Twilight's Library 4,834 members · 6,257 stories
Comments ( 131 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 131

Alright so I spoke with arcum and he gave me permission to renew and restart the Twilight Library feature system, something that has been neglected for far to long. Anyway so here is how the new system is going to work. Suggestions for fanfics that should be featured will be posted here. This is the format that will be used:

Name of Fanfic (with link included)
Tags:
Word Count:
Number of Views:
Reasons why the fic should be featured:

There are also some rules that are going to go along with this:

1. The fic must be in Twilight Library
2. The fic cannot be your own fic
3. The rating should be Everyone or Teen (exceptions can be made for mature but that will be arcums call)
4. It would be nice if fanfics were under 1000 views. This is really to get unappreciated fanfics some love. It isn't required for it to be under this limit though.
5. Less than 200 likes would be preferred

To the Admins and Contributors. If, when you are approving fics you see something that stands out, feel free to post it here. Arcum really wants the feature system to get back up and running and so do I. Also, though it isn't necessary, it would be great if we could feature fics that are really good but don't have a lot of views.

Remember that this is open to anyone, staff or not. Just be sure to try and keep with the "standards" we have set.

Also, since I am going to purge the old thread, here is everything arcum posted in the last one for reference

Since I can see myself having trouble coming up with featured fanfiction eventually, I thought I'd open up a thread where anyone who is interested can post suggestions for fanfics to feature.
My main criteria are:
a) It's something you've really enjoyed reading. Obviously this is somewhat subjective. Preferably it is already in Twilight's Library, as well.
b) I'd prefer it to have under 200 or so likes. The lower the better, assuming it deserves more likes then it has. In other words, I'm looking for lesser known fanfics, most likely ones that haven't been featured on the main page. I'd rather direct traffic to fanfics that need it.
c) It shouldn't be a fanfic that you wrote. Otherwise, it could get into everyone recommending their own fanfics.
d) It shouldn't be anything I wrote. Even if it meets all the criteria. Sorry, my featuring my own fanfiction would be a bit much.
Obviously, I'm not going to feature everything posted in this thread, and I have my own ideas on things to feature, so even if I like a suggested fanfic, it may not be featured for a while. I thought it'd be nice to let the members of the groups get a bit more involved in it if they want to, though.

Mayhem

arcum42
Group Admin

That's alright. It mostly looks good. Things I would generally like from featured fanfics are for them to have 200 or less likes, and a low view count would be good. Basically, I want them to be good fanfics that need more attention. Not too dissimilar from Seattle's Angels, really.

--arcum42

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

it would be great if we could feature fics that are really good but don't have a lot of views

I've added a few of those myself. I think we can make this happen.

So, uh, I know I don't do much in the way of activeness here, but I am a contributor, so I'll make a recommendation, since one immediately sprung to mind:

The Homesteading
Tags: Romance
Words Count: 22,718
Number of Views: 877
Reasons why the fic should be featured: While 877 views isn't that bad, it's criminally low for the depth of quality and emotional resonance the story contains. It's a paranormal mystery story with holiday window dressing and a mature (as in grown-up, not explicit) look at a relationship that's been ongoing for a while instead of fumbling to get together. Everything in the story hangs together extremely well: it's chilling when it's supposed to be, emotional and heartfelt, and paced so nothing wears out its welcome or gets rushed by too quickly.

Honestly, this is one of the best things I've read in a long time, and I've been gushing about it wherever I could, so might as well gush here.

That's what I figured. There are so many good fics out there that don't have a lot of views

Alright getting the ball rolling. That is excellent I will read over this tomorrow night

Yes I desperately want this to get up and running again. It was just falling apart when I joined the group. I really like the system and well there are a lot of group members so it will help some folks get some more story views.

arcum42
Group Admin

2379486>>2379491

Hadn't realised that one was still under 200 likes. I'll pre-approve The Homesteading.

--arcum42

I like it!

~Skeeter The Lurker

arcum42
Group Admin

I've already read it, I'm the one that added it, and I agree with bats, basically.

--arcum42

Alright then. I'll get it up on the front page tomorrow. I am traveling all day though so maybe I'll do it Sunday and then we can do a new one every Sunday

arcum42
Group Admin

Sounds like a plan. Of course, I recommend reading it anyways, just because it is a very good fanfic.

--arcum42

Guardians Of Many Hues
Tags: Tragedy, Sad, Slice Of Life
Words Count: 44,519 (in 22 chapters)
Number of Views: 1,089 (11,481 total)
This is the story that deserves far more attention that it has. While this is far away of being my favorite genre (which is Romance), it's by far one of the best stories I've read so far. It touches Scootaloo's past events and explains why she is so reluctant to reveal her past away to anypony, including her closest friends, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

The story also dives into corruption that's present even in the peaceful and mostly harmonic Equestria, when Rainbow and Twilight want to take care of the custody of Scootaloo.

It's emotional, engaging, and overall well written, despite being the author's very first story.

~Twi

I've got a few, although only two of my favorites fit all the criteria. As an aside, do admins submit stories to the contributor recommended folder or just add them to the Library?

