RariJack 1,945 members · 537 stories
Comments ( 152 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 152
bats
Group Admin

Greetings!

So, we've had a bit of rapidfire activity just now. JumpityDude asked for some help maintaining and admining our illustrious group devoted to the best ship (best ship title subject to personal opinion), so Jake Roberts and I volunteered for the task. We've added subfolders and sorted all the current stories to help with reader utility in finding something you would like to read, and the dusty forums have been cleared out so we can start fresh.

Jake and I would both like to see this little community grow in activity and discussion, so let's get to know each other. Pretty much anything goes here in this thread, within the standard rules of the site. If you have any thoughts or ideas for things you'd like to see implemented with the RariJack group, please let us know, we'd love to hear your suggestions.

I... I helped to make this happen.:raritystarry:

Words do not do justice to how awesome this feels.

I'd like to see some good RariJack stories. :trollestia:

I am actually kind of serious about that. I've been through the folders, and the only RariJack story I would classify as actually good is Diamond in the Rough by Absolute Anonymous - and that one doesn't even involve them getting in a relationship! If I was being generous I might add Home Grown to that list... which is also by Absolute Anonymous... and they aren't even together by the end of the story. Hm. Seems to be a pattern there.

There are some okay RariJack fics, but there isn't anything like Dance Til We're High, Drinking Alone, Except With Two, Twilight's List, The Games We Play, or Best Young Flier.

Unless there's one sneaking around somewhere and I just haven't seen/read it yet (certainly possible; I haven't actually read much of the RariJack chapter fics at all).

IS there a top-tier RariJack fic? As sadly, much as I adore the pairing, I don't have any ideas for one myself and I've never seen one that I was like "Yes, that is a great story about these two."

It is just kind of weird given that they're the only two characters who actually have flirted with each other on the show.

I have to admit before I knew anything about the fandom, I had expected the big pairings to be AppleDash, RariJack, FlutterDash, and RariShy. Instead TwiDash is insanely popular (though to be fair, it is a reasonable pairing, I just didn't realize how much so until I read Twilight's List, though I still think it is a long shot), Pinkie Pie actually gets shipped to a large degree, and Rarity seems to hardly get shipped at all compared to the others (because people think she's straight, maybe?). It is doubly weird given that Rarity is as popular as she is.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

Well, I was pretty proud of the one I wrote and put in the group... just saying.

Though the jewel of reisenburg (pretty sure I butchered that title, but on moble so meh) was really dang nice.

And a decent chunk of AA's stories were overrated in my opinion, compared to someone like Ebon Mane's shippings, anyway.

This story? Is there more to it somewhere else?

bats
Group Admin

My personal favorite RariJack fic is Collide, although it's not terribly happy-fluffy-cutesy type shipping, for that I found Of Apples and Diamonds to be rather charming.

Your point, however, is an extremely valid one. RariJack as a whole seems to be relegated to background shipping while a story focuses more heavily on other pairings/activity. This has been done to excellent effect in some stories—for example, Growing Pains is a dark adventure world-building story that has Rarijack as one of the pairings while the main focus is on a brewing war with outsiders while the world itself is spewing vile monsters out into the wilderness—but it's also led to some major iffyness. RariJack is a pairing that, I feel, works very well when a lot of time, effort, and words are devoted to showing it working. In the example of Growing Pains, that was very much present, it's just sprinkled into a 350k+ word story. Other times, it's not given the reasonable amount of time and all a reader sees of it is the two of them having a lover's bicker and the other characters exchanging knowing smiles. I don't find that a very satisfying form of shipping, myself.

I didn't really like Of Apples and Diamonds. It was not a terrible idea for a story, but I just didn't feel like it was nearly as well-executed as it could have been, or needed to be.

I have yet to actually read Collide, it has been on my list forever, so maybe I'll go do that right now.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

Huh... that used to be complete. What in the sam hill did he do?

More good RariJack stories! :ajsmug::raritywink:

Ended up eating lunch too, but I did read the story. Collide was alright; it won a thumbs up from me.

And I'm actually fine with non-fluffy stories.

But the problem I had with Collide was that it didn't really... hit me in the feels I guess? It didn't really go into the emotional depths that I hope for I suppose. Yeah, they got upset with each other, but why do they care about each other? Its just kind of assumed we know, and largely left unstated.

It was a fine story, but it wasn't what I consider a good story.

I have actually read that one, and it is one of the better Rarijack stories I've read.

