• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 21,624 Views, 683 Comments

Between Day and Night - Davesknd



Twilight is called back to Canterlot to spend some time with the princesses

  • ...
32
 683
 21,624

Phase Three

Consciousness slowly slithered its way into Twilight’s head. Like a snake it slithered through her body, flicked its forked tongue a few times against her still sleeping brain and finally coiled around the unicorn’s senses.

It was completely dark and Twilight was hot! She was prone on her side, her head on something rather firm, long and warm. Something slightly softer, warm and heaving pressing against her back and another of those warm and firm tubes was going over her shoulder.

Twilight’s eyes shot open!

The Princess was cradling her in her forelegs, gently holding her against her chest.

The room was silent except for the soft ticking of a clock and two ponies gently breathing.

Twilight’s eyes slowly drifted half closed.

The size difference made her feel a little like Smarty Pants must have felt when she was a little filly. If Smarty Pants was stuffed with unbridled happiness and close to bursting from it.

The princess had discarded her regalia, shoes and crown before going to sleep, removing any cold barrier between her and the unicorn. And it was magnificent. Twilight could feel Celestia’s heart beat in the back of her head.

“This place must be the safest place in the whole world...” the unicorn mumbled and turned her head slightly, watching out to not stab her beloved mentor. With a little magic, Twilight illuminated the area in a soft purple glow.

She caught a glimpse of the clock on the wall. 2 o’clock. No rush to get up. The light dimmed, faded and the unicorn relaxed.

And tensed up again.

Suddenly Twilight realized why she woke up in the first place. The tea of yesterday evening had gone the way of every digested liquid and was waiting for its last journey.

The lavender pony grumbled slightly and tried to wriggle out of the monarchs grasp. Now the princess grumbled very elegantly and Twilight was firmly squeezed against a white chest.

The unicorn let out a sigh and wondered for a second if there was a spell to remove her problem. Maybe if she installed a pocket dimension into her bladder?

No, there was no way around it. Twilight had to leave Celestia’s embrace.

Her horn flickered with magic and with a flash, Twilight appeared next to the bed. She heard the princess shift and mutter behind herself.

Just as the slight tingle of magic dissipated, she shivered. The coldness of the night attacked her warmth spoiled skin. Quickly, the lavender mare summoned a little light and made her way to the bathroom.

Shortly thereafter, a relieved Twilight returned, horn illuminating her path, ready to...

Twilight froze in front of the bed.

Illuminated by her horn, she could see the sleeping form of Celestia. The light was soft, only allowing Twilight to see the silhouette of the princess’ curved body beneath the thin blanket. The princess chest rose slightly with every breath, her mane almost still next to the peaceful expression, Twilight could barely make out on her face.

Even in deep slumber, Celestia was breathtakingly beautiful. Twilight felt her heart smashing against her ribs and throat, as if it wanted to force its way out, while the memory of Celestia’s embrace was still fresh around her shoulders and made her shiver.

She wanted back! Back into those strong forelegs. Back into that safety. Feel the strength of a goddess around her and feel... loved?

Was this it?

Did all those years of diligence and hard work, the attempts to get the princess to approve of her friends, the wish to spend the gala with the princess... did it all lead to this?

Did she... want the princess to... feel for her?

No!

Did she want the princess to feel for her the way she felt for the princess?

Twilight felt herself tremble. She had seen through the Changeling queen. She knew when to trust her instincts and she knew a truth when she saw one in front of her. Those little dreams she sometimes had, which she had brushed off as silly mislead affection. The fact that she couldn’t stop smiling whenever they shared a room. All the things she felt during the last hours...

It led only to one conclusion.

She couldn’t help but see it right in front of her.

Sadly, there was something else, she could see right now:

*She latched onto you, like you sometime do to your pillow. You felt like your doll? She is one who is asleep. You can crawl back into her forelegs, but it will be pretending.*

Slowly, Twilight’s head sunk and the light from her horn started to fade.

*Just like Smarty Pants, you can snuggle against her and pretend, but she can’t love you back!*
A tear rolled down her cheek.

“It’s worse...” the unicorn whispered, suppressing a sob “She could. But she won’t.”

The bed and the princess slowly faded from Twilight’s vision as her horn lost its glow.

She wanted back!

Roughly, the unicorn turned around, tears slowly dropping from her eyes.

It was wrong!

Being bold when snuggling next to Celestia was one thing, but she would not force herself onto her sleeping friend.

*The couch is fine...* Twilight told herself, slowly walking away from the bed.

“Now, that is cheating.”

The unicorn froze. Slowly the rest of the room illuminated in a soft yellow light.

“Princess, did I wake you up?” Twilight asked softly, turning around. She had to admit, even after just waking up, Celestia was still extremely elegant. Her horn glowed in a soft light and her eyes were half shut.