Anywho,
Name of Fanfic All You Need Is Love
Tags:[Romance][Tragedy][Slice of Life]
Words Count: 3,182
Number of Views: 108

Reasons why the fic should be featured: This story is fantastic! It was in the top 5 of The Writer's Group's September contest, which tells you right off the bat that it's good. What I like best about it is that it takes an overused plot device- love potions- and takes them in an entirely different direction. It's not the panacea that most stories use it as. It's a last resort to save a marriage that might not be worth saving. Speaking of broken marriage stories, I like those stories. Something about the struggle and the uncertainty makes for a better story than stories about falling in love for the first time, and this story captures all of that.

Plus it's named after a Beatles song. :rainbowlaugh:

Name of Fanfic: Shine Down on Me
Tags:[Sad]
Word Count: 2,553
Number of Views: 198

Reasons why the fic should be featured: This story also placed well in a contest, grabbing second place in the World Building Alliance's March contest. Over time, I've started to understand why Seattle's Angels likes the WBA so much: they have so many damn good stories! It's quite unique to see Iron Will as a calf, especially when he's in his home country. What grabs me most about this story isn't the emotional process Will goes through, although his grieving process is competantly written. The thing I like best is the world-building. There's this sense that there's so much more to the landscape than what we see. The social order is touched upon, and a few relatives are mentioned, but there's a sense of hidden depth. That's how you write solid world building.

Name: Hitch a Ride
Tags: [Slice of Life]
Word Count: 8,410
Number of Views: 305 as of posting
Reasons why the fic should be featured: This is a talented author who doesn't get as many followers as his writing deserves. Hitch a Ride is a quaint, moving story about the lives of several ponies and the inspiration they provide to Twilight. The stories we hear are heartfelt, and the writing itself flows nicely and is mechanically outstanding. It's got far less views than it should have, and I feel it's worthy of being featured.

2379470>>2386640>>2383021>>2380227>>2379807>>2379588>>2379486

The featured fanfic this week is The Homesteading. All the other fics submitted will be used for next weeks pick. Keep them coming everyone.

Um, I know I'm not a contributor, but I'm just curious to know for how many weeks Guardian of Many Hues has been the featured fic of the week?

For awhile I haven't had time to work on this. It will resume today with a new story.

But in really it's not something you need to worry about :moustache:

Title: How Ponyville Was Made
Author: Cola Bubble Gum
Tags: dark random slice o'life
Words: 4,180

A 1st person perspective origin story for Ponyville, and perhaps much more. Perfect command of pinkie's voice, won 2nd place in the first TWG contest, criminally low view count.

I think I should recommend our own admin's fic.
Cubic Zirconia
Author: arcum42
Tags: Dark, Sad, Slice of Life
Words: 28,727

A wonderful Diamond Cutter fic, this manages to make Diamond Tiara a very sympathetic character without rushing into making her a nicer pony.

A little high on views, but it has been up for 10 months without a single dislike. I consider it the best of its genre on FIMfic.

Lonely Mountains
Author: TadStone
Tags: Dark, Sad.
Words: 21,278
Views: 461 (3,252 total)

Scootaloo deals with loss of her adopted mother, Rainbow Dash, and it does that properly. I recommended that when I was a contributor, and I will recommend it again.

This is how you deal with loss properly.

~Twi

arcum42
Group Admin

A reader once downvoted Cubic Zirconia. He was never seen on fimfiction again.

(Seriously. There was a single downvote that disappeared when someone was permabanned.)

To be honest, I usually try to avoid pointing out the lack of dislikes on it because I figure someone will give it a dislike just because it's pointed out. Thanks for the nomination, though. Just knowing people think highly enough of it to suggest it for a feature is a good feeling.

Not sure having a story by me featured on a group founded by me is a good idea, and it does violate my original criteria, but, meh, I'll let Mayhem decide on that one since he's running it now...
--arcum42

Hmm I haven't read Cubic Zirconia so it's possible, though some explanation may need to be given so nobody suspects you put your own story up

2826946 I will gladly be that idiot who does so then. :pinkiehappy:

Just kidding, I would never downvote something without at least reading it first. Means I am going to have to check it out.

I am sure people would be alright if it was featured. It isn't like you recommended it, and it does seem like a good story. :twilightsmile:

Now if it was crap, then the readers would probably care. :facehoof:

There's a very simple solution to that problem: don't tell anyone. Nopony will suspect a thing c:

~Twi

True enough. Most peeps know I took over this anyway

arcum42
Group Admin

Well, here, just tossed it in the Gem Hunters incoming folder, so now you have an official reason to read it. :pinkiehappy:

I've been surprised how good the response has been on it, actually. I figured it'd be downvoted by both people who liked and hated Diamond when I originally published it, but it was a story I wanted to tell, so I was alright with that. Now, of course, it's got 162 upvotes...

I still think it may get some downvotes when some of the plot twist I have in mind eventually happen.

Completely up to you. If you do read it, just try to ignore that it's written by me, and I have no issue if you read it and don't think it should be featured.