Maybe I'm just greedy because I want moar :duck::ajsmug:

Definitely needs a prompt tag game. If no one has started one by the time I get home I'll probably start it myself.

TwiDash got popular for basically the same reason Human-loving-Lyra got popular. A bunch of people saw the two really popular TwiDash fics and tried to ape off their success. This worked for awhile, but has since died down a bit.

So the same could work for RariJack. Someone could write an 80k+ RariJack story and get it on EqD early enough to hit the update posts with each new chapter, then the story would get popular and people would write their own stories about Rarity and Applejack.

bats
Group Admin

What I'll say to that, is that there's enough in-show interaction that can easily be taken as flirting that it's fairly easy to go in with an assumption that the characters at least have crushes on each other without building from nothing. I believe something similar can be said for Appledash; there's just some on screen chemistry that really suggests a level of potential romantic, or at least sexual interest.

I get what you're saying about collide, though, it didn't really hit me in a particularly feelsy place. If I'm being honest, I'd say I like it more as an interesting and idiosyncratic Rarity character study that happens to have Rarijack, than as a pure Rarijack story.

Really what we need is more Rarijack stories. :ajsmug:

I just assumed that TwiDash got popular because they got an episode together which gave them something to share. Plus they actually DO work together, being the two most ambitious of the group who also love mastering something for the sake of mastering it. I mean, Twilight wants to impress Celestia, and Rainbow Dash the Wonderbolts, but even those things aside, they do truly love and revel in magic and flying, respectively.

Also, while not necessarily a RariJack story per se, I just read Barrelled Up and it made me giggle.

bats
Group Admin

Oh yes. That is my favorite of his TMP prompt compilations, even over Egghead and Featherbrain.

And if we're going for funny ones, Unrequited Lust made me giggle uncontrollably.

Ah, yes. This! All of this! :raritystarry:

I haven't read a whole lot of Rarijack myself, despite being a big fan of it. :twilightblush: Does anyone have any good recommendations?

1373652>>1373665
Incidentally, would Barrelled Up qualify as a RariJack fic?

Well, yes. And AJ has a crush on Rarity. Its a pretty short story (under 2k words), you could just read it if you haven't, it is pretty good.

bats
Group Admin

1373723>>1373763

I gave it a read, it was rather fun.

I'd say that even with the implied crush it's too minor a point to really be full-on shipping, so into the friendshipping folder with it.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

Well, to be that guy and whore myself out--I'm updating mine in a couple of hours tops. Might take a look if it tickles your fancy. :ajsmug:

Or here's one that I liked pretty well, iirc: here

While the premise behind that story was deeply amusing to me, I didn't think much of the execution. :fluttershbad:

Yea, I don't really remember how it ended. I just remember the early parts of the story being entertaining.

I will, I will! Just as soon as I can write one to start it off!

I love Rarijack. They just have so much canon interaction, and the show has been dropping hints everywhere. :applejackconfused: I usually partner it with my OTP, Flutterdash, and either Twiluna or Twipie, and it works out just fine. I hope that it becomes more popular than it already is! :twilightsmile:

As far as suggestions go I would like a place for people to post Rarijack, photos/videos/comics/gifs and such. I don't want to have to wade through the endless piles of 4chan and deviantart to find only one, okay at best, Rarijack picture. If there was a little thread devoted to sharing things, other than stories because that's the point of the main group, it would be ever beneficial to people's Rarijack folders everywhere. There would have to be two threads of course (a SFW and a NSFW thread.)

All you would do is say: I found this picture/video/thing and thought it was cute.

bats
Group Admin

You got it. No NSFW thread though; it's against the site's rules to post either pics or links to NSFW material in group forums. SFW thread will be up shortly, though. :raritystarry:

You've probably seen my Rarijack story. I do plan on making another one, with Rarity as the main. I just have so much trouble staying within her character. I have no problem with applejack, just Rarity. it takes me a while before im satisfied with what i have of her.

1374931 It is against the rules to post NSFW picture on this site? Well they obviously don't skim through every clopfic comment section. Oh yeah thanks I love Rarijack art more than anything!

1373862 Shameless advertisement for the win! I'll join you! Not that my shit is anything beyond average, but hey, I'm trying. It counts, right? But seriously, yours is one on my read later list... which, in that case, I'll get to from soon to God knows when.

There's just not enough Rarijack love on this site, nor are there enough Rarijack stories in my opinion, so these this group is super help to help me find anything of at least mild interest. If anything, I recommend Dirt. Now looking at the link, I just realized it's updated. It's not humanized, despite the picture, and it's just an overall nice story.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

It's against the rules to post it anywhere but a NSFW blog post, or in NSFW marked chapters of a story.

