• Published 20th Nov 2011
  • 5,056 Views, 166 Comments

Facets and Flaws - Scarlett



Diamond Tiara is spoiled, Silver Spoon is sheltered, both have secrets, will friendship survive?

  • ...
2
 166
 5,056

Courage and Conflict

WARNING: This story will contain adult themes including homosexuality, gender dysphoria, and other controversial themes. I will be avoiding explicit sex, however if you are offended easily, please do not read.

Facets and Flaws

By: Scarlett

Chapter 5- Courage and Conflict

While she was happy that it provided a bit of a distraction from the frou frou nonsense that would otherwise be going on, Applebloom was a bit miffed that Diamond Tiara was taking center stage with her friends at the moment. Not only did she still not trust the filly, she also found her girly whining more than a bit annoying. The girl was starting to sound like Rarity of all people— and one Rarity at a time in Carousel Boutique was more than enough.

A few hours before midnight, just as they had planned, the Crusaders had gathered at the shop for make-overs courtesy of Rarity— so not Applebloom’s idea— only to find Diamond Tiara already there fussing and fretting while wrapped up in a Sweetie Belle hug, and Twist had immediately gone to add a comforting hoof. Applebloom had merely rolled her eyes, always more drama with that pony, but she had noticed Scootaloo tense up, and now she was sitting on one of the divan thingies (Why can't you just call a sofa a sofa?) glaring daggers at the girl. Now as annoyed as Applebloom was, that seemed a bit much, what was that about?

“Silver Spoon is going to be at the ball, how can I face her?” Diamond was complaining, with a look of near despair, (again just like Rarity minus her magical fainting couch.)

“Oh, stop yer fussin filly,” Applebloom had tried, “Whatever you did to her couldn’t be as bad as what you did tah all of us, an’ we done forgave yah. . . mostly,” she added the last after another glance at Scootaloo, who was softly punching one of the cushions on the couch she sat on with restrained anger.

"I-It is worse, she'll never forgive me," the pink pony whined even more, she was on the verge of tears yet again. Sweetie Belle and Twist both began to motion frantically for Applebloom to stop talking where Diamond couldn't see.

'Granny's hips,' cursed Applebloom silently, not tears again! That's not what she wanted at all she was just trying to calm her friend, 'Horsefeathers! Since when is Diamond Tiara a friend?'

"I didn't mean nothin' by it, I just— whats goin' on, exactly?" Applebloom walked closer and tried to look more concerned than irritated, and somehow actually succeeded, she was trying really.

Diamond Tiara was defensive however, "You cretin, you bumpkin! D-don't make me say it out loud," she moaned and began to lightly pummel Applebloom's shoulder.

"I-I-" began Applebloom at a complete loss.

"Everbody THTOP!" Twist interrupted, and to her pleasant surprise everyone did, causing her to blush, but it wasn't time to be shy, "So here is the deal, we are going to get these make-overs, Diamond Thiara everything is going to be fine, and you'll look so pretty, and then we will all be there for you when you try to make up with Silver, so you need to thop crying or your eyeth will get puffy. Applebloom, all she wants is thomepony to listen right now tho relax, okay? I know you were trying to help. Thweetie Belle, go talk to Thcootaloo before thee breakth thomething expenthive."

Twist had appeared more and more nervous as she neared the end of her— tirade? Had Twist just tiraded? Was "tiraded" a word? Applebloom wasn't sure, but she had noticed her friend's lisp disappear in intense concentration, and then reassert itself. And what did Sweetie Belle have to do with anything? Applebloom's head hurt— and come to think of it, so did her shoulder— stupid Diamond.

Diamond Tiara sniffled and wiped her face, letting her hooves fall from Applebloom's shoulder, she slowly composed herself, then gave Twist a smile and a hug.

"Colths only," came a very quiet whisper from the red-maned filly, and it wasn't long before Twist's cheeks started glowing to match her curls. She wasn't in any hurry to let go, Diamond needed her, but it was a bit embarrassing.

Applebloom approached the two. "Sorry, I think, but what did I do?" said Applebloom, still not at all sure what was happening, or had been happening since the moment she had walked in the door— the only reply was a fit of giggles from Diamond and Twist.

Diamond struggled with her pride for a moment, but she was able to apologise as well, "Sorry Applebloom, I shouldn't have said that— its all very personal, and I forgot you all were coming. Sweetie Belle has been, like, Celestia-sent, helping me to sort everything out, and I wasn't ready for everyone to know."

