• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 458 Views, 0 Comments

Myths of the Night - VelasBane



An ancient evil returns to Equestria, seeking to reclaim his lost power and plunge the lands into darkness eternal.

  • ...
 0
 458

Sugarcube Corner

Luna weathered the same flustered panic from Mr. and Mrs. Cake at Sugarcube Corner with good humor as they frantically set up a long table and began to bring out trays of cakes and treats. Pinkie Pie bounced around eagerly, throwing confetti, balloons, and any other decorations she could lay hoof on around the shop. Word of Luna’s coming had spread, and the shop was filling quickly with eager citizens and well-wishers. Twilight Sparkle’s friends, the Mayor, and the young were given first priority in the shop; Luna found herself flanked by Twilight Sparkle on one side and Rainbow Dash on the other. Applejack had arrived bearing some sweets and apples from the farm, which the Cakes graciously accepted. Everypony surrounded Luna as best they could, and the press became deeper as the young fillies and colts of Ponyville crushed in. Many begged her to become Nightmare Moon and scare them; when Twilight sensed Luna’s discomfort, she slammed a hoof on the table.

“Everypony, give the Princess some air! She has to breathe too!”

The crowd shuffled back, and Luna exhaled gratefully. She smiled shyly, her teal eyes peeking out from under the blue lock of mane that fell over them.

“I thank you, fair citizens, for welcoming me on such short notice. It has been a long time since my last visit… I do not get out often in the day, but today I felt it appropriate to come visit my friends here.”

“And we’re just delighted,” Mrs. Cake chimed in. “Please help yourself, everypony!”

A buzz of conversation and laughter echoed from the shop as the ponies of Ponyville told their Princess their stories, myths, and woes. Luna chimed in as she could, though she was careful to avoid mentioning the truth of her visit. The Cakes, even in their surprise, were top-notch hosts, expertly mixing Applejack’s treats with their own to create a wonderfully satisfying spread.

“Princess Luna,” one of the younger fillies chimed in – an orange pegasus with a magenta mane and no cutie mark, “is it true that you really raise the moon at night?”

Luna smiled, nudging Twilight Sparkle as she started to chastise the young pegasus. “I do.”

“How do you do it?”

Luna frowned thoughtfully. “What is your name, young one?”

“Scootaloo! I’m a Cutie Mark Crusader!”

Luna smiled and sat back, glancing around the shop. Eager faces greeted her, and she realized that very few of the Ponyville citizens had likely watched Celestia raise the sun, and she was a recent addition to their lives…

“Well,” she said quietly, looking back to Scootaloo. “It begins at sunset. I-“

“Sunrise and sunset’re my favorite time of-mmmmpgghhh.” The young pegasus trailed off sullenly as one of the nearby youngsters clamped a hoof over her mouth. Luna chuckled and continued.

“It was like this when I was younger, too; I do not know if it will remain the same way. I begin to hear a song in my heart as the sun sets, almost a beckoning. It feels as though the moon and stars are calling to me. I fly into the sky as the sun sets, and once it sinks below the horizon I drop with it until the last ray of the sun had completely vanished. And then I raise again as the song becomes louder and bring the moon up with me. She takes over from there; as the sky fades to darkness, she beckons the stars out.

I normally remain in the air for quite some time… Dancing in the darkness, as my sister calls it. Nighttime is so joyful and peaceful to me, and I love to be able to herald it in every day.”

“I like the stars,” one voice murmured shyly from the crowd. Others began to add their opinions of the night, even if it was something about a fear of the darkness. Luna frowned thoughtfully then stood, leaping gracefully over the table. She landed delicately in the center of the crowd.

“Do not fear the darkness and the shadows,” she said gently, turning her gaze out the window. The rest of Ponyville followed her eyes, curious. “My night is beautiful and peaceful. I will bring no monsters.” That’s not who I am anymore, she added silently. She moved cautiously through the crowd and knelt down among the youngest ponies present. “I bring only the lullaby of the moon, the melodies of the stars, the protective blanket of the night sky.” Her great wings extended and spread over their heads, shadowing them; the young giggled and pranced around before breaking free and running outside.

Luna stood slowly. Never had she felt so good about what she did at night, but the Colt of the Moon and those three pegasi were still nagging her. She glanced at Twilight Sparkle, relieved to see a look of warm approval on her face, before her gaze fell to Rainbow Dash.

Of course.

She could not leave off her ceremonies to chase down the strange watchers, but perhaps the fastest flier in all of Equestria could. Luna folded her wings at her side and approached the table, leaning in to murmur, “Twilight Sparkle, once the festivities have ended, could you bring your friend Rainbow Dash to the library?” The unicorn responded with a confused look but a quick nod, and Luna resumed mingling – though she made an effort to drift out of the café. Twilight Sparkle leaned in to speak to Rainbow Dash, and the two of them began to edge toward the door as well.

Once outside, however, Princess Luna stopped suddenly; Twilight Sparkle bumped right into her as she slid out of Sugarcube Corner. She peeked around the Princess and gave a cry of surprise.

“Princess Celestia!”

Princess Celestia's carriage had pulled up wordlessly; nopony in the bakery had noticed her arrival. She stood next to it, her mauve eyes studying her younger sister sternly; but when Twilight Sparkle spoke, she broke her gaze and smiled at her. “Twilight Sparkle, I see you are treating my younger sister to a wonderful afternoon at the finest bakery in all of Equestria.”

Twilight Sparkle stepped up to Luna and gave an excited nod as the ponies gathered in Sugarcube Corner crushed out to cheer and welcome Celestia. “I am, Princess Celestia! She came down on a surprise visit today, and what’s a trip to Ponyville without a trip to Sugarcube Corner?”

“And the library,” Celestia said musingly, her eyes falling to Luna. The younger sister quailed under Celestia’s gaze, but it was apparent that she would not start anything among their subjects. Instead, Celestia smiled at the gathered citizens.

“I shall return some other time. I came to gather Luna; we have an important meeting to attend to this afternoon. I will be sure you have enough notice for the next trip.”

A ripple of laughter passed through the crowd. Celestia climbed back into the carriage as Luna glanced back at Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash, forcing a small smile.

“Well, what’s the worst she can do? Banish me to the moon?”

“Not for curiosity,” Twilight said sadly after her, watching the young Princess follow her older sister to the gleaming golden chariot. Rainbow Dash glanced at Twilight with a frown. “What did she want to see me about?”

“I have my suspicions, Rainbow Dash, but I can’t say them now. I have to get back home.”

The pegasus was left bewildered as Twilight Sparkle galloped toward the library, offering no further explanation.