• Published 11th Feb 2012
  • 3,267 Views, 94 Comments

Grazioso - MadMan



Vinyl and Octavia show what true love is.

  • ...
2
 94
 3,267

Three Words

Vinyl Scratch opened her eyes and immediately regretted it. Sometime during the night, the purple blanket she had hung over the window to block the light had fallen, letting the sun shine into her room in all it's blinding glory. After a few moments of gathering courage, the white unicorn she let her eyes part, just enough to squint out the window. Calculating the angle of the sun, she grumbled to herself quietly. It was too early for a DJ of her stature to be awake. It wasn't even noon yet.

Her musings were cut short as an iron grey hoof suddenly reached around her waist as a pair of soft lips brushed against her cheek. Abruptly Vinyl changed her mind about being awake early. Usually by the time she crawled out of bed, her sweetheart had gotten out of bed and was either off to practice or cooking lunch, depending on the day. Vinyl layed in the embrace, wanting the moment to last forever. But being the active and energetic pony she was, she got bored eventually. She turned her head and looked at the beautiful face only inches from her own. Octavia's eyes were closed, but Vinyl sensed she was at least partially conscious. She hated to ruin the moment, but it was almost noon and the DJ was hungry.

"Good morning, Octy."

The reply from the sleeping mare was mumbled and illegible.

"Muffmmb."

Vinyl couldn't help but smile. Usually it was Octavia waking her up and almost never the other way around. Vinyl fully intended on making the most of the situation. It wasn't often enough she got to spoil her lover. She very carefully extracted herself from the embrace and blankets. Vinyl had slept next to the wall, so she had to slowly climb over her sleeping love and the myriad pillows she liked to sleep with. After accomplishing this, she made her way to the kitchen to make breakfast. She decided to make Octavia's favorite breakfast, pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.

Even though it had been a while since Vinyl had really cooked anything more intricate than a warmed up pastry, it wasn't long before she had a delicious looking pile of pancakes. She stacked them on two plates and placed them on the table. She then added the strawberries and whipped cream, being extra careful as to make the arrangement look as appetizing as possible. Then she filled two cups of the finest Apple Family apple juice and took them to the table as well as the silverware. On a sudden whim of inspiration, she went to a small flower box in the window and picked three of the lovely roses Octavia liked to grow there. Vinyl stuck these in a small vase with water and put that in the middle of the table. She then stepped back to admire the setting. Such a complete meal was rare for her, much less with a vase of roses. Maybe living with Octavia was beginning to rub off on her. Vinyl thought this was a good thing. She looked at the table and scrunched her nose. Only was thing was missing: a certain grey sleepyhead.

When Vinyl walked into the room, the sleeping form was still exactly where it was when she got up. She looked at Octavia's gorgeous form and tried to decide on an appropriate way to wake her. After a few moments of indecision, her eyes fell on a grey pillow that had fallen of the bed onto the floor. It was medium sized, and fairly firm. It was one Octavia had brought with her when she moved in. It was too firm for Vinyl's taste, who liked her pillows to be nice and mushy. They did have one very good purpose though. Vinyl wrapped her magic around the pillow, lifting it to a point several feet above Octavia's head. As she did, she admired the grey tint of her usually white magic, a sign of her deep infatuation with the grey mare. Vinyl's smile widened, and without further hesitation, she dropped the pillow. It landed on target with a hearty POMF.

"Muffmmb affmmb."

Vinyl giggled at the pillow-impeded speech.

"Good afternoon! I made lunch. Get up."

Octavia reached up and removed the pillow blocking her words.

"Be there in just a second, dear."

"You better, or I won't be as courteous next time."

"You, courteous? That'll be the day."

Vinyl just smiled and turned to go back to the kitchen, but as she was walking to the door, a familiar grey pillow came rocketing across the room to smack her in the back of the head with impeccable aim. Vinyl reversed and ran to the bed, jumping right on top of the culprit.

"Ok then! No more Miss Nice Mare!"

With that, Vinyl started tickling Octavia under her arms, the one place she had found to be vulnerable. Octavia shrieked and tried to stop the torture by shoving her hoof into Vinyl's very ticklish side. After a few minutes of furious wrestling, the two ponies both gave up on making the other surrender. Vinyl had remained on top, so she got off the bed first and turned to walk towards the still waiting food.

"Breakfast is gonna be cold if you don't hurry, Octy."

Octavia climbed out of bed and stretched, then started walking towards the kitchen after the white unicorn.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. What did you ma- Oohh pancakes! With strawberries and whipped cream! My favorite!"

