• Published 21st May 2013
  • 3,082 Views, 185 Comments

Reign of the shy-pony - The_Swedish_Horror



When even Fluttershy usurps the throne things are indeed rotten in the land of Equestria...

  • ...
12
 185
 3,082

From bad to worse. Much worse.

"Earth ponies?" Twilight asked with a tremble of fear in her voice. "But how... How could that happen?"
"A spell misfired," Celestia said while sipping her tea. She didn't look very happy to talk about the subject. "So both my sister and I are completely deprived of any magic, I'm afraid."
"What spell, exactly? Maybe I can find some information in my books?"
"The Kitten Spell."
"Kitten Spell? I haven't heard of it before. What does it do?"
"It's for turning something into a kitten. Temporarily, off course."
"Why would you want to do that?"
"Kittens are CUTE! Now less talking, more reading, please. I trust that if anypony can find it, it will be you, my faithful student."
"I will check my books!" Twilight said with a proud smile. If the answer lay written in a book somewhere she was fully in control of the situation and would surely save the day, she thought.

Meanwhile the alicorn Fluttershy slowly sneaked out through the window, cloaked in a blanket to conceal herself from curious eyes. She was still shocked and didn't dare to show herself to the other ponies. It felt so awkward and strange that she almost started to cry again... Oh, what a mess she had gotten into! What would they say? Maybe they would even suspect that she somehow had done this on purpose! What if the princesses would think that she was some kind of copycat and tell her off for turning into an alicorn without their permission? Oh no! That would be so very, very humiliating...

"Stop right there, you tall pony!" a harsh voice suddenly was heard from behind the corner of her cottage.
With a frightened shriek Fluttershy turned around and in the process snagged her blanket on the window sill! Oh no!
"Who are you? Why are you sneaking out of Fluttershy's cottage like a thief?" an old, dusty stallion asked while taking a closer look at her with his near-sighted gaze. It was Mr Greenhooves, her gardener. "Are you some kind of burglar?"
"N-no...?"
"Who are you then? And why're you hiding under a blanket? This whole thing smells like a rotten potato to me... Are you sure you're not a burger?"
"Burger?"
"Burglar! I meant burglar! Have you burglarized poor Fluttershy's home? Answer me, pony!"
"No! I'm... just... running away!" Fluttershy cried and tried to free herself from the window sill, but failed and instead tripped over one of her long legs and fell, losing her blanket in the process and planting her butt in the flowerbed.
Mr Greenhooves gasped at the sight.
"Please forgive me, royal princess! I didn't know better!" he said while kneeling so deep that his old hat fell of. "P-please forgive this stupid old fool for his m-mistake!"
"Um..."
"Please, I... I h-humbly b-b-beg you of forgiveness! Have pity on me... I'm an old blank flank and... I b-b-beg you to show mercy."
His voice trembled with fear like he had insulted a god.
"I forgive you, um... my... my old pony," Fluttershy said with a graceful nod. "Everything is fine."
"Oh, thank you! Thank you, kind princess! Thank you!"
And Mr Greenhooves fled around the corner, tripping over his garden hose in his eager to get away.
Fluttershy was speechless. She was still sitting in her flowerbed, confused and dazzled by the way the old pony had treated her. Nopony ever bowed to her like she was some kind of... princess. But a princess she was indeed.

Twilight put the last book on her table. She had searched almost every book about temporary spells in the library, but she couldn't find any information about the mysterious Kitten Spell. Maybe this was some kind of test? But somehow she knew that would be too good to be true. She started to despair... What if she couldn't find the spell? What would then happen? But if it was only temporary everything would surely go back to normal in just a few hours? Maybe this problem wasn't so big after all...
"I can't find it..." she admitted.
"Oh," Celestia said with her ears pinned. "Maybe... maybe if you look in some other book? The Kitten Spell is not entirely temporary. You might have use a spell reverse it... I probably should have mentioned that earlier."
Twilight gasped in shock.
"That means you used a permanent spell. Which is far worse... Oh no! This is bad, bad bad bad... Princess, have you... eh... do you maybe... might you know more specifically where to look?"
Celestia nodded slightly.
"I found... I mean, I might have heard that it may be mentioned in the Forbidden Book of Dangerous Spells."
"Tis ridiculous! Just tell her the whole truth, sister!" Luna shouted.
The older sister took a deep breath.
"We might also have tried the kitten spell on a pony... But first I would like to point out that, regardless to the events that preceded this unfortunate accident, there is absolutely no need to p..."
"Sister! Just be done with it!"
"We might have... tried it on Fluttershy. As a harmless joke, of course!"
"YOU DID WHAT?!"
"As a joke... It somehow backfired a little. I am truly ashamed, my faithful student. I should have known better."
"And how is she now? Have you turned her into a kitten?!" Twilight cried with tears forming in her eyes. "Poor Fluttershy! How could you do this to her?"
"I'm so sorry. I am truly, genuinely sorry."

