the book with an almost reverence, once seeing the pony matching up, would lock their steely gaze upon them until they left their town, and even among the farmers and business owners, the pages were memorized, and the second one of that pictures was matched, word was sent to every soldier. These channels were doubled and tightened after the raid.

And that was why a young human male jogged into the café, and tugged on Atticus shirt. As the human knelt, the boy stood on tip toes, and cupped his hand over the adults ear. After a moment of quick whispers, Atticus’s features hardened somewhat, and as the child ran back out of the café, Atticus rose, and turned to a curious Tornado Kicker.

“Sir, we have a problem.”

……………………………………………………………………………….

Captain Wind, or Aunt Wind as she was known to a certain local playmare, regarded the humans wandering about their work, or staring at her with arms crossed, an expression of what she wrongfully assumed was fear across their features. Savages, she thought. Creatures like this could never see reason, could only understand dominance or a whip across their backs. A whole village burned to the ground, and despite the Royalty and human republic making it look like a bandit raid, the message should have been clear that they were not welcome. Sadly, most of her comrades, good honest Celestia loving soldiers thank you very much, did not see the humans as worthy of their attention. And the very idea of such things being placed in Wind’s beloved Guard, serving as equals in it, was enough to make the mare want to rip out her own pinions in frustration.

Speaking of frustration… eyes burning with contempt, she regarded the stallion who trotted up to her, its pet human in tow.

“Tornado.”

The stallion nodded.

“Wind.”

Smiling sweetly, the mare said, “Traitor.”

Keeping his stoic guard face, the stallion retorted, “Bench.”

Outwardly still smiling, Wind instantly seethed inside. A bench, the slur similar, though worse then the humans cunt or whore, basically meant the female in question was easy, good for only breeding or as a bedroom toy. Sweet smile still in place, she replied cooly “I think you’ve been too long amongst the humans my dear.”

Closing his eyes, Tornado inhaled deeply, then at the exhale, opened his eyes again, gazing sternly at Wind.

“What do you want Captain?”

“Straight to the point as always. As I understand it, young Cloudy has become friends with a ex-templar named Garret. You and I both know who this man is, what he did, and why the clan is… concerned with this situation.”

At this, Tornado flicked an ear, and grimaced.

“I fail, captain, to see how any relationship my daughter has is any of the clans business.”

Shaking her head sadly, Wind tsked.

“Once again, Tornado, you let your feelings cloud your judgement. In any case, I have no feud with Cloud Kicker, I’m just here to visit a friend in the hospital.”

Tornado Kicker regarded Wind a moment, then spat, “Fine.”

He bared his teeth as he walked forward.

“Just so we’re clear though…” to her credit, Wind didn’t back down as the stallion walked up, and towered over the smaller equine. But she was forced to take a couple of steps back when a hoof pressed to her front and pushed her back, and Tornado Kicker snarled, “Nobody messes with my foal. Get it?”

…………………………………………………………………

Wind trudged through the woods, head low, wings dragging. She wouldn’t weep, not there. Not in front of her fellow pony’s, and definitely not in front of the savages. Show no fear, no weakness. She snorted as her sergeants words echoed through her head. She might be a soldier, but her friend was dead, and all she wanted to do now was weep. Suddenly, she felt herself under someones shadow. Looking up, she gazed at the stone carving.

Eyes wide with all her malice and hate, Nightmare Moon glared down at the pegasi. Undaunted, Wind sat down in front of the testament to the princesses past, and tilted her head. It was hard to imagine that Luna she knew was at one time was that monster. Looking back down, Wind clenched her eyes shut. Her entire frame shook as her tears leaked out.

“Captain.”

Gasping, Wind leapt to her feet in a blur of movement. Whipping around, wings flared out in a combat pose, she looked towards the source of the voice. Her features tightened when she saw it was Tornado’s pet human. Snorting, she folded her wings to her side again, though her muzzle retained its angry expression.

“Is there something wrong…” she grimaced further, and spat out the next word as though its presence in her muzzle was disgusting, “…Lieutenant. “

“No ma’am. I was concerned though for your safety.”

