• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,151 Views, 22 Comments

Twilight's Conquest - QuillStroke



No matter how great some things are, there are always downsides. Unfortunately, some people can't accept these downsides peacefully and seek revenge.

  • ...
11
 22
 1,151

Evil Ambitions

The door to the library opened and shut soon after as a purple alicorn walked into the main room of her tree carved house. She walked in with a bag containing several items, obviously laced with traces of magic due to the bags ominous dark blue glow. The alicorn placed the bag down onto a table and walked towards a shelf covered with books. Using her own magic, a purple glow overtook most of the books on the shelf and moved them away, revealing a hidden compartment. Her magic then opened the compartment door, which had a golden alicorn symbol on it. Inside was a wooden box and a book that seemed as aged as Celestia herself. The alicorn opened the box, already containing several items and added the glowing bag.

The alicorn then put the box back into the compartment, closing the door and concealing it again with the surplus of books originally crammed into the spaces on the shelf. All the while, her face never changed expressions. Her eyes stayed blank, almost soulless, with a small smile, as if she was imagining her plan coming true. She picked the book up with her magic, and spoke with a whisper.

“Aperti.”. As she spoke the foreign word, the book began to open itself and flipped through all its pages, each one glowing different colors and revealing different spells, until it had flipped through them all. It then slammed itself shut and reopened to the first page. To the average person, this would have been a frightening spectacle, but the purple alicorn had seen it more than enough times to know nothing would happen. She looked through some spells, recalling her research as to what the language said. But even one as smart as herself could not translate from scratch what every word meant, and was only able to decipher what each spell did, with the help of some drawings of course. Drawings surely left by some ancient who discovered the book, or even created it.

Knowing what she wanted to read, the book opened to a page, a light blue glow emitting from the ink used to print the ancient words. On the top of the page, the ancient language had one largely printed word on it. The picture showed a unicorn facing an earth pony, a flying Pegasus, and another unicorn. In the next panel, the unicorn stood where it was in the previous picture, but the earth pony now lie curled up on the floor. The pegasus, no longer flying, also lie on the floor, sleeping on its side while stretching out. The unicorn slept on its stomach, stretched out and resting its head on its arms. The alicorn reread the spell on top of the page over and over again, repeating it to herself until she had it memorized perfectly. Finally, feeling confident in herself, she opened her mouth and called out.

“Spike! Could you come down here please? I need help with a new spell.” Shortly after, a small purple dragon with green spikes came down the stairs. He wiped his eyes, clearly getting ready to go to sleep before being summoned. Finally, reaching the bottom of the stairs, he spoke.

“What is it? Can’t this wait until tomorrow? I was about to go to sleep. And when did you get back from…where did you say you went again? You've been travelling so much that I can’t keep track of it anymore.” Spike asked, wiping his eyes again and letting out a loud yawn.

“I was out in the Everfree Forest, I had to collect some ingredients from the forest for this spell. I stopped by Zecora’s hut to get them, but some of them grew out in the wild, so I had to get them myself.” Twilight Sparkle responded.

“First the Canterlot Library, then the Crystal Empire, and now the Evefree Forest? Not to mention all those stops you made to all those towns looking through their libraries. What are you up to that takes so much research? I mean, why not just ask Celestia for her help?” Spike responded, walking closer to the couch and sitting down on it.

“Because, Princess Celestia can’t know about this. She probably wouldn't even know how to read the books I got these spells from. It looks like nopony but myself has been able to translate them except for me.” Twilight said, putting on a smile as though to congratulate herself. She walked towards Spike and readied herself for her spell.

“What does this spell do anyway? Will it make me not tired or something?” Spike asked.

“Actually, it should put you to sleep. That’s why I don’t mind doing it at this time, seeing as this is when you usually go to sleep for the night.” Twilight responded, focusing herself again and repeating the spell in her head.

“Really!? Well then, fire away Twilight!” Spike said, a little excited for a spell that wouldn't require him to take notes on the effects or set up targets.

“Alright, hold still.” Twilight said, focusing her magic once again. She thought about the spell again, and her horn began glowing its usual purple glow, signifying her magic conjuring itself. But then, her horn changed colors, as it turned to a lighter purple, growing lighter and lighter until it became a dark blue. Even then it became lighter and lighter until it was glowing brightly with a light blue hue. Spike, noticing the color change, became concerned.

“Twilight? Are you OK? Your horn is glowing blue instead of its usual pur-“ Spike was cut off, as Twilight yelled out.

“SOMNUS!” A light blue bolt of magic shot out, hitting spike right in the chest. His eyes growing dimmer until he finally shut his eye lids and fell onto the couch and began to snore. Twilight wiped the sweat off of her forehead. She walked over to observe Spike, sleeping on the couch. Nothing seemed different from when he usually slept. “Spike. Spike! SPIKE!” She yelled louder each time, testing if he would wake up. He would not wake at all however. Exactly how Twilight had planned it.

Twilight went to the cellar door and opened it with her magic. She then picked up the sleeping baby dragon and gently placed him down in the cellar, locking the door behind her. She then retrieved the book and read over some pages again, each one reflecting different colors such as blue, red, green, purple, pink, orange; a full spectrum before her eyes. She looked at one page in particular for several moments, smiling evilly as she recalled again and again to herself what it did. Her eyes reflected the colors of the page as they glowed from black, to gray, to white, to gray, and back to black. They repeated this pattern several times until she realized she had been staring at it for several minutes. She had no time to waste, her plan required precise timing if she were to succeed.

“Propinquus.” She whispered to the book, which closed itself immediately. She then moved the books on the shelf and opened the secret compartment once again, revealing the compartment, which she opened once again. She gingerly placed the book and box inside, closing it and replacing the books when she was finished. She walked towards the door, preparing to depart. Before she left however, she looked at a picture on her mantle in an elegant frame. The picture was taken at last year’s Summer Sun Celebration.

The picture was of Twilight Sparkle and her best friends. All of them crowded in front of town hall after the festivities had ended and everypony else had gone home. She missed those days, when she was simply a unicorn. As happy as she was to be a princess and further her studies, being an alicorn had its downsides. But there was no time now to grieve about all the negative things she would have to face. She simply looked at the photo, imagining she was talking to all her friends at once, knowing full well she would not be able to say this to them once all was said and done.

“I’m sorry. Just promise me you’ll forgive me, because I know I’ll never get to hear you say it with my own ears after this is all done. But I promise you, it’s all for a good cause. I love you all, and I’m glad we met and had the adventures we had. I wish we could have had more, but this has to happen now. Just consider this our final adventure, one that we’ll take together and succeed, like we always do.” A single tear falling down her cheek as she turned and walked out, wiping away the tear. She walked out the door, closing it on her way out and heading towards the center of town.

Author's Note:

I was inspired by my friend xRezzurected to write my first dark story and continue with my first story some other time. Hopefully this turns out better, writing this is already pretty fun. I'll try to add a new chapter every weekend.