• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 21,622 Views, 683 Comments

Between Day and Night - Davesknd



Twilight is called back to Canterlot to spend some time with the princesses

  • ...
32
 683
 21,622

Phase Nine

Two cups of tea were stood opposing each other on a large coffee table, separated by a vast variety of cakes, cookies and other sorts of delicious pastries.
They had been placed there by careful and professional hooves, ensuring they gave a perfect picture of relaxation and perfection.
But over time, one cup had begun to move ever so slightly.
It had ventured past the carefully erected barriers, ignored the depths to the side and slowly approached its distant equal.
It had ventured closer and closer and finally, the saucers had met with a soft clink and the cups were together.
At exactly this point, Celestia let the metaphor fall apart and put her wing lovingly over Twilight Sparkle, who was finally snuggling against her.

“Is something wrong with the tea?” Twilight asked softly, while rubbing her back against the soft and perfectly preened dream of sheer white and warmth that was Celestia’s wing.

“Just a silly thought, my dear…” Celestia answered with a slight shake of her head and sigh.
Tea, free time, Twilight… free time to have tea with Twilight!
Was there anything better in the world? The sun princess closed her eyes and just let herself enjoy the moment. The feeling of a loved one close and the wonderful smell of tea and pastry around her. Truly a perfect moment. It would warm her for thousands of cold nights to come.
Twilight, too, closed her eyes and pressed into her lover. And pressed against something hard.

Darn regalia!

Not wanting to disturb her lover’s quiet reverie, Twilight pushed her head back and caught a full face of softly flowing mane.
And while the gentle texture, dreamlike smell and poetry, that was the colour of the mane made her heart beat faster, it was not what she wanted right now.
The smaller pony stretched her neck to finally reach the back of Celestia’s neck.
Now she simply had to find the clip -or whatever held the thing in place- and she would be able to attack the nape of her titanic mentor’s neck for massive cuddliness!
Twilight’s eyes wandered over the huge, metal piece of jewelry
.
There was no clip, opening or even any kind of visible mark that it was not one big ring.
Then how did Celestia get it off? It did not fit over her head!
The unicorn blinked a few times.

“Twilight, should I be worried about what you are doing back there?” Celestia asked, not moving a muscle. Still, she sounded amused.

Twilight let out a soft grumble. “Your necklace is in the way…” she muttered “I always bang my head against it when I cuddle against you. And my hair gets stuck.”

Celestia’s chest began to tremble and she let out a series of soft chuckles.

Twilight pouted.

Celestia looked at her and her heart melted.
Twilight pouting was the most adorable thing known to ponydom. So sweet, it could probably give even the worst monsters in Tartarus diabetes. And it earned Twilight a series of soft smooches on the cheek, which made saidcheeks burn.
“I’m sorry, Twilight…” Celestia giggled, gently nuzzling the flustered mare “I am simply so used to them, I forget how cumbersome they can be.”

Twilight gave her a questioning look. “You forget them?” she banged a hoof against the metal in question. “You have a ring of what seems to be solid gold with a giant rock in the front around your neck and you FORGET about it?”

“It is solid gold, dear.” Celestia giggled “Do you expect the royal regalia to be fake?”

“If I had to carry that, I would be dragging it around at best.” Twilight sighed and shook her head.

Celestia smirked a bit. “I have to admit, this is an area where I can’t point to an obvious strength of yours and explain how equal we are in the matter. I suggest that you don’t challenge me to any hoofwrestling contests in the near future.”

Her horn sprayed magic and the metal removed itself from the royal neck in a bright flash.

Twilight jumped greedily.

At the necklace.

Her magic engulfed it, taking measure of how heavy it felt, of the texture of the metal and the magical properties of the jewel in the front.
Her curiosity fueled, she began guessing the spell Celestia used to remove and place it, how old it was and who had crafted it. It was good craftsponyship, that was sure. How much history had this piece of metal seen? How many deeds had been signed or battles fought by a Celestia wearing this item?

Celestia, meanwhile, suppressed a chuckle at her beloved’s enthusiasm.
Twilight’s will to learn and experience was alive and well. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but for a pony, it could open worlds.
Sweet nostalgia overcame the sun regent.
Of times when she would set a few objects before her pupil and watch happily as she studied and explored them with her incredible mind and attention. Of happiness over every new discovery and furious thought over every obstacle.
But even sweet nostalgia could not compare to the sheer joy of being in love with the wonderful mare Twilight had become.
It was at this wonderful moment that a dreadful noise tore Celestia from her musing.

