• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 588 Views, 4 Comments

Taking A Chance - Valtyra



I leave this place behind and find something much, much better.

  • ...
2
 4
 588

Chapter 4: It's about time...

Chapter 4:

Luna, Celestia and I walk into Luna's chambers. The dark room is refreshing compared to the other, bright, almost gleaming parts of the castle. The room is dark enough for sleeping, but still light enough to actually see stuff.

"Have a seat." Luna says, pointing to her bed. The crumpled covers indicating that we had just woken her up.

I sit down on the edge of the bed and looked about. Luna's room is almost a perfect contrast to her sisters. Celestia's room has only a couple personal items while Luna's has each wall covered.

Luna brings over a spare chair and sits down, "It's so nice to find somebody that speaks the old tongue. Tell me, how did you learn it?"

"It's my language. It's called English where I'm from." I reply.

Her face lights up, "An entire nation that speaks it, how exciting." She says, giddy.

"That's nice Luna, but can you get to the story?" Celestia asks, a hint of annoyance filtering through.

"Oh yes, of course. How silly of me." She clears her throat. "A couple of days ago, I felt a huge magical surge in Canterlot. Not willing to wake you after an 'encounter' with Prince Blueblood, I took it upon myself to investigate. I flew towards the area where I knew it came from, but when I got there I couldn't find anything other than a huge scorch mark on the ground."

She gives a look of annoyance, "Fortunately, while no proper evidence was left; the trail didn't end there. It left that place and traveled down Mane Street, towards the warehouses. I then... how do you say... Staked out the area, looking for anything suspicious."

Celestial and I nod, "Sounds about the time James and I arrived."

"Yes, I'll have to send some of the guards to investigate further." Celestia adds.

"There's another of your species?" Luna asks.

"Yeah, my friend. Celestia has some guards looking for him, but I don't know how long it will take." I reply, looking away, "I just feel so unhelpful. My friend could be hurt and I can't help him."

Luna looks down, her ears follow suit, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it's not your fault, it's that pony that did this."

"What pony?" Both mare ask.

"Um... He was... purple, if I remember correctly. He also had blue eyes... Other than that I can't remember anything."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner!" Celestia shouts, rushing out of the room.

"Woah, hold on!" I shout after her. She stops and turns around.

"I could have had almost every guard looking for this pony," She says, obviously annoyed at me, "Didn't you think it was important or something?"

"I... I don't know. It slipped my mind with everything that was going on."

"Stay here, I have to speak with Captain Shining Armor." Celestia gallops off and turns the corner out of sight.

I sigh and turn around to see Luna standing in the doorway. "Don't worry, she'll get over it. I don't understand why she's so upset though..."

She shakes her head and walks back in. I quickly follow suit and close the door on my way in.

"So... What's up Luna?" I ask, sitting down on the chair, letting her lay on the bed.

"What do you mean?"

"How are you? I've heard you don't get out much." I say, watching her wilt slightly.

"Um... Not really." It seems without her sister there as a support, she isn't that good at talking with ponies or people.

Seeing an opportunity to bond with the other ruler, I decided to ask about some of the items on her wall. "Tell me a bit about yourself. What's this?" I ask, pointing towards a few pieces of metal suspended inside a glass case.

"That's from a battle long ago, it's part of the only spear to actually hit me. I keep it around to remind myself that we are mortal in more ways than we'd like to admit." She explains. Although it's a sad tale, it's nice to see her smile; however small.

"Your sister is worried about you." I say, seeing that smile disappear. She looks about, not focusing on anything. "I don't know about ponies, but in my world, staying inside and not really talking to anyone is a bad sign." I continue.

"I... They still hate me." She replies. I let her continue, "When I came back, I had hoped they had forgotten about my past; I was wrong." She looks at me, "I did some horrible things, it's only right."

"It seems that you need to forgive yourself before anything. You're dwelling in the past too much. You have your entire room filled up with memories; you don't have room for any new ones."

Luna lays there for a moment and looks about, "I'm scared that I'll forget."

"If it means so much, it'll be impossible to forget." I reply.

She nods. "I have to think. Please let me be alone."

"Alright, but if you need to talk; just find me." I say.

"I... Will."

"Oh yeah, do you have a map of the castle, I don't know my way back. I was talking on the way here..." I ask.

Luna's horn glows for a second before a map levitates out from behind her, "I used to need this, but not so much anymore. You can have it."

"Thank you."

"It was... nice speaking to you." She says before closing the door.

I turn around and look at the map. All the place names are in New equestrian, meaning the only place I could go is my room as that's next to Celestia's. Thankfully her room is marked on the map for some reason and I start to move towards it.

Looking outside, I see that the sun is starting to set already, "Must have been a long talk..." I say, turning back to the front.

I finally find my room and walk in, only to find five ponies laying on the bed talking with each other. I stop and do a double take. Shaking my head, I do see five ponies on my bed. I clear my throat, getting their attention.

They all look over to me with different levels of uneasiness. The purple one looks almost excited while the others look uncertain. The unicorn jumps off the bed and trots up to me. She clears her throat and says "Hello."

I stand there for a second shocked, "You can speak 'Old' Equestrian?"

She stands there for a second in thought, "No... know small..." She replies, sheepishly looking at me.