Octavia clapped her front hooves together, then rushed to kiss Vinyl on the cheek before taking a seat at the table. She beamed at the food in front of her, waiting on Vinyl to take her seat before starting on the stack of pancakes with a vengeance. Halfway through, she stopped and grinned widely at Vinyl, who was matching her bite for bite, and was halfway through as well.

"These are the best pancakes you have ever made! However did you make these without waking me?"

Vinyl smiled, waiting to swallow her food before replying, another good habit acquired from her much more cultured roommate.

"Very carefully. Besides, you were out like a rock. Wasn't that hard."

"The thought of you doing anything carefully is hard to grasp."

"I can be careful! I just choose not to most of the time 'cause it's boring."

Octavia rolled her eyes and went back to her breakfast. After both of the ponies had finished, Vinyl gathered the plates and silverware and put them in the sink for washing.

"So what's on the agenda today, Octy?"

Octavia paused and thought for a moment.

"I'm supposed to help Frederic with some of the arrangements for our ensemble in a little bit. We have a big show in a month and we all are working overtime making sure it's perfect."

This struck Vinyl as rather odd, seeing as Frederic was an incredible composer. Vinyl had gotten over her seething dislike of him after her and Octavia had gotten together and had talked to him a few times at some of Octavia's concerts. She had even came to admire him a little once she learned he is responsible for a lot of the music the ensemble played. But she mentally shrugged.

I guess even pros need help sometimes. Can't get better help than my Octy!

"Alrighty then, have fun!"

Octavia smiled at Vinyl.

"What do you have planned today?"

"I've got a gig to do at that bar down near the square. You know, the one with the fountain out front that lights up?"

"You mean The Spiked Mane?"

Octavia made a face. She wasn't the biggest fan of the new bar in town. It catered to the younger crowd, the kinds to wear more dye than was found in a textile factory, along with crazy accessories like collars with studs and leather. They loved to blast loud dance music at all hours of the night, which made it the perfect habitat for Vinyl Scratch. Still, Octavia was happy for her partner, seeing as the bar was very popular, with hundreds of ponies going there every night despite the cold weather when most stayed in. Getting a show there was quite the accomplishment.

"Yeah, that's it! Apparently the dude in charge heard me at some other small gig and liked me! So a few days ago he asked me if I'd like to do a night at his place. If the crowd likes me, he says it'll be a regular thing!"

"Well congratulations, Vinyl! You know i'm not into that genre of music, but I know that is a very popular place. I hope it goes well! The extra money from a regular schedule will help us a lot."

Vinyl smiled. Vinyl's old roommate Bon Bon had moved out soon after Vinyl started dating Octavia, and she had asked if Octavia wanted to move in. She gladly accepted, and the two had been living in harmony. After Octavia had lived with Vinyl for long enough to know it would work, she had cancelled her rent at her apartment, fully moving into the small blue-sided house. It had helped ease both Vinyl's and Octavia's bills, but through the winter there were less demand for musical performances, so both Octavia and Vinyl had been hard stretched. But they had stuck together and persevered. Now it was late January, so business was at it's lowest. Now with this newest development it looked as if their financial pressure was about to ease. Octavia glanced at the clock and realized it was almost two.

"Well Vina dear, I must get ready. Thank you for a fantastic breakfast."

She kissed the blushing DJ and went to the bathroom. By the time she exited, looking groomed and clean, Vinyl had finished with the dishes. Octavia struck a pose when Vinyl looked at her.

"How do I look?"

Vinyl looked at her and thought she had never seen a more beautiful sight.

"Totally ravishing."

Octavia blushed and embraced Vinyl and nuzzled her neck for a moment before heading to the door.

"Goodbye, Vinyl dear! Good luck with your show tonight."

"Thanks! Good luck with your stuff too! Bye!"

With that, Octavia left. Vinyl sat down on the couch and smiled. It had been nine months since Octavia had moved in, and to Vinyl it had been the best time of her life. Waking up to those gorgeous purple eyes every day, spending every night cuddled in front of the television, or out on the town, seeing what there is to see and doing what there is to do.

The next few weeks were as good as weeks had ever been. Vinyl had impressed the crowd and the operators of The Spiked Mane, and had since been DJing there almost every night. She had been ecstatic when she had found out, and had been in a good mood ever since. The only thing that was bothering her was that Octavia had been spending a lot of time out, often saying she was helping Frederic with arrangements. Often she wouldn't get home until after Vinyl had left to go DJ. She was always vague when Vinyl questioned her about it, simply saying they were working on arrangements for the upcoming concert and were working late to make sure it was perfect. She wouldn't even say exactly when or where it was. Vinyl found herself sitting on the couch one evening before work, thinking.