A knocking on the door.

Celestia quickly removed her wing from Twilight and let out a disappointed sight.
Luckily, Twilight was busy spinning the regalia in her magic at this point and hardly noticed the wing leaving her withers.

“Yes?” Celestia called out, deciding that sitting close to Twilight was not exactly a faux pas. Especially before the servants or the guard. They were used to seeing the unicorn around Celestia with things to study in her magical grasp.
The door opened and a white pegasus guard entered slowly.

“Phalanx!” Celestia said kindly. Not only was the pegasus one of her personal honour guard, he was also one of the ponies she had true pride in. Simply said, The pegasus was Wonderbolt material. But he had refused the call two times, because he believed that serving Celestia in person was his true calling.
Though Celestia did believe that it had also to do with the fact that his marefriend was one of her personal maids and potentially would sneak off and enjoy a kiss or two during the coffee break.
“Princess! I am sorry to disturb your holiday!” Phalanx said calmly and stepped closer “But I have a letter for Lady Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia nodded softly. “As you can see, Phalanx, Lady Twilight Sparkle is currently busy with an experiment.” She looked at Twilight again, who was slowly snapping out of her science-trance. As her eyes returned to the guard, the princess couldn't help but supress a giggle. “Are you blushing, my staunch defender?”

“Erm…” Phalanx mumbled and looked away.

“Is it… Goodness, Phalanx, you have seen me without my regalia!” Celestia laughed.

This tore Twilight from her studies. She shot Phalanx a glare that loudly demanded “WHENWHEREANDWHYYOUSCUM?”

“Yes, Princess, but the last time, you had at least a scarf on… and all we saw of you was hidden under a blanket, an ice pack-“

“-Or oozing unsavory fluids from every possible orifice…” Celestia said and shook her head “Worst sniffles in a century.”

“You had us all very worried, princess.” Phalanx admitted shyly.

“Thank you, Phalanx.” Celestia answered with an honest smile, one that made Twilight’s heart skip a beat. She was truly grateful for his concern. “Now, about that letter?”

“Oh, yes, of course!” the guard stammered, grabbing a letter from his armour.

Twilight put the regalia aside , reaching out to the paper in her magic.

“The sender asked for an answer ASAP.” Phalanx added “Should I stay close by to deliver?”

“Be so kind. We will ask for you as soon as Twilight has read it.”

With that, Phalanx saluted and left the room.
“Your parent’s, I assume.” Celestia said gently, onceTwilight had opened the letter and was reading.

“Yes.” Twilight answered and swallowed “Oh! Mom wrote it. DARN! I completely forgot about that!”

“Forgot about what?”

“The two wanted to visit the Crystal Empire this week. They are going the day after tomorrow morning” She let the letter float lower, “Celestia, they invited us for today. Mom says that they need the whole of tomorrow for packing and preparing. But she is all prepared to cook for tomorrowin advance, so she can make a dinner for five.”

Celestia ignored the slight comment about her fuel consume. But not out of politeness. Her features were freezing.

“Celestia?” Twilight asked with a tad of worry “Are you all right? You seem a little paler than usual.”

The sun princess flashed an awkward smile and got up. “To be quite honest, I was hoping to have a bit more time to mentally prepare for this.” She admitted in a soft, slightly quivering voice.

Twilight blinked, opening her mouth in surprise. “Are you… worried?”

“No, Twilight.” Celestia answered, her wings twitching slightly “No, I am not worried. To be frank, I am scared.”

SCARED?” Twilight roared in disbelief “Of mom and dad? You? The princess of the sun? The one who defeated Discord, Sombra, Nightmare Moon! YOU are scared of my mom and dad?”

Celestia sighed and gave Twilight a crestfallen smile. “You did the same… and still, you were scared of my rejection.”

Twilight opened her mouth, but a raised hoof from Celestia stopped her. “Write them that I will be happy to visit them today. Seven would be a good time, right?” she paused, adding softly “That should give me some time to groom myself and come up with… something.”

