• Published 11th Feb 2012
  • 3,268 Views, 94 Comments

Grazioso - MadMan



Vinyl and Octavia show what true love is.

  • ...
2
 94
 3,268

Finale

The wind carried the refreshing scent of roses. A few dozen well-dressed guests sat at round tables underneath a large white awning. Behind them, a large ice statue stood, two glittering birds intertwined around a flowering rose. Outside, the sky was blue and clear, not a cloud to be seen. The faint sound of crashing waves could be heard from the bottom of the cliff, past which the ocean stretched to the horizon, and beautiful backdrop to complement the beautiful day.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to witness a union......."

On a podium in before the crowd stood three ponies. The pastor, dressed in somber grey robes, holding a brown book from which he read. Facing each other in front of him stood two mares. Octavia Philharmonica and Vinyl Scratch looked deep into each others eyes as they listened to the ceremony being read aloud. Nothing could distract them from this moment.

Looking close, Vinyl could see shy tears of joy gathering in Octavia's violet eyes, and she knew she had ones to match in her own. For the past three months, she had anxiously waited for this day. She had exercised the most patience she ever had while she waited for Princess Luna to come back and tell them the wedding was ready. Finally, when word came, Vinyl thought she was about to explode from excitement.

So now here they were, on a bluff high over the Eastern Sea, just outside of Canterlot. Princess Luna had searched far and wide for the best place, and to both mare's opinions, she had succeeded. Iron grey cliffs towered a hundred feet above the ocean's frothing swells, gleaming in the afternoon sun like uncountable gemstones. In the opposite direction, rolling green hills gently curved away towards the horizon. Canterlot loomed overhead, high upon the mighty mountain, a lone sentinel of the plains.

"Are there any here who have prior claim to Vinyl Scratch, and object to this marriage?"

Vinyl's breath faltered, and her heart seemed to jump into her thoat. She had gotten so lost in Octavia's eyes, she hadn't realized how far into the ceremony they were. She knew no pony had any objections, but that didn't mean it wasn't a tense moment regardless.

Silence.

"Are there any here who have prior claim to Octavia Philharmonica, and object to this marriage?"

Again, a moment of suffocating silence. Somepony coughed, but no objections were made.

"Octavia Philharmonica, do you take Vinyl Scratch to be your lawful wedded wife, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, as long as you both shall live?"

Octavia barely hesitated,her gaze remaining on Vinyl for just another second, before looking at the pastor, breaking eye contact for the first time the entire ceremony. Her voice came out proud and strong, but not loud. The wind was the only noise throughout the whole congregation, and even it held its breath while Octavia spoke.

"I do."

"Vinyl Scratch, do you take Octavia Philharmonica to be your lawful wedded wife, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, as long as you both shall live?"

Vinyl's heart suddenly decided to start beating in the place that her voice had just vacated. She felt a foolish smile accompany a blush to her face, before she turned to the pastor. She spoke, but her voice came out in such a whisper she wasn't sure if anypony but the pastor and Octavia heard.

"I do."

"By the power vested in me by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and the Grand Courts of Canterlot, I now pronounce you wife, and wife. Even unto death, may you live in each other’s hearts. You may now kiss the bride."


.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.


Vinyl relaxed against the soft pillows and sighed. The windows were open, tempting in any spring breeze that happened to pass. The gauze curtains fluttered gently, indicating a light wind had been tempted in, even if Vinyl couldn’t feel it. She could, however, feel Octavia cuddled up against her on a large pile of pillows. Her dark mane smelled lightly of citrus, with just a hint of other scents, mingling together to create a silhouette of aromas.

It was the afternoon after the ceremony, and after the various celebrations Vinyl and Octavia had retired back to the high tower suite reserved for them for the entire week. They had spent two nights there so far, and were looking forward to another three nights of blissful peace and supreme luxury, with every amenity a pony could wish for.