I hate to be nosy. Besides, I trust her more than anypony. I just wish we could have dinner. We haven't had a nice dinner since I started at The Spiked Mane.

She shook her head, shaking her lightning blue mane around and tried to clear her head. She looked up at the calender hanging nearby, and with a shock realized it was only two days until Valentine's Day. She had forgotten how close it was, and she still hadn't made plans.

At least with a steady job now I can afford to get Octy something nice. Jewelry? Or maybe a fancy bow tie? I have to go shopping. Ugh.

An hour later found Vinyl walking around the shopping district, looking in windows and occasionally going in stores. It seemed that every store had some kind of special going, and it made deciding which store to go to very difficult. Vinyl had spent more time thinking about a gift, and she had decided on a nice necklace, preferably musical in nature. She spotted a jewelry store that looked hopeful, and noticed there was a flower store next to it.

A bouquet would be perfect! She loves flowers. Maybe some in a pot so she can plant them in the flower garden.

Vinyl trepidatiously approached the jewelry store. it wasn't exactly somewhere the DJ felt very comfortable. Too many expensive breakable things. She entered the store and looked around. It was extremely clean, with glass counters with glittering accessories making up a lot of the space, many with display cases full of less expensive items on top. Vinyl walked around the store, eyeing many of the pieces. There were several she really liked, until she saw the price tag on a few of them. She felt nauseous after seeing the extremely high price on a few of the necklaces. The last counter she looked through was the one the went next to the cash register. By now she had noticed there didn't seem to be anypony watching the store, then she noticed cameras in every corner of the store. She figured that the pony in charge was behind the curtain in the doorway behind the register. Still, shouldn't they be out here trying to persuade her to spend more bits?

She decided it didn't really matter until she wanted to buy something, as she wasn't planning on stealing anything. She started examining the exquisite necklaces in the counter by the register, and one caught her eye. It was a simple silver chain that had what looked to be a small silver cello hanging from it.

That's perfect! It's not too expensive either.... Better get it before somepony else does.

The pony in charge must have noticed Vinyl eyeing the necklace intently, because at that moment she heard the curtain swoosh aside and a shadow fall over her as she bent looking at the necklace.

"Hey good timing. I wanna buy this necklace. The silver one wi-"

At that moment she looked up and almost fell over in shock as she saw the pony watching he store. Lyra. Her tyrannical ex-fillyfriend whom she hadn't seen in months, and last time they talked it didn't end well. Vinyl hadn't missed her at all. To Vinyl it seemed as if she had an odd glint in her eyes, something between rage and extreme sadness.

"Yes, Vinyl, the one with the cello. I knew you would want that one. I'll just put it in a gift box for you. Is that all?"

Lyra's voice seemed to convey the same conflicting pain revealed in her eyes. She was speaking too carefully, too stiffly, as if she was trying to hide any feelings she was having. It also seemed as if she was perilously close to having a breakdown, but whether it was one of rage and screaming or one of depression and crying, Vinyl didn't plan to find out.

"Yeah, just that one. Octavia will love it."

Vinyl intentionally said Octavia's name, even though she knew it would push Lyra closer to the edge in her emotions. She was hoping to get some reaction from Lyra, who had taken a very strong dislike to Vinyl's lover very quickly. But no avail, as Lyra simply retrieved the necklace and put it in a small gift box, the same bland expression with a barely contained explosion in her eyes. Vinyl watched her closely the whole time as she rang up the price, took the bits and gave the receipt and warranty. Vinyl knew her ex well enough to know whatever she was feeling was extreme. Usually Lyra could hide her true emotions very well, and only reveal the ones that would help her manipulate those around her. Vinyl wanted to get out of there before Lyra cracked any more, as the look in her eyes had worsened somewhat. She accepted her receipt and change, grabbed the box with the necklace and high-tailed it out of there. She didn't slow down until she was halfway down the block and realized she forgot to stop at the flower store.

Great.

Vinyl walked back the direction she had came, glad that when she fled the jewelry store, she had taken the path in front of the flower store, meaning she didn't have to walk past the store with Lyra in it again. She made a mental note to avoid that store in the future.

Not that I'm afraid of Lyra. Nonsense. That store was just too expensive. Yeah, that's it. Keep telling yourself that.

Vinyl reached the flower store and paused outside. She didn't mind the scent of flowers, but a whole building filled with nothing but scenty flowery scents? Total headache. Vinyl was about to walk in when she spotted a very familiar grey coat and black mane. Vinyl smiled.

So Octavia decided to get me some flowers? Great minds think alike.