And so, while Twilight began writing a polite and happy answer to her parents about how their house would soon be graced by the monarch of Equestria, said monarch walked over to her vanity and levitated an army of brushes, lotions and other utensils out of the drawers.
The letter was just done when the brushes landed on the bed in a perfect formation next to several maxi-size portions of beauty products and a selection of instruments that were as much supposed to serve a mare’s complexion as to torture prisoners.
Twilight was somewhere between laughing, shaking her head and bashing it against the wall.

Why in the name of Luna was CELESTIA OF EQUESTRIA worried about what HER PARENTS thought of her?

“Erm… I’m done…” said the perplexed unicorn. Celestia almost tore the letter from her magical grip. The mask of calm composure reformed on her face and she opened the door.

“Phalanx! Ah, there you are! Two things: Deliver this letter to Twilight Velvet and Nightlight, as hasty as you may! And while you are at it, I will be dining with them this evening at seven.”

Phalanx nodded. “Understood, Princess! I will inform the cooks, the honour guard will be on stand-by with a chariot and Princess Luna will receive a notice. Shall I inform the food tasters?”

“Can you remember the last time somepony tried to poison me?” Celestia asked with a chuckle.

“According to the records, you ate half a pound of arsenic and flushed it down with enough nightshade essence to kill a regular-sized elephant.” Phalanx answered neutrally.

“Oh, so it's half a pound these days?” the sun princess chuckled “Gets more every generation. Now be so kind and inform everyone.”

After a salute, Phalanx disappeared in a cloud of dust.
As if the slamming door had caught it between frame and door, Celetia’s mask of calmness shattered, honest-to-Luna panic invading her features.

“Oh, goodness, I have to get ready!” she muttered beginning to hover the brushes in strange dance around her. Sometimes flashing closer to run through her coat and smoothen an imperfection or straighten some hair. Celestia quickly removed her crown, and began to move the brush to her mane and tail, all while her lips formed silent words, as if talking to someone.

Twilight had to fight to keep her eyes in her head.

“Celestia?” she asked carefully. As she approached she had to dodge a suddenly coming bottle of lotion. “What is wrong with you?”

“Nothing is *wrong*, Twilight!” The mass centre of a small solar system of brushes answered nervously “Just that I haven’t asked for the hoof of a pony in AGES and now I have to go and ask your parents with less than three hours to prepare… darn, I should take a shower!”

Twilight slowly and incredulously shook her head. She knew that expression on Celestia’s face all too well. She had seen it in the mirror on the day the solar monarch had visited her and her friends for brunch in Ponyville. “Celestia.” Twilight said a bit more firmly stepping closer.
She was ignored. Celestia’s breathing had sped up and she was looking ahead unfocused . The beings before her inner eye had taken her full attention now.

“CELESTIA!” Twilight yelled and as if to punctuate her yell, all the brushes fell to the ground.

Celestia stood there, taking deep breaths and looking at Twilight with wide eyes.

The smaller pony stepped closer and put a hoof on Celestia’s knee. “They will love you…” she said slowly, looking deeply in her lover’s eyes.

“I… I know that they do.” Celestia muttered slowly “They love their princess, Celestia, who gives them every morning and rules over all her little ponies…” She slowly averted her gaze “But will they love the Celestia that stole their daughter’s heart, turned her towards mares and robbed them of a grandchild through you?”

Twilight paused for a moment. She knew that her parents would. That they only cared about Twilight finding happiness and joy in her life. But that was not the issue here. “It has happened before, right?” she asked slowly.

“Some parents did not like the idea of being robbed of an heir…” she admitted slowly, her face scrunching up.

“What happened?”

“I was younger, Twilight… so much younger.” Celestia answered through gritted teeth and closed her eyes. Memories of necessary deeds assaulted her mind.

Bribes, favours, shady agreements and a lifetime of denied feelings and regrets. “It can be surprising how quickly one can fall from beloved ruler to terrible, foal-napping monstrosity that only founded the school for gifted unicorns so she had a buffet for her… disgusting, deviant tendencies.”

The words hit Twilight like an anvil would. The moment when Celestia had first showed her how to use dark magic flashed before her inner eye. Was this why it seemed that she had so little trouble with it? Because she had so many years of sorrow at her disposal?

