• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 992 Views, 74 Comments

To Love a Pet - Creative Charmer



Wanting a pet of her own, Sweetie Belle comes across a porcupine in the woods, and creates a great friendship with the creature. However, she soon learns the hardest factor of owning a pet...

  • ...
2
 74
 992

Chapter 3 - The CMC Decision

Lester chewed happily on the lettuce leaves given to him by Sweetie Belle. He had not tasted this type of plant before, and was certainly enjoying trying something new.

Sweetie Belle was experiencing much glee in feeding her pet for the first time, feeling more and more like a real pet owner. Simultaneously, though, she contained feelings of disappointment because her friends were not at the clubhouse when she and Lester had arrived, as she was feeling so very eager to introduce him to her friends.

After their initial arrival, Sweetie Belle was going to leave to find her friends, but was stopped in her tracks when there came upon her ears that of a trifling growling. She turned her head back towards the source of the noise, and saw Lester, whom was sitting on his bottom, grasping his belly with his paws.

“Awww, poor little guy. You must be hungry,” she walked over and rubbed his head gently. “Don’t worry, Lester. We have plenty of yummy food for a pet like you to eat.”

Sweetie Belle trotted over to the cupboard that lie in a corner of the clubhouse and opened it, looking around for what would be best to feed Lester. After rummaging for a bit, she found a few large leaves of lettuce in the cupboard, taking them out with her mouth and carrying them over to Lester, who promptly began wolfing the vegetables down. “Boy, you really are hungry,” Sweetie said as she watched him gobble away.

Midway through his meal, Lester stopped munching and coughed a bit, after which he resumed his eating like nothing had happened. This caused some concern for Sweetie Belle

“I know you’re hungry, but you shouldn’t eat too fast, or else you’ll make yourself cough like that," Lester took notice of Sweetie's request, and not wanting to worry her, began to chew his food at a more leisurely pace. Sweetie was pleased by his cooperation, and wished her friends were here to see what a great pet owner she had become. That is when Sweetie remembered that her friends were not at the clubhouse, and she felt disappointed by these thoughts, which is where we had started.

But, as luck would have it, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo came trotting through the front door, both surprised to see Sweetie Belle standing alone in the clubhouse, her back facing the two of them. Sweetie turned her head back upon hearing the door open, and when she saw her friends, she became quite keyed up.

"Guys! You're here!" she exclaimed with excitement as she turned partly towards her friends. "I was hoping you'd come here today!"

"Why's that?"

"Do you have an idea on how we can get our cutie marks??"

"I have something even better! Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, I'd like you to meet," she stepped to the side. "Lester!" Lester stopped eating for a moment to look at Sweetie's friends, who both gasped with astonishment from this unexpected surprise.

"Is that a..."

"...porcupine..?"

"Sure is! And he's not just a porcupine—he's my new pet!" Sweetie said as she walked over to Lester and scratched under his chin, much to his delight.

"Wooooow..." the two fillies expressed in unison.

"You were right," said Apple Bloom. "This really is better than an idea for how we can get cutie marks!"

"Ehhh...yeah, okay" Scootaloo agreed hesitatingly. She and Apple Bloom then trotted over to Lester, who had gone back to eating his lunch.

"Where'd yah find him at?"

"In the woods near Sweet Apple Acres. Although it took a lot of convincing to get him to come near me. He was pretty afraid of me when we first met," Sweetie then noticed Lester bumping her leg with his snout, and saw that he had finished his meal. She then proceeded to rub him on the head the way he adored so much.

"Well, he sure seems to like you now!"

"He sure does! We're the best of friends a pony and a porcupine could be!"

"I guess I can't argue with that," Scootaloo said.

"Why not?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Because I don't know any other ponies and porcupines who are friends."

"Ohhhhhhh..."

"Isn't he just the cutest, most fun pet you've ever seen?" Sweetie asked her friends as she continued rubbing the head of her pet.

"You've obviously never met Tank" an unimpressed Scootaloo stated.

"And Winona's really fun to play with, too!"

"Well, those pets may be fun to play with, but I'll always like Lester most of all!"

During Sweetie's whole conversation with her friends, Lester had been gradually moving his head upwards as Sweetie rubbed his head, with Sweetie's hoof moving down his head the higher he lifted his body up, and eventually the porcupine lifted his body up so high that he accidentally tumbled backwards onto his back, much to the surprise of him and Sweetie Belle. However, Sweetie Belle thought of something amusing to do, so, taking advantage of the situation, she began to rub Lester's belly with both her hooves, which caused the ticklish porcupine to start chuckling uncontrollably, with Sweetie Belle doing a bit of tittering herself.

"Well...I'll admit he does look a bit like fun," Scootaloo said.

"And he's real cute, too!" Apple Bloom said in adoration. These comments made Sweetie Belle smile with delight of her friend's approval of Lester.

Just then, Lester coughed several times, which made Sweetie Belle stop rubbing his belly. "Oh my! Did I tickle you too hard, Lester?" Lester rolled back on all fours, slowed his coughing to a halt, and shook his head at Sweetie Belle. "Phew...that's good. I wouldn't want to hurt my new best pet friend," she lovingly nuzzled her snout against his.

"So, what are you going to do with him now?"

Sweetie turned her head towards Scootaloo. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, where are you gonna take him?"

"Take him? Why would I take him anywhere? He's already home!"

"Wait, you mean he's going to stay here at the clubhouse??" she said in disbelief, with Apple Bloom looking just as surprised as her.

"Well, yeah! We've got everything Lester needs right here—aaaas soon as we add a few more things he needs," she looked around, imagining what she wanted to get for Lester and where to put it all.

"Why can't you just take him home?"

"I don't think that would work out. Not only do I not know if my parents would let me have a pet, they probably wouldn't want me to have a porcupine as a pet, because they would think me or somepony else could get hurt by his quills, or at least some type of accident would happen. No offense, Lester," Lester looked okay with what she said. "Anyways, it's better to just leave him here, since nopony ever comes to the clubhouse when we're not around," both of Sweetie's friends looked unsure with her suggestion.

"Ah don't know..."

"Yeah, me neither."

Sweetie Belle could see their uncertainty, and thought quickly for a solution that would keep Lester at clubhouse. Her eyes sparked with the formation of her idea. "Hey! How about if Lester stays here, he can become the mascot for the Cutie Mark Crusaders!"

"Mascot??" Scootaloo said in astonishment. "Really??" she said with bit more excitement.

"That's a great idea!" Apple Bloom said joyfully. "We've never had a mascot before! This'll make the Cutie Mark Crusaders even greater!"

"Yeah!"

"Fer sure!"

"Then it's agreed!" Sweetie bent down to Lester's face. "You hear that, Lester? You're gonna stay here and be our mascot!" Lester was overcome with joy with not only his new position in the CMC association, but that he had a new home and would continue to be Sweetie Belle's pet and best friend. He couldn't be happier, and it showed as he hopped up and down to go along with the joyous cheering of the fillies, albeit it was cut short by a loud sneeze from Lester, which dropped him flat upon the ground, nonetheless happy still.