Vinyl closed her eyes for what she thought was only a moment, but when the hornless unicorn opened her eyes and leaned up from her place upon the pile of pillows, it was dark. She looked out of the open windows, up to the moon that now hung in the sky, like a glowing vessel upon a dark sea, slowly making its voyage from one patient horizon to another. Stars floated like so many miniscule fish around the ship that was the moon, shining and shimmering and scintillating.

As Vinyl was contemplating this, she realized she was cold. It was still early in the spring, and the night air still had a hint of frost to it. However, for one reason or another, Vinyl had a nagging suspicion that she shouldn’t be as chilly as she was. Further introspection into the situation lead Vinyl to the answer: Octavia had gone. Vinyl’s new wife had been keeping her warm with body heat, but now had vanished. The white DJ decided her first course of action should be finding her beloved.

Vinyl stood, much to the protest of various joints and ligaments that had become accustomed to the soft and lumpy pillows. She made her way across the suite to the master bedroom, and looked in the doorway. She was greeted by the sight she had been hoping for: Octavia sound asleep in the massive circular bed. Pillows and blankets were sprawled around her, and she had somehow burrowed into them, making an arrangement that looked more like a nest than a bed. Either way, the grey musical mare looked comfortable.

Vinyl leaned against the door frame, enraptured by the sight before her. Octavia looked so peaceful, Vinyl simply couldn’t bring herself to risk waking her wife up by climbing into bed.

My wife.... Heh..... That’s gonna get some getting used to......

Vinyl rested her head on the door frame, watching Octavia’s sides rising and falling with her breathing. Vinyl smiled, and managed to tear her eyes away from the beautiful mare in the bed. She walked through the several rooms of the suite, closing windows as she went. The chilled wind has picked up slightly, and the last thing she wanted was for Octavia to wake up cold.

The last window to close was the glass door leading to the balcony. Vinyl closed it behind her as she walked outside. She had a wonderful view of Canterlot, and countless miles of countryside beyond. The Everfree Forest stretched off to her left, rolling hills and plains directly ahead, with the sea far to her right, perfectly flat and endless. Vinyl’s vivid blue mane fluttered in the breeze as she surveyed the sleeping city below her. It was all dark, and not a pony was to be found. She smiled. The DJ loved nights like this. She adored her time with Octavia, and treasured each moment, but she still liked her alone time as well. Even though loud music was her forte, she liked the sound of silence sometimes. Her eyes tracked across the empty battlements of the castle below her. All was dark and quiet. Then, she spotted a window that was lit, about one story down and across from hers.

It was beside a door that opened balcony, much like hers. She could see the door was open, and Vinyl thought she could almost see a figure standing in the doorway, but it was too dark to be sure. The light from the window was too faint to illuminate much beyond the window. Then her suspicions were confirmed as the shape moved, walking further onto the balcony and into the moonlight. Vinyl realized it was Princess Luna.

Vinyl could see Luna’s head turn toward her, and knew the Princess was looking at her. Abruptly, Luna’s wings opened and the alicorn took flight, soaring towards her. For a few seconds, Vinyl got to admire the Princess as she flew, so graceful and elegant. Then Princess Luna landed beside her on the balcony, and Vinyl was awed by her regal bearing and posture. Vinyl bowed deeply, but was ushered up by the Princess.

“Please, Vinyl, you know you don’t have to bow when we are in private.”

“I know, Your Majesty, It’s ju-”

“Luna, please. Just Luna. You know I just want to be treated like a regular pony every now and then.”

“Yeah, I just forget sometimes.”

Vinyl stood from her bow and sheepishly smiled up at the Princess, and found that Luna was smiling back at her.

Alright, be casual. Treat her like any other pony.

“So, Luna, how is your night going?”

Luna shuffled her wings in what seemed to Vinyl as a mildly annoyed manner, then walked over to the rail around the balcony and sat. She looked out towards the ocean, tranquil and infinite.

“The same as any other night, I suppose. I raise the moon, sit around for some hours, then lower it. Sometimes I do some paperwork. Sometimes I read. It gets a little lonely at times.”