“Not that he ever went there…” Celestia added grimly, “But the more to blackmail me with, the better.”

Twilight bit her lip, nodded some courage to herself and reared back to embrace Celestia tightly. Her forelegs hugged the guilt-ridden pony's bare neck tightly and she pressed her cheek against her beloved. “I’m here, love.” She said softly, hugging her tighter “I told you: If you feel bad, I’ll be here for you. I know that is not much, but if I can comfort you, I will!”

Celestia wrapped her forelegs around the smaller pony and pulled her as close as possible. The soft breathing and slowly quickening heartbeat she felt beneath Twilight’s coat scared the memories away. She relaxed taking a deep breath. “Thank you, my dear.”

“I know, I’m not the element of loyalty, but I swear, as long as I am here, you will never go through something like that.” Twilight muttered firmly “Because anyone who will want to hurt you will have to go through me first!” She took a page out of Iron Will’s book “And I pity the fool!”

A chuckle left Celestia’s lips, and she nuzzled her purple necklace gently. “Seeing how protective of me you can be, I do too.”

Twilight sighed. It would be so much easier, if she could just tell the world that she was with Celestia. And then yell several threats including her magic and how easily one could find themselves in a house filled with poison joke, timberwolves and maybe a hydra or two.
Her princess would not have to worry about being blackmailed for her choice of partners ever again. And maybe it would ease that darn jealousy as well. Darn secrecy.

“I should probably take a quick shower…” Celestia said and tore Twilight from her musings.

The unicorn nodded and let go of her lover. “But don’t worry about what my parents will think!” she stressed with a reassuring smile “Just be yourself and they are bound to love you more than they could ever love the Princess Celestia, they believe to know.”

An honest smile began to spread over the princess’ face. “That was one of the most beautiful compliments, I have ever received…” She gave Twilight a soft kiss on the cheek. “Thank you!”

Twilight smiled back at her.

“So… do you want to join me in the shower?”

Twilight looked at her in red, blushing terror.

Celestia let out a chuckle. “Gotcha!”

She took a step backwards, turned, and walked towards the bathroom. Twilight was sure she put an extra sway in her step. Otherwise her eyes wouldn’t be glued to those full, toned, alabaster… erm… wings!
The unicorn let out a loud sigh.
Emotional rollercoaster did not suffice to describe a relationship with the alicorn. It was more an emotional hot air balloon ride. There were no rails, the wind could change at the drop of a hat and when you were going down you could only throw stuff overboard, pull the cord like crazy and hope that the thing inflates again… But once you were on the top… goodness, it was wonderful.
The sound of running water disturbed Twilight’s musing and she turned around. What should she do now?

Investigate Luna?

Doubtful that the moon princess would allow herself any kind of mistake after she had questioned her earlier.

Find out if the followers knew something?

No, they were loyal to Luna and had no incentive to talk to Twilight. Heck, they probably didn't like her on the basis that she had helped to defeat Nightmare Moon. And maybe also because she had suggested to dissect one of them.

“But I can tap into her line!” She decided finally. “All I have to do is find a book that has a non-psychosis-induced-version of what I did already. Maybe for a portable mirror.”
With a determined grin, Twilight rushed out of the royal chambers.
Her goal was her former favourite place in the world, before Celestia’s embrace had taken the spot and put a claim on it: the Castle library.
Her gallop only took a few moments. As usual, it was empty. Not many ponies had free access to this room. While the books in here did not hold nearly as sensitive information as the ones closed off in the wings of the royal library, this smaller reading room was in the parts of the castle that were only frequented by guards, maids, princesses and V.I.P.D.s (Very important ponies and dragons).
As Twilight entered the huge room with the big hourglass in the middle, a wave of nostalgia overcame her.
Here she had first learned levitation, here she had first heard of Starswirl the Bearded and here was the place where she had spent that fateful day with Spike, finding out about Nightmare Moon.
How fitting that she would find a way to beat her again in this very location!

“Now, if I was a non-tree-based librarian, where would I put the spells about mirrors?” Twilight wondered aloud. “Under M. maybe!”

It didn’t take long until she came across a huge, blue book, labelled “Mystical Mirror Magic”. With an eager grin, Twilight grabbed it in her magical grasp and nodded to herself. She could take this to Celestia’s room, study the spell and soon, she would have tabs on whatever Luna was sending out of the castle.


