• Published 15th Feb 2012
  • 1,027 Views, 18 Comments

What Happens to Those Who Live - Mobius of the Moon



A one shot to three shot that came to me when I was really frustrated.

  • ...
 18
 1,027

Dead Promises and Insanity

My story changes here

I ran into the glaring red sunset, intent on catching the dot that seemed to grow smaller with every step of my hooves. There was also a nagging thought in my head, one that told me I was running from Ponyville, too. Running from the carnage that I had brought in a simple act of trying to help one pony. I felt that that was only a small part of the truth.

You see, I had been running around ever since my sister had died, going from place to place, and finding jobs when I could. I always tried to be the good guy, and I learned pretty quickly that that would get you nowhere.

About two years ago I had found two ponies out in the wasteland. One a lavender mare unicorn, the other a butter yellow pegasus. They had greeted me as those two names that were in every history book, along with four others: Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. For some crazy reason I believed them, and asked if I could journey with them. They agreed, and we had struck out.

Pretty soon I came to trust these two ponies, though I had doubts about their identities. They looked like the Elements of Kindness and Magic, but there were subtle differences that were actually not too hard to notice.

One day I confronted them about this, and they shared an uncomfortable look. They said that they used the names as a ruse, because they were running from a crime they didn't commit. They had been framed, and so posing as the two mares they looked like, they kept running from that town they despised.

I believed this, and that was my own undoing.

One day in the ruined town of Fillydelphia, the two mares I was traveling with murdered someone and stole his bits. Unbeknownst to me, they were disovered and pinned the blame on me with pretty convincing evidence. I found out when they led the "law enforcement" to me, which were actually the buddies of the murdered gang member. I was severely beat, and then thrown out into the street, told that if I didn't leave before sundown, I was a dead stallion.

I had struggled to my feet and left, but not before the ,ares came back. They consoled me, saying words(lies) that never reached my ears. Idiotically, I shot them then and there. I was spotted, and the alarm was raised again. I had fled, and never gone back.

Now here I was, heading in that direction. Well, hell to pay for hell given. I thought grimly. The nagging thought became an insistent voice that told me that dying where I had committed murder in payment for causing death was a good thing. That being killed for somepony else's crime was a good deal. I shook the thought away, but sensed it was still there. I kept running, now telling myself that I was doing this in the name of justice.


I caught up with her that night, seeing the light of a dying fire to the left, not ten meters away.

I came, panting and gasping, to a stop behind a rock. I waited, listening for any telltale signs that she had heard me. Nothing.

I crept up to the form on the ground, lying as if nothing had happened that day, as if they weren't sleeping in the middle of nothingness.

I poked her in the side. "It's dangerous to lower your guard like that. Especially in the open."

She gasped, pulling the gun she had used earlier out and aiming it straight at me. Again, I was saved by uncanny ducking, and the shot rang out above my head.

"Hold it!" I shouted. "I'm on your side! I'm the one you saved back in Ponyville!"

Slowly, the gun lowered, and the mare spoke to me through her mask. "Why did you follow me?" She demanded, "It's dangerous out here!"

I snorted. "Coming from the pony who slept out in the open with a fire going!"

Her voice became indignant. "It's cold!"

"Tough it out!"

"Don't talk to me like that!"

"I'll talk however I want, even if you're Mare-Do-Well! Or maybe you're just another poser!" I turned, about to gallop away, when a different tone of voice reached my ears.

"No... wait, please don't go... It's been so lonely out here..." I turned in shock and looked at the mare before me. The mask and hat had been cast aside, and what I saw shocked me to no end.

Sitting in front of me was a gray earth pony, with a blue mane that flowed out in contrast to the color of her face. Here eyes were pools of green, filled with loneliness and pain. Something in those eyes and her voice compelled me to sit down.

"Okay... that wasn't something I expected." I said slowly, making sure she got the implication.

The mare nodded glumly, and looked at the ground, "I know. It's just... I've been going around, helping ponies when I could, but looking for..."

"Looking for...?" I prompted.

"Him." she stated simply, biting her lower lip. I got the meaning.

"Discord!?" I practically shouted. Who in their right mind went after Discord?

"Shhhhh!" The mare hissed, shoving me down, immediately snuffing out the fire. "Do you have a death wish!?"

"What? What are you talking about?" I squirmed under her, trying to get free, but she was on top of me, forcing me to eventually lie still.