“Why don’t you have more to do? I mean, a whole kingdom to help run, surely you have something to do?”

“You forget, my sister had a thousand years to get accustomed to ruling on her own, and even I must admit, she has the process very streamlined and efficient. Even she is not as busy as one would expect.”

“Yeah, I guess that makes sense.”

Vinyl walked over to sit beside the Princess and contemplate the waters. For a moment the two sat quietly, simply enjoying the peace and calm. Luna was the first to break the silence.

“I guess.... Even though I do some work.... I feel a little.......... Useless.”

Vinyl took a moment to reply. Here was the Princess, confiding in her. It would not do to speak hastily.

“You’re not useless. You organized the best wedding ever, not to mention you bring the beautiful night.”

“Yes, but it’s nothing compared to what Tia does.”

“Maybe... You should take it as a blessing. Spend the extra time doing what you desire. Surely you can find something that interests you. And not all ponies sleep at night. I’ll bet you can find a lot of friends around.”

“Hmm. I suppose I could take it as that. Some friends would be nice.”

“Well, you got me and Octy!”

Luna smiled at Vinyl.

“Yes, I suppose I do. Off to a good start, I would think.”

“Of course! Anytime you’re bored or lonely or whatever, come to our place! If Octy isn’t up, I almost definately am.”

“I will keep that in mind. It is always lovely to see you you two.”

Another bout of silence engulfed the balcony. This time, it was Vinyl who spoke first.

“Luna, can I ask you something?”

“You just did.”

Vinyl stared at the Princess for a moment, dumbstruck. Then Luna cracked a little smile as Vinyl caught on.

“Yes, Vinyl, you may.”

“Oh, you’re good. Anyways, what I wanted to ask you was, why were you so enthusiastic about me and Octy’s wedding? I mean, I’m eternally grateful, but what about us caught your eye? We’re just two simple mares.”

“You mean, other than the fact you did something most ponies thought were impossible to save her? Well, to be completely honest, I was fascinated by how much you two are in love. It’s..... Quite poetic.”

As Vinyl mulled over these words, Luna looked at her, the faintest hint of a smile on her face.

“And to be more honest, I was a little bit jealous.”

“You, jealous? Of what?”

“Of your love. It’s not exactly something I nor my sister get to experience.”

“Love?”

“Yes. We love our kingdom, and all our subjects, but in a much broader sense. The love you share is more intimate, more.... Tangible.”

“Well, what’s to stop you from finding love?”

Luna frowned, and gazed at the sea with such intensity Vinyl thought it would simply evaporate.

“We’re immortal, Vinyl. We can find love, and surely enough, we have both developed light infatuations over the years, but it is never to be. It would be terrible to let ourselves fall in love, and watch our beaus age and grow old, and eventually die. It is a heartbreak both Tia and I have had to cope with, and after so many years, we have learned to deaden our hearts to those around us. It is a lonely and cold existence, but we do what we must.”

Vinyl looked up to the Princess and was shocked to see tears flowing from her eyes. Luna saw her notice and made to wipe the treacherous tears away, but others followed. Vinyl had not realized how deeply Luna was hurting, how lonely she was. Soon, Luna gave up trying to hide her tears and let them flow freely. So great was her sorrow that the Princess laid down on the balcony floor to cry into her hooves. The hornless unicorn put her hoof on Luna's shoulder.

"Don't cry, Luna. You'll find somepony."

Luna sniffed and wiped away more tears.

"That’s all I want, more than anything. But at the same time, I don't want to. If I do, I will love them, and I will have to watch them age and die. I have had to see it a thousand times, with many, many friends, and even a few lovers. It hurts, Vinyl. A pain that time can scarcely heal. I think out of all the ponies in the world, you will understand."

"I guess I do, but not completely. She is still with me."

"And for that, you are most fortunate."

"Yes..."

Quiet reigned on the balcony once more, but it was not total. Luna still sobbed quietly, with Vinyl's hoof still on her shoulder. After roughly half an hour, the tears had run their course, and the Princess stood again.