--arcum42

Well I like your other stories so...well we'll see what happens. I've got some suggestions to play with for next weeks feature at least.

2828145 I guess I will have to then. Gotta lot of catching up there anyways. Been relaxing for way to long. Making me work...grumble grumble...

arcum42
Group Admin

Don't worry too much about it. I'd been thinking of submitting it over there anyways, since "Dark and Deep" got Ruby status. And there are plenty of stories that have been sitting in the incoming folder there much longer that likely have priority, like "Special Talents" and "She Wants To Know What Love Is".

And believe me, I can very much sympathise, with the trouble we have with the incoming folder here.

Exactly. Some of the others are shorter, and you could get through them faster, if you're low on time.

Cubic Zirconia has somewhat slowed Just Winging It, unfortunately, because I keep finding myself much more in the mode to write CZ...

--arcum42

Oh how I understand that. Been so busy with Guardian Angel that I haven't been able to work on the collab I signed up for.

arcum42
Group Admin

On the reverse side, a 'possible collab at some point in the future' turned into 1.7k words this weekend for me. Jointly, since about half was written by me.

Still, I've got a nice little nightmare scene that may happen in CZ written now...

2828226 Oh the life of a reviewer. Makes me 'almost' sorry for submitting my behemoth into most groups that review.

Name of Fanfic: I Wish I Had Met You Yesterday

Tags: Sad

Words Count: 22,068

Number of Views: 273

Reasons why the fic should be featured: This is perhaps the most criminally underappreciated story I've ever seen(from the most underappreciated author I've ever seen). It has an original premise, and the writing itself is impeccable. The characterization is spot-on, and while the whole story is told from the point of view of an OC, it gets you to truly feel for her and sympathize with her struggle without seeming too forced. It may be long at 22,000 words, but I had absolutely no regrets reading it all the way through.

In fact, I'd even consider asking you all to feature two of his other stories at some point: Flight, Failure, Faith and Family, and We Apples, Three. Both are masterpieces of the highest caliber, and both are also WAY underappreciated. If anybody deserves to have a story featured on here, I think it's this guy.

They all seem decent. I'll add them to my list

I'm sorry, but I have to counter this. First, none of these stories are in the Library. Arwahle just crammed all three into the Incoming / Oneshots even though none of those are oneshots, thus earning himself a 24 hour ban. This will follow a removal of all three.

You should post these in the suggest a story thread. Too bad.

~Twi

For real? Le sigh well then. Too bad because they looked really good :facehoof: Striking those off the list, and probably not ever adding them back to it.

:trixieshiftright: Kind of disappointed about what Twi pointed out.

scoots2
Group Contributor

Thanks so much for featuring Swear on Camembert, btw! What an honor! Kind of amazed.

Well, after my cleaning spree, I can finally suggest the following:
A Bolder Note Than This
The Cellist of Saraneighvo (Quality fic, but 1000+ views)
I, Witness
Dust

IKR? :pinkiehappy:

Now that I can ensure they're in TL before suggesting them, I'll hopefully be keeping you fed as feature-worthy stories arise.

As a suggestion, you might consider moving the Featured Story bit up closer to the top of the group page. I, for one, was entirely unaware that this group did features until I caught Truffles recommending one of mine for it, since you have to scroll down quite a ways before the featured story becomes visible, and even then it can be quite easy to miss in the mass of group info.

Putting it up at the top so it's more readily visible would help to remedy this, and anyone interested in the group information itself would still know that they could scroll down to find it.

This one is very polished, but it's a bit high on the views (2.4k). I'll mention it anyway because it did a lot of things right:
If Only In My Dreams

View
Tags: Sad, Dark
Words Count: 1,849
Number of Views: 252
Reasons why the fic should be featured: It's got an interesting viewpoint that the author completely commits to. It is abstract, but in a way that allows the reader to just go with the flow of the experience even if they do not understand it. And then that twist at the end. Things started dawning as I read along, but it still managed to take me by surprise.

Name of Fanfic: As You Fancy, Minister
Tags: Crossover, Slice of Life
Words Count: 10,500
Number of Views: 63
- The author manages to create a believable but easy to follow conflict out of an obfuscated legal system the reader is not familiar with.
- Despite the relatively short length, the characters are well fleshed out without any reference to the crossover material required. In fact, its self-contained and Equestria-centered enough to not need the crossover tag at all.
- Each character is likable, or in Apple's case entertaining. Even Blueblood. I had a well-earned moment of sympathy for everyone involved at one point or another.
- And to top it off, the story looks polished with no glaring typos, proper formatting, exc exc.

I think I'm going to be starting my own personal feature shelf on my user page for funzies.

Love
Tags: Romance, Sad, Slice of Life
Words Count: 1441
Number of Views: 202
Why the fic should be featured: I don't see much end-of-life Shining-Cadence. The author conveys Shining's situation with just the right amount of indignity to bring out how merciful Cadence's care really is but without going overboard. I was right there with Shining the whole time. Also nicely proofread to boot.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 131