"Discord has spies everywhere!" the mare whispered in my ear. "Not only that, but saying his name is now taboo, thanks to a certain spell." I could barely hear her words. "How do you think all the heroes disappear so quickly?"

"What do you mean, taboo?" I whispered at the same volume.

"Taboo! What else could it mean?" she said it as if I should know.

"I know what it means, but why is it taboo?"

"That's how He kills off rebels so quickly. They go on about going after Him, and that allows him to pinpoint their location and send the nearest assassin to kill them. That's also why you were targeted by that pony. He was an assassin, but you didn't know that. He found out about how you killed that gang leader, who happened to have close ties to him. And so, your a target now. He knows you're out here, and that can either be good, or bad."

My eyes widened. "How is that even possible?"

Mare-Do-Well shrugged, "It's His magic. I don't question what he has up his sleeve, I just look for Him." she sighed, and let me up.

As soon as I sat up, however, she shoved me back down.

"What-" a hoof was shoved into my mouth.

I felt her move down towards my head, then felt her breath next to my ear. Her voice was almost inaudible. "One of them is here."

I stopped moving, and sat silently. Soon I heard the faint, oh ever so faint, scrape of careful hooves on dry earth. Mare-Do-Well maneuvered off of me and slunk away, not making a sound. Slowly, cautiously, I tried to do the same. I slipped, and a loose stone clacked away. I froze, as did the hoofsteps. I waited a moment, then looked up to see Mare-Do-Well, her mask and hat back on, gesturing frantically for me to run.

I scrambled to my feet just as the steps came back, quicker than before. I jerked up as a bullet ripped the air a few inches away, and ran.

"Go! Go!" Mare-Do-Well screamed, streaking into the night. I followed, my saddlebags bouncing up and down on my back.

I heard more gunshots, and looked back to see a dark shape chasing me, and chasing fast. I pounded my legs into the ground and gained a burst of speed.

While I ran I tried to pull my gun from its holster with my magic, and I was struggling. I jerked it out, though, when a bullet whizzed by, close enough for me to feel the heat coming off of it. Turning my head, I saw the shape gaining ground again, and fired a wild shot. The shadow stopped, and I slowed. but immediately after I did, the shape moved again and fired off three rounds. I jerked back into a gallop and didn't stop once.

Save the occasional shot backwards, I kept on running. Every shot I sent back made the hoofsteps behind me pause, giving a few seconds respite, before starting up again. Mare-Do-Well was nowhere to be found. Hmph. Some hero. I thought darkly.

A bullet grazed my flank at that moment, and I stumbled. I regained my feet, and heard another shot, which was followed by a scream.

I jerked around and saw the shape much closer than he had been a few moments ago, and i saw a pool of blood glinting in the faint moonlight, along with intestines. I grimaced.

Immediately Mare-Do-Well was at my side, asking questions in rapid succession.

"Are you okay? Did he hit you? Were there any more than one?"

"Stop!" I shoved her away. "A bullet only grazed me. I'm fine."

Mare-Do-Well took a step back. "We need to get you to the Hospitale."

"I'm fine!" I spat. "And what the hell is the Hospitale?"

Mare-Do-Well paused. "No, you're not okay. Their bullets are mixed with poisonous chemicals that will kill you if they puncture the skin. You... you have a few days, maybe a week. The Hospitale is the only clinic area that has a cure."

I shook my head. "And this... Hospitale is where?"

Mare-Do-Well paused again. "The quickest route is through the Everfree."

I blinked. "The Everfree!? Are you crazy? The overgrown, easy-to-get-lost-in Everfree?"

I turned to leave, but a serious, soft voice made me immediately turn back. "No."

My mouth went dry at her tone. "What?" I croaked.

"The Hospitale is the only hidden rebel town in all Equestria." Mare-Do-Well said, "It's where rebels gather to get supplies, food, equipment, and medical help. I myself have stopped there frequently, to restock, and it's the only place that knows how to deal with your wound." She paused.

"Do on." I prompted.

"If you join me, you'll immediately mark yourself an enemy of Him, because you'll have ties with the rebels."

"And if I refuse?"

"You die. Alone, in pain, and without purpose."

I weighed my options. It was either live and fight for the good cause, or die. Hmmm... "Well, being Public Enemy Number 1 beats dying by a mile. I'll join you."

The relief in Mare-Do-Well's voice was quite obvious. "Great!" she said, "Come on, then."