"Vinyl, I would like to thank you very much for talking to me tonight, and being so understanding. I did not realize how much I needed this."

"It's my honor, Luna. Every pony needs a good friend to vent to once in awhile."

"Yes.."

"You are always welcome at our house if you ever need to talk again."

"I will be sure to visit as often as I can. For the meantime, I have a few things yet to do before moonset."

"Alright. If you're free, you should come over here tomorrow evening after you raise the moon, and me, you, and Octy will have dinner."

“I would like that, but are you sure Octavia will not mind?”

“I’ll convince her.”

"I will see you tomorrow, then."

“See ya!”

And with that, the Princess spread her wings and flapped them twice, lifting her just high enough to glide over the railing and back down to her own balcony. Upon landing, she turned back and waved to Vinyl, who waved back. Then the Princess went back inside, as did Vinyl.

Vinyl went back to the bedroom where Octavia was sleeping, still curled up in the middle of her nest of blankets. This time, Vinyl did not stop in the doorway, but walked to the bed and carefully crawled in to cuddle around Octavia. The grey mare mumbled a little in her sleep, but did not awake as Vinyl pulled some blankets around and over herself. As she wrapped her leg around Octavia's middle, exhaustion hit her, and she felt her eyes closing, drifting off to deep sleep. Before she lost consciousness, she mumbled a few inaudible words.

"I love you, Octy..."


.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.


Octavia rocked in her rocking chair. The fall air was just beginning to show a hint of winter chill, but it was nowhere enough to send her inside. The leaves were still green, the flowers were still blooming and the birds were still chirping, so she had no reason to go in from the front porch that was now affixed to the front of the blue house on the edge of Ponyville. The blue siding had began to fade just the slightest amount, and Vinyl had been griping about getting somepony to repaint it.

Octavia smiled to herself as she passed the time by rummaging through this memory and many others, occasionally chuckling to herself as she found a particularly humorous one, which was often with Vinyl around. The blue maned wonder had long since retired from DJing and moved on to own a large record company, but she still had that trademark spunk.

Soon, Vinyl came around the corner down the block, walking towards the house. One of the perks of owning the company was getting to choose her own hours, and Vinyl hade it a point of fact to never stay late, choosing to spend her afternoons and evenings with her love. Octavia waved when she noticed her wife approaching.

Octavia rose from her seat to greet Vinyl when she reached the porch. The two shared a quick kiss, then headed inside. No doubt Vinyl was hungry. They went to the kitchen, where Vinyl sat as Octavia prepared a quick salad.

"Have a good day at the office, love?"

"Not too bad. I'm just waiting on a few demos from a few groups to see if they're contract worthy. Other than that, I have peons to do all the boring stuff."

"What about Equalizer? How is her first day going?"

"Excellent. She already knows more than half the studio staff. She bonded pretty quickly with Silver Strings. When I left he was showing her how to operate the recording booth."

"Really? Silver Strings, the big grey pegasus? He seemed like such a dry fellow."

"Nah, you just gotta talk to him about what interests him. He has no use for anything else."

"I see. Well when will she be home?"

"I dunno. Call her. She's supposed to get off in a few minutes or so, but she was having such fun I'd bet she'll stay late."

"Oh, that's fine. I don't want to meddle. Celestia knows I hated it when my mother did."

"Yeah same here. However, I always gave my mother a lot more trouble than just staying out late at cello practice."

"Yes, Vinyl, I know. You were such a wild filly! It's a wonder they didn't lock you up."

"It wasn't for lack of trying, I tell you that."

Octavia set the bowl of salad in front of Vinyl and kissed her forehead.

“Well I’m rather glad they failed. Now, I’m going to play my cello for a bit. Enjoy your salad.”

“Hey, while you’re at it, play that one piece you were playing last night. I like that one.”

“I never thought I’d see the day when you would admit to liking classical music.”

