• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 3,685 Views, 102 Comments

The Frozen North - GjallarFox



The Frozen North. A beautiful yet unforgiving place. The perfect place to share warmth.

  • ...
4
 102
 3,685

Time (Epilogue)

Time (Epilogue)

A month had passed from our trip to the Frozen North, and we were just laying in the library, reading together. She was reading a rather large book, most likely containing hundreds of spells that she could master just by reading. I, however, was reading a famous novel about a Prench ex-convict that had been released, and hunted by one of the guards from prison. Of course, Twilight probably knew far more Prench than I did, but I knew enough for the book to make sense enough.

Silence was tangible in the library, our breathing and the occasional page turn being the only sounds that boomed in the otherwise mute library. Every so often, a whisper that sounded like a giggle tickled my ears, pulling my chin up to look at the only other living being in the library with me. But no evidence of her giggling was ever apparent, so I'd go back to reading.

"I'll be right back, Love," she whispered, setting her book down, cover-side up. She walked past me, disappearing behind a corner. Seeing my chance, I stood and crept over to her book.

As I lifted it, I saw a travel magazine hidden behind it. A stunning picture of deep indigo waters and pebbled beaches struck my eyes, capturing my attention. I looked up at the caption, engraving it into my mind:

La Côte d'Azure

But more prominent than the caption was the fact that it was circled in red ink more than twenty times consecutively, leaving a vortex of ink around the picture. Just below the circle, was inscribed:

SOON

Author's Note:

Your mind is now blown from the implications. And yes, if you're thinking what you should be thinking, then your mind is blown. If not, allow me to clarify.

SEA.
QUILL.

Take a wild gander at the title. :3

Shoutouts: Thank you Nightroad, for all of your compliments and constructive criticism. You help me grow.
Laarsgaard: The dude I show tidbits to. Basically, my bro and prereader.
Appledashfan132: Most avid follower of the story. Thank you so much for your reviews and comments. <3 You make me feel special.

Thus ends The Frozen North. I hope you've enjoyed it.

<3 DarqFox

Comments ( 31 )

implying implications are we?:unsuresweetie:

Welp...mind has officially been blown. Good on ya for keeping your promises :rainbowlaugh:

Oh snap! A sequel? :pinkiegasp: So much yes :3

Ooh! I was mentioned? Aww...DarqFox you big flatterer you :twilightsheepish: Twas my pleasure to read such beautifully crafted literature. Much luck for you and you can expect to see me in your sequel...as well as probably everything else you write :moustache: (creepiness not included, nor implied)

Mostly what i assumed this chapter would be since it was the only thing left that could blow my mind

YAY!!!!! MORE STORY?!??!?!!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?! YAY! hahahahaha, I was hoping! (I'm not wrong right?) Hahaha, I love this story so much ^.^ :pinkiehappy: I feel like doing Twilights yes dance! haha :twilightsmile: Ugh, you made my day Darq ^.^ *gasp* and I was mentioned O.o Oh now I feel honored... ^.^ yay ^.^

2643922
Well hot damn. I missed that. You get a moustache, and I get 30 lashes. :moustache:

<3 DarqFox

Darq, you know all of my electronics and interwebs have shat on me. well I found some and i thought this the best use of them because I wanted to finish this story. you have indeed blown my mind my good friend and to think you mentioned me, thank you, i am humbled good friend.:pinkiehappy:

How sweet. I rarely read shipping, but I'd have to say that Twilight and Fluttershy compliment each other's personalities very well. Or maybe it was you who made them compliment each other so well. There are a few errors here and there scattered throughout, but not large enough to detract from the story.

All in all, marvelous job, and hopefully the sequel is just as good, if not better.

2663095
Omai Luna. You just made my week! :yay:

Thank you very much for reading this, but you did mention some errors. Could you perhaps point a few out so I might prevent repeating them in the future?