She dashed off towards a dark mass I assumed was the Everfree, and I followed. The pain in my leg became excruciating, but I didn't dare admit it.

Finally Mare-Do-Well noticed and slowed down to a fast walk. "You okay?" her voice was laced with concern.

"I'm fine!" I hissed through clenched teeth. "You're not my-"

My leg collapsed, and I stumbled. Mare-Do-Well caught me and said. "You're not okay."

"Yes! I am! I just-" My leg went into some odd spasm, and I was left twitching on the ground.

Mare-Do-Well stood over me, and said. "I know a place, not too far into the forest. It will offer shelter, and is very defensible. Not only that, but assassins won;t follow us in there." I sensed a "but" at the end of that sentence, but i didn't ask. I knew she wasn't admitting something, though.

"Lead on." I grunted. She helped me to my feet and we were off, leaving the little daylight that was approaching and into the darkness of the Everfree.

But I'm glad we chose her decision. If not, we would probably be dead.


I sat in the shallow cave, thinking over how quickly my life had changed. First I had been a wanderer, not really doing anything with myself, and then I ventured back to Ponyville. I'd killed my sister's murderer, and become the "hero" of the town, therefore making myself Discord's target. Then I had been chased by a murderer, and been saved by legendary Mare-Do-Well. I followed the fleeing Mare-Do-Well, and now I had been sucked into this crazy rebellion that I had never heard about.

And wait... what about Karen? I thought. Was she there in the hospital? I hadn't seen her in the carnage, but the mere thought of her dead... it sent odd shivers up my spine. She didn't seem like the kind of pony to go down easily.

I looked up at this other mare... seemingly harmless as she slept on the ground a foot away. But I saw the high-powered Bolt Rifle tucked carefully under her, and you wouldn't notice it until she pulled it out and shot you in the face with it. Her coat was that same light grey all over, and her electric blue mane and tail seemed in a completely stark contrast to the rest of her. She was stretched out, the costume laying next to her. I had the extreme urge to cuddle with her, but I shook my head violently whenever the idea presented itself.

Oh yeah... and she'd said her name was Catherine, but her friends called her Cat. Friends...? I thought incredulously. Friends were only there to stab you in the back later on.

I ended up focusing on my leg, inspecting the wound thoroughly. It looked like any normal scratch, but by now it sure didn't smell like it, and I could feel it throbbing with my heartbeat. I redressed it and settled down, thinking we were safe, forgetting that hat's what gets you killed...

And waking up to a crash-boom-ROAR! I jerked up and looked around frantically. Catherine was shaking herself awake and dressing quickly. I looked around for my saddlebags and slipped them on, making sure nothing had disappeared during my snooze. Luckily, everything was there, down to the last crumb.

I looked back to the entrance and was yanked roughly up as Catherine dragged me with her, shouting, "We have to go now! Don't sit around! It's how you die here!"

And then, the series of sounds came again, louder and closer. Catherine sped up and I finally regained my feet, casting terrified glances over my shoulder at the thing chasing us.

I tripped over an unseen root and feel, crying out as I landed on my injured leg. The thing chasing us increased its speed, and Catherine righted me quickly and made sure I stayed on my feet, next to me.

We ran and ran, not looking where we might be going, not stopping.

Catherine veered to the left, and took me with her. We fell into the shrubbery, and I shouted. "What the hell-"

Her hoof was shoved into my mouth again. Peering out of the bushes, she motioned for me to check too.

I peered out and saw a hooded, cloaked figure in the clearing we had just been in. It was, from what I could tell, a black pegasus with green stripes here and there on its body. It stood there for a moment, then flipped off the hood. I barely suppressed a gasp.

A horn. A real, pointy horn was protruding from his forehead. An Alicorn. But... but I thought... My mind raced as I tried to process the scene before me.

Just then the sound came from right in front of us, and a huge reptilian beast burst out of the tree cover. I looked like a pony, but had scales, slitted eyes, and moved in an awkward fashion. It was fast, though. I watched as it approached the Alicorn at almost a speed too great to follow.

I almost jumped out to help, but Catherine placed a gentle hoof on my shoulder, shaking her head. I gave her a puzzled look, and she gestured back to the scene before us.

The pony-reptile was kneeling in front of the Alicorn, it's head bowed. The Alicorn spoke words in a screeching, but soft, tone that the other creature replied to in the same voice. I watched as they conversed, fascinated, and eventually the other creature left. The Alicorn remained a little longer, but then took a deep breath. He seemed to disappear into thin air, but an insane cackle could be heard fading into the distance.