Vinyl shot her a look, but Octavia had already left the room. Vinyl busied herself with eating the salad, and soon the sounds of cello music wafted through the house. It was an energetic piece, flowing through Vinyl’s ears like a coursing stream, rapid and undulating. Vinyl closed her eyes and gently swayed to the tempo, a smile tugging at her lips. Then, she opened her eyes as she had an epiphany.

Jumping up from her seat, Vinyl rushed to the music room. Octavia gave her a questioning look as she entered, but Vinyl waved at her to keep playing. She did, but Vinyl received another confused look. That look became understanding and excited when Vinyl got behind her old DJ booth and started to power up the electronics.

The first switches were for Octavia’s cello, which had two wireless pickups in the body, routed to a few of the speakers around the DJ booth. The treble notes sang with undisputed clarity, and the bass notes thrummed with authority.

Vinyl sat back on her stool and simply enjoyed the amplified cello for a moment. Then, when she judged it was the right moment, her hoof reached out and stabbed a button. Immediately, a simple beat began to accompany the cello. The bass hits were muted, so not to overpower the cello, and the hi-hat was at an uptempo pace, with a high snare counting out the measures.

Octavia closed her eyes and her smile gave way to a blank face, not out of irritation, but because she was focusing so much on the music there was no room for extra thought for needless things like expressions. She swayed with her cello, bow sawing at the strings as her hoof glided up and down the neck, pinching the strings just right, with the grace and care of a professional.

Vinyl pressed more buttons and turned more knobs, adding a flowing melody behind the cellos. The room swelled and throbbed with the music. Vinyl reached up to a hook on the wall behind her. Hanging there were her old purple shades,a layer of dust on them. She had not worn them in years, but now she wanted nothing less. She blew the dust off and put them on. As they settled on her face, she felt a feeling she had not felt in years. A mischievous smile stretched across her face, and she swung her head to the beat. She knew the glasses would stay on, so she did not worry.

More button were pressed, switches flipped and knobs turned. Driving electronic sounds mixed into the cello and the beat. Years ago, Octavia would have protested against such an intrusion, but instead she rocked her body to the beat, playing the cello even more intently so not to be lost in the symphony. The song they were making was chaotic, and of seemingly opposite tastes, but beautiful at the same time. The driving club music was pounding and heavy, and the lines of the cello danced around the harsh electronic pulses and howls, tying it all together to create one beautiful song.

Octavia’s mane swirled around her as she danced, playing, never missing a note. Vinyl cast one foreleg into the air, grinning wildly. Their song resonated through the room, the house, even echoing out into the street. Ponies walking past gave looks toward the house, but those who knew the ponies that live there smiled, a few even stopping to listen. One pony in particular was walking towards the house.

Equalizer walked in the front door, and immediately headed to the music room. She looked in the door, her dark blue mane spilling over her purple eyes. An iron grey hoof reached up to tuck it behind the horn spiraling out of her forehead. She smiled when she saw the cause of all the commotion. Neither of the mares in the rom were facing her, so she was able to watch and enjoy the music for nearly ten more minutes. At that point, Octavia had worn herself out and had to stop. Vinyl cut down the beats, synths and melodies to a fade out. Once the room was quiet, it seemed to shrink, as if the music had been pushing the walls back.

“Guys, why don’t you record another album? That was awesome!”

Vinyl and Octavia both jumped and turned to the doorway. They smiled when they realized it was just their daughter standing there. Vinyl giggled as they hung her glasses back on their spot on the wall.

“Cause, we don’t wanna put all these other hard working artists out of work.”

"Aw, come on, mom! Just one! Last time you did, it went to the top of the charts in days and stayed there for almost a year!"

This time it was Octavia who answered, smiling as she set her cello back into its old and scarred case. It was the same one it had been in when the building had collapsed on her.

"How do you know we didn't just record a new song? Surely out of all that stuff on that mess over there, you wouldn't think there's a record button?"

"I... I don't know. Is there?"

Vinyl ruffled Equalizer’s hair as she walked past, headed back to the kitchen.