But far from being a kitten, Fluttershy was staggering on her shaky legs through the streets of Ponyville. She felt very confused by the sight of ponies kneeling all around her and bowing their heads. But it wasn't entirely unpleasant, she thought... Although she was blushing furiously the shy alicorn somehow enjoyed the unusual respect she was treated with. This was surprisingly different from the time when she was a model for Photo Finish, when everypony swarmed around her like parasprites without any respect for her privacy. She felt like she was almost in control, although her heart pounded in her chest and her legs felt like spaghetti.
After a very awkward walk she had reached Twilight's library. She knocked on the door.
"Um... Twilight? It's me, Fluttershy..." she whispered.
The door opened up, just a little, and Twilight's face became visible. Her eyes turned big with surprise.
"OH! Oh my! Is... Is that you, Fluttershy?! You... you're not a cat! But how?!"
"Copycat?! It's not my fault! This just happened, Twilight... Please, I didn't mean to be any c-co-copycat!" Fluttershy sobbed and started to quiver. "P-please... don't be mad at me! I... sniff... didn't meant to turn into an alicorn!"
"Fluttershy! Quick! Come in!"

After a long and, for some ponies especially, very embarrassing explanation of the royal mischiefs the whole situation slowly became clear to Twilight. Fluttershy was now an alicorn and neither Celestia nor Luna could turn her back since they had lost their ability to do magic. Fluttershy must have acquired all of their power and now she was not a princess, but instead a queen of both day and night! The thought almost startled Twilight. Shy, timid little Fluttershy... Supreme ruler of the world. She was practically a goddess now. A goddess sitting in her sofa, shyly looking down into her tea and using her immense magical power to teleport a sugar cube into her cup.
"We must search the archives for the counterspell! To the Friendship Express!" Twilight said. She was in command now since both princesses somehow had lost most of their royal self-esteem by the humiliation that came with being caught doing something this stupid. They looked a bit ruffled and ashamed.
"Um... I could teleport us there, if that's okay with you?"
"You could? Are you sure? It should take years of practice to master a powerful spell like that," Twilight said, her lavender head tilted to take a closer look to see if poor Fluttershy's pupils showed any sign of concussion or madness.
"Um... Yes... No, I think I'm just... I don't think it's all that powerful compared to the other things that I can do now... S-sorry, I didn't mean to brag... It's just very much within my ability."
"Are you really sure?"
And with a strong flash from her horn they disappeared in an instant...

* * *

...to suddenly reappear right in the Canterlot library in front of Mrs Crumplepony, the head librarian. She dropped a heavy book on her hoof but was to surprised to even take notice.
"Quickly! We must find the Forbidden Book of Dangerous Spells in the Starscream the Bearded wing!" Twilight cried.
"What?"
"Oh, sorry... I meant the Starswirl the Bearded wing. Never mind... We just need the book to reverse the Kitten Spell that turned the princesses into earth ponies."
"W-what? Shouldn't they be like... kittens?"
Celestia rolled her eyes.
"Thankfully not. Can you imagine my sister Luna, sleeping all day and go potty in a box of sand? Oh, you probably can..."

Luna, Celestia, Twilight and Spike furiously rummaged through the shelves in the library in a way that would appal everypony who had the slightest respect for historic books, many of which ended up in a big heap on the floor.
"I've found it!" Twilight shouted after a while, waving the old book in triumph! "It was on the shelf for Old and Forbidden Dragon Magic, for some reason... Never mind! Now all I have to do is to reverse the spell to change everything back to normal!"
"HUZZAH!"
"Well done, my faithful student!"
"Way to go, Twilight!"
"Please don't damage the cover!" (The latter exclamation came of course from Mrs Crumplepony, who didn't enjoy Twilight's handling of the old book at all)

They gathered in a circle around Twilight who carefully put the book on a table not to damage its precious cover. Everything was to be just fine, she thought with a smile. Soon this mess would be over. And once again Twilight and her friends would have saved the day through careful studying and the power of magic!
"And now I will open this book!" she said.
"Lets not be hasty..." said Fluttershy.
With a magic glow forming around her horn she gently shut the book before Twilight got a chance to read it.
"Fluttershy? What's the matter?"

The alicorn looked at her with a begging expression in her big, cyan eyes. She slowly dragged the book towards her across the table.
"I was thinking... What if I could get to be an alicorn a little longer, please? I would like to rule the world for a while, if that's okay with you?"
"But Fluttershy! There is no time for playing around! We must reverse the spell and make everything back to normal as soon as possible!"
"But I would like to be in charge for just a few days... I really need it, Twilight. I'd like to be in control for once! The whole world is now my oyster... Can you imagine how powerful I am? CAN YOU?! Please let me rule the entire world, just for a week..."
"Fluttershy! You know I can't let you do that! And what about princess Celestia? And princess Luna? You can't just usurp the throne of Equestria!"
"But they've already had their turn! It isn't fair! Now it's MY time to play! What if I don't want to go back to being old, meek Fluttershy? What if I instead WOULD LIKE TO RULE THE WORLD?! Yes! Yes I do want to rule the world!" Fluttershy screamed with a voice that almost blew the others off their hooves. Nopony had seen that coming at all.

The room suddenly turned dark and the alicorn looked very intimidating. There was a sinister smile on her face.
"B-but Fluttershy! Please! You're going drunk with power! I beg you, please give me the book!!!"
"Oh, you mean this book, Twilight?" Fluttershy said and immediately turned the Forbidden Book of Dangerous Spells into a solid slab of stone. "Here you go, then. But I somehow doubt that you'll have any use for it... Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a whole world to rule as I see fit... Ha ha... hahaha ha ha ha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"
"No! Fluttershy! Please reconsider!"
"No. No I don't want to reconsider! I want to rule the world!"

Celestia shook her head.
"Oh, that silly filly... She is almost as bad as you, Luna."
"Sister! Don't joke about such matters!"
"I said almost."