• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,152 Views, 22 Comments

Twilight's Conquest - QuillStroke



No matter how great some things are, there are always downsides. Unfortunately, some people can't accept these downsides peacefully and seek revenge.

  • ...
11
 22
 1,152

The First One is Always the Hardest

Twilight walked through the town, looking for a specific path outside of town. Finally, after a few minutes of walking, she found the path she was looking for. A thin yellow path winding its way out of Ponyville and to a cottage, Fluttershy's cottage. Twilight continued walked, realizing with every step that she was getting closer to the point of no return. Once this had been done, nothing could stop the chain of events, and every single step, no matter how hard, could not be where she stopped. Not until it was all over.

Finally seeing the cottage, she took a deep breath and walked forward. Reaching the door, she raised her hoof and gently knocked on the wood. After a few moments, the top half of the dutch doors opened, and a yellow pegasi with pink hair and three pink butterflies for her cutie mark stuck her head out to see who had knocked.

"Oh. Hello Twilight. Come inside." She said as she backed away, opening the bottom half of the door so her alicorn friend could enter the house. Twilight walked inside, taking notice of the lack of noise usually accompanied by Discord, who had decided to live with Fluttershy, his one and only true friend.

"Where's Discord? He's not going to pop out or scare me by turning into a snake again, is he?" Twilight asked, cautiously searching around for him. She expected him to pop out and scare her, something he believed to be a friendly way of greeting anyone who came by. How Fluttershy, the most timid pegasus in Equestria, dealt with this was confusing, but it seemed to work for everyone, so nopony complained.

"Oh no, Discord isn't here. He decided he should look for a new place to live. He said something about Ponyville not being chaotic enough, but he doesn't want to disturb anypony. So, he decided to look for a cave somewhere in the outskirts of Manehatten. He told me he would get a message to me once he finds a new cave, and he promised he would come to visit. But it has been awfully quiet since he left." Fluttershy said, surprisingly missing the usual trouble he creates.

"Well, I'm sure he'll write to you soon. In the meantime, I was wondering if I could borrow an animal of yours. I want to test a few new spells but I need a living test subject." Twilight said, looking around at the several animals in their usual places in her cottage. Each one of them glaring at her, as if they could read her intentions,unlike Fluttershy, who is usually paranoid about this sort of thing.

"Oh, I see. Well, normally I'd be a bit more cautious, but after that time when Princess Celestia brought the delegates from Saddle Arabia, I completely trust you with them. What kind of animal are you looking for? A fuzzy little one like a bunny or a squirrel or a ferret? Or a bigger one like a kitten or a beaver? Or a flying one?" Fluttershy asked, pointing out where all the animals were. Twilight looked around the living room, noticing the ferrets first. They would make good subjects, they're easy to kill, even without magic. She looked over at the birds next. If anything went wrong, they would fly away instead of warning Fluttershy. Then, finally, she spotted a little white rabbit sitting by himself on the couch in an ignorant position, Angel.

"How about Angel? I'm sure he wouldn't mind it, seeing as he had fun flying last time I needed him." Twilight said, recalling Angel being enthusiastic about being propelled through the air by Twilight and her magic. Angel looked up, hearing his name called, wondering what they were talking about.

"What do you think Angel? Would you like to help Twilight with her magic?" Fluttershy asked, giving a reassuring look to Angel, who did not need it. Angel jumped up excitedly, and ran up to Twilight, despite the warning looks he was receiving from the other animals.

"Excellent. Follow me Angel, we're going to have to be outside for this one." Twilight said, walking towards to back door of the cottage, all the animals in her way scurrying away to avoid her. Angel followed behind her, blindly walking towards his own death with the expectations of joy bouncing around in his head. Reaching farther in the backyard than anypony had ever gone besides Fluttershy to take care of the plants, Twilight pointed out a spot for Angel to stand. Following her orders, he stood in the spot, preparing himself to fly again and closing his eyes. Twilight rooted herself down and aimed her horn at the small bunny, knowing full well he would not be flying when she cast her spell, or ever again for that matter.

"Alright Angel, hold still, this will only take a second to charge up." Twilight said, beginning the chant in her mind for the next spell from the ancient spell book. Her horn began glowing its usual color of purple, which quickly began travelling across the spectrum until it became green. Angel seemed to be taking no notice of this at all as he awaited the spell. Finally, Twilight let out a hushed shout, loud enough to travel a few feet, but still full of power in her voice.

"MORTEM!" A green blast made its way over to Angel's body, the green reflecting over his fur for a brief moment before finally enveloping him in its bright light. His body fell limp to the floor, no signs of life showing from the bunny that was so full of life and joyful expectations just a few seconds ago. Twilight walked over to his body to investigate it, poking it with her hoof. She used her magic to turn him over, his eyes closed and his mouth frozen in a smile, as though he were still expecting her magic to lift him into the air and swirl him around again.

"Angel?" Twilight said, testing if he was just stunned or sleeping. Feeling his chest, she noticed there was no heart beat, no pulse, and no signs of movement. Angel was dead, just as the spell was meant to do to him. Now she could begin the next part of her experiment.

