• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 3,249 Views, 105 Comments

Mare Do Well: As The Sky Falls - ShadeJak



Taking on the mantle of Mare Do Well, Rainbow Dash attempts to be a hero again, but finds herself in more then she bargained for when griffons attack Cloudsdale!

  • ...
2
 105
 3,249

Preparations

“Rainbow Dash? What in the world brings you here?” Rarity asked, finally finding the words to ask. Rainbow had never really came by without the others present, and given the athlete usually acting rather afraid of the place or anything feminine, the idea of her visiting the Carousel Boutique alone had seemed slim to none. Not that she minded the visit, but it was odd none the less.

“Ehh, didn’t have anything else going on, so I decided to drop by” The cyan pegasus said. Rarity just raised an eyebrow.

“Aren’t you usually asleep on one of those clouds when you have nothing else to do?” She inquired, suspicious. Rainbow Dash found herself trying to think of something else.

“Well yeah, but I was feeling way restless, like couldn’t get comfortable or anything, and this is clouds we’re talking about here!” Rainbow answered. “Pinkie’s got a huge order in the bakery, Applejack’s busy covering Big Mac’s harvesting since he’s got Pony Pox, Twi’s studying and you know how she gets when you disturb her then, and Fluttershy’s off relocating frogs, soooo yeah, kinda low on alternatives here, Rarity.”

“…So I was your last choice?”

Rainbow blushed heavily. Either she’d get caught making excuses to be there or concede to the claim she’d rather be anywhere BUT there.

“Okay, look, you know this frilly stuff isn’t my thing, but I’m just way bored and got time to kill before I pack for my trip to Cloudsdale.” Rainbow said, cautiously looking at Opal, who hissed at her but otherwise remained where she sat, Rarity paid it no notice, either too distracted or simply having become accustomed enough to ignore it. “Sorry, totally didn’t mean it like I don’t like hanging with you, any way I can make up for lost time?” She asked. Rainbow had a feeling where things would go, but she liked her reputation enough to leave Rarity to offer what she had in mind that, if she worked this right, she could ‘borrow’ the costume and sneak it out without any problems.

A wide grin formed on the unicorn’s face. “Well, I do have a few orders and plans I was going to pitch to Hoity Toity next time he comes by, and if the other girls are busy, I guess that leaves you as my only available model, darling!” She said. This had in fact been what the pegasus had in mind, but the mischievous gleam in Rarity’s eyes still sent a chill down her back. Rarity was certain to exploit the everloving Tartarus out of having somepony who normally shunned anything feminine as a dress-up doll.

“You sure about this, dear, you look positively pale.” Rarity said, trying her hardest not to hide amusement in her voice. “I mean, you could quit while you’re ahead…” She said, looking to the side wistfully. As expected, the pegasus athlete promptly took exception to her words.

“What? No way! I’m no quitter, I’m not scared to try on a few girly dresses!” Rainbow answered abruptly, then mentally wanted to slap herself for falling into that trap. Now was too late for any alternatives.

“Well then, if you’d be so kind, darling, follow me to the back and we can get started!” Rarity said, trotting to the back, her magic causing several necessary tools to follow. “Don’t worry, I won’t make you model where everypony can see you. I’m not THAT cruel.” She said with a smirk as Rainbow took to her wings and fluttered behind her in silent compliance.

About two hours later, Rainbow Dash stood on a platform in an elaborate blue dress that had made the one Rarity wore to the last Gala look simple in comparison. Her mane had been straightened out and a desperate attempt at a completely indifferent look was present on her face. She’d not seen herself in the mirror, as she doubted she’d live with something like that in her memory. “Rarity, this dress is a little… poofy isn’t it?” She asked.

“Hm, maybe you’re right, dear, or then again, maybe not! I still think it needs a bow on the back!” Rarity answered, causing Rainbow to flinch. “Just kidding. But there is something I just know is missing from this!” She said, eyeing the dress and its now-nervous occupant. “Let’s try another broach.” She finally said, looking at the nearby table and levitating a gemmed broach over and fastening it to Rainbow’s neck. The pegasus only gulped in response, causing the unicorn to smirk in amusement.