"Of course there is. I just recorded that whole thing. I think that makes six or seven new songs over the past few months. Octy, we definitely need to do this more often. I think that was our best yet. Now come on, I feel like cooking."

"Celestia preserve us."

"I heard that, Equalizer!"

Vinyl heard both of the mares behind her giggle as they made their way to the kitchen. She went to the cabinets and started taking a tally of what she had to work with.

“Let’s see..... Rice, various spices... Hey Octy, we got any of that broccoli left?”

“Yes, dear.”

Moving to the fridge, Vinyl glared intently at the various foods there, as if forcing them to cook. After a moment, she gave up and looked around the rest of the fridge.

“Oh! Lookie here! Bourbon! I can make that bourbon fried salad with rice that Luna gave me the recipe for!”

“Oh, that was delicious when she made it! And speaking of Luna, Equalizer, will you invite Luna to dinner please?”

“Sure, Mom.”

Vinyl set about preparing her salad in a large skillet while Equalizer scribbled a quick letter on a piece of nearby paper. Octavia looked over her shoulder and made a face of mock disgust.

“Dear me, Equalizer. Your writing is as bad as Vinyl’s.”

This earned her a glare from Vinyl, who was adding some brown sugar and bourbon to the ingredients browning in the skillet. Octavia responded with an innocent smile, batting her eyelashes in a way she knew Vinyl was weak for. Indeed, Vinyl just smiled and turned back to preparing the rice.

Once the letter was written, it disappeared in a dark blue haze, and the cloud flew out the nearby window and vanished into the sunset. Octavia sat down at the table and read a magazine while Equalizer watched Vinyl crush some pepper flakes and garlic to flavor the mixture. After a few minutes, a midnight purple vapor floated into the kitchen and solidified into a letter in front of Equalizer. She read the few lines on it quickly and tossed it aside.

“She said she’ll be here in about ten minutes.”

“Oh good. I can’t wait to see what she thinks of my extraordinary cooking skills!”

“Extraordinary in how terrifying it is to see?”

“It’s not that bad!”

Vinyl’s last sentence was punctuated by a burst of flame from the skillet, where an excess of bourbon had caught on fire. Vinyl grabbed the skillet and moved it off to a burner that wasn’t lit, and let it burn itself out.

“I meant to do that. Adds flavor.”

Octavia laughed and turned back to her magazine, reading an article about a new music hall being built in Canterlot.

“I’m sure. Did you also mean to leave the rice cooking too long?”

“It’s not cooking too long!”

Vinyl quickly took the rice off the stove and set it off to the side to cool.

“See? Perfect!”

Equalizer walked around the counter and examined the food.

“Well, look at that. It looks like you actually made something edible, mom!”

“I always make good stuff!”

“Except for the time you tried to make waffles.”

“They were good!”

Octavia looked up at Vinyl from across the kitchen.

“You caught one on fire, Vinyl. Waffle batter. ON FIRE. I still don’t know how you did that.”

“It must just be my flaming good looks.”

“Oh, you’re a flamer all right.”

”Hush, Octy!”

All three of the ponies laughed, then Vinyl and Equalizer set about setting the table with four spots. Octavia set her magazine down and helped them, glancing at the clock.

“Just about time.”

Right on cue, a soft thump was heard on the other side of the front door, followed by knocks.

“Come in!”

The front door opened and Luna walked in. She was as tall and regal as always, even without her crown and other royal accoutrements. She smiled as Equalizer rushed to give her a hug.

“Aunt Luna!”

“Equalizer! How are you my dear?”

“I’m great! My first day of work was today!”

“That’s right, I forgot! How was it?”

“Totally awesome! I got to play around with all kinds of really expensive equipment!”

"That sounds fantastic. I am glad to hear you're enjoying it."

Vinyl looked up from where she was setting the last of the cutlery from the table.

"Yeah, I was amazed she was home in time for dinner. I was half expecting her to ask to stay the night."

Luna eyed the food on the table.