“Don’t worry, Twilight, you didn’t.” Celestia said in a soft voice and blinked a few times. Suddenly the tears on Twilight’s face caught her eyes and worry invaded her features. “Twilight, is something wrong?” *Did go too far?*

“No... I just... I was feeling guilty about Spike!” Twilight lied “I was really worried when I left and I haven’t sent him any message that everything is fine.”

“I’m sure that Spike is fine, Twilight.” The princess answered gently “You know how he is.”

“Probably laughing about how I overreacted and having a good nap.” The unicorn nodded, glad that the princess fell for it. Not that she didn’t feel a little guilty about her dragon companion.

Celestia nodded and extended her wing, lifting the blanket. “Come back to bed... It’s still hours before we have to get up.”
Twilight hesitated for a moment, but finally gave in. The princess was inviting her after all.

“If you really don’t want to... I don’t mind if you sleep somewhere else.” Celestia offered, hoping that Twilight wouldn’t hear the hint of disappointment in her voice.

“No... I was just thinking.” Twilight answered while slipping back under the blankets. “You said that I didn’t wake you up.”

“Yes.” The sun princess answered.

“Then why were you awake?” Twilight inquired.

Celestia seemed to begin with her usual gentle demeanour, but stopped herself before words left her mouth.
“During Luna’s banishment, I had to keep the moon going at night. I was not sure how it would behave, so I used to sleep for an hour at a time, wake up and check on it. At least until I was completely sure.” She explained with a hint of sadness.

Twilight looked up at the huge pony next to her. It was already too dark to read her expression. “Sound terribly straining.”
Twilight said in a soft voice “Why do you still wake up?”

“Because every time I woke up, I looked outside and saw my sister’s visage on the moon.” Celestia’s voice explained from the darkness.

“You have been tormenting yourself.” Twilight whispered.

The darkness remained silent.

The lavender unicorn bit her lip for a second and decided.

“I am your friend, Celestia.” She said decisively and rubbed the side of her temple against the princess neck “If there is weight on your heart, I will be here for you, just like you have always been here for me.”

As soon as those words were spoken, Twilight felt her cheeks flush.

The hubris!

How could she be thinking that Celestia would come to her to ease the millennia of sorrow she accumulated?
Twilight was about to apologise, when she felt the warmth of a gentle nuzzling.

“I guess, I should have read the report you sent me on Applejack a bit more careful...” Celestia said softly, keeping her muzzle close to her student.

“The one about accepting help from others or about two ponies becoming friends without regards of circumstance?” Twilight asked with a weak smile and a huge blush on her face. She could feel warmth radiate off Celestia’s face in the darkness right in front of her.
If she leaned just a little closer, she could steal a... steal a...

A chuckle interrupted her trail of thought. “I was not thinking about the second one, but both are fitting.”

Twilight banished the thought. Celestia needed a friend right now.
“I am glad.” The unicorn said softly and snuggled against the princess.

“But let’s rest for tonight...” The princess offered and rested her head on the bed.

Twilight kept close contact to her mentor and relaxed as well.

*Maybe my place is not in her arms... but it is by her side...* She closed her eyes *I can be happy with that.*
Sleep came soon thereafter.

-

Twilight awoke.
She was still in the bed of the princess, inside of a half-lit, royal bedchamber. It was seconds before sunrise.
Currently, she was alone.

Twilight shook her head and got up, feeling that her mane was a complete mess, just like every morning. Her gaze drifted through the room. The princess’ regalia and golden horseshoes caught her eyes. They were still where Celestia had left them before going to bed. Even her crown was still there. Only the sunglasses were missing.

The unicorn took a few steps and looked towards the balcony.
The alicorn was outside, sitting on her haunch and looking away from the castle, her horn glowing golden as the sun slowly made its way over the mountains she was facing.
Twilight squinted a little until her eyes adapted to the brightness.
Even without the Summer Sun Celebration’s pomp and bravo, the raising of the sun was a view to behold.
Not only from an aesthetic point of view. Raising the sun and setting its course was an act of power and elegance that Twilight could hardly grasp. She was not even sure if it was a “spell” and not an inherit power of the princess. Sometimes she wondered how it was done before Celestia... if there actually was a “before Celestia”. Some history books contradicted each other.

For the time being, the unicorn enjoyed the view. Celestia’s room had a wonderful view, the rising sun tinged everything in a golden light and the princess herself was a wonderful cherry on top this feast for the eyes.

As the sun was on its course, the alicorn turned, just to see her smiling pupil through her sunglasses.
“Good morning, Twilight. I’m sorry, did I wake you up?”