Applebloom scratched her forehead, "I still don't know— whatever I don't know, but Twist is right, we're there for yah, whatever it is, the ol' you wouldn' never have said sorry, so, yer okay by me."

Sweetie Belle had been in her thinking pose since her name was mentioned, but finally came to some sort of epiphany and interrupted.

"Where is Celestia going to send me? I don't wanna go to the moon!," Sweetie Belle's face held a look of abject horror for a moment, but she was quickly calmed, distracted, and steered in the direction of Scootaloo by a giggling Twist, "Huh?! Oh, Hi Scootaloo! Why the frowny face?"

Eventually Scootaloo lightened up, thrilling Sweetie Belle with a story of her awesomeness, but she still wasn't talking to Diamond at all.

Soon the other girls had remembered they had come here for things like make-up and pony-pedis, and Applebloom found herself in a chair facing Rarity and the dreaded make-over. This was it then. The End. She would be subjected to powders and creams, nail files and shampoos, and worst of all, the dress. Was there any way she could make this more bearable? There was one thing she had always wanted to try, but. . .

"Rarity, can you cut my hair short? Kinda Like Scootaloo's, or something?" Applebloom hoped the nervousness didn't show in her voice, Applejack was going to be sooooo mad.

****

Her eyes were lightly shut, and Scarlett was applying yet another layer of eyeshadow to Silver's eyelids to create the "smokey eyes" that were still so in fashion. Even though they would be mostly hidden by her mask most of the night, Scarlett had insisted it was a necessity, but it seemed to be taking forever. 'Regular eyeshadow would have been fine for the night,' Silver thought, but she did her best to resist the temptation to blink until finally Scarlett applied the sealer and said, "Finished."

She relaxed her eyes letting them flutter, adjusting to the light, and looked in the mirror, her rarely used contacts added a bit of sheen to her light purple eyes. They allowed her to see the results of Scarlett's labors; she looked perfect. Her friend had done a wonderful job, every color complimenting her fur-tone, and accentuating her best features. All of it was just right, and the tiny gemstones placed near her eyes were so cute. "Wow, I'm like beautiful, Scarlett thank you so much!"

"You always are," Scarlett giggled, "But I'm glad you like it, you look so pretty."

"It is amazing! I will have to keep myself from touching it all night though," Silver said, teasing "I'm so used to reaching up to adjust my glasses."

Scarlett pouted, "You ruin it and you owe me big-time."

"I'll do my best," Silver promised, and left the chair to give Scarlett a careful hug.

Glory Dancer smiled as she cleaned some powder off the counter, her own makeup was already done, a bit more conservative, but still elegant, it was her daughter's handiwork as well. The joy in her daughter's eyes as she prepared for tonight was threatening to spoil her mascara though. She had been so afraid for her this same time last year, and now she just felt pride and love.

****

Peppermint Twist was staying close to Diamond, who wore a fairly simple white jeweled mask with a sleek white dress of draped silk, her hair was done up in intricate braids behind the silver tiara that was her namesake. Twist was ostensibly there for support, but in actuality she was almost having to drag the other filly towards the evening's event, she could feel the tight nervousness of fear in Diamond even when she wasn't giving her a reassuring pat or nuzzle.

The rest of their little group had seemingly forgotten her distress already, Applebloom was still unmasked, playing with her new spiky hair-do, looking into the glass of each and every window along the way, she would smile for a moment or two, but then looking down at her dress and its ruffles she would grimace before turning away to catch up with the group. Sweetie Belle wore a butterfly mask, and was busy gawking at all of the mares and stallions as they passed through the streets, clad in their finery. Scootaloo's mask was a phoenix of reds, and yellows, and violets, her dress matching. Both dress and mask seemed to blend into her coat as if she was one of the rare beasts herself. She was the only other one paying any attention to Diamond, and the look in her eyes seemed to match the fierceness of her attire.

Twist adjusted her own "mask", she had quickly realized that she couldn't wear the one that Diamond had sent along with the dress, she hadn't been able to see a thing, and her family had never been able to afford contacts. She'd been a bit saddened at the prospect of having to go without, she stood out enough without being the only unmasked filly at the ball, but Diamond Tiara had noticed, even though Twist hadn't said a word. She had gone over to Rarity and whispered in her ear. With a shout of "Idea-a-a-a-ah!!!!" Rarity had gone to work, swiping Twist's glasses, and adding gems and feathers to match her dress.