“This will do wonders in helping me mercilessly invade other ponies privacy!” Twilight said to herself. There are no rules in love or war, and she was currently engaged in both. Eagerly, she turned towards the exit.

The sound of wood scraping over wood caught her attention.

Someone else was in here!

In the side booth, with the little lectors!

“Who could that be?” Twilight wondered quietly, making her way towards the booth. The librarian never stayed this long, and who else would be here? “Hello?”

With a bit of focus, she magically grabbed the door and slowly opened it.

Her eyes went wide.

Then her cheeks turned red.

Inside the booth were two ponies.
Well, the two coat colours and four eyes suggested that it was two, but the lines were blurry.
At least Twilight knew now that Luna’s minions were busy. Because there was no way anypony could plot a coup when entangled like that. Or do basic math. Or keep any higher brain functions going.
Not that the two were pushing the rating. The midnight blue, bat-winged pegasus was still clad in her full armour, and what Twilight could see of the other pony was either hidden behind the wings, pressed against a bookcase in the back or embracing the former happily.
But they were smart to close the door behind them. A prudish pony would find the two making out furiously in a public library rather unruly.

Twilight was a prudish pony.

But the true shock came from the fact that they had not even noticed her or the lector they had tipped over. The two were too busy enjoying themselves and each other to realize that someone had opened their door.

Twilight slowly took a step back.
She wanted to look away. She wanted to say something. She wanted to gallop off.

But she couldn’t.
For some reason, her eyes were glued to the two ponies kissing, holding and rubbing against each other.
And every second that she stood there, she felt a fire burn in her chest.

She knew that flame.

It burned green and viciously.
Using all her willpower, Twilight turned around and trotted out of the library, still unnoticed by the two love-birds.
As soon as she had escaped the allure of watching two strangers kiss salaciously in a crammed space, Twilight let out a soft groan.
She could still feel the emerald flame of jealousy bite and scorch on her heart.
The unicorn took a deep breath and tried to smother the feeling, but she couldn’t help it.
Why could those two do such things? Why could they sneak into a library and make out? Why could they hold hooves, lie together in a park or do all those other things that happy couples do?

Why could they?

All while she and Celestia could not?
It wasn’t even that Twilight wanted to make out with Celestia in a booth in the library. Well, at least, not right now. But how could they truly enjoy their love for one another if they had to watch each other’s backs all the time?

“It isn’t fair!” Twilight muttered and dropped her head.

*Life rarely is!* The voice of Celestia echoed in her head.

Twilight bit her lip, her eyes burning. Was this how it would be? Would this be the relationship she had not even dared to dream of? A series of short, if happy, moments, wrapped up in a thousand lies, worries and uncertainties? Feeling tears slowly fill her eyes, Twilight reached up to rub them and accidentally dropped the book. It landed before her and opened, revealing a beautiful,little graphic, centered by a small, metal mirror.
The unicorn beheld her reflection. Slowly, she felt another emotion emerge the sea of her soul.

“NO!” Twilight growled, stomping her hoof down. Determination invaded her features and she nodded grimly to her reflection.

She was Twilight Sparkle.

The unicorn with the highest magical potential ever witnessed by Celestia. The pony that helped bring the royal sisters back together. The vanquisher of an Ursa Minor. And the fifth placed in the Running of the Leaves!
Oh, and that changeling thing, too…

“I have to change this!” she muttered to herself. “Not just for me, but for Celestia! Even when I pass on, my princess deserves to love freely! And who could possibly change the world if not Twilight Sparkle? Starting tomorrow, I will do everything in my power to give Celestia the chance to be happy without being forced to hide it!”
She nodded to herself one more time and picked up the book in her magic.
“But all I can do right now is getting ready and hope that my princess does not explode until we tell mom and dad…” She looked in the mirror one last time. A smile formed on her lips. “Hey, mirror-Twilight.” She said softly “Thank you…”