Vinyl decided she didn't want to ruin the surprise for Octavia, so she elected to wait outside until Octavia left to buy flowers. But that didn't mean she was going to leave. Vinyl walked back to the edge of the window where she could make a quick escape if need be and watched her love as she browsed flowers. However, after a minute, another familiar looking pony approached Octavia. This surprise was less nice.

Frederic? What in Equestria are you doing here?

The other pony greeted Octavia as Octavia greeted him. He then turned and pointed at a large bouquet Octavia had seemed interested in. The two conversed about it, along with a few others Vinyl had seen Octavia pause at while browsing the store. At length they returned to the first one they had admired and seemed to make a decision. Frederic said something to make Octavia blush as she grabbed to bouquet to purchase. Vinyl fumed a little from her vantage point by the window. Then she realized the two ponies were about to exit the store. She quickly ducked into the alley beside the store. She peeked around the corner a moment later just in time to see the pair walking away from her, side by side. The flowers were tucked into a bag on Octavia's back. Vinyl sat in the dirt in the alley and pondered what she had seen.

I'm supposed to be the only one to make Octy blush like that. What the hay is going on?

She shook her head and gathered her unruly thoughts.

You're just being dumb. Frederic is helping her shop, THAT'S IT. Calm down. You trust her absolutely, and she trusts you. Now go buy some flowers and go home before she does so you can hide them.

Vinyl went into the flower shop and was immediately hit with waves of aromas nature had never intended to be smelled all at the same time. The effect was overwhelming. She quickly bought a nice pot of blue flowers and exited before her nose was permanently injured. Content with the days purchases, and forcibly not thinking about Frederic, Vinyl made her way home and hid the presents. It wasn't very long before Octavia came home, no trace of flowers, or indeed anything else other than her cello.

"Honey, I'm home!"

Vinyl came out of the kitchen where she had been trying to find a snack and greeted Octavia.

"Heya. How was doin' stuff with people?"

Octavia rolled her eyes and smiled.

"The stuff was boring, and the people were too. I'm just glad to be home. I'm tired and hungry. What's there to eat?"

"Not a lot. I used a lot making lunch the other day. There's cereal."

Octavia made the face she reserved for when Vinyl had said something silly.

"Foals cereal. I can never understand why you adore that stuff so much."

Vinyl smiled.

"Sugar! I need tons of energy for the active lifestyle I lead."

"Sleeping until two and playing music all night? Very demanding."

Octavia laughed, but made herself a bowl of cereal anyway and joined Vinyl on the loveseat next to the television. Vinyl thought she could detect the faint smell of the flower store, but only just. She decided to not say anything at the moment.

"Vinyl, you working tonight?"

"Yeah. Gotta be there at nine."

"Oh, good. There's enough time for a movie and cuddle. I feel like we haven't done that in ages."

Vinyl smiled. There was nothing she liked more than a good cuddle to make all her worries melt away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinyl opened her eyes, and immediately closed them and groaned.

I really need to hang that blanket back up. Oh well, it's Valentine's Day!

She had been very careful the past two days, making sure Octavia never needed to go into the closet in the spare bedroom where the flowers and necklace were hidden. Which wasn't that hard, as there wasn't anything important in there.

Vinyl opened her eyes and looked out the window. She decided it couldn't have been later than ten.

Well today is a special day, so I guess I'll let it pass.

She rolled over to see Octavia's purple eyes looking back at her. She hadn't realized the other mare was awake.

"Well good mornin' to you."

"Good morning, Vinyl. Sleep good?"

"Yup. How 'bout you?"

"Not too bad. You snored though."

"Well next time I'll try to restrain my unconscious decisions."

Octavia kissed Vinyl and got out of the bed and stretched. Vinyl eyes her appreciatively.

I sure am lucky to be able to wake up to THAT.

Octavia turned her head as she was stretching and caught Vinyl's eyes on her. She blushed.

"Have I ever told you I hate it when you look at me like that while I stretch?"

"All the time, Octy."

"Yet you still insist on doing it."

"Oh yeah."

Octavia giggled and turned back to the unicorn, still in bed and wrapped in blankets.

"I have something to do this morning, Vina, but it won't take long. I'll be back in two hours. We'll go out for lunch. Okay?"

"Okay then. I'll probably be right here."

With that, Octavia left. as soon as Vinyl heard the front door close she hopped out of bed. She retrieved the necklace and flowers from their hiding spot. She had kept the flowers watered, but they were looking a bit sad from the lack of sunlight in the closet. Vinyl put them in the window and let them get some rays while she took a long, hot bath. Two hours later when Octavia returned, there was a pot of nice blue flowers on the table, with a sheepish white unicorn beside them.