Since this is the main socializing thread, I'm gonna go ahead and deviate from everything that's been talked about and ask everyone in this group one crucial question. I humbly ask that you take a few minutes to think on your answer. I cannot overstate the importance of this question enough for everyone in this group.

*Ahem*

PANCAKES OR WAFFLES?

Fair. I'd have to go with pancakes though. While waffles may be the superior culinary food choice, I have far too many fond childhood memories of making pancakes with my dad in the kitchen on Sundays to disregard them entirely. Plus, Stampede Breakfasts here in Calgary are made with pancakes, making them clearly the superior Calgarian breakfast item :derpytongue2:

bats
Group Admin

Basically, the way the rules work, makes it so that in order to see anything NSFW a user either needs to 'consent' to seeing something NSFW. Stories marked mature are automatically invisible to users that have mature filtered, and if they're given a direct link they have to push through a button agreeing to see it. Blogs that are tagged have the same requirement of pressing a button accepting seeing it. The site staff wants that level of a barrier between a user and NSFW content, and they do not currently have a way to tag either groups as a whole or individual forum posts as NSFW. Sticking that in the title of a thread isn't enough, they want that button click-through.

The work-around, which if someone were to do I wouldn't have a problem, would be to set up a blog post on their profile with pics, tag it NSFW, and then link their blog post in a forum comment. Inelegant, especially since adding to it would take place in the comments, but it's within the site's rules.

1375147 Is it possible to have a saucy tag like in Equestriadaily?
Instead of posting the picture out right we put something like this:
Saucy Rarijack Kiss
Don't worry the picture isn't actually saucy it is just an example of what the posts would look like.

bats
Group Admin

I wish we could do that. Heck, I wish we could just tag threads as NSFW the same as blog posts. But alas.

bats
Group Admin

1375797 I wish I there would be a forum somewhere on some website that had just cute/saucy pics. Why is the internet so "all or nothing"? A website is either: anthro, crotchboob, futas, with tentacles or "Rarity is wearing socks!?!?! REPORT IT!!!!"

Is there no middle ground on the internet?

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

It's why you search the hardcore sites with filters on. That way you only get "humanized characters in a monogamous relationship sharing a moment and expressing their love in either a warm embrace, or at worse, consensual sex in the missionary position."

Edit: and 1375147

The work-around, which if someone were to do I wouldn't have a problem, would be to set up a blog post on their profile with pics, tag it NSFW, and then link their blog post in a forum comment.

Worst case, I could jump on that grenade, even though I'm not a fan of pony NSFW. I mean, I have a few blog posts from way back when that were tagged not work safe in the first place--I could ghetto one out for NSFW images, if the group needs me to.

1375942 Yeah but I'm lazy and applying filters takes to long. I'm an instant gratification teen of the late 90's I want my exact idea other wise I won't like it at all.
*Cynical Sarcasm*

Crepes are kind of tasteless really. Its all about what you put on them.

For me, Waffles > Pancakes generally, but REALLY GOOD PANCAKES can beat out waffles.

bats
Group Admin

LIES.

No, I know what you mean. But who eats crepes with nothing in them? That's crazy-talk.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

Now, you see, if you're getting thin enough for crepes, you might as well just have an omelette instead. Tastes better.

No one, because it would be pointless.

But the thing is that no one really likes crepes. They like things you put ON crepes. Like whipped cream or strawberry or jam or whatever.

You know, I bet Rarity likes crepes. And Applejack hates them, because they're fake food.

bats
Group Admin

Bah, omelets are an entirely different sort of breakfast.

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

You know, I bet Rarity likes crepes. And Applejack hates them, because they're fake food.

I'll be damned if you didn't give me an idea for a one-shot.
I mean, it falls under the thin-crafted design that crepes have. They're like crepes on testosterone.

bats
Group Admin

I like crepe-constructed meals. Take preserves and marscapone, or sausage and gravy, whatever it is, wrap it in a crepe and I'm there.

Also, vietnamese crepes. A Bahn Xeo is the perfect meal and is just a crepe on its own. And it counts as a crepe, so NYAH.

1375093 French Toast!

... I like being different. Don't judge meh. :fluttershbad:

Merc the Jerk
Group Admin

sausage and gravy

Now that's a man's breakfast. Biscuits and gravy is what you eat at 6 am before going out to go milk the cows.

A-at least it's how I did it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 152