The end result was something similar to Sweetie's, with green and black feathers forming the butterfly wings, and matching her green silk gown in the same pattern as Diamond's. She hadn't noticed that before, it had to have been a rush job- Diamond couldn't wear green with her coloring, so it couldn't have been intended for her, and then she ordered the same design for herself? That was a bit touching actually. Twist had thought it had been sent merely to buy her off on a whim, something Rarity already had done; but it was seeming more and more like Diamond's reform was something real. Even after their heart to heart in the kitchen, Twist still had doubts, but she was really starting to see a different side of Diamond.

As Diamond Tiara chose that moment to return one of Scootaloo's glares and stick out her tongue, Twist let out a small snort. She was still herself after all, just a bit nicer, more balanced, and likeable. A better Diamond, with a few of her flaws polished out, Twist grinned at her pun, and she gave the filly a friendly bump with her hip as they neared the stage where the night's festivities would begin.

She heard Diamond softly whisper as her gaze dropped to her hooves "Bump, Bump, Sugar lump—
Rump. . ."

"Oh no, I wasn't thinking-" Twist began fretfully, filled with compassion.

"No its okay, its just, like, a reminder of why I'm here tonight," Diamond Tiara interrupted with another smile, and gathered herself up to a regal stature, "I'll have you there for support, so everything will be totally fine."

"Yeah," Twist returned an even broader grin, "I'm here."

****

Gathering in front of the empty stage, the citizens of Ponyville waited in anticipation for the night to begin. Their conversations a dull roar in the night as they marveled at what they could see of the gardens and decorations which surrounded the town hall. Scarlett could see Twilight Sparkle up near the stage, she must have been one of the first ponies there. She didn't seem to have a date but was surrounded by a group of mares, was that Rarity?

She had pointed the librarian out to Silver, and told her about her day, but she seemed distracted, had she spotted Diamond already? Scarlett bit her lip gently, she had hoped Silver wouldn't see her til they were inside, so Scarlett could keep her there, the two needed to talk, but she knew Silver wasn't going to unless she didn't have any way to escape.

"Silver Spoon, are you okay?"

"What? Oh, yes, I am fine, I just like totally saw Twist and she has a nicer dress than I do, can you believe it, she is like, totally poor, how did she afford it? Can we just skip the speech or whatever? I want some punch," Silver Spoon lied, hiding the real reason her heart had just seemed to clench.

"Sure, I guess" Scarlett sighed, she'd been looking forward to the opening ceremony, but maybe they could find a spot she could hear from? "Let's go grab a table, but speaking of dresses, you haven't said a thing about mine yet, did you notice the ribbon?" Scarlett said, hungering for her friend's approval.

"Scarlett Dancer," Silver Spoon began sternly, but was smiling by the end, "You are totally cute, you know, on anyone else I think the dress would border on ridiculous but it really fits you well, that dark shiny blue suits you, and yes I noticed the ribbon matches my coat. Sooooo sappy, but thanks."

"Well you are sooooo my best friend, and what is wrong with a few ribbons and ruffles and bows?" asked Scarlett.

"A few?" Silver said with a roll of her eyes, guiding her friend past a planter full of daisies and other flowers, "Come on, lets go find that table."

****

After losing track of Silver Spoon in the crowd Diamond Tiara had sighed deeply, she wanted to get it all over with before she lost her nerve, or let her pride convince her otherwise. Now she would have to wait. After a glance at Twist and Sweetie for reassurance, she focused her attention on the stage as Mayor Mare approached the podium.

"A fond welcome to the Citizens of Ponyville, and all of our visitors, those who are here to perform, and those here to enjoy this night with us. Remember as you enjoy the dancing and food, the spectacles and illusions, and all the other entertainment, the reason we are here: To celebrate the Summer, and Celestia's grace in raising the sun the whole year round. Tonight we celebrate and show our gratitude before watching the dawn of the longest day of the year," the mayor donned her mask and cleared her throat.

"Tonight is masquerade, and we have many musicians playing throughout the gardens, as well as at both dance floors, One inside and one out, There are tables of food and refreshments all over, but most special of all, hidden throughout the garden are crystals which will trigger an illusion when touched. It might be a scene from history, or a foal's fairy tale. I would like to thank the mare who set up this entertainment at no charge as an apology to all of us in Ponyville. The last time she performed here, she stepped on a few hooves, but tonight we will be graced by the second ever Ponyville performance of The Great and Powerful Trixie. She will take the stage at three a.m. Other performances will appear on this stage throughout the night, everything from jugglers to— am I reading this right? A dancing bear? One moment. . ."