Catherine waited a few more moments before speaking again. "That was Leafin," she whispered, "A pony that disappeared into the Everfree before the Discord crisis. He's been driven insane by the years of loneliness, but that's all we know. Nothing about his power, or those... creatures under his command. 'He is an enemy to be feared,' is all we know. Sorry I didn't tell you before; you might have decided to die."

I shuddered. "It's okay. But then... how will we even make it through this place?" I asked.

"Courage, skill, and a little luck." That phrase sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember where it was from. "Come one."

We were sneaking now, fearing for our lives.


A few days later, we emerged; bedraggled, scraped up, and sacred near to insanity.

My wound had gotten worse, and by now I was seeing odd hallucinations everywhere. With Catherine's help and my own willpower, I convinced myself that this cliff wasn't a nice bed, and that that cave wasn't a tropical paradise. The pain was even worse, and every step sent it flaring through my body. A check this morning had revealed a high fever, and Catherine had become urgent in her duty to get me to Hospitale as soon as possible.

The air had been hot and muggy, and it was no better out here in the open.

But even worse... even worse was the screaming that came every few hours, the screaming and cackling of that insane Alicorn. It faded in and out, seeming never to end, and it haunted us in our sleep... not that we had gotten much anyway.

But Catherine had held firm, for the most part, and gradually I felt more sure about going to this rebel base.

As the last mad cackle faded into the distance, a dome opened up in front of us. It was made from scraps of metal, and had gears turning all over it. I saw turrets and guards, barracks and...

"This is the rebel base!?" I exclaimed in spite of my exhaustion, "Why haven't you attacked Disc- Him, already?"

"We did," Catherine sighed, "We were more than twice as string as we are now."

As that sunk in, my eyes widened in horror. What power could Discord have at his disposal if he could wipe out an army stronger than the likes of this in front of me?

Just then a stallion rushed up, panting and gasping. He was a light gray earth pony with a dark blue mane and tail. His eyes were a deep shade of green, and he wore some sort of armor not unlike that of the guards patrolling the area.

"Catherine!" he said, still panting heavily, "You're back!"

Catherine nodded. "Good to see you, Silver Dawn." she said with kindness.

Silver Dawn looked at me. As his eyes lit on my condition, and the bloodied bandage on my leg, his eyes widened. "that's why it took so long for you to get back." he concluded.

Catherine nodded, and I realized she had removed her mask and placed the hat on my head, keeping the sun out of face. She was looking determinedly at the dome before us and began struggling to get me closer.

"Here, let me." Silver Dawn's voice said through a tunnel as I dropped. As black took over my vision, I felt somepony lift me up onto their back.


I awoke to cool, scented air, and urgent voices.

"You said it was a reconnaissance mission! And to eliminate one assassin! I did that!" Was that Catherine?

"It was." Came Silver Dawn's deep, soft voice. "But it didn't require you to bring someone back."

"He followed me, I said!"

"And did you have to let him come with you?"

"Well... no, but he was shot."

"How do you know it wasn't set up?"

"He was clueless to what was going on!"

"Spies can be like that, Cat."

"I know, it's just... for once, he seemed so much..." Catherine's voice trailed away.

"So much like that other guy?" Silver Dawn asked, a little edge to his voice.

Catherine sighed. "He seemed to have the same attitude... and the same spirit... and at first glance, he seemed to have the same looks. I was just so convinced that this was my second chance... to keep my promise..."

Silver Dawn's voice softened. "I know. He would be proud. But we can't take risks."

I slipped out of consciousness before hearing the reply.


I awoke to rough shaking. "Get up!" Came a gruff voice.

I opened my eyes slowly, bleary with sleep. "What? What's the matter?"

"If we're right, you."

Next thing I knew, I was roughly pulled from the bed. I looked around and saw none other than Silver Dawn, glaring at me. He wore the same armor as before, and now I could tell it was golden.

"What did I do?" I asked, standing up straighter and glaring right back, all sleepiness gone. And all my pain. I wondered vaguely how long I had been out.

Silver Dawn must have noticed my momentary confusion, because he gestured to the table next to the bed. "One flower for each day. Brought by Cat."