"Speaking of dinner, that looks like a familiar recipe."

"Yep! After you made it for us last week, I decided to try and one-up you."

"Well, let us see! I am famished."

"Well it's ready. Everybody, dig in!"


:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:


After all the dishes and plates were all washed and put away, Luna and Vinyl went outside to sit on the porch to bid adieu another day. Vinyl sipped on a glass of wine, while Luna had opted for a mug of apple cider. They sat, not speaking, for a while, watching in the night sky. Vinyl was gazing at the waxing gibbous moon, while Luna seemed to be staring at nothing in particular.

“Vinyl?”

“Yeah.”

“You remember what you said to me the day of your wedding, that evening on the balcony?”

“Vaguely, yes.”

“What if I told you I was thinking about following your advice?”

“I would be extremely happy, and ask you who.”

“Oh, I know you would. But I think I shall keep it a secret for now. I haven’t even revealed it to said pony yet.”

“Well, when you do, I wanna hear everything! You know how nosy I am.”

“Well, I’ll be sure to keep you updated.”

The rest of the evening passed in a similar and pleasant manner. The mares chatted about random trivial matters until it was close to midnight. The nearly full moon hovered almost directly above, and the stars glittered in the clear sky. Vinyl sat down her empty glass next to an almost empty bottle.

“Well, Luna, I hate to, but I need to be heading to bed. Work beckons in the morning.”

“Of course. Thanks for the dinner, it was incredible.”

“Anytime! Will you be able to come down Friday?”

“I believe so.”

“Cool. See ya then!”

“Good-bye.”

Vinyl watched as Luna stood and stretched her wings, dark and beautiful. She took off into the night sky, only visible as a silhouette, a dark spot where the stars were blocked. Vinyl watched Luna until she was no longer visible, then headed inside to go to bed.


.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.


Princess Luna stood on a hilltop not far from the edge of the cliff, looking out over the ocean. It was a spot she had not visited in almost twenty years, and she felt bad for not coming sooner. It was a wonderful place, close enough to Canterlot she could come often, but far enough that it was completely isolated from the noise and bustle of civilization. She liked to come here to be alone, to think about life's great mysteries unbothered. She looked at the stone plinth, the only feature to the entire hilltop. It had been covered in lichen and moss in twenty years, a fact that bothered Luna. She used some magic to remove it, leaving the stone clean. She read the inscription on the face of the stone, one she had chosen herself, almost a hundred years ago when she had the monument built.

"Here lies Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Philharmonica. Ever in life and ever in death, none shall share the indefinable love they had. May their music play forever in the heavens."

A single tear fell from Luna's eye, but it was not one of sadness, but of joy, because she was remembering all that she had learned about love from these two mares.

From behind her, a violet unicorn walked out from the trees and came beside Luna. She noticed the tears on the Princess’s face, and gently wiped them away before nuzzling her neck affectionately. The pair stood, gently cuddling, until the sun set and Luna raised the moon.

The unicorn turned and walked away, heading back to the castle. Luna turned to follow, but hesitated at the headstone. She summoned a cloud of violet magic, and enchanted flowers began to grow around the stone, blooming in purple. She smiled, and turned to follow her love.

Comments ( 60 )

sad ending for a beautiful story. loved it man. loved it.

Wow man, just... wow. That was beautiful. So sad and yet so wonderful:raritydespair:

And that violet unicorn at the ending... I see what you did there.

That was both sad and beautiful. An excellent ending to an excellent story.

A very sincere thanks to all three of you :) Honestly, the last chapter was the one I was less sure about anyone actually liking.

538386 Thanks, I'm glad you loved it. :pinkiehappy:

538631 I did my best. Also, do you see, or do you think you see? :rainbowderp:

538733 Thanks, I'm happy you thought it was excellent. :rainbowkiss:

539479 although, i'm wondering. how th' frick did they have a kid?

539512 :moustache: maybe one day, when you're older, I'll tell you.

539560 actually, i'm a legally insane psyco with an affinity for death. nothing really affects me anymore. heck, i find Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Chernobyl funny.