"Alright, let's try this one now." She said, readying her magic again, pointing her horn at the deceased bunny. Her horn glowing its purple color once more, this time changing into a sickly black color with a gray aura around it fading until it became white around the edges of the glow. She let out another shout, this one coming out almost as a whisper.

"Internum Animant!" A black flash of lightning blasted towards the corpse, creating a bridge between Twilight's horn and Angel's body. A gray stream headed along the bridge towards his body, becoming whiter than his fur as it drew closer to him. Finally, reaching him, the black stream disappeared back into Twilight's horn and the gray stream retreated into Angel's body, causing a glow to emit around him. His body levitated up slightly, before finally falling back to the ground. The glow gone, and still no signs of life. Twilight stared at the body, confused as to why the spell didn't work. She waited another moment before approaching his body and checking for any signs of life again. Nothing seemed to have changed, aside from his fur becoming dirty from falling onto the ground.

Why didn't the spell work? She had done it the right way, hadn't she? The spell book showed a picture with the exact same events occurring. Everything had been exactly like in the book. The same chant, the same magical glow, the same colors, everything was the same. Except for-

"ANGEL!" Fluttershy yelled, standing across the field, staring from Angel to Twilight, then back to Angel. She flew towards him, faster than she had ever flown in her life, frantic to help him, denying the truth she didn't want to face. She picked up his body and began to cry.

"Twilight! What did you do?!? I thought you were just going to make him fly again! Or make him taller! But not this! How could you?!?" Fluttershy asked, becoming hysterical and weeping on the ground, her tears falling on Angel's smile. Twilight stood over her, regret in her eyes, but she knew she could not stop now. The first kill was the hardest, the first of anything was hard. But she knew the more she did it, the easier it would become.

"I'm sorry Fluttershy, but I couldn't stand you being the first one I did this too. I didn't want to rick anything going wrong and you not being able to join us for what's going to happen." Twilight said, her eyes becoming cold and emotionless as she walked closer towards the yellow pegasus. Fluttershy, taking notice of her walking closer, got up, dropping Angel's body on the ground as she backed away.

"What are you talking about, Twilight? I thought we were friends, why would you do this? And what do you mean you didn't want me to be the first?" Fluttershy asked, her voice quivering along with her body. She began to back away faster, before bumping into a tree and lowering her body in an attempt to hide from Twilight, who was now only a few feet away from her.

"I need to do something Fluttershy, but I can't do it without my friends. And I know nopony would volunteer for what I have in mind. Let's just say I need us all to make a visit to the Princess." Twilight said, preparing herself for a spell again. This time, her aim fell on Fluttershy, who was now cowering fully and hiding her face while quietly weeping.

"Please, Twilight. Don't do this." Fluttershy said, knowing it would not stop her. Twilight began chanting again, recalling the same spell she had used to murder Angel only minutes ago. Her horn began to glow again, turning green faster than before. This time her shout was a shout, louder than the one before, echoing around the cottage, too far away from Ponyville for anypony to hear it and investigate.

"MORTEM!" The green light flew out once more, reflected in Fluttershy's eyes as she looked up before it struck her and enveloped her in its glow. Like Angel, she fell over, lifeless. Her eyes however, remained open, reflecting the image of one of her closest friends who had murdered as part of some elaborate and twisted plot. Twilight looked at her for a moment before she began to cry. She had known it would be hard, but she never imagined it could be this difficult to do. She quickly put herself back together, not sure if this spell had a time limit. She charged her magic again, and once again whispered her next spell.

"Iterum Animant!" The black lightning once again flew out of her horn, and attached itself to Fluttershy's body, then the gray and white stream came out and the lightning retreated. It had all gone like the attempt with Angel, but this time the glow around the corpse didn't stop. It seemed to dim, before finally it faded away. Fluttershy stood up and opened her eyes, which had gone from their normal turquoise and were now milky white with no visible pupils. She opened her mouth, but only a groan came out, yet it was still soft as her voice was always gentle.

Twilight finally realized why the spell didn't work with Angel. The pictures in the book were all sentient beings that could talk. That meant that wild animals could not be affected. These spells must only work on talking creatures who can communicate and follow orders. Although, it seemed the death spell worked just fine, which meant she would need more experimenting. Luckily for her, she had all the animals she could need in the cottage only a few hundred feet away. But she couldn't risk anypony seeing Fluttershy looking like this, her feathers now becoming a paler yellow and her hair fading colors.

"Fluttershy, I order you to go hide in the basement of your cottage. Don't come out unless I order you to, understand?" Twilight said, speaking slowly to make sure she understood her. Fluttershy nodded, and flew away quietly to her cottage and went through the cellar door, leaving Angel's body on the ground where it originally was. Twilight walked slowly back towards the cottage, knowing she had the rest of the day to experiment and find out just which spells worked on wild animals and which didn't. Not to mention practicing so her new spells would not take longer. Perhaps soon, she would be able to fire them of instantaneously without chanting, she smiled to herself. This was going better than expected.