• Published 10th May 2013
  • 396 Views, 4 Comments

Forgotten generation - ResearcherBrony



After graduating from Celesita`s school for gifted unicorns and moving in to Ponyville, Lyra has begun to feel strange magic surges and has been remembering things that were even part of her own mind.

  • ...
 4
 396

Ch.2: The grim truth

-Chapter 2-

Princess Luna stood on her balcony of her room, looking out at the falling moon and the rise of the sun as the dawn of a new day was about to commence. She left uneasy and her wind was wondering to every corner of her brain it could reach, taunting her with thoughts that made her grim in displeasure. The alicorn had had a very long work night, more than usual in fact. But something had happened which she was unable to formulate an answer too. While she was entering ponies dreams as she usually did, she felt a strange, mixed feelings of fear, loneliness, and frustration. She tried to search out the source of this unusual and uncomfortable feeling with no real avail, until she came upon a house that her and her elder sister knew to well. Luna flew down towards the balcony of a particular spearmint colored unicorn who seemed to be having awful dreams due to the amount of movement and tears the unicorn was making. As Luna placed all her hooves on the balcony floor, she then proceeded to cast a spell which would have been extremely complicated for any mortal unicorn was a simple activation of her horn, and soon after she was in the realm of dreams. But dream was different. In fact, she wasn't even in the dream per say. She was standing in front a large gate which seemed to be suspended in a kind of space like dream connection between dreams. Luna had never had to go through the procedure of going through a gate before to access a dream, and what was even more peculiar was the gate itself. The frame was made up of large sharp black as night crystals and in the center of the frame was two doors that had a mix of clear and black crystals mixed together in very interesting patterns and shapes, but none the less, the gate had a menacing mood coming off of it.

"Odd that I was unaware of this phenomenon," Luna thought to herself, " but I feel as if this dream doorway is somewhat... familiar..."

Luna then recalled of something she had no intention of remembering.

"No! Don't think of such events. You are stronger than you're memories. Just forget. Forget..." Luna insisted to herself as she then returned her attention to the gate who's presence was still quite strong. Her horn began to glow again as she tried to open the doors. Even if this was a realm where the laws of physics did to apply, she could still feel that the doors were in deed quite heavy. After a few moments at this attempt, the doors finally began to open up, but instead of finding the nightmare which the unicorn was experiencing, black smoke came out and rushed right for her throat. This caught the princess by surprise, as she let out a restricted gasp as the smoke was beginning to constrict her more and more. But even through the excruciating pain, she could hear a scream. It was a loud, long blood curdling scream which she could not identify the words too that brought fear to Luna as tried desperately to escape the the grip of this dark smoked monster. An then popped into her head. Since this was a dark force, she would then fight fire with fire. Her horn began to glow, not the usual dark blue, but a dark black and green color and so did her eyes. The black and green aura then moved around the smoke and proceeded to eliminate the constricting force. As the the aura slowly destroyed the smoke, the smoke itself seem to howl in a hollow for of pain, giving Luna chills up and down her spine, but finally, after the battle, the smoke began to dissipate, and the gates to Lyra's nightmare closed.

"Be gone vile creature!" Luna exclaimed as she caught her breath once again. "I should go and tells this to my sister at once." she though to herself, but just as her horn began to glow with her advanced teleportation spell, she caught a glimpse of two neon green eyes that surrounded to devilishly red pupils. As Luna reappeared in the normal world, she was sent immediately flying towards the guard rail of the balcony, almost as if she had been thrown out by an aggressive force. She let a out a yelp as she tried to comprehend what had just recently happened in the dream realm. From inside the room, she could hear the unicorn awake in what could only be described as fear and panic and the Lyra gasped heavily. But by the time she looked out the window of her bedroom, the princess had already flown back to her castle in Canterlot.

"Are you feeling better sister?" A sweet and gentle voice called out from the open door of Luna bed chamber. She turned around to find her sister with a concerned, but caring smile. Luna had already told her sister of the event that had happened. Luna turned to face her sister who walked over to her with a concerned look on her face, "How is your injury?"

Luna looked at her bandaged shoulder. It was still a bit sore. The sheer force of getting ejected out of the dream realm and smashing into the guard rail had been just enough to cause her to dislocate her shoulder. She moved her shoulder in a circular motion. This action made her wince as it was still painful to move.

"It still hurts a bit, but that is my biggest bother at the moment." Luna said with a very serious tone of voice, "The gate that I tried to enter. It was... odd."

"How so?" Celestia questioned.

"The gate... it was made of black crystals. I now we have no reason I fearing HIM anymore, thanks to Twilight and her friends, but I felt as... inside this dream realm, his presence still felt strong. Alive. As if he lives within the young unicorns mind."

"Are you sure that it was HIM? It wasn't just a simple creation of her mind?"

"No. I feel that he is very much alive and we shouldn't disregard this event as an insignificant coincidence."

Celestia pondered her sister suggestion. The incident at the wedding of Princess Cadence and Shining Armor had made her a little more paranoid about taking action when necessary.

"So what do you propose?" Celestia questioned her troubled sister.

"I think we should bring her to Canterlot at once. If there really is a chance that HE lives with in her, or worse, if she begins to have the Memories, it would be best if we did a Connection Spell to make sure."

"Connection spells are a bit risky for the ones that have it inflicted on them, but if you truly believe that we must take these precautions, then I will head out to Ponyville myself to retrieve her."