---

The carriage had left the cobblestone of Canterlot’s main streets and ascended into the sky above the city.
Twilight looked down.
Many ponies were stopping and waving as the royal chariot made its way through the evening sky, pulled by two Pegasus guards and protected by two more honour guards to each side.
There were only a few sunbeams left, but it was good enough an excuse for the Princess to wear her sunglasses.
Nostalgia hit the unicorn.
Not too long ago, she had been one of those ponies below, looking up at a distant princess she could only dream of.
Dream of incorrectly, that was.
She had never imagined that the wonderful Princess Celestia could be such a powder keg of worries and uncertainties.
At least when it came to her love life.
Celestia hid her worries well, though. As soon as the guards had shown up, the worries had gone and the perfectly calm pleasantness of Princess Celestia had returned.
Not too long ago, the act had been as relaxing and calming for Twilight as it had been to all others, but now, it felt off. The real Celestia was not a pony of contentment, but a mare of passion. She was happy, sad, eager and worried.

“Say, Celestia…” Twilight said slowly, hoping she could distract her lover a little. “Are you really that poison resistant?”

“Already tired of me?” Celestia giggled softly and gave Twilight a grin.

Twilight showed her tongue.

“Sorry, Twilight I had to.” The sun princess said with a headshake “But no, I am not immune to poison. I simply have much higher resistances than the average pony.” She paused for a second. “Or Manticore. But I can tell you: I have had terrible stomach-aches after a meal with arsenic. But eating it in front of my assassin and giving all nobles in the room a broad smile did help in the long run.”

“And you made sure to keep the rumour up...” Twilight muttered slowly.

“Either that or a real food taster… and I don’t like the idea of somepony getting poisoned in my place.” Celestia answered calmly.

“But you have a food taster!” Twilight interrupted.

“Have you ever seen him?”

The unicorn paused for a moment and went through her memories. “Erm… no? But Phalanx offered to fetch him.”

“Phalanx would call for a pony that would never come. I use the spot as an anonymous position to funnel some money to charity. Just like with the deathspony, the court jester, the hay-staler-“

“Hay-staler?”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Back in the… less civilized times, it was common that the head torturer or the deathspony was given a bucked of stale hay a day as payment.” She explained “And at some point, some unicorn noble suddenly feared that the servants would screw up and give away hay that was not truly stale and disgusting. Therefore, the minor title of hay-staler was created. A pony that had to try the hay reserved for the deathspony and ensure that it was truly stale.”

Twilight blinked. “Wow… the middle ages sucked!”

Celestia looked over her glasses. “You tell me? You were not around when we had no water closets, Miss Sparkle! Reality is: Princess Platinum used a bucket and a window!”

And relieved laughter filled the air over Canterlot.

---

They had made it to the porch of no return, and Twilight could feel herself getting slightly nervous as well.
One did not come into your parents' home with a lover more than twice your size and feel completely at ease. But it was probably just a shadow of what Celestia was going through.
Phalanx of the pegasus guards had already marched ahead and knocked. Seconds later, the front door had opened and the smiling faces of Nightlight and Twilight Velvet had appeared, which made Twilight even more nervous.
The unicorn forced a smile onto her face, and together with Celestia, she approached her loving family.
They knelt before the Princess and stayed down until the two guests were inside and the door was closed.

Then the shame began!
“Twily!” Velvet said happily embracing he daughter tightly. She pushed one of those horribly humiliating kisses only a mother could give, onto her cheek. “Have you gotten thinner? Does Spike cook you enough?” she added after letting go of her daughter and leaving a huge blush on her face. “I tell you, if he is on some healthy-cooking thing again, you can just write me a letter and I will pay you a visit.”

Nightlight was slightly less embarrassing, giving her a fatherly hug. “You look good, dear.” He added.

“Miss Velvet, Mister Nightlight.” Celestia chimed in, after the family greeting rituals were done with. “It is a joy to see you again.”

*Blatant lie* Twilight remarked mentally.

“It is always a pleasure and an honour to have you in our modest home, your highness!” Velvet answered with a bow.

“Please, no more bowing.” Celestia requested with a smile.

“Of course, your majesty!” Velvet answered, blushing softly. She turned to Nightlight. “Say, dear, could you show our guests the dining room and set everything up? I’ll be with you in a-“

“I AM IN LOVE WITH CELESTIA!” Twilight spouted loudly.

Three wide, shocked pairs of eyes were on her.