I raise my eyebrows, "Better than nothing," I say.

She trots back to the others and says "Friends." while pointing to them.

I nod and wave to them. They all slowly wave back then speak to the unicorn. I try and remember the name that Celestia said her student has, "Twilight?" I said, getting her attention.

She grins and nods, her bangs swishing about slightly. She points to me, saying "Alex."

I nod back, causing her to smile and chat with her friends some more. I sigh and sit down on the chair next to my desk.

At that moment, Celestia came into the room, saying something in equestrian. She saw me and changed to old equestrian, "Oh Alex, I didn't see you there. How did your talk go?" She nods to the ponies in the room, Twilight rushes up and hugs her, making Celestia smile.

"It was alright, not sure if I helped... How did you know I talked with Luna?"

"I didn't, you just told me." She replied, grinning.

"Well... Okay then." I say, rolling my eyes. "Did you talk with Shining?"

"Shining Armor?" Twilight asks. Celestia explains what happened.

She looks towards me, "Sorry."

I shake my head, "Don't worry."

She tries to figure out what I said, but can't and looks at Celestia, who translates. She gives a small smile.

Celestia talked with Twilight for a few minutes. Afterwards, Twilight nods and turns back to me, "I... teach."

I look to Celestia, "Really?"

She nods, "Yes, turns out she loves to teach more than she loves to learn. Luna and you start in the morning."

"Alright, I better get some sleep then. It's getting late."

"Aha, quite right," Celestia says a few words to the girls and they scamper out of my room, leaving us alone, "Well, good night Alex." She says before turning and trotting out.

"Good night."

-----

I wake up, get out of bed and put on my clothes again. I would have to find the bath house again if I plan any kind of proper stay here.

I walk over to the door and open. Walking through, I see Twilight already up and trotting in my direction.

"Hello!" She practically shouted from down the hall.

I wave and walk towards her, "Good morning." She doesn't understand that, so I just say "Hello." which she does understand and smiles.

I follow her to the library and see that Princess Luna is already here reading. I walk ahead and say, "Good morning princess."

She turns to me and smiles, "Ah Alex, what brings you here?" she sees Twilight trot in behind me and gets excited, "Are you here to learn as well?"

I nod, causing her to squeal in excitement, "This is going to be fun," she says.

Luna speaks to Twilight, making her set up a board and a couple of desks. Twilight writes down the basics.

I spend a couple of hours learning them. Luna has already learnt them so she sat there bored. Sometimes she'll turn and annoy me when Twilight isn't looking.

We leave the library, I don’t really understand any words yet; but I can finally make out what words they say. “Urgh, finally... No wonder I hated school. Always someone annoying me.” I say, looking towards Luna.

She looks away sheepishly, “I was bored, I’ve been learning this for two years already.”

“Alright, alright.” I reply, walking alongside her.

A guard rushes out and towards is, bowing quickly, “Principissa, alius humanus invenerat in Ponyvillam.”

“Est quod verum?” The princess asks.

“What is he saying?” I ask awkwardly.

“He says he has news about your friend.” She says. “He’s in Ponyville currently.” she turns to the guard, “Praepara currum, meabo eo.”

The guard salutes and gallops off from where he came from. Twilight trots out behind us, “Inveniabunt humanum?”

Luna turns to face her and nods before turning to me, “We are to travel to Ponyville.”

“Let’s go.” I say.

We rush to an outside landing pad. My amazement grows when I see Pegasi flying about around it, getting ready for the trip. In front of me lands a chariot, pulled by two pegasi.

Luna jumps on and I hesitantly get in, holding onto the seat so hard my knuckles turn white. Twilight gets on and sits next to Luna. “What’s wrong?” Luna asks me.

“Oh nothing, we’re in an open chariot with no back to it and no seatbelts...”

“Don’t worry, nothing will happen. Trust me.” Luna says reassuringly.

I sigh, “Alright just go, I want to see my bro.”

Luna looks to the ponies pulling us, “Discedite.”she says, causing them to pull us into the sky at a breakneck speed.

Although the ride wasn’t bumpy, my phobia of heights still kept me clinging on the seat like a madman. “Are we there yet!?” I shout, much to the discomfort of the ponies.

“Actually yes we are.” Luna shouts back.

I open my eyes to see that we are indeed circling a small village, “Where would he be?”

“Celestia gave orders to keep him in the town hall, for his own protection.”

“What was he doing?”

“Apparently he was sneaking around town, scaring ponies. He was found by Fluttershy, who’s Twilight's friend.”

“Heh, sounds like James... Alright, can we land? I’m getting a bit dizzy.”

“Adplica.” The princess shouts, causing the ponies to bring us in for a landing next to, what I guessed, is the town hall.

I jump out, feeling better for being on solid land and run up the steps and push open the doors.

-----

Comments ( 2 )

2701985

This is a self-insert, but if you believe it or not, that is how I would genuinely act. I wouldn't freak out.

As for the magic, I've always been fascinated by it. So it's not that hard to believe. For the English, meh magic as we'll, it's not like at this point much could faze me.

2702622
First off -i really like your Story!
It is easy to read and even uses my humor(sometimes)
And the only reason why you would not freak out is because you "know" of ponies.
Thats at least what i think.

ps.: i hope you continue this story:raritywink:

Login or register to comment