Celestia gave a small nudge of comfort on her sisters neck before making her way out of Luna's bed chamber, and just as she entered the main hallway, she turned to look back at her sister who was staring out at the neutral sky, that had now, no moon, and no sun.

"Luna." Celestia asked her sister.

"Yes?"

"I cannot promise you that the act of bringing Lyra here will guarantee her sanity being completely intact after what we must do ... but we must insure the safety of the citizens of Equestria... for a brighter future." And with that, Celestia left Luna alone to ponder her thoughts... thoughts that brought uncertainty and fear to the alicorn conscience.

~~~

Lyra was awoken by a loud, but not bashing knock on the front door.

"Uuuhh..." Lyra groaned, holding her head in her hooves, now being host to another morning headache, "who would come knocking here this early in the morning."

The knocks became more repetitive now as she got out of bed and began a long lazy walk to the door. "I'm coming, I'm coming, keep you're cutie marks on!" Lyra exclaimed from half way down the stairs.The sun was still low enough that it only touched Lyra's hooves when she arrived at the second last step. A cyan green color began to glow around the door handle. She handle turned and she swung the door open, expecting to find somepony trying to sell her cheap merchandise for high prices or a group of young colts playing 'ding dong ditch'.

"I'm here, now what do you wan-" Lyra's sentence was cut short when she realised that she was facing the the ruler of Equestria herself. She bowed down as fast of she swung open the door, ashamed of her ill mannered behavior. "I'm so terribly sorry your highness!" Lyra exclaimed quickly.

"It's quite alright." Celestia said in her calm and soothing voice.

Lyra looked up to see that her princess didn't have her pair of usual guards with her. This was probably the first time that she had ever seen Princess Celestia without the protection of her guards.

"Pardon me princess, but if you don't mind me asking, where are your guards?" Lyra said, sounding a little timid.

"We shouldn't speak here. Do you mind if we go inside to talk?"

Lyra was a little shocked at the princess's response, but none the less, it would be rude to deny her request, "Of course."
She lead the princess inside. She had to duck down under the door frame because of her tall stature. They walked into the living room without speaking a word. Celestia looked around the living room. Her attention was then diverted toward a photograph of a young filly and here parents. Lyra turned to see what the princess.

"Um, princess... you wanted to speak to me?" Lyra asked after sitting down on the couch and waiting for Celestia to say what ever it was she had to say.

Celestia opened her eyes large and then began blinking rapidly, trying to snap herself out of what she was thinking of.

"Oh... um yes. Lyra, as you know, it is my duty to tend to all my subjects well being. But from what I had heard from my sister... you are not doing fine. Last night she tried to enter your dream but was unable to because she was violently attacked by a black cloud of smoke that seemed to guard the doors to you dream. Did something happen to you in your dream that was out of the ordinary?"

Lyra turn pale at the mention of the dream, or better to be described as a horrible nightmare, and looked down at the floor quickly, them back up at her guest.

"Y-yes. Something did happen last night," she said in a shaky voice," and I...I just don't know how to explain it."

"Just start from the begin." Celestia asked her in her calm voice.

Lyra took in a breath before looking up at the princess.

"Alright, it started out like this. I 'woke up' on strangely smooth by cold floor and I didn't know where I was. All around, as far as I could see there was fog, and the surface I was standing on was black as night, almost as it were made out of some sort of black crystal. I walked around for a bit to see if I could find an end to the surface so that I could 'fall to my death' and wake up but then, out of the fog, I was my father. I was so happy to see, even though it was still a dream, I missed him so very much. I called out to him, but he didn't respond. Then I noticed something about him was... different. He had wings!" Lyra began to pick up her speech pace as she began to shake a little while telling her story." But then, seconds later, the crystal surface split under him. Then a spire rose u-up and it-it." Lyra was unable to finish her sentence as tears began to form in her eyes and roll unto her cheeks.

Princess Celestia walked over and wrapped one of her wings around her.

"Shhh. Its alright, its alright..." Celestia said, comforting the poor mare while Lyra nuzzled her face into Celestia's side. "You don't to tell me anymore if you don't want to."

Lyra stayed like this for a few minutes before she snapped back to reality and looked up at her with a set of puffy red eyes.

" 'sniff' I'm ok." Lyra told her. "Well, after that, I ran over to him to try and help, but then a bunch of dark crystal spikes shot up from the ground and closed off every open space for me. Then the room began to fill with a thick black smoke which was choking my lungs everytime I took in a breath!" She looked over to the princess who was listening to her intently. "What do you think it means?"

The princess, who easily respond to any kind of problem, was in a state of shock, almost fear like, and didn't answer. It took a few minutes before she could truly respond.

"Lyra... I think there something that I should have told you long ago about your father and why he left the day you graduated from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns."

And with that, Celestia's horn began to glow as they were both enveloped by a golden light, and then vanished, leaving the room silent as it was before her arrival.

Author's Note:

(Unrelated story subject) : Big shoutout too New York city "Manehattan"! Probably the best trip I've ever been on! :D

Also, the chapters will largely vary in length if by the off chance I don't publish fast enough.

Comments ( 2 )

Sombra and Lyra in the same fic, have a :moustache:

>> Ancient Gecko: Thank you! :twilightsmile:

>> Vengeful Spirit: Thanks so much, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! And yes, it had been a while since I got back to the story itself so I kinda felt a bit "rushed" to finish in a proper time period. Thank you for the feed back though! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment