The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
Owlor
Group Admin

We're multinational over here, which can be a great resource should you ever need translation from one language to another. That's why I figured I'd set up a thread for just that. this thread should be for a) Requests and b) Listing what languages are avaiable. So if you speak a non-english language and don't mind checking back on this thread every once in a while to see if there's any updates, please say so and I'll add it to the list. :twilightsmile:

Some ground rules:

1. We're talking short non-english passages in an otherwise english text here, NOT translating an entire fic to a foregin language, that'd be a little more than most translators could swallow I imagine. :twilightoops:

2. If its something you don't wanna reveal due to spoilers or a longer passage, you can prolly ask trough PMs, but in general I'd prefer if the translating is done here in the open since it can be used for future resources or for others to correct/offer alternative phrasings if needed.

Here's hoping this will be useful. :twilightsmile:

Volunteers so far:
(Again, be nice and polite when approaching them, be aware that they may be caught up in other project and that this is only for shorter passages within an otherwise english text, or more general if you're having questions about the language, NOT for translating an entire fic.)

German:
GnollReader

French:
Dafaddah

Icelandic:
Askre

Swedish:
Owlor
Ferlathin
Feurisson
(Vi har tydligen massor med svenskar här...)

Latin:
Feurisson

Spanish
ScribbleStick

Russian:
Cytotoxin

Brazil Portugese
Lucefudu

German here, good idea! I'll keep hanging around and see if there's anything I can help with if it's requested ^^

I would be happy to do short translations to and from French. :scootangel:

Dafaddah

Does anypony know Latin, I wonder?

I have Spanish covered.

I could use a German translator! PM me for details.

Latin? Hm. I could probably use that, too. PM me if you're interested.

Although I seriously doubt anyone will need it, if you need anything in Icelandic, just send me a line :pinkiehappy:

Pfff, I wish I knew something. I can usually make an educated guess from L->E, but I don't know jack about the other way around, aside from the fact that literally EVERYTHING is context-sensitive.

Owlor
Group Admin

Aaactually, I might need you. :pinkiehappy: Y'see, I'm writing this fanfic about Mjölna, (background pony from super speedy cider... with a Thors hammer cutie mark) whom I'm writing as a weirdly out-of-place norse pagan and there's a brief scene toward the end of it where she's talking to kind of an old spirit in her mother tounge. Originally, the lines where actually just lines from Hávamál, cus I don't speak old norse language, nor would I ever be able to FIND anyone who speak old norse that wouldn't be horribly confused by the concept of a My Little Pony fanfic. :twilightoops:

But Icelandic would be the next best thing. It'd fit the character quite well because of how the prose Edda and many other famous norse texts are written in Icelandic. While I imagine that modern icelandic must've changed a quite a bit since Snorri Sturluson, it'll at least fir much better than if I where to have her suddenly talk in modern swedish, which is all I can muster on my own. :twilightsheepish:

Sure I can help you with that. Just let me know when you need Icelandic translation and I'll do it :twilightsmile:

486006 Hey, I'm actually learning Old Norse right now in university (Swedish, by the way, too), and I'm not horribly confused by the concept you've got going on. So I might be able to help you as soon as I've got a basic understanding of its grammar... (It's even more complicated then Latin...)

Aside from that, I could also provide services in German, Spanish and Latin.

Owlor
Group Admin

You might be able to help me out with creating the regular speech pattern for the character, since I could prolly take some inspiration from old norse grammar in the wa she chooses to word her sentences, but for the final scene, I'd prolly go for fluency rather than accuracy.

Latin is great! Cus sooner or later someone's gonna have to try to make an academic motto or something like it and need to use it.

487212 You mean I could help with her syntax, or what do you mean exactly?

You can pen me down for Russian - be it language or cultural advice.

484465 Lucefaggot reporting in for being a [strike]jungle nigger[/strike] Brazilian.

484465 This was actually a great idea.

If anyone needs help with Polish work, ask me. I am always happy to help.

I can gladly help with German and Italian.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

I'm the only user qualified to translate Lemonian.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19