“You do every day, prin... Celestia.” Twilight answered sheepishly.

“That is your fault; you know... you stopped the alternative.” Celestia stated playfully.

“I curse myself every morning...” the unicorn answered in mock-regret.

Celestia walked over to her student and ran a pristine, white hoof through a messy purple mane.

“Did you sleep well?” she asked cheerfully.

“Very, thank you.” Twilight answered. Her slumber was deep; the time she spent awake was the troubling part. “Did you get some rest too?”

“I still woke up, but I had a nice reminder of how nice sleep can be right next to me.” Celestia allowed herself to grin and closed in on Twilight “You snore, my dear.”

Twilight’s cheeks responded with a pink tint. “I’m sorry, I...”

“Oh, Twilight, it’s not as if you blackened the sky or anything. You have a rather cute snore. Very soft and melodic... almost soothing.” Celestia teased.

“Heh... I spent some time falling asleep in libraries... Had to keep it low.” the unicorn admitted and mentally added *Usually due to exhaustion during studies.*

“Dusty old books...” Celestia added with a wink “How about we freshen up and have breakfast. I feel quite hungry. We only had a snack for dinner yesterday.”

The unicorn nodded with a smile. The princess was right about her feeling hungry. She offered Celestia to wait while the princess was showering and found herself alone, sitting on the bed.

Thoughts of yesterday night crept into her head.

A part of her was arguing that she was just a tad repressed and projecting her needs at the next best god-princess of ponydom, she happened to have snuggled with yesterday evening.

Or maybe this was a quiet father-complex or she spent too much time with her brother, when growing up? What did Sattlemund Freud write again? Maybe she was just jumping at the longest and most dominating horn she could find!

WHAT HAD HER PARENTS DONE TO HER?

Twilight sighed... the argument her brain was making seemed coherent, but there was one counter argument, her heart kept making:
She enjoyed being WITH the princess.
Not just looking at her, being close to her, snuggling or touching her.

She liked to talk to Celestia, have fun together or just share a pretty view in silence.
This wasn’t shallow attraction anymore.

Twilight rolled her eyes and looked down at her chest. “Wonderful timing, Twi.” She mumbled “Can’t you realize your emotions at some other time? Like a few minutes before leaving? Then you wouldn’t have to walk around with this... feelings for the rest of your visit. At least I can still formulate coherent thoughts, unlike Spike. Then again, I am more cerebral than him and better at keeping it together, right Twi?” she turned towards the mirror on the dressing table “You can rely on yourself not doing crazy stuff, like talking to yourself!”

The Twilight in the mirror gave a supportive nod.

The next question entered Twilight’s mind. *Do I tell her?*

“It would be the honest thing to do!” the mirror pony suggested.

“Yes, but it would make things so awkward! Yesterday the prin... Celestia offered her friendship to me. It would look as if I took things too far... again! Like with the tardy friendship report or when I tried to stop time!”

“Hmm... And I thought Rarity was a drama queen...”

“Don’t go snarky on me, mirror-me!” Twilight hissed. She blinked twice and realized what exactly she had been doing. “Oh. My. Gee! Not again!”

The unicorn took a deep breath and tried to focus.

“I will not tell her! At least not until I am completely and utterly sure that this is more than a silly crush or a fabrication of my psyche. The princess wants to spend time with her student and friend! She shall have a nice vacation! I will not make that time awkward for her!” The lavender mare decided and her image gave her a smile.

“I DID IT AGAIN!” she wailed.

Frantically, Twilight looked around. She needed to distract herself, or her nerves would force her to leave the palace in a straight jacket.

A quill and paper on a lector caught her eyes. Writing a letter to Spike, would be a good distraction. The unicorn left the bed and began to write on an empty scroll:

Dear Spike
I just wanted to tell you that everything is all right.
The princess has decided to take a short vacation and invited me to join her. I am not sure how long I will remain in Canterlot, but you can always reach me by sending a letter to her. I don’t have to tell you what to do. If you can take care of your phoenix, so you should have no troubles with the library.
And please inform our friends as well.
In case they ask, of course!
DO NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO ANNOY RARITY!
Your friend
Twilight Sparkle
PS.: I am serious about not annoying Rarity!

Just as Twilight finished with the scroll, the bathroom door behind her opened. Celestia emerged, clad in a white morning gown and followed by a fragrant cloud of steam.

The slight film of moisture made the princess shimmer in the sunlight and Twilight had to sort her thoughts before talking.
“I took the liberty of writing a letter to Spike.” She explained after re-hinging her jaw “Would you be so kind and send it?”

“Of course, Twilight.” Celestia answered and grasped the scroll in her magic.