"Hey, I know you like flowers, so I got you some."

"Oh, blue tulips! Vinyl, they're gorgeous!"

This earned Vinyl a kiss and a hug, but she wasn't done yet.

"I got you something else too, Octavia."

"Oh Vinyl, you used my whole name. You never do that. What is it?"

The grey pony was practically dancing in excitement. Vinyl reached with her magic to lift the box from the floor behind her and gave it to Octavia, who opened it and immediately let a squeal of excitement. Vinyl though she had very rarely seen her so excited.

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh VINYL! It's gorgeous! Oh, help me put it on! Is it on? Where's the mirror? It looks splendid! Thank you Vinyl, thank you! I love it!"

Octavia spent several minutes in front of the mirror admiring the silver cello now hanging just below her ever present bow tie. She then turned to Vinyl and enveloped her in the tightest and longest hug she had ever received.

"Vinyl, you are the best."

"I know, Octy, but even the best need to breathe."

Octavia laughed and loosened her grip, choosing instead to look into Vinyl's red eyes.

"And now, Vinyl, it's my turn. Get your jacket, I've made reservations."

Vinyl put on her jacket and followed into the frigid February air, asking questions about where they were going. But Octavia was stubbornly refusing to reveal, saying only for Vinyl to keep up. After a few minutes of quick trotting, Vinyl suddenly recognized the road they were on.

"Say, Octy, isn't this the road to the Apple Family farm?"

"Nothing escapes you, does it?"

"Nope. Nothing gets past these shades. They're the source of all my power and awesomeness."

"I'm sure they are. Now hurry up Vinyl, we're almost there and it's cold out here."

They kept a brisk pace for another few minutes until Octavia turned down a dirt driveway. Vinyl knew where they were. It was one of the Apple Family's various barns. This one was one of the bigger ones. She had been to several parties here, but one stood out in her memories more than others. A question suddenly pushed through her nostalgia.

"Why are we going to this barn, Octy?"

"You'll see. Come on!"

Octavia led the confused DJ straight to the doors of the barn and turned to face her.

"Happy Valentine's day, Vinyl."

Octavia opened the doors and Vinyl gasped. There was a large wood fireplace happily roaring in the far side of the barn, which had been extensively decorated. There were large cloth drapes hanging, hiding a portion of the large barn on either side. The middle of the barn had been cleaned of apple growing equipment and now there was only a single table, bearing two sets of dinnerware, a bouquet of roses, and a tall candle. There was a large piano sitting in the far corner. Vinyl walked toward the table, then looked back at Octavia.

"What in the world.. You did all this?"

"I didn't do all of this by myself, Vinyl."

Octavia smiled, and at the same time the piano began to play. Vinyl looked at it to see Frederic had emerged from somewhere behind the curtains to start playing a smooth and romantic melody. All of a sudden, it hit Vinyl. The long days away planning arrangements, the flower shop. It all made sense. Except it didn't.

"But Octy, as awesome as this is, surely it didn't take two and a half weeks of "planning arrangements" to do all this?"

"Oh Vinyl. I wasn't just planning and doing all this. I had to work some overtime with the Apple family to afford this, and also so I could use their barn. Please, take a seat."

Vinyl obliged, and Octavia took the seat across from her and called out to more ponies hiding behind the curtains.

"Food may now be served!"

Immediately three ponies wearing aprons bearing the crest of a local high-end resteraunt came out from behind the curtains, two bearing trays of wonderful smelling food, and the third with a bottle of wine. The plates were arranged and the wine glasses were filled in no time, and like ghosts the waiters faded back to behind the curtains. Octavia lifted her glass in a toast.

"To the most wonderful pony in the world."

"It's narcissistic to toast to yourself, Octy."

"Oh, you charmer, you."

The next three hours were a blur to Vinyl. Partially because of the timeless feeling given by the piano playing, the fire roaring, and the glittering purple gems across the table. But it also could have been the wine. Nevertheless, it was one of the best nights Vinyl could remember. She told Octavia so later that night, as they layed in bed, cuddled up close to ward off the winter chill.

"It would have been nothing without you, Vinyl dear."

This gave Vinyl a warm fuzzy feeling deep within her chest, one she had felt before, but only with Octavia.

"Vinyl, I want to tell you something."

Vinyl immediately tensed. Somehow she knew it would be something good. She also knew it would be very important. She knew tonight would be a night she would never forget. She pulled Octavia's body closer to hers, and somehow she knew exactly what Octavia was going to say, moments before she said it, and she knew how she was going to respond. And never will she forget that moment.



"I love you, Vinyl Scratch."

"I love you too, Octavia Philharmonica."