I looked at the table and saw enough flowers to make multiple bouquets. I stepped back in shock, and my flank came in contact with cold metal. Taking in my surroundings in earnest, I saw a blue metal room, with humming instruments everywhere. I saw a hospital bed, quite large, and the table next to it. I saw a thick glass window, and a hallway, brightly lit, leading in both directions. I looked behind me and saw an outline of a door frame, covered with gears and metal tubing.

I turned back to Silver Dawn. "Is this...?"

"Hospitale infirmary." he reported. "But spies are supposed to pretend not to know."

"I'm not a spy!" I said indignantly, refraining from announcing that I had heard the claim before. "I just followed Mare-Do-Well and go hurt, so she took me here!"

Silver Dawn nodded. "Yeah, sure. You're also supposed to say that."

I growled and ground my teeth. "Why do you need to believe that? If this place is as high tech as it looks, don't you have a lie detector or something?"

"I am the lie detector." Silver Dawn said, before a hoof crashed into the side of my head. I collapsed, weakened from however long I had been in this hospital, and writhed for a minute.

I stood, shakily, and the hoof connected again.

It went on and on, and Silver Dawn added words to his assault. "You think you can waltz in here and sabotage us so easily? You think you can turn us on ourselves so easily? I don't know what you did to Catherine, or how you convinced her that you weren't the guy who had caused the massacre in Ponyville, but you're not good! You even look like someone I used to know, and that's pretty suspicious on and of itself! What do you have to say?"

I lay there, gasping, bruised, feeling blood trickle out of my mouth. Finally Silver Dawn lifted me up. "Time for your trial." He snorted, dragging me along.

Trial? I thought frantically. I haven't done anything! Have just thought I was guilty of some crime, and so they want to put me on trial!?

I struggled weakly, and received another hoof in my face. I felt something dislodge, and spat out a tooth.

In silence I was dragged across cold, metallic floors, the pale blue flooding my vision. I heard doors slide open with hisses, and saw them close behind us, guards flanking every set.

Before I knew it, I was lost in my head, thinking about my sister. I remembered her smiling light grey face, her dark red mane curling around it in a funny looking halo. Her reading bedtime stories to me. Her laughing with me. Her cooking for me... and with me.

Her bloody. Her screaming, in pain. Her body, lying in the street, soaked with blood and violated. Me crying over her, no pony stopping to even cast a glance or say a few words of comfort.

My rage, my hatred as I gathered our things. My sorrow as I buried my sister. My regret after taking it out on our house, making it fall due to bullet holes in it.

My loneliness as I wandered the wasteland endlessly, finding ponies, killing ponies, being betrayed by ponies. Me finding Devil, and taking him to Ponyville. Me killing One-Shot, and meeting Karen on accident. Devil killing Ponyville in one giant massacre. Me meeting Mare-Do-Well, and coming here with her. Seeing Leafin in the Everfree.

And my confusion as I was dragged through these silent humming halls.

And then I was placed on a stand, white light shining in my face. A booming voice called out, "You are Graymane Streak?"

"Yes." I croaked. My eyes slowly adjusted to the light, and I saw a courtroom, just like ones used in the Happy Times... Except i saw three judges, all looking like soldiers, and the jury was a mix of civilian looking ponies and soldiers. In the rows of watching ponies, I saw Catherine at the front. From the way she was looking at me, I assumed I didn't look to good. The rest of the room other than where I was standing was dimly lit, and the far reaches were pitch black.

"Why is he so... beaten?" asked the center judge, a burly stallion with a dark green coat and black mane. His eyes blazed with black fire as he looked down on me, as if I were something he'd stepped on, and was stuck to his hoof. His rumbling voice was scathed with scorn.

"He resisted." said Silver Dawn. "It was self-defense."

"Th-... That's a lie!" I shouted. "I didn't even know what was going on and he started beating me! I-"

A hoof connected with the side of my head, and I slumped onto the desk. Voices rose in protest... and support. I blearily heard arguments breaking out in the jury and audience.

"ENOUGH!" the right judge cried. He was a thin, smart looking stallion with wide glasses. he wore a lab coat, but I could see his coat was a dark blue, and his mane was brown and messy. "We will settle this like civilized ponies." He turned to Silver Dawn, and said in a high, squeaky voice. "Is his claim true?"

Silver Dawn said nothing, nor revealed anything that even suggested an emotion. The right judge nodded and said, "Right. We shall take assault into his account on defense. Proceed." He nodded to the center stallion.