Wind regarded Atticus a moment, then with a sigh, turned back to the statue. Regarding it a moment, she said, in a somewhat nicer tone then she did when she first turned, “I’m fine, Lieutenant. I apologize.”

The human walked up next to the mare, and though she tensed somewhat with his proximity, she made no efforts to stop him.

“For what, ma’am?”

“For… my behavior in town, and right now.” Seeing the human about to protest, she raised a forehoof to stop his words.

“I don’t apologize, or at least I haven’t for awhile. Just take it.”

Atticus nodded, and looked back to the statue. For a moment, the two stood in silence.

“Is there… something else Lieutenant.”

“Yes captain. Why? When I saw you before, you were glaring at everyone of my people as though they did something too you. And though at the time we hadn’t spoken, I was worried I had done something to offend you.”

The mare looked up at the human out of the corner a moment, then said, “My friend commited suicide today.”

Atticus looked down.

“I’m sorry. Sadly, that’s a more common thing in our line of work then it should be.”

Wind shook her head.

“She… she didn’t kill herself because of fatigue or ptsd, Lieutenant…” the pony’s shuddered, “She was raped…” seeing the human cover his mouth, she turned her head to look up at him again.

“By three of your people.”

The human looked away from the equines gaze, and whispered, “I’m… I’m so sorry ma’am. How… how could she... hurt herself though? Wasn’t she in the hospital?”

Snorting, Wind rose of her hindquarters, and dusted the leaves and debris with her tail.

“For all the good it did. Useless doctors and nurses…” she turned and began to walk away. “But they aren’t the ones I blame.” And with that, the pony left the human alone.

One week later...

Tornado tapped his hoof impatiently against the boards of the train stations floors, standing then sitting again as though there were a tack under his haunch. Tilting forward, he looked down the tracks, and seeing nothing in the distance, let out an annoyed snort before leaning back.

Sighing, Atticus removed the watch from his pocket, and studied it a moment.

“Calm down sir, it should arrive any time now.”

Scowling, Tornado turned his head to glare up at his subordinate, and opened his muzzle to put the human in his place. Suddenly, a blare of a horn in the distance stilled his wrath, and snapping his jaw and ears perked to their fullest, he hopped onto all fours. The train barreled down the tracks, and began to slow as it came around the bend. Grinning like a foal at Heartswarming, he waved eagerly at a figure in the window. As the train slowed, then stopped, the carriage doors flew open, and a squeal of excitement hurt all ears present as a white and lavender blur streaked out.

Tornado Kicker acked as the streak collided with his neck, knocking up on his hindlegs a moment, but he maintained his balance to fall back on his forehooves. Still catching the breath knocked out of him, he laughed as he wrapped his forelegs around the giggling, squirming foal nuzzling his neck as she clutched him tightly around his neck.

“Daddy!”

Gently undoing her grip, Tornado Kicker set Alula back down onto the platform. Staring down at her a moment, he felt his usual warm fuzzies in his heart whenever he saw one of his foals, and leaning forward, he nuzzled the top of her head, letting a paternal rumble. Giggling at the somewhat silly big cat sound her sire made from time to time, Alula leaned into the affection.

“Oh, its soooooooo good to see you daddy!”

Chuckling, the stallion leaned back, regarding the filly.

“By the diarchy child, you’re growing like a weed. What are you aunt and uncle feeding you?”

Giggling, Alula shrugged her wings, then made a scrunched muzzle look of annoyance.

“A lot of vegetables and milk… “

Snickering at his foals look, the stallion nuzzled her head again.

“It builds character my love.”

Rolling her eyes, Alula quipped, “I think I’ve got enough character thanks.”

Still smiling, though his eyes suddenly sad, Tornado Kicker muttered, “Your mother would have been so proud…”

Seeing her tilt her head up then to the left, and the look in her eyes, Tornado Kicker cleared his throat. Looking back to the train, he said cheerfully, “So, where’s Eli?”

