• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 458 Views, 0 Comments

Myths of the Night - VelasBane



An ancient evil returns to Equestria, seeking to reclaim his lost power and plunge the lands into darkness eternal.

  • ...
 0
 458

A Princess Reclaimed

Though Luna was stunned by the appearance of the alicorn before her, Celestia seemed as calm as could be. The blue coated stallion was larger than even Celestia; he was a huge, well-muscled brute with thick legs, a broad chest, and hefty wings. His eyes were a bright shade of blue, his shining mane and tail the deepest black. He was handsome in his own right – if it weren’t for the threat that he emanated.

The bright blue eyes took in both Celestia and Luna. The large stallion chuckled deeply, shaking his mane and focusing his eyes on the elder sister.

“You’re still alive, I see. After all these years. Are you bored of it yet, Celestia?”

“You are not welcome here. Return to where you came from and rule over your lawless creatures.”

The stallion laughed. “Lawless? Celestia, surely you jest. Look at your precious Equestria – sunk into darkness by the ruler of said ‘lawless creatures’. Can you not see that my magic surpasses yours? I have spent countless years regaining what was taken from me, and soon not even your parents will be able to stop me.”

Celestia narrowed her eyes and dropped her head, challenging the stallion. He merely scoffed at her. “Don’t waste my time, Celestia. I’m not here to overthrow you today. I have come to bring the Bringer of Light home with me so I can come overthrow you another day.”

“I am not going anywhere with you!” Celestia shouted, shaking her mane violently. “You can’t-“

“You fool,” the stallion said dully. “You don’t honestly think you’re the only one, do you? Come now, Celestia. You know as much of the glorious olden days as I do. Or perhaps you should ask your dear little sister?”

Celestia’s head whipped around to face Luna, but the younger Princess kept her eyes on the stallion. “There is no Eos.”

He merely smiled pityingly at her. “I have waited a long time for dawn to come. I think it’s about time, is it not?”

“Luna, what is he talking about?”

“It’s just like us, Celestia,” Luna replied dully. “I mean, before Nightmare Moon... Bringers of night need the bringer of light to balance them. The old stories say that there was a mare in the Colt of the Moon named Eos. She was just as hungry for power as the Colt himself, but lacked the actual power to pursue it. She chased it as she could and soon discovered the source of the Colt’s power. She harnessed it for her own use and was just at the height of it when Hyperion and Theia banished the Colt’s followers.”

“She’s been gone for a very long time, my saffron goddess of daylight,” the stallion sighed longingly. “But worry not, Celestia. I’ll return.”

“Why would you come here and let me know of your plans? It would be nothing to banish you – to destroy your followers-“

The stallion chuckled. “But you won’t, Celestia. You have no power where I am from, and to destroy me you will first have to destroy your friend.”

The darkness faded suddenly. Bright sunlight washed Equestria in a cheerful warmth, beckoning all to enjoy her fruitful days yet again; but nopony moved. The stillness stretched for countless minutes, as though the land itself was holding a deep breath. And then, suddenly –

“Scootaloo, stop!”

A stallion’s voice… The song… Saffron goddess of daylight… Saffron… The song…

“No, no, NO!” Luna screamed, launching forward to stop the young pegasus before she reached the stallion. But he grabbed her tail in his teeth and yanked her back sharply, sending her crashing to the ground. Scootaloo hovered nearby, but when she heard Rainbow Dash’s voice behind her she flew straight toward the blue stallion. He smirked back at Celestia and Luna.

“Drawn by her true calling. Don’t worry, dear Princess, I’ll be kind to her. And the next time you see her, you’ll be bowing before her instead of demanding that she bow before you.”

For a split second, it seemed as though Scootaloo changed direction and went toward Luna. The younger Princess scrambled to her hooves and ran toward her, but she vanished in a flash of red light – along with the stallion.

Luna and Rainbow Dash came face to face, as the pegasus had been flying after the youngster blindly. They stared wordlessly at each other, reflecting the horror and complete helplessness they saw. Finally Rainbow Dash collapsed at Luna’s hooves with a dull wail, exhausted and in shock.

Luna turned toward Celestia, her eyes burning. “You could have prevented this.” There was anger in her voice Celestia hadn’t heard for over a thousand years – not since she had refused to lower the moon. “If you had just listened to me – let me speak to the strangers-“

“Luna, please…”

“No!” the younger sister screamed. “What will it take for you to acknowledge the past? The threats facing our land? When will you protect your followers with the same determination you had back then? Do the stakes have to be banishing your own sister for you to act? Have I not come home to you, proven that I have changed, and stood by your side? Or am I still Nightmare Moon to everypony?”

Canterlot lay still below her, stunned by the cruel words. A blue aura surrounded Rainbow Dash, gingerly lifting her gasping form from the ground; Luna’s eyes seemed to burn under the glow surrounding her horn. “I will protect Equestria if you will not.”

With that, Luna took to the sky, carrying Rainbow Dash in her magic. The pegasus didn’t move after being gently deposited into Luna’s bed, and the Princess stood awkwardly by her side. Rainbow Dash’s pupils were small, her limbs limp, her breathing quick and uneven. She gave a low occasional cry, calling for Scootaloo or Twilight Sparkle; finally, Luna could bear her torment no more. She lowered her head and touched her horn to Rainbow Dash’s forehead, closing her eyes. The blue aura covered the young unicorn, and the Princess spoke gently.

“Rest. No evil will come to you in your dreams while you are under my care. Let your mind be at ease.”

For a brief minute, Rainbow Dash’s eyes came into focus. She gazed up at Luna before closing her eyes, breathing slowly and evenly. Luna stepped back and sighed, then turned and walked purposely to her door. They swung open and she stepped outside, where her ever vigilant guards saluted her.

“Let nopony enter this room while I am away – not even Celestia herself. Post a watch at the windows. A young pegasus is in there – if she awakens before I return, send for me at once.”

“Yes. Princess,” came a chorus of voices, and then Luna was gone.