Twilight looked up to Celestia, seeing how her lips formed something like “What the…”

“I’m not gonna watch you be worried and nervous during the entire dinner!” Twilight said firmly and stepped closer to Celestia. “Mom, Dad. I am in love with Celestia and I have admitted my feelings to her today. And she said yes. We are a couple now!”

Celestia cleared her throat and quickly nodded, her mask gone and forgotten. “Erm… yes, we are.” Celestia bowed deeply. “Twilight Velvet, Nightlight, I hereby ask for the permission to woo your daughter. The pony I love more than anything in the world.”

A thump rang through the hallway. Searching for the source of the sound, Twilight noticed with a start that her mother had fainted

Nightlight, still aware of his surroundings began to grin, then to shake, then at last he jumped, pumping both hooves in the air. “YES! BOTH OF THEM!” As he landed, he grabbed his only partially conscious wife and began twirling around wildly. “HEAR THAT, LOVE? WE ARE THE BEST PARENTS EVER! BOTH OUR KIDS GOT THEMSELVES PRINCESSES! WE ROCK!”

Twilight meanwhile began to blush more and more.

After yet another twirl, Nightlight looked his limp wife in the eyes. “And you were worried about today being bad news!” he said with a maniacal laugh “Two out of two! Darn, if we made another one, it would probably score Luna!”

Twilight face-hooved, terribly reminded where the honest enthusiasm that Celestia loved so much originated.

“Princess, Twily!” Nightlight announced once Velvet had recovered well enough to stand by herself again. “I am happy to hear that you have found each other, and you are more than free to love each other and be happy as you wish to be!”

This time, Twilight simply smiled, relieved at her father’s words. She looked up at Celstia, curious how the princess had taken the reaction.
She had never seen the princess’ face so scrunched up.
“Celest-“ Was all she managed to say, before the dam broke and Celestia let out a torrent of laughter. Holding her belly, the alicorn that reigned the sun keeled over, still giggling and laughing loudly.
“Wonderful, dad. I think you broke the princess.” Twilight sighed, relieved that Celestia was at least enjoying herself.

“Quid pro quo, young lady.” Nightlight countered with a smirk and pointed at his slowly recovering wife. “Just look what you did to your mother!”

“I missed you, dad…”

“So did I, Twily.”

It took a soft slap on a white royal shoulder and a white commoner's rear by their respective dark partners to get the two collapsed mares out of their distinctive stupors and assemble everyone in the dining room.
Twilight had to admit that her parents handled the whole things with incredible calm and professionalism. At least, now, after her father got his outbreak out of his system.
Then again, they had some experience with a certain pink foalsitter.
A huge, perfectly arranged ratatouille was divided among the ponies and soon, the silence that could only be created by chewing mouths fell over the table.

It was only after all plates had been cleaned to a mirror shine, that Twilight Sparkle raised her voice.
“Mom, Dad, I’m grateful that you are supportive of me being with Celestia.” She said smiling.

“Nothing to be grateful about, dear.” Velvet answered with a smile “You are our daughter, and we are happy when you are happy.” She paused for a moment “To be frank, I had a feeling that if you ever fell in love with someone, it would be princess Celestia.”

Twilight felt herself blush a little as she overheard the chuckle from Celestia.

“Yes, Twily, you did worry us from time to time…” Nightlight added, levitating the plates away. “For a while, we were worried that you were simply not into love.”

“We did some research on asexual tendencies and the like.” Velvet added thoughtfully “Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you know… we were worried at the time.”

“And then your mother got caught up on it and I had to sneak food into the library, because she would not stop reading.” Nightlight snickered and began to carrying the plates out of the room.

“Don’t blame me for these things being so interesting!” Velvet proclaimed towards the kitchen.
Celestia could not help but let out a soft chuckle at both, Twilight’s parents antics and her beloved’s crimson cheeks.
Genetics know no mercy.

Author's Note:

Edited for errors and mistake by That creepy bunny cat thing

So please direct all complaints, threats and spent grief seeds to him.

As for the chapter:
This chapter has been "prepared" for almost two years now and it was the reason why I went a bit overly annoyed by people complaining that "the relationship is not fine" and "secrecy is unhealthy for new lovers". Here is the point: I agree! Now let those two find out and make it better as well.
Anyways, enjoy and maybe write me a comment.