Looking down again, Alula said softly, “Umm, still on the train. He’s grabbing my books and stuff..” casting her eyes upwards and putting them into puppy mode, Alula asked, “Umm, dad? Is it okay if I go and see if Dink’s home? I haven’t seen her in a while…”

Smile fading that his little foal didn’t want to spend her father’s last day in town with him, it lifted again as he remembered why Eli and Swiftblade were moving to this town with Alula in the first place. Nodding, he said, “Of course. I have to talk to your uncle anyway. Atticus here will take you, and I’ll pick you up later.”

Nodding excitedly, the filly walked up to the human, and ducked her head slightly in shyness.

“Umm, Its very nice to meet you sir.”

Nodding, the human replied warmly, “And it is my sincere please to meet you, Ms. Alula.” As he watched his daughter warm up slightly to the larger being before her, Tornado Kicker chuckled softly. Turning his head back to the train, he regarded the human walking down the steps. Carrying a suitcase in one hand, the stallion knew that across the clenched hand was the word love tattooed across the knuckles, and briefly Tornado glimpsed hate tattooed across the opposing hand. Both sleeves of the humans white shirt were rolled up, revealing a skull on one arm, the other being bare. Atop the man’s head was a blue yarmulke, the hair under it a black combed neatly into place. Both bottle green eyes regarded the equine warmly.

“Yo.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Eli and Tornado sat contentedly next to each other, watching as the parade of life passed them by, neither saying a word since they’d gotten there. Deciding to fill the void, the stallion asked, “How’s she been? Alula, I mean.”

Eli rubbed his chin a moment, then replied simply, “Not so good. She’s been happier since she heard she was moving here, but before… She just threw herself into school. And when she outdid students and teachers alike, she just closed herself off in her room with her books. It scared me.”

The stallion looked down.

“Sorry Eli. I’ve tried, you know?”

Smiling warmly, Eli clapped the stallion on the back.

“I do. And so does Alula. She such a fine young lady, and its been and honor you letting me and Swift take her in. And we all know what a beast the military can be on families. But just know, me and my wife will do all we can to make sure she’s happy and healthy, and has the best education we can give her.”

Chuckling, the stallion nudged Eli with a wing.

“I’d imagine Cheerillees not exactly thrilled with a homeschoolers in her territory.”

Rolling his eyes, the human replied curtly, “She insists on seeing our credentials, workbooks, and surprise inspections.”

………………………………………………………………………………

Tornado yawned as he walked to the front of Rainbow’s house, and as he raised his hoof to knock, it opened. Blinking at the sudden movement, he nodded at Sparkler, who made shush noise. Leaning forward, she whispered, “She’s asleep…”

The stallion tapped his hoof to his chin a moment, then smiling, whispered something back. Eyes wide, Sparkler asked, “You sure?”

Shrugging one wing with a sheepish grin, the other still in its wrappings, the stallion whispered back, “Pretty soon, she’ll be to big to want too anymore.”

Rolling her eyes, Sparkler walked back in, the equine behind her tiptoeing into the living. Suddenly, the unicorn’s horn lit up slightly, and covered the pegasus filly in its aura. Slowly lifting the pony and floating her through the air, she gently laid her across her father’s back. Smiling in her sleep, Alula nuzzled into her father’s mane, and sighed contentedly. After making sure she was on somewhat securely, Tornado gave a soft thank you, and then walked back to his daughter’s new home.

……………………………………………..

“Dad…?” Alula fluttered her eyes open, and smiled at her father as he laid her blanket over her. Squirming under the covers, she yawned, and smacked her lips.

“Will… will you be here when I get up?”

Shaking his head sadly, Tornado replied, “Sorry sugar cube. I got to get up real early to catch my train to Canterlot.” He wiggled his bandaged wing slightly, eliciting a slight giggle. “Got to get this fixed up.”

Leaning his head down, he made the same growling purr of contentment he did at the train station, and said “Good night. I’ll see you in a few weeks.”

Giggling temporarily postponed on account of exhaustion, Alula gave a tired nuzzle in return.

“Bye dad. I love you.”

Author's Note:

Thanks, as always, to Chengar. I did editing again, though I probably screwed up. Comments critiques are always welcome