“Really, Rainbow, you clean up nicely. You should do it more often.” She said.

“I’ll keep that in mind...” Rainbow answered flatly.

“Now where did I put that silken sash…” Rarity mused, searching. At that moment Rainbow spotted a sash roll near her hoof and saw her opportunity, taking her hoof she tucked it under the many skirts of the dress she wore while the seamstress' back was turned.

“Dunno… maybe in one of the other rooms?” Rainbow asked with a grin.

“Well, I suppose it doesn’t hurt to look. Just stay right there!” With that, Rarity galloped out the door and headed off to search.

Yes! Rainbow thought to herself. Taking the sash back out and placing it on one of the tables, Rainbow flew over to the closet and flung it open, riffling through the many past projects that filled it.

“No. No. No. No…” Rainbow muttered, moving one thing after another. “No. Whoa, way to go Rarity…” She remarked as she pushed aside a rather form-fitting black dress. “No. No. YES!” She finally found the Mare Do Well costumes, removing the hats, she found one with a horn sleeve, moved the cape finding two without wings, then finally the one she wanted. Quickly removing it and tucking it under the skirts she had on, Rainbow hurriedly moved all the other things back into place and flew back to the platform she was on. About five agonizing minutes of standing around later, Rarity returned.

“Dreadfully sorry to keep you waiting Rainbow. I know how much you hate waiting but I had to—“ She noticed the silk roll hanging where Rainbow Dash had left it. “Oh my… allow me to apologize again.” She said, levitating the sash and returning to work.

About ten minutes later, Rainbow let out a sigh of relief when Rarity had finished.

“Well, I think that’s all I can do for this, I can’t thank you enough, Rainbow.”

“Uh, yeah… sure… no problem. Hey, look, I really need to get going now. Gotta pack and stuff!” Rainbow answered, her hooves tapping impatiently.

“Well at least let me help you get out of all that.” Rarity offered, doubting Rainbow would want to be seen in such a thing.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll just buy it and fly back home before anypony sees me!” Rainbow answered, trotting over to her saddlebag and yanking out a bag of bits. “That should cover it.” She said as the confused unicorn opened the bag and looked back at the pegasus.

“Darling, this is nearly twice as much as I’d charge you…” She answered.

“No sweat, call it a tip! I can be generous too, sometimes!” Rainbow said with a laugh, spreading out her wings and flying off at high speed before she could get an answer.

As Rainbow Dash flew off into the distance, Rarity shook her head and glanced back at Opal. “I think we may need to make an appointment with Twilight. It would seem Rainbow Dash has possibly lost her mind…” She mused, but then perked up again. “Well, silver lining, extra bits and enough designs to fill Hoity’s order!”

~

Back in the sanctity of her home, Rainbow Dash took several breaths and just stared in horror at her reflection. “I gotta change out of this. Like. NOW.” She said, removing the overly fancy dress as quickly as she could and after a brief struggle finally got it off and mussed her mane back to its usual wild style.

“The things I gotta do to become a superhero, Tank.” The pegasus said, snorting. “Speaking of!” She picked up the Mare Do Well costume and showed it to the tortoise. “So, shall I try it on?” She asked with a grin. Tank responded with a slow nod and watched his owner lay the costume out on her bed and set to work.

Standing in front of her mirror, Rainbow Dash smirked at her reflection and the sobering image dulled away the previous one where she’d been dolled up beyond belief. “Just one thing left…” Rainbow slid the mask and hat on, and with a quick straightening them out, the transformation was complete. The pegasus grinned beneath the mask and took a few poses.

“Tank, I feel, like, at least seventy percent more awesome now.” She said, her tone a little more giddy then she meant. Ironic, she thought, some time ago, she’d been wanting to get her hooves on Mare Do Well and put her in her place for showing her up, now she was wearing the costume and planning to pick up where the hero left off. Life sure took some weird turns sometimes.

After a few more poses, Rainbow noticed her empty suitcase and backpack. “Aw, Tartarus… forgot to pack.” With Cloudsdale drifting over Manehattan this time of year, she had a pretty long trip ahead of her tomorrow…