"Graymane Streak, you are held on the account of working for Him(Discord), seducing and turning Miss Catherine Bales, formally known as Mare-Do-Well against her allies, and the massacre of Ponyville ponies. There are also multiple accounts in the past of you murdering ponies, who allegedly did nothing to harm you. What say you in your defense?"

I stood there, jaw agape, appalled at the charges they had just listed. "I.. I didn't do any of those things! Ask Catherine about when we met, she'll tell you!"

"The suspected pony under your influence is not allowed to speak in your defense." the left judge, a mare with a gray coat and pink mane said.

Well, that does seem reasonable. I thought. If she was under my control, she could just deny everything. But still!

"I promise on anything that is holy these days that I didn't do any of those charges. I'll even give evidence."

I began to list off my adventures, starting with when my sister had died. I told them of the many betrayals I'd had, and specifically admitted that I had killed those two mares. I don't know how long I was talking, but I found myself crying at the end, especially during the part where I described Leafin.

"We... we stayed up at night... just in case anything tried to attack. We would take turns on watch, but we never really fell asleep. When we did, his insane laughter echoed in our dreams."

I recounted all the events leading up to now, and specifically recounted how Silver Dawn had abused me.

When I was finished, ponies were crying. Some had shocked looks on their faces, and others were gaping, unable to speak. Sure, stories of this kind were common in This Equestria, but I guess mine must have seemed a little... more than usual.

The judges sat there as stoically as before, but I saw the ones on the sides trying to keep straight faces. A single tear leaked from the center judges face, and he let it go. He took a few moments, and then he spoke. His voice was laced with seriousness, and ponies had by now recovered, but shock could still be seen.

"It seems we have found you, Gray Streak of the Dusk." He said. Several ponies gasped, and others stared at me in awe.

"... What?" I deadpanned., looking warily around at all the attention I was getting.

"You... you remember nothing." the silky voice of the right judge had risen to a squeak.

I thought about that. No, I didn't really remember anything past my parents' death, mainly because I didn't want to relive it. "No, not really."

The judges now exchanged shocked looks. "You... you don't remember anyone here?" the squeaky voiced left judge asked.

"Nothing past my parents' death."

The judges' eyes widened. The center one slammed his hoof on his pedestal. "Then there is no way we can be certain. But for now, you are cleared of all charges. This trial is adjourned!" He slammed his hoof down again, and everypony left quickly, whispering and casting glances back at me.

Catherine was the first to help me down, followed quickly by Silver Dawn, who was apologizing profusely.

"I'm so sorry, Sir Gray Streak, I thought you really were a spy, and that you had hurt Catherine, and that-" I held up a hoof.

"Whoa, whoa. What's with all the respect? You apologized, that's all I care about. And please call me Graymane. No Sir." Who was this "Gray Streak of the Dusk" that the judge had called me?

"Oh... sorry, Graymane." Silver Dawn eased up, and gave a smile, but immediately flinched again when Catherine got in his face, screaming things I don't really want to repeat. Basically, she was scolding him on beating me before we even knew if I was a spy or not.

When she was finished, she started fussing over me. "Oh, look at how bruised you are! We need to get you back to the infirmary." she began leading me away. I looked behind me and smiled apologetically. Silver Dawn shrugged, a bewildered look on his face, and turned to another exit.

In the hallways, I got looks from ponies, looks of awe and fascination. Whatever I was, it apparently meant a lot here. I refrained from asking, though, because it seemed that Catherine might edge away if I suddenly became this pony with a name strikingly similar to mine.

Back in my hospital room, there was a unicorn waiting. He healed me, and I was given my saddlebags. It felt good to have the familiar weight back with me, and I happily set back out into the halls of the Hospitale.

Catherine walked with me, leading me to the cafeteria. She explained to me how this base had been built along the way.

"When He first took over, rebels were strong. But He struck them down easily. He even got followers. Ponies joined him for the glory and safety of working for Him. Right now they live a plush life and are sent out as assassins when the need be."

She looked down, her eyes clouded. But then she shook her head and went on.

"Over time, rebels found out NOT to go on some big quest. They learned to work together. They met, and more met over time. Gradually, this base formed from a simple shack sitting alone a few miles west of an unknown section of the Everfree."

She beamed.

"Many of us are descended from the original rebels that formed the base. Silver Dawn's father was a Royal Guard, and he rebelled along with us. I wasn't there at the time, though, so you'd have to ask Silver. He's very tight-lipped, though, when it comes to things like that."