<3 DarqFox

2663451
To be fair, they aren't really errors per se: most are simply words that have been repeated too frequently within the sentence or paragraph. I think I saw a misused comma somewhere, but I can't remember.

2718565
Successful heart-wrenching is successful. *puts wrench back in belt* That's why I'm The Engineer. :3

<3 DarqFox

Man, did I love this, steamy and suggestive while keeping it appropriate, as well as genuinely passionate and of course, adorable.:yay:

I also enjoyed the switching of narratives, and it emphasized why I think Twilight and Fluttershy are best for each other. Including the impression I always got that each would prefer a gentle, attentive lover.

I am a little confused as to whether Shining is really okay with this. I know Twilight is meant to misunderstand his silence, but I'm not sure if that was simply due to surprise, or if he was just clamming up for his wife's sake

"Sea Quill"? I'm afraid I don't...:rainbowhuh: Ohhhhhhhh :pinkiegasp:

Copy that, commander :twilightsmile:

This is a great story. That's all that needs to be said. The cutest, most adorable, and squee inducing story I have read in a while.

Two thumbs up!:moustache:

That was beautiful.

so you recomended i read this of your works dear author and before i comment i feel the need to state a few things of myself.
i am a voracious reader. i have been since i was four. i have in the last 2 months read 18 novels and over 100 fics while working 50 hour weeks.
no this is not an exaggeration. i read everything from shel siverstien to neil degrasse tyson.
your recommending this tale to me is perhaps the second best birthday present i have received in my 36 years.
( cue laughter at my age and love of ponies)
this was beautiful. upvote fav and follow dear author.
this..christ i have no words. keep being amazing.

2813758
Friend, age does not matter in the love of ponies. :3 And I'm very glad you liked it. As for the next recommendation, go read 'Time and Warmth' and prepare for heart-wrenching dark and depressing feels. I can write just about any kind of shipfic, from dark and depressing to straight-up adorable like this. I just write for the sake of writing. Besides. I got a new pen that makes it just that much more fun to write.

Thank you for stalking me. I hope to be worthy of your watchful eye.

<3 DarqFox

Another thing. Radiarc makes amazing music! thanks for sending me that way. If it wasn't for you, there is a good chance I wouldn't have discovered him.

2871721
LOLnope. Not in that time zone. But I'm awake at virtually all hours. Make a comment at some unGabeNly hour, and I'll respond within minutes.

<3 DarqFox

This story is incredibly sweet. And I liked the subtle plot reference of the "Prench novel" in the epilogue, too. Magnifique! :heart: :yay:

My poor head dude, you done gone and melted it. Well done sir.

3171134
Too sweet? Good.

<3 DarqFox

3179085
Keep going, friend. There is much more where that came from.

<3 DarqFox

Wait if you just blew my mind (and thus also blew my head off) how am i reading this or typing this for that matter?
Anyways the story in its hole was relay grate, i don't see a lot of authors write POV story's and when they do it's not all that good. But you somehow pulled it off with elegance and perfection.
Good job good sir/madam
~Tobben

I'm usually not much into first-person-perspective. It always feels a bit harder to follow, a bit slower to read through... can't really explain it. Then again, since I found one or two stories earlier that convinced me that not everything in first-person had to be more annoying than entertaining, I was willing to give this one a shot.
And I'm glad I did.
It's a really lovely tale and you captured their commitment quite well. Those scenery Twi took her to were stunning and beautifully described. Only two nitpicks I got:
I think it was the first chapter of Bloom when you experimented with the sudden change of perspective. Those hints you mentioned in the author notes were obvious enough to catch on fast, but I still felt better with the solution you preferred towards the end, giving a small sign for the change to happen.
And second thing, Twis rant towards Cadance and her brother. If it's something that hit her several times and she just so happens to snap at those of which she should know better, than this scene needs more build-up. Earlier mentioning of how their relationship was received. Some scraps here and there would've been enough. On the other hoof, if she really fears rejection - it's Twi we're talking about, the one pony that feared to be banished by her loving second mother/teacher -, than there doesn't essentially need to be more build-up, but more follow-up. The tension of that moment felt like it was released a bit to fast for a rant about something that... heavy of a topic.