Twilight realized something and her eyes went wide: This would be the first time she would see the princess send a letter to Spike. She had seen her receive letters, when Spike was busy during private lessons, but never send! Eagerness crept into her features, as her little scientist got an imaginary clipboard ready.

“Could you turn around, my dear?” Celestia asked innocently.

“What? Why?” Twilight replied deflated.

“Oh, it is just that the bond through Spike’s fire is very personal and I feel more at ease when I call upon it without being watched.” The princess explained.

Twilight hung her head in disappointment and turned around. And she was so interested!

The bit dropped.

“You are messing with me, aren’t you?”

“I have taught you well.” Celestia answered through a few giggles.

Twilight turned again and gave the princess a pout, leading to even more giggles.

“You can be so cute, Twilight.” Celestia said and closed in to give Twilight a hug.

“No hug!” Twilight responded firmly and took a step back.

The princess stopped dead in her tracks and the letter hit the ground silently. If the unicorn had looked deflated, the princess looked as if she had just tasted absolute vacuum. Her eyes went to the floor for a moment and back to Twilight again.

Twilight was able to keep her demeanour, but she had to hide how deeply this view shocked her. Only once had she seen Celestia in such a state before: Right after her loss to the Changeling queen channelling the power of true love.

“Now you are messing with me...” Celestia offered... no... pleaded?

“Oh, yes!” answered, her smile only becoming real as the princess smiled as well.

She closed in and embraced the alicorn, enjoying the damp warmth and the smell of expensive shampoo.

“Let me rephrase my statement: I taught you too well.” The princess whispered with a smile.

They broke the embrace and Celestia picked up the scroll again.

“I fear this will bore you...” she admitted.

The light around the scroll intensified. The paper seemed to warm up and suddenly burst into a green flame. Unlike with Spike, it left no puff of smoke that blew away, but completely combusted.

Twilight was still impressed. She could ignite candles, but applying exactly the right amount of energy to completely combust a whole piece of paper was not easy. And she had seen the moment in which Celestia had added a different kind of magic. All in all: a spell that needed much practice.

“Why don’t you write down what you want for breakfast? I’ll have it ordered while you freshen up. There are towels in the wardrobe and a toothbrush for you.”

Twilight nodded and gave Celestia a smile before going into the bath.

As warm water hit her coat, the unicorn relaxed. But one thing remained in the back of her head.
*I can make her unhappy!*

The lavender mare levitated a shampoo bottle over and started massaging the liquid into her mane.

*Not just fail her. Not just disappoint her and make her put me back a grade... I can hurt her.*

She swallowed.
Being Celestia’s student was packed with responsibility. Being her friend would add even more.
But then again: If her brother managed to MARRY a princess, she could befriend one!
“My family really has its way with royalty...” she said with a sigh, switched off the shower. After making herself presentable, the unicorn left the bath.

“You look good, Twilight.” A cheerful voice sounded from the vanity. Celestia had put on her regalia, crown and horseshoes. “Spike just replied to your letter.”

“Oh, that was quick.” The unicorn answered surprised.

A letter, held in a golden glow, levitated over to her.

Twilight squinted at the paper. Why was it so hard to read?

“Dear Twilight
Yeah, Yeah, I’ll run everything. No problem for your Number One Assistant!
Told Ya, by the way! If there was a second Changeling invasion, we would have heard of it. You worry too much.
So far, I told Applejack, who came by after fetching her cousin from the train station. You know: the one we met during before the summer sun celebration, Red Russet... or Red Baron? I’m not sure which one. Apparently he is paying the family a surprise visit.
And I told Rarity. And before you scold me: I did not go and annoy her! She paid the library a visit! She even borrowed a book, I think!
Oh, and Pinkie knows... don’t ask me how or why!
Anyways: Have a nice stay at the prinecssesses... with Celestia and Luna.
Yours
Spike”

“Spike needs to watch out with his writing. It’s not like him to smear the ink.” Twilight mumbled and rubbed her eyes.

“Still sleepy?” Celestia teased gently “You need a good coffee. Shall we head out for breakfast?

Twilight shook her head once and nodded.

Strange, now the letter was easy to read.

The unicorn discarded the thought and followed the princess outside.

-
Authors Note:
In case my beloved readers wonder why I took so long with this installment, let me explain: This Chapter was a Nightmare to write!
Just like the mother with a horrible taste for names yelled at some point: "My Short Story isn't so small anymore!"
The first draft was twice as long and included several sub-plots... then I sat down and started thinking where this story should actually go. And I already have one dragon in my archive, growing fat and fatter under it's own greed.
Since I don't want my ambition to go out of hand and I rewrote it... about 4 times.
Am I happy with this chapter?
Meh...
It has exactly the amount of fluff, jokes and plot I need... but I had to cut a lot.