539609 no matter my age, anything you can cook up about their kid's conception won't affect me.

539619 I actually do plan on writing a story about it, so you can find out then. :rainbowwild:

539479

I think you think that I know what you did. So yeah, I know I saw (/read) something, and therefore I choose to believe that I know what you did.

It doesn't really make sense, does it?:derpytongue2:

540029 Unless you thought you saw what you thought you saw, and you might have seen something, but maybe you didn't. :rainbowwild:

Unless you saw what you thought, then you thought what you saw before you saw what you thought.

:pinkiehappy:

539671 you are an evil little troll, you know that?

541139 Thank you, that praise means almost as much to me as your liking the story. :trollestia:

By the way, is there a specific reason the prologue is just before the end as opposed to at the beginning? dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_TwilightWut.png

609838 That's the order i wrote them, and I have no idea how to change the order they show up here. :)

621834
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/shrug_Twilight_Sparkle.png
Nothing for it then; you'll have to reupload the whole thing in the correct order. :twilightsmile:

623277 :twilightblush: too lazy. I'm hoping most people will see "Prologue" and understand. :3

623500

Yeah, I should probably get in the habit of reading chapter titles for just these instances.
(Just in case it didn't breach the internet barrier, I was totally being sarcastic):twilightblush:

652594 I'm glad you enjoyed it. :yay:

I saw daughter and thought :twilightoops: Then I remembered a ceartain alicorn of the night... :rainbowkiss:

that was a truly wonderful love story best i ever read :pinkiehappy: :twilightsmile: :rainbowkiss: :yay:

780260 I truly am glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:
780393 Best you ever read? :twilightblush: I'm flattered, but there are far better stories than mine floating around!

799335 Well your welcome!

Absolutely wonderful, with a sad but perfectly fitting end. :fluttershysad:

864102 Thanks, I'm a fan of A7X and a huge fan of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, and I really wanted some kind of reference. It just kinda happened before I knew what was going on. :twilightsmile:

909264 Honestly, I threw that leather thing in without even thinking about it. Many, many philosophical points may be made here, but I kinda like your explanation. :moustache: Also, I'm glad you liked the end, I'm very proud of it. :pinkiehappy:

Aww man, I hate it when a fanfic ends like that :applecry:

But still, the writing was great, and the whole story just reeked of D'AWWWWW

You get a :ajsmug:

1134466 Why thank ya, and thanks for the watch!

1555418 Haha, well this was my first story after all. I guess it is about time for a refreshing.

1566793 Hahahaha I'm glad you enjoyed it.

1567582 I dunno, I'm quite the fan of TwiLuna, like my new story. :D

1567585 .... TwiLuna is cute... :applejackunsure: Though I'd rather have Twixie or CelestiaxLuna... (However Dislestia overpowers it :raritywink:)

1567596 Eh, I never cared for Trixie much. :P and Lunestia just odd to me. :rainbowwild:

1567605 Ditto on the Trixie factor, but add Twilight in the mix.... BAM! They be cute :raritystarry:

Wait, how come I've read this and haven't faved it yet? Mistake fixed. :twilightsmile:

2349759 Thank you very very much! I am honored. :raritystarry:

2349973
You're very welcome. :twilightsmile:

2350049 i've been trying to decide if my talents are enough to risk trying a sequel, so stay tuned for further wailing on a keyboard from me!

2350597
I would be delighted to read a sequel! :raritystarry:

The d'awwws they have been doubled!

Man i knew that ending was coming yet the feels still hit me like a ton of bricks. Good job on this story now imma go cry myself to sleep... maybe i should stop reading so many feel heavy stories this is getting rediculous... nahh

4266353 I'm glad you liked it! I didn't mean for the story to end on such a feels note, but... it kinda did. sorry not sorry

4266728 though how did they get their daughter anyway? Thats one thing i want to know.

Whenever i read things like this ending i get really sad, but i don't...

Login or register to comment