The end wasn't mind-blowing, so... if I were you, I would try to hide somewhere where the maneless Celestia won't find you... heh, yeah, good luck with that one...
BUT, it was funny. I'm a bit ashamed actually that I needed the authors note to catch onto the grill-thingy again.

Oh and you were mentioning insecurity regarding the scenes where they were kissing and sharing more, uh, intimate moments? Don't be. As far as I'm concerned, everything went smooth and fine there... :twilightblush:

Thank you.

5399935

The end wasn't mind-blowing

To the avid followers of the story while it was updating, the ending was mind blowing because I basically told everyone that there would be a sequel to this story, which I'm working on at the moment. It wasn't about the "HOW DOES IT END‽ DO THEY END UP TOGETHER‽ DOES SOMEONE SWOOP IN AND KILL THEM‽" It was that solitary tease at a sequel that I was pointing out as mind blowing.

As for the nit-picking, tis all fine and dandy. Keep in mind though that this entire story was pretty much a giant experiment. I had no idea what I was doing for most of the piece, and that bit at the end with Shiny and Cadence was a brief moment of my really old bad habit of throwing in plot points that don't belong there with a distinct lack of build-up and/or follow-up showing. Terrible habit, still have it, but I'm getting better at making it work to my advantage. And with the bit about how I switched POV, that was also an experiment. I'm still not sure if I prefer it or the small signals, so I might toy with it again and see how it works for me.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my story!

<3 DarqFox

5399986
Nothing to thank for, really. :pinkiesmile:

Aw, and here I thought I could tease a little... the images of Celestia trying to hunt you down were really funny. :twilightsheepish: For an experiment, it turned out beautifully. Wait, that came out wrong. :facehoof: Uh... it was beautiful, even more so for an experiment? Ergh... I hope you somehow know what I meant to say...

5400159
First off,

For an experiment, it turned out beautiful.

It turned out beautifully. You cannot describe an action with an adjective. You need an adverb to do that.

But I know what you mean to say. Thank you much for the compliment. I'm rather proud of this story, though it's still not that great.

<3 DarqFox

5400228
Thank you. English isn't my native language, so I'm still trying to improve my skills.

Well, maybe I'll take a closer look at your other stories later. :pinkiesmile:

5400428
Aye, that's one of the big errors that even native English speakers miss a lot. I'm so used to calling people out on that one. Sorry. ^-^'

And as for my other stories, I recommend Blind. And avoid Ever Free. I have yet to go back and rewrite it, and it is total shit.

<3 DarqFox

I know this is an old story, but I am newer to this site and just came across your story. I was searching for TwiShy stories as I think they are the best match up (only competitor is TwiLuna) of the series. I loved the hint that possibly Cadence may have had some hand in what they were site-seeing, such as the red hearts. Also, the story was very romantic, even without clip. A good romance story does not have to have shut to make it good. Romance is foremost about love, the feelings each party has for one another. Sex is fine, but not mandatory. Your hot springs arc I believe was very exotic in its own way. I took the very much to heart as I once loved someone as Shy and Twily describe about their own love. She meant more to me than breath, but fate took her away from me in an automobile accident many years ago. People can fall in love more than once, but I believe you usually do not fall this deeply in love more than one time, just my thoughts though.
The only thing that I feel made the story difficult to follow was Twi's comments at the end. I don't remember anywhere prior in the story where it states they had problems, or if I missed it, it didn't explain how they came about, were their friends (other than Rarity) amongst the haters, what about Celestia and Luna, etc? So many unanswered questions in order to clarify things. Anyway, you've probably heard this already so you can ignore it and just remember the complimentary portion of my post! LOL

Login or register to comment