I nodded. "So... how did half of you...?"

Catherine's eyes clouded again. "Yes... we all decided to launch a mass attack on where we thought He was hiding. It was a trap, and we were ambushed. Since then, we have withdrawn back into hiding, waiting for another chance."

We reached the cafeteria, and all talking immediately stopped. Ponies looked my way, and I began to feel hot under my vest. The only thing that broke the silence, though, was a wailing siren.

Ponies looked up as a voice shouted. "Intruders! Intruders from the East!"

Gasps echoed around the room, and immediately ponies leaped into action. Catherine had a shocked look on her face.

"That's ... that's not possible!" she exclaimed.

"Well, apparently it is." I said, turning around. "Let's go."

She blinked. "Wait... you'll help us?"

"Of course." I smiled. "Won't do me any good to sit around if this place gets overrun."

She smiled back, and was sudden;y in her Mare-Do-Well outfit. "Well then." she said, "Let's go."

We dashed off together, Mare-Do-Well leading the way to where the attackers were reportedly coming from.

Well, I had found a purpose, and a place I might be able to call home, and now it was being attacked.

Will I ever find peace?

Comments ( 18 )

FIRST!!! nad YES!!! it's finally out also glad to see you made Leafin the villan now SS and L are all that are left of the OC's i sent you but i refuse to name them just to piss off anyone who reads this...and i don't have a troll face GIF so sadly i can't put it in here

This sounds slightly familiar...:trollestia:

Very well written, Let's see where this goes...

Why is he called Graymane if his mane is green? :rainbowhuh:

Graymane.... haven't heard that badass name before

@babyseaturtles
You seem awfully fond of that facehoof.

223034

All he does is hate on stories, quite pathetic if you ask me.

222157 Chapter two, explains it does.

222122 Chapter two, explains it does.

222155>>222006

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about, but I was afraid of this...:facehoof:

(sees categories Sad, Dark, and Tragedy)
(sees no Comedy category to balance it out)

...do I want to read this? :fluttershyouch:

Man, I just saw the rating... must need some work.

Pretty interesting read so far. Could use some grammatical clean up. Also someone seems to be a fan of Harry Potter. :twilightsmile:

"I had struggled to my feet and left, but not before the ,ares came back."

Needs to be mares.

""Do on." I prompted."

Should be go

"I redressed it and settled down, thinking we were safe, forgetting that hat's what gets you killed..."

Unless Greenmane is a fan of TF2, I think that's supposed to be 'that's'.

"A few days later, we emerged; bedraggled, scraped up, and sacred near to insanity."

Scared I believe

"We were more than twice as string as we are now."

Damn! I could have sworn the assault on Discord with Silly String would have worked! I guess they just need to be strong then.


"Catherine nodded, and I realized she had removed her mask and placed the hat on my head, keeping the sun out of (my) face."


"I just followed Mare-Do-Well and go(t) hurt, so she took me here!"

"and that's pretty suspicious on and of itself!"

Should be "in and of itself"

"Her bloody."

Her bloody what?

Ok, story-wise it needs a little tweaking. For one I still have not found a single description of the protagonist unless I keep missing it somehow.

Second Silver Dawn needs a bit of an overhaul. So at first he's ambivalent towards Greymane, but after GM's stay in the hospitale, he becomes convinced GM is a spy despite there being no evidence towards it, and even beats him rather severely. After GM tells everyone his story, Silver Dawn switched to almost hero worship. After beating him up under the reasoning he's a spy, the super suspicious SD goes over to being a fan after one story. He sucks as a lie detector.

On top of that GM forgives him after a simple apology for beating the ever-loving crap out of him? That's a bit much to take mate. I'd suggest slowing down the two of them making up by a couple chapters.

Anyway, I hope that helps and I look forward to seeing if and how Mayberry fits into the story.

272541
On top of that GM forgives him after a simple apology for beating the ever-loving crap out of him?:trollestia: Yeah, I was having a little spaz at the moment. This was meant to be a one-shot, but then it got a mind of its own and took off in a very random direction.

As for all the mistakes, I think I noticed those, because usually I'm very careful. Maybe because it was midnight contributed to my bad grammar and planning.:derpytongue2:

276084 Ah! The Franken-story, gaining unexpected life! Still it's quite interesting. Kinda giving me a Fallout vibe a bit. From the actual games I mean, not that behemoth of a fic.

Why was this cancelled?

Login or register to comment