". . .Ah yes, a dancing bear, special thanks to Fluttershy there," the mayor continued earning a squeak from the audience where a certain yellow mare now hid behind Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, "The schedule is posted in many places, as is a map and other details of the nights festivities. If any younger foals become separated from their parents, they should be found in the play area which Berry Punch has been kind enough to run tonight along with a few volunteers. It is on the map. There are many others to thank, too many to name, so many have contributed. All that said; let the night begin! Welcome to the Summer Sun Celebration!"

"Party!" Shouted the pinkest of ponies as the night began.

****

As the crowd dispersed into the garden, heading for refreshments and dance floors, Applebloom noticed Pinkie Pie was still in the area instead of bouncing here and there as would be expected. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow seemed to be arguing, and Futtershy was stuck in the middle of it all, something she said made the other two stop, and all three exchanged awkward glances. Her hooves stopped moving towards the threesome, she wasn't about to interrupt that mess whatever it was, though at first she had meant to at least say hello.

She also noticed Twilight Sparkle, who stood on the edge of the stage, and seemed to be scanning the crowd for somepony. Applebloom sighed, she had her own friends and all, but the older mares were all like family to her, like older siblings, aunts, or cousins, they had always been there. On the other hoof, she was actually somewhat glad she didn't see her true sister or Rarity anywhere, as much as she had hoped for a hug and smile from the rest of them, she wasn't looking forward to Applejack's reaction to her haircut— and when she found out she had left out a few details to get Rarity to do it, things were not going to go well. Still, she felt a grin tugging at the edge of her lips as she again teased her new spiky style with her right hoof.

Not far away, Sweetie Belle was skipping in excited circles, causing the rest of the Crusaders to giggle; they had been talking amongst themselves while Applebloom was in her own little world, but eventually, somepony bumped her shoulder, "Hey bumpkin?" asked Diamond Tiara.

"Yeah?. . . hey! Don' call me that!" Applebloom replied, at first too distracted to notice the insult.

"Only kidding, so what do you want to do first, eat? Dance?" Diamond asked in a friendly tone, "Or should we find a mirror so you can keep admiring yourself?"

Applebloom gave the filly a glare, "I dunno, what you askin' me for?"

"Well, you're the leader aren't you?" asked Diamond with a giggle.

"No way, I'm the leader!" Scootaloo puffed out her chest as she said her first words to Diamond all night,"and I say we go eat."

"Nuh uh, you are not, I wanna dance!" said Sweetie Belle.

"Am too,"

"Nuh uh,"

"Uh huh, I'm at least twenty percent cooler than any of you so that makes it true,"

"Well Ah'm the strongest!"

"I'm the fantasticalist!"

"That isn't a word."

"Is so."

The three original Crusaders quickly devolved into petty bickering, though in their masks and gowns it didn't become as physical a battle as it normally would have. Diamond snickered rolling her eyes at the chaos.

Twist groaned, "Did you have to, really?" she asked Diamond.

"Hey, I was just trying to tease Applebloom a little, they've been doing this for years without my help. Remember the second grade field trip and what we found out afterwords?"

". . .True," Twist admitted with a sigh, "and they'll be at it all night now."

"Oh I don't know, they always seem to get distracted soon enough, in fact—" Diamond paused with an evil smile, "Do you all remember hearing about those crystals?"

The bickering stopped almost instantly, the three girls looked at Diamond Tiara in surprise, then back at each other, and with a nod they shouted, "CRUSADER CRYSTAL FINDERS, YAY!"

****

Silver Spoon and Scarlett had ended up at a small table in the garden, not far from the stage so Scarlett had been able to hear the mayor, but it was hidden back in its own little corner with only a few other tables around it, the whole area surrounded by ivy covered trellises. Two of the tables were completely empty at the moment, and another was a banquet table.

At the table furthest back sat the largest stallion Scarlett had ever seen wearing a black bow tie and a simple black eye mask. Despite his red coat, he somehow managed to blush as he shared a plate of fruit and chocolate with the classy yellow mare across from him. Scarlett had to contain her squeals of delight as she watched the two flirt a bit awkwardly, the mare was having to lead her shy stallion along, it was so cute. Silver Spoon kept hitting her in the arm and hissing, "Don't stare, you are sooo embarrassing."

"But they're adorable."

"They are totally going to notice you," said Silver.

"She will maybe, but that stallion is entranced by her," Scarlett replied.

"I think I'm a bit entranced by him, look at those muscles," Silver Spoon whispered breathily.

"Ummm, yeah?" Scarlett gave a non-committal reply and a sheepish smile, before turning things back on Silver "Now who is staring Spoon?"

". . . Right, we should probably go, leave them alone and all," Silver giggled after one last longing glance at Big Mac, then turned back to her friend, "I saw your eyes light up when they mentioned those crystals, did you want to-"

"-Yes!" Scarlett interrupted with glee.

Silver laughed as her friend started bouncing like a foal, "Well, come on then."

****

Snails had told Snips he would be right back minutes ago, but he was still pacing back and forth gathering his courage, his idol was just across the way with her friends, all he had to do was go over and ask. He had started over once—

—and halfway to his goal he lost courage. He played it off, walking past the three mares, he could hear them arguing about something, the yellow mare and Pinkie Pie both were trying to calm Rainbow Dash, telling her it wasn't her fault, but she wasn't really listening, instead she was busy ranting and there were tears running down her cheeks. Tears? Rainbow Dash, crying?

The thought put steel in the young colt's spine, and he changed his course. Rainbow had calmed slightly as he reached the group of mares, but she was trying to pull away from the other two. Was this the best time to ask? Or the worst?

Now or never Snails, the colt cleared his throat, "M-miss Rainbow Dash, would you do me the honor of a dance?"

The three looked at the intruder incredulously, but after a flash of jealousy in the eyes of the Elements of Kindness and Laughter they both softened. Rainbow herself was standing with mouth agape in surprise. The young but earnest colt was dressed in a tux which had been wonderfully pressed, and as they watched he had pulled a rose out seemingly from nowhere, a wonderful show of slight of hoof; Snails himself was simply relieved he had pulled it off, Snips had shown him the trick so many times before he got it right; He was a bit of a klutz and his part in the routine tended to be more comedy than magic.

The two mares behind Rainbow whispered softly, "That is so cute," and somehow the tension that had existed between all three of them seemed to vanish.

"Jinx!" said Pinkie Pie, snorting, while holding in laughter with both fore-hooves, while Fluttershy blushed and let out a small squeak. Snails head began to droop as the seconds passed without response from his hero.

"Kid," Rainbow Dash finally began, "I'm impressed, that took guts, but I'm not sure—"

"Go ahead Rainbow," said Fluttershy, ending in a whisper, "Omigosh that was so assertive."

With a gasp, Pinkie spoke, "Fluttershy, no fair, you broke the jinx! But, Dashie, she is right, it looks like he's worked really hard," Pinkie said in her usual chipper manner, but then with a blush and an uncharacteristic whisper,"Fluttershy and I should talk anyhow."

Rainbow extended a hoof in the direction of the two, and had opened her mouth to speak, but let it fall in the end in silence. She nodded slightly and turned to Snails, "Well kid, I'm not gonna lie to yah, I'm kind of into mares, specifically. . . those two," She gave both of them a meaningful glance, "but I can give you a dance, maybe its just what I need right now, clear my head and all."

"Th-thats so awesome!" Snails answered excitedly, as his eyes widened in surprise. The colt grinned ear to ear as he extended a fore-leg to escort Rainbow to the dance floor.

****

Snips waited, and waited some more, where was that colt? He took the opportunity to ask a filly or two to dance, but so far he had been turned down every time. It wasn't as if there were many colts his age there, he had to find somepony who would say yes eventually, right? Snips sighed, moving away from the dance-floor, he wandered aimlessly, even Snails had abandoned him tonight.

As he walked, he found himself behind the stage, looking at a remarkably familiar stage-coach, his breath caught in his throat, could it be?

He took a few steps forward, how could he be sure? Light was streaming through the curtain in the window, he had grown some, since their first encounter years ago, but he was still short, and a bit dumpy, he couldn't see.

He heard voices though, from inside, the first was calm and measured, it seemed to be restraining emotion, "Trixie wants to be here with you, she has more than enough money, but she does not do this for the money, she feels a need to perform."

It was her! The mare of his dreams, Trixie. She was really here, she really would perform tonight.

"Trixie, can't we compromise, couldn't you stay here most of the year? I know you love what you do, but you don't need to travel town to town anymore." It was a mare's voice, she was speaking loudly and frantically, what was going on? Snips realized he was spying, but he couldn't make himself leave.

"Trixie would be. . . I want to make this work, but I would be gone at least three months out of the year, to keep my following at the casinos, and I would need to do a few special events like this one throughout the year. Is that enough for you?" The voice was definitely Trixie, who was she talking to?

"Would you really be able to? If we. . . adopt a foal, its a big challenge, they need stability, but if you do your casino show in the summer, it would work, I think."

"Twilight Sparkle, I came back for you, because I love you. I was scared to change, and I was clinging to what I've always known. I've already thought this through and even if I had to give it up I. . ." Snips heard Trixie take a deep breath, and when she spoke next he could her voice was choked with tears, ". . .I would, but please don't ask me to."

Twilight Sparkle— Trixie loved her. Snips felt the first sparks of jealousy begin to smolder in his heart, he finally turned away from the window, he looked out into the darkness of Ponyville in one direction, and the bright lights of the party in the other, and he closed his eyes and began to run.

He wasn't sure which direction his hooves were taking him, until he felt Snail's hoof on his shoulder, "What's wrong?"

****

The girls had all been excited when they had found their first crystal, and all the Crusaders had watched enraptured as the story of "Princess Celestia and the Dragon" played out before their eyes. The illusions were much stronger than they had been during Trixie's first appearance in Ponyville, and the real world had seemed to disappear as the fillies were drawn into the story.

As the story neared its end, and the Princess had defeated the dragon, showing it mercy, Applebloom noticed something which seemed to break the enchantment for her at least; she blinked and looked around, what was that sound?

She began to wander towards the sweet music she was hearing, and found it, just around a small hedge. A grey earth mare was playing some sort of stringed instrument, her eyes closed, she was as lost and enraptured in her own music as the filly's friends were in the magic.

Applebloom was in awe as the mare worked the strings of her instrument, producing the sweetest sounds Applebloom had ever heard, and she was surprised to see that the only thing the black-maned filly wore, was a simple, if pink, bow-tie, and a white collar. "Fillies can do that!?" she exclaimed in shock and wonder.

Her outburst broke the mare's concentration, though she did not miss a beat, her eyes shot open and she smiled at the young girl, not quite sure what she had meant, she played the song to its conclusion.

"Ma'am, can I ask you a question?" Applebloom asked as the last note died.

The elegant mare chuckled, "You just did, dear filly, but go ahead."

"Can a filly, err a mare, really wear a bow-tie like that instead of frilly dresses?"

"Ahhh, let me guess, you have a bossy mother?"

"Sister."

The musician laughed again, clear like a bell, "Well, I think, you should be and dress as you like, I don't let anypony tell me different."

Applebloom smiled and nodded, "Well thanks, yah don't have an extra bow-tie do yah?" She frowned as the musician shook her head no, "Err thanks, Miss. . . ummm" she paused in her progress back around the corner.

"Octavia."

"You sure play purdy," Applebloom waved and passed out of sight leaving a giggling mare behind her.

****

The illusion had ended a short time ago, and as Applebloom came back to the courtyard all her friends appeared to be looking for her, she could see the relief in their eyes as she came into view.

"There you are! Why'd you run off?" asked Scootaloo.

"We were worried!" called Sweetie Belle, a quaver in her voice, and Scootaloo moved close to comfort her.

"Hey, I was alright, jus' a little bored, don't ya'll worry 'bout me none," Applebloom said, a bit embarrassed as a few of the girls came to give her a quick hug, including Diamond, which surprised Applebloom, leaving her really flustered, "Enough of that, let's go find another crystal."

Scootaloo still hadn't forgotten their earlier argument, "I'll lead!" she called out and started for one of the paths out of the clearing, but she didn't get far at all before she was stopped in her tracks by two fillies entering from the opposite direction.

Diamond Tiara gasped as she dug in her hooves, having followed only a few steps behind Scootaloo, and nearly running into Silver Spoon and Scarlett herself. Silver Spoon's eyes had flared in shock and she tried to turn and run, but Scarlett stepped in front of her.

"What are you doing? Let me out!" Silver Spoon shouted at her friend in fear.

"Spoon. . . you miss her, you should. . ." Scarlett whispered softly.

"I have nothing to say to that FILLY-FOOLER!" came the answering shout, and the slur hung heavy in the air.