• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 459 Views, 0 Comments

Myths of the Night - VelasBane



An ancient evil returns to Equestria, seeking to reclaim his lost power and plunge the lands into darkness eternal.

  • ...
 0
 459

Scootaloo

It had taken her a long time, but eventually ‘leave it be’ is exactly what Luna did. The first few weeks she would always search for her three spies, and she spent many nights asking her mother to share her secrets, but she had neither seen nor heard anything since then. She figured the three had been from Cloudsdale and had taken a roundabout route home to confuse her; the more she thought on it, the sillier the idea of a still-surviving Colt of the Moon sounded.

What she had opted to do in her time is spend more of it in Ponyville. While Celestia spent much of her time in Canterlot, as she had for thousands of years, it was Ponyville where Luna had learned to ground herself, and thus the citizens of Ponyville had her utmost loyalty. Celestia grew to accept and encourage these trips; she knew that Luna had missed out on a thousand years of growing up, playing, and learning, and learning from others was more nurturing than simply from books.

It was the eve of Ponyville’s annual Winter Wrap Up and Twilight Sparkle was holding a meeting in the library to discuss the day. The Team Leaders were in attendance, though the meeting was open to all; many colts and fillies that were joining the teams for the first time came to the meeting to get a feel for how the day would go.

Applejack had catered treats, and Twilight Sparkle had prepared tea. Princess Luna remained off to the side some, allowing the Team Leaders, the Mayor, and the All Team Organizer to sit together. The Princess was instead flanked by youngsters, wearing their colors for the first time. Scootaloo, still a blankflank, was all gangly legs and wings but a superb flier; she was joining Rainbow Dash on the Weather Team this year. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were both joining the Animal Team and had developed their cutie marks during the winter. Apple Bloom had a large red apple that looked as though it had been constructed from planks of wood; she had acquired it while helping Big Macintosh and Applejack repair damage to their barn caused by a fallen limb. Sweetie Belle’s was a sixteenth music note ascending upward. Though she was known for being a loud and boisterous singer, she had developed hers singing to her sister Rarity when she had developed a nasty cold over the winter.

Apple Bloom seemed to have broken her family’s long-standing tradition of the Apple family receiving their cutie marks last in the class, though not by much; only Scootaloo remained unmarked. The pegasus seemed to bear it all in stride, though, and was happy for her fellow Crusaders.

“…while the grounded Weather Team will begin with scoring the ice, just like we did last year. Nice and small. They will then split into two groups and join the Animal and Plant teams. As soon as the animals have been safety woken and moved – Amethyst Star, I need you to make sure everyone is out before we proceed – have Fluttershy send the signal to the weather team to get the clouds cleared out. Once they’ve finished that,…”

Luna glanced around the gathered ponies. Even the youngsters, though some looked tired, had their fullest attention devoted to the leaders. It was almost like Twilight Sparkle was telling them a story, not outlining every movement they would soon be making; and as the long speech drew to an all-too-sudden close, an excitement began to spark through the room. The youngsters began to shift and mumble among themselves.

“…only when the birds have settled in their nests. As soon as the field is sowed and planted and once the Team Leaders have given the all clear, they will report to me. I will inform the Mayor, and she will declare the end of this year’s Winter Wrap Up.”

“And then we PARTY!”

Pinkie Pie’s declaration was met with a raucous stamping and howling of approval from all, particularly the youngsters. Luna joined in gleefully, raising her tea cup to join in Winter’s Final Toast. The meeting over, many ponies began to politely excuse themselves and drift home to rest for the day ahead. As the ponies filed out, Luna followed them and stood in the snow outside of the library, her eyes turned toward the sky. She was about to step back in to bid the remaining ponies farewell when somepony came up beside her.

“Princess Luna?”

Luna glanced down at Scootaloo and smiled. But before the young mare could say anything, the Princess spoke gently to her.

“I know you are troubled, young Scootaloo. Come. Let us speak in private.”

Luna rose gracefully, and Scootaloo followed her. A wisp of black cloud formed under the Princess several feet above the tallest bough of the library, which she settled into comfortably. Scootaloo landed awkwardly before her, but Luna smiled kindly at her.

“Tell me your troubles.”

Scootaloo looked down. “Remember how a long time ago, I asked you how you raised the moon, and you mentioned the song you hear at sunset? Do you hear it at sunrise, too?”

Luna frowned and shook her head. “The daysong belongs to her and her alone. Why?”

“Well… I hear something. I hear it at sunrise, and if I’m able to, I love to watch it. I feel the urge to be up there, I guess doing what you two do. Moving the sun and the moon. I love the sunset, but I don’t feel as strongly tied to it.”

Luna smiled. “Some ponies have certain things that call to them, young Scootaloo. Sometimes it’s a stronger calling than the cutie mark calling. I-“

“No, Princess, you don’t understand.” Her voice dropped. “It’s not a calling. I hear – I hear the song clearly. A stallion’s voice.”

Luna stared evenly at Scootaloo, unsure of what to do with this revelation. She wasn’t sure if her father or mother had ever spoken to other ponies; surely, some of the more sensitive ones had heard their voices too?

“I think that’s why I haven’t gotten my cutie mark yet,” Scootaloo said quietly. “I’ve been waiting for it to be something to do with my scooter, but nothing’s happened yet. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. Maybe I need to look to the sky.”

“It will come in time, young one,” Luna said soothingly. “Some ponies have waited until adulthood to find their calling in life; there is no shame in it. You have yet to find your true purpose, but there is fun in that, too – it means you can try new things, and someday you’ll find what you seek.”

Scootaloo looked unconvinced, but she nodded. “Thanks, Princess. I’ll try.”

Luna chuckled and spread her wings, banishing the cloud from under them and gliding down to the earth with the young mare. Twilight Sparkle was waiting for them.

“It sounds like tomorrow will be a successful Wrap Up, Twilight Sparkle.”

The unicorn dipped her head. “I didn’t know where I would fit in at first; I tried all of the teams and failed all of the teams. It’s tradition to not use magic, but when I tried to cheat, it failed even more spectacularly. I finally realized that I could use my organization skills to keep everyone on track and iron out any hiccups we might have found along the way. It worked perfectly for everyone!”

Luna smiled at her. “Well spoken. Your intelligence shows; Celestia did well to take you as her personal protégé.” She glanced toward the center of town, where her chariot was waiting. “I should take my leave. I wish you the best of luck in your Winter Wrap Up tomorrow.”

Twilight Sparkle and Scootaloo dipped their heads to Luna as she took her leave. Once the chariot was being pulled off by the dragon-winged stallions, Twilight turned to Scootaloo.

“Did you ask her?”

Scootaloo kicked the dirt and sighed. “Sort of. I didn’t ask to watch, but I asked about the song.”

“What did she say?”

“She said to wait and see what my calling is.”

Twilight smiled soothingly. “It is very good advice - you won't find out until it's time." She hesitated, then added: "Do you want to stay here tonight? We have plenty of room and-“

“No, thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The young pegasus left the librarian standing alone, staring thoughtfully after her. She could sense the discomfort pressing at Scootaloo's mind, and she wished vainly for a way to soothe the trouble brewing in her heart. But all she could think to do now was whisper quietly after